Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?

Read 12205 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Oct 07, 2015 05:23:08 pm
      I'm really hoping it's going to be Jürgen Klopp, and if it is the last thing I want to do is put any pressure on the fella. Despite us being unbeaten in half a dozen games and still in the cups, he is taking over a team which isn't playing well at all. The squad is desperately low on confidence, and within it there are a bunch of players who being kind have still to find their feet, if you were critical you would say they aren't ever going to be good enough.

In the space of a couple of days he has to cobble together some sort of game plan for a very difficult game at Spurs (remember they destroyed Man City 4-1) and then take us forward from there. He has injuries to a couple of key players to contend with, as well as in all probability a squad which isn't best suited to his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation. I've no doubt he will smash the press conferences and the like, but realistically and not being silly, what can we hope for?

I'm convinced the players are good enough to launch a top four challenge. Arsenal and Man City are the best two teams in the league by a street, and it looks like Man Utd, Chelsea and Tottenham will be our other rivals should Jürgen get the bandwagon going. I'm not sure we'll get there this season given our current shiteness, but I'd like to see us have a good go. In the cups we are going to need a bit of luck, but again I'd like to see us have a good pop at it. Most of all though I'd like to see us play with a bit of intent, to genuinely become difficult to play against, to rediscover our big club mentality. I'd like to see us defend properly, to get bodies in the box when we're on the attack, and I'd like to see and hear Anfield being a cauldron again.

I can take not winning any trophies for a bit as I'm used to that anyway, but I want us to become contenders again, to have that belief that we are actually going someplace. Please God let it be Jürgen Klopp, and please God let him come in and kick over some statues. It's time, come the the hour cometh the man.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?
      Reply #1: Oct 07, 2015 05:29:19 pm
      Good opening post

All I want initially is some unity, discipline and passion brought back to the club both on and off the field

After that I want the new boss to be given some time and patience to survey the situation at the club, for players to fully understand that they are all on trial and see if they are talented and committed enough to step up to the challenge and for the owners to back the manager if he feels he needs to change up the squad.

The end goal for this season I would hope for would be to be in the top 5 and to have a few cup runs.

The problem at our club isn't just down to the manager and the players.

It is deeper and far wider that just that.

Give the new man some time and hope that all the custodians of our great club can all move forward, expect more of themselves and others and not be afraid to make changes for the betterment of our club.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Oct 07, 2015 05:35:26 pm
      Top 4 and a trophy. Still in all the cups, still a lot of the league season to go so it is more than achievable.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #3: Oct 07, 2015 05:38:03 pm
      EL Cup win will do me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #4: Oct 07, 2015 05:39:06 pm
      I think we can realistically expect a decent shot at this CL places and a run on the cups and also a marked improvement in Europe.

I also expect and demand to see some decent football and an identity return to the side which I don't think is an unrealistic expectation to have for the new boss.

I hope though that Klopp comes in and tells the lads they can win the league.

Why?

Because we can and are far from out of it. I'm not saying we will, should it even that I'm demanding it but just the ambition to say to the boys that they can push for it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Oct 07, 2015 05:39:32 pm
      Got to be honest, can't see the point in discussing our expectations until the new boss sits his Arse in the chair, whoever that may be,

Like most I hope it is Klopp but until he's here officially I don't think we can realistically offer opinions of what we expect, if say we get Carlo,  would your expectations alter in any way?

YNWA
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #6: Oct 07, 2015 05:41:48 pm
      Got to be honest, can't see the point in discussing our expectations until the new boss sits his Arse in the chair, whoever that may be,

Like most I hope it is Klopp but until he's here officially I don't think we can realistically offer opinions of what we expect, if say we get Carlo,  would your expectations alter in any way?

YNWA

Wouldn't change my expectations stated above at all whether it's klopp, Carlo or bob the builder.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #7: Oct 07, 2015 05:41:59 pm
      Playing square pegs in square holes, selecting players in form and having both a plan A and plan B. If he achieves that the rest will fall into place
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Oct 07, 2015 06:11:17 pm
      Just play some decent football and the rest will follow.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Oct 07, 2015 06:17:34 pm
      Just play some decent football and the rest will follow.

Agreed. Get them playing nice football again then the results will follow.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #10: Oct 07, 2015 06:17:41 pm
      I'm hoping for a good run in Europe as I think it may take even Klopp a while to become accustomed to the Premier League. Like Rafa I  think Klopp will have no such problems in Europe and may even take us further than we expect, and with the reward of a CL place as a bonus to bringing home some silverware I would be more than happy with that.

