Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Liverpudlian and playing for the opposition!

Read 1928 times
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,038 posts | 335 
      Liverpudlian and playing for the opposition!
      Aug 31, 2015 10:51:47 pm
      Having listened to a Talk Sport debate about how the Premier League 'Big Boys' are squandering millions on unproven foreign youngsters at the expense of their own home-grown lads, and after seeing Aaron Cresswell play so well for West Ham against us, I though I'd start a topic on Scousers playing for other clubs. 
      I don't mean to wind up anybody with this, but it's a bug bear of mine that we lack local talent among the playing staff at the moment (Flano apart). 
      Which Liverpool/Merseyside born and raised players would be/might be good enough to grace the red shirt, had they not found employment elsewhere?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Liverpudlian and playing for the opposition!
      Reply #1: Aug 31, 2015 11:35:00 pm
      I'm not sure any of them that would play for us, would be good enough to play for us. Just look at Lambert as the prime example. Most of them went through either our or Everton's Academy and were released because they didn't make the cut. Given that more English Premier League players come from the City of Liverpool than anywhere else in the U.K., it's a worrying trend that so many are being released. Rooney is the last Liverpool born player in the Premier League that currently plays for one of the top sides in the country, the rest seem to be spread between newly promoted and mid-table teams. United have only one player in their squad from Manchester, Everton only have two and one of them is on the verge of retirement. It's a worrying trend for all non-London Clubs, I suspect.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,038 posts | 335 
      Reply #2: Sep 01, 2015 12:04:57 am
      One player who often impresses me is Scott Dann, reportedly an LFC fan and somebody i vaguely recall us being linked with a few seasons back. I'm sure he'd do a job for us.  Palace's player of the season last season.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #3: Sep 01, 2015 01:20:51 am
      I said we should get callum mcmanaman and ppl thought i was crazy. Still think hes a good player would have been better than alberto
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #4: Sep 01, 2015 03:51:24 am
      here is a thiught on the whole 'id he good enough for us issue' ...

we bought alberto, aspas, balotelli, allen, borini etc

bought and loaned markovic, illori etc

i think some of those local liverpool lads couldve been good enough...
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #5: Sep 01, 2015 11:43:10 am
      Some years ago i was always gutted that we didn't try to sign Kevin Nolan as he's our fan, born and bred in Liverpool.

The same applies to Leighton Baines.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #6: Sep 01, 2015 11:53:29 am
      One player who often impresses me is Scott Dann, reportedly an LFC fan and somebody i vaguely recall us being linked with a few seasons back. I'm sure he'd do a job for us.  Palace's player of the season last season.

Pretty sure it was Rafa who was after Dann.

Some years ago i was always gutted that we didn't try to sign Kevin Nolan as he's our fan, born and bred in Liverpool.

He's also garbage.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #7: Sep 01, 2015 12:19:20 pm
      Money is again something that's driven is away from having the pick of local talent.. It's easy to go and bring in a Markovic who another side or two have developed in recent times than it is to develop your own.

That's the perception I feel anyway of those local lads, we used to have a basic monopoly of the local talentnp matter if they were red or blue because we were the club that was seen both as successful and that promotes from within..

Look at the ones who came through in the 90s
      Fowler
      Macca
      Owen
      Gerrard
      Carra
      To name 5 most successful, 3 of them were Blues but the better opportunity locally was Liverpool, Carra even went to Everton for a year but came back over as the set up and progression lanes were better here.

It's no coincidence that the two biggest talent to come out of merseyside in the last decade or so (Rooney-Barkley) have come through their academy than ours as we flood ours with kids from abroad, kids from different part of our country who we pay fees for and scatter gun buy players to fill roles

The best will always filter through as those 7 named above have but nowadays it seems Everton are seen as a better progression route than us locally

The rest will come through too and earn livings (Thompson/Spearing etc)but if they are good enough for us as the likes of Nolan et al probably wouldn't be they move on and forge careers elsewhere but I do often question the progression route at Liverpool now for local lads as opposed to brought in lads

Look at Rossiter right now, it's great to see him around, but who will Rodgers fall back on? Rossiter or the likes of Can when even the first choice are out? I hope Rossiter makes it and he has fought his way through but ultimately if he gets a career here like as opposed if he would get one at the blues having come through their system is something the local lads and their parents consider
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #8: Sep 01, 2015 12:41:49 pm
      I said we should get callum mcmanaman and ppl thought i was crazy. Still think hes a good player would have been better than alberto

Seen him in Smugglers Cove on the docks on Sat night. Nice lad, apart from being a bluenose.

Agree though, not good enough to start for us but would be a very good squad player. Gives it 100% every game and that's all you can ask.

I was cheeky and asked how much he is on too. He told me 32k. So I'm sure even FSG would stump that up  :lmao:
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #9: Sep 10, 2015 05:46:31 am
      Fleming at Morecambe could do a job xD

Quick Reply