Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528258 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #10258: Nov 20, 2016 01:39:54 pm
      I think it was symptomatic of a wider problem, one Klopp claimed we didn't have yet has done nothing to dispel the notion of. We're becoming one dimensional. Yesterday we had a chance to change tactics, change formation and change playing staff in order to accommodate key players being able to rest after international duty and we did't. We played the same way we always play and it back fired.

It wasn't just bad tactics either but bad man-management. What does it say to these players that even if your main guys get home from a transatlantic flight, a little more than a day before, they still won't be chosen to play? That has to be particularly galling.

Yes Klopp is a world class manager, yes we're still on course for a special season but yesterday he got it wrong on a multitude of levels.

Ridiculous post, Southampton have one of the best defences in the league and on any other day we would have won that game by 2 or 3 goals and that was with the majority of our players being off top form. In hindsight yes maybe bringing on Sturridge and Origi earlier may have helped but it wasn't as if we were struggling to create chances before they came on.
      Its a draw against a good team away form home after an international break, its hardly the end of the world. Sunderland next week should see us mightily enhance our goal difference.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #10259: Nov 20, 2016 02:06:14 pm
      I think it was symptomatic of a wider problem, one Klopp claimed we didn't have yet has done nothing to dispel the notion of. We're becoming one dimensional. Yesterday we had a chance to change tactics, change formation and change playing staff in order to accommodate key players being able to rest after international duty and we did't. We played the same way we always play and it back fired.

It wasn't just bad tactics either but bad man-management. What does it say to these players that even if your main guys get home from a transatlantic flight, a little more than a day before, they still won't be chosen to play? That has to be particularly galling.

Yes Klopp is a world class manager, yes we're still on course for a special season but yesterday he got it wrong on a multitude of levels.

What have you been smoking pal?!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10260: Nov 20, 2016 02:06:30 pm

What a bag of old cock.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #10261: Nov 20, 2016 02:09:07 pm
      Top of the league...

I'll have that..

No doubt normal service will resume next week with our obligatory one dimensional 4-1 wins ;)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10262: Nov 20, 2016 02:24:47 pm

Knee-jerk thread is that-a-way >>>>>>>>>>

Just in case you're being serious:

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH! F**k off. This is probably the 6th or 7th person to come out and say how F***ing good our one-dimensional team is.

Southampton's Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg: Liverpool are the best team I've ever played against
      Southampton midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg believes Jürgen Klopp's Liverpool are the best team he has ever played against.

The 21-year-old played 78 minutes for Southampton as they held a dominant Liverpool to a 0-0 draw at St Mary's on Saturday.

The Denmark international has played against some of the most formidable teams in world football but he believes the current Reds crop are the pick of the bunch.

"I played in Germany against Bayern Munich and Dortmund, I played against Manchester City in the Champions League, but I must say this is maybe the best team I have ever played against," he told southamptonfc.com.

"It's unbelievable how they move, how they stand, how they work together – it's like a symphony.

"It's not only that they move the ball quickly," he added, "they also have fast players, and with the ball they are very good one against one.

Liverpool were left to rue a number of missed chances as they failed to score for only the third time this season.

And despite recent success on home turf against the Reds, Hojbjerg says his side were pleased to secure a "fantastic" point.

"We should be happy with the one point, but it's not that I say this is not our level. We can come up here and we have something to say up here and we showed that today."

Højbjerg added: "As always, the best is to win, but against a fantastic team like Liverpool you have to realise that a point is a fantastic result.

"They have a fantastic team and I must say the tempo of the game was unbelievably high, but with the support of the fans, with the bravery of the team and the good spirit we had a solid performance and that's what it's all about."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hojbjerg-liverpool-best-team-ive-12203683
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10263: Nov 20, 2016 02:45:34 pm
      One dimensional suggests predictability and easy to set up against, play against and beat.

Sure we play one type of football, fast, fluid and attacking where no f**ker on the opposing side has a clue who to mark, who to pick up, who to track and who will pop up somewhere you least expect and cause damage.

If that's one dimensional then I'm all for it  ;D

Bang on! Being one dimensional is only a problem when you're a team like West Brom or Man United who just hoof everything upfield and put 10 men behind the ball for 90 minutes or a team that rarely creates enough chances to get points on a consistent basis. When our one dimensional play still results in us creating clear goal scoring opportunities on an off day then how the F**k is that a bad thing? I'm signing from a hymn sheet and it definitely isn't 5timesacharm's.

Also, a point can not be seen as a bad thing away at Southampton. They've now lost just 2 games in 21 in all comps at home (2 in 16 in the league) with Chelsea being the team on both occasions. That's not a record to be fu**ed with and taken lightly. At home, what they do they do well.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10264: Nov 20, 2016 04:36:51 pm

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #10265: Nov 20, 2016 04:52:07 pm
      Still smiling despite the weather... ;D
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #10266: Nov 20, 2016 09:58:52 pm
      The only criticism I have of Klopp is his reluctance to use Studge instead of Can.  Emre seems out of sorts in our team -- everything is slick, smooth, and quick until the ball makes its way to him.... 

If one of Lallana, Hendo, or Wijnaldum are injured/suspended, I'd much rather see Coutinho drop into midfield with Studge coming into the forward line.  If Lallana is still out next weekend, then hopefully will see Danny given a chance from the start. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #10267: Nov 20, 2016 10:28:14 pm
      Firmino, Clyne and Mane should all have scored. I don't think Southampton managed a shot and whilst one of their players said we were the best side he has ever faced another one of their players and their manager said they were very lucky to have not been on the end of a hiding.

It wouldn't go in yesterday but we didn't get beat yet some are just waiting to stick it in to the manager.

Do we expect him to stick the ball in the f**king net himself now?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #10268: Nov 20, 2016 10:36:49 pm
      The only criticism I have of Klopp is his reluctance to use Studge instead of Can.  Emre seems out of sorts in our team -- everything is slick, smooth, and quick until the ball makes its way to him.... 

If one of Lallana, Hendo, or Wijnaldum are injured/suspended, I'd much rather see Coutinho drop into midfield with Studge coming into the forward line.  If Lallana is still out next weekend, then hopefully will see Danny given a chance from the start.

Agreed.

I think he should have used Studge too, I have no idea why he left the substitution so late.

But your point about Can is spot on IMO, he doesn't seem a natural fit with 'slick, smooth and quick' football. He disrupts the midfield in that respect and slows it down, it's been noticeable ever since he's been in the side.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #10269: Nov 21, 2016 07:53:59 am
      Agreed.

I think he should have used Studge too, I have no idea why he left the substitution so late.

But your point about Can is spot on IMO, he doesn't seem a natural fit with 'slick, smooth and quick' football. He disrupts the midfield in that respect and slows it down, it's been noticeable ever since he's been in the side.

To be fair to him though, Emre strikes me as a player who needs quite a few games for him to get up to speed. Think he's been out for a while until recently hasn't he?

Didn't watch the match so can't comment on performance but from what I've read we had plenty of chances to win the game so I find it difficult to criticise the boss if that was the case.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #10270: Nov 21, 2016 08:52:26 am
      To be fair to him though, Emre strikes me as a player who needs quite a few games for him to get up to speed. Think he's been out for a while until recently hasn't he?

Didn't watch the match so can't comment on performance but from what I've read we had plenty of chances to win the game so I find it difficult to criticise the boss if that was the case.

Yes he does take some games to get going. But that wasn't my point, his style isn't best suited to the tight areas that Lallana's is - if you get my drift. Two different players who bring different things to the game and for a packed Soton defense, obviously as many have said, Lallana missing the game took away something that Can couldn't offer. Which brings me to Sturridge, and the reluctance to bring him on for a decent amount of time, I think it's certainly a fair critique and I've seen and heard many Reds fans questioning the same thing.

According to BBC stats, we only had 2 shots on target, 15 in total - we didn't have 'plenty' of chances like we've had in previous games, don't get me wrong we had 3 or 4 good opportunities but nothing like we've recently seen. I think Southampton did a very good job restricting us.
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2016 09:22:21 am by Beerbelly »
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #10271: Nov 21, 2016 10:16:45 am
      I thought it was a good professional performance against a team who set up not to get beat. Also a typical post international break performance with most players looking really leggy.
      Had we taken our 2 clear chances (Firmino & Clyne), then naturally most would be over the moon...however the draw was not the worst result.
      I think JK could have introduced the substitutes alot earlier though.
      On to the next one.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #10272: Nov 21, 2016 11:03:15 am
      My only complain was that the subs were made too late (& in case of Origi -why?).

I thought Coutinho should have been subbed earlier and even try something different. It seems we were willing on the front three to score the goals. Perhaps, changes to Coutinho and Can (in particular) should have been made perhaps at about 70 minute mark.

Still, if win our coming games we will be there or thereabouts.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #10273: Nov 21, 2016 02:47:15 pm

some are just waiting to stick it in to the manager.

Nonsense.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10274: Nov 21, 2016 03:25:13 pm
      One dimensional suggests predictability and easy to set up against, play against and beat.

Sure we play one type of football, fast, fluid and attacking where no f**ker on the opposing side has a clue who to mark, who to pick up, who to track and who will pop up somewhere you least expect and cause damage.