I think we will finish 5th or 6th in the league but hopefully have a good run somewhere along the line and possibly even a run in one of the domestic cups.

I think it will be next season before the Klopp revolution really starts to take hold but if he can bring enthusiasm and confidence back to both the team and the fans this season he will be earning his corn.

5th, a cup and some good football along the way will do for me this season.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Oct 07, 2015 06:51:47 pm
      First thing I want him to do is steady the ship, followed by playing players in their correct position, having a plan b if it goes pear shaped, take each game as it comes and see where we are come Christmas and give the fella time, time, time.

A top 4 finish is not out of the question by any means and it would be nice to have another good cup run, anything more would be a bonus.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #12: Oct 07, 2015 07:14:27 pm

Fun
      Hope
      Belief
      Excitement
      Atmosphere
      German Efficiency

PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #13: Oct 07, 2015 07:14:31 pm
      Agree with what everyones been saying thus far: reunite the team and the fans, play players in their best positions, having more than one predictable system when it all goes t*ts up.

In terms of success, I would hope we can comfortably achieve a Europa League spot and hopefully have a good shot at the top 4, doesn't seem too far out of reach right now as the league is wide open!

A good European run would be nice as we have struggled in our last 4/5 attempts, maybe another Wembley trip too?

But the first points I feel are the most important, steady the ship and hopefully we can push on next season
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,411 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14: Oct 07, 2015 07:30:57 pm
      Galvanising the club into a common goal , hopefully the owners will see that 13-14 wasn't one off in terms  of atmosphere around the ground on match days. European qualification and good cup runs and bring the buzz back.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Oct 07, 2015 07:41:20 pm
      Nice OP !!

With new manager, and backroom staff coming in, really don't put any *expectation* on this season at all w.r.t. trophies or place in the table.

Obviously *hope* we can challenge for top4 and be in contention for trophy, but am putting that in the bonus column right now.

Am assuming Klopp, so short term should at least put more energy and purpose into our play, we've looked pretty feckin lifeless lately ... expect him to pick guys who can implement a hard pressing game, pressure when we don't have ball, attack with some numbers/quickly when we get the opportunity.
      Would think sorting out defense will take a while, not expecting us to start keeping clean sheets all of a sudden. And hope new guy won't be a 'ball up to the big man' merchant, that's caveman stuff imo, don't care who the mgr is (was big reason imo BR lost his last remaining supporters).

Not counting any chickens yet though ... first things first ... get Jürgen to sign on the dotted line...  :whip:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #16: Oct 07, 2015 09:10:36 pm
      I wanna see movement, I wanna see some creativity, I wanna see us press the fecking ball again and playing aggressively. And I wanna see some swagger back in the side at Anfield.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Oct 07, 2015 09:22:23 pm
      I wanna see movement, I wanna see some creativity, I wanna see us press the fecking ball again and playing aggressively. And I wanna see some swagger back in the side at Anfield.

Just generally a bit of effort and determination be nice like. Not seen that from the players for well over a year now.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: Oct 07, 2015 09:37:07 pm
      I think we can realistically expect a decent shot at this CL places and a run on the cups and also a marked improvement in Europe.
      Being too as we're still in both domestic cups and 'unbeaten' in Europe you might just get your wish there buddy.

And as we are only three points off fourth and four off second...  a "decent shot at top four" is hardly what you'd call setting your targets too high Si (especially given the high esteem in which you've 'always held the squad').  :laugh:

F**k it... on reading that (and everything everyone on here has written about Klopp) I've got myself convinced.

League Champions it is.  :nod: :nod:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #19: Oct 07, 2015 09:37:35 pm
      The League.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20: Oct 07, 2015 09:43:10 pm
      NO expectations.

Just bring the fun back and get us on the edge of our seats .

LIFE by football.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Oct 07, 2015 09:47:26 pm
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #22: Oct 07, 2015 09:48:04 pm
      I'd be happy with the following:

1. A clear vision for how he wants to play (formation and tactics) and what needs to be implemented (personnel) to achieve that.
      2. Improved organization and defensive solidity.
      3. A top 6 finish and a run to a final in one of the cup competitions.

Basically, this season will be for the new manager to adapt to the team and league, and identify what players are going to be part of his plans moving forward. Next season will be when the real expectations begin....

Edit:  Bonus points if he can lead us to home wins against the scum and blueshite!!

Quick Reply