If that's one dimensional then I'm all for it  ;D

Spot on. Even Saturday we only failed to get three points for lack of a good finish. Karius may as well have spent 85 minutes sampling hair care products. The other contenders have been dropping points in recent weeks as well, including Arsenal on Saturday. We have every reason to be positive.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10275: Nov 21, 2016 04:06:11 pm
      Spot on. Even Saturday we only failed to get three points for lack of a good finish. Karius may as well have spent 85 minutes sampling hair care products. The other contenders have been dropping points in recent weeks as well, including Arsenal on Saturday. We have every reason to be positive.

If we can't be positive after the start we've had I don't know when we can be mate.  Sure there's a long way to go and many things can happen but they can also happen to the others.

At least we have no interuptions to our progress as far as Internationals go for a few weeks and I expect us to be back to our clinical selves on Saturday.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10276: Nov 22, 2016 05:57:35 pm
      Like this.  I never realised how bad our results had been after Internationals in comparison to our main rivals but great to see that's changing now.

Liverpool’s post-international break improvement under Jürgen Klopp

Liverpools post-international break struggles have proven costly in recent seasons but Jürgen Klopp has overseen a promising improvement which has helped his Reds’ strong form this term.

Ahead of his first full season in charge, Klopp faced the challenge of needing to improve numerous aspects of Liverpool’s on-pitch performance.  Alongside addressing infuriating inconsistency, form at Anfield and improving results against main Premier League rivals, this included continuing to rectify Liverpools struggles in games directly after international pauses.

Klopp began this process upon arrival but was unable to fully reap the rewards last season as other problems counteracted the Reds’ progress.  But with Liverpool now improving, the marked improvement in post-international results is plain to see and has aided the Reds strong form so far this campaign.

Previous Post-International Struggles

During Septembers break, ahead of Leicesters Anfield arrival, we explored Liverpools struggles upon the domestic return – and it didn’t make for pretty reading.

Before the Foxes’ visit, the Reds’ previous 12 post-international matches across the last three campaigns brought just 14 points from 36 available with only three wins, five draws and four defeats.  Despite Klopp quickly boosting this with a win and two stalemates in 2015/16, the Reds still boasted the worst record of the traditional top-six clubs by far.

Points Gained After Internationals – 2013/14 to 2015/16

Chelsea – 30 points (from 36 available)
          Man United – 27
          Arsenal – 26
          Chelsea – 26
          Spurs – 19
          LIVERPOOL – 14

As shown, four domestic rivals collected over 25 points in the same period, with Chelsea leading the way with 30 points – more than double Liverpools total.  This brutally highlighted the struggles which continually cost Liverpool dearly, as the Reds consistently lost ground on competitors through their inability to match opponents aptitude in grinding out results.

For the strong domestic season hoped for to transpire in 2016/17, this simply had to improve.

Welcome Improvement

A much-needed upturn has now materialised, with Klopp continuing the steady progress produced in his opening period in charge.

Since arriving, the German has played six post-international fixtures and though he would undoubtedly like more points, his team have impressively remained unbeaten.

Liverpools post-internationals results under Klopp:

Drew 0-0 at Spurs
          Won 4-1 at Man City
          Drew 1-1 vs. Spurs
          Won 4-1 vs. Leicester
          Drew 0-0 vs. Man United
          Drew 0-0 vs. Southampton

TOTAL: Played 6, Won 2, Drawn 2, Lost 0 – 10 points from 18

From Klopp's first outing at White Hart Lane upon the October restart last year, Liverpool have won two and drawn four games – earning a respectable 10 points by beating Man City and Leicester, while drawing with Spurs twice, Man United and Southampton.

This is one point more than claimed under Brendan Rodgers across the last nine such occasions prior to Klopp's arrival, evidencing some progress statistically but considering the quality of opponents Klopp has faced it makes it more impressive.  Earning five points last season, the Reds have won the same total again this campaign so far, and this has ensured Liverpool have stayed in touch and even moved ahead of rivals in the table.

The Reds have made valuable ground on United, who have won only two points in post-international games, while Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Spurs are only two points better off than Klopp's side.

That the Reds are unbeaten in these games given the difficult circumstances behind such matches is extremely pleasing and it’s even more impressive considering the tough fixtures faced – undoubtedly the most testing of the clubs discussed.

Liverpool have met three direct rivals in Spurs, City and United – while facing the reigning champions and a trip to Southampton aren’t exactly straightforward fixtures you would hand pick.  Reasons are aplenty for this revival but most crucial has been the Reds improved steeliness and resilience.

Klopp warned ahead of the Southampton trip that “we can’t be the same team we were before the international break”, alluding to the impact of the untimely disruption at a moment his side were in great form but from the imperious Joel Matip to the tireless Roberto Firmino, Liverpool showed their improved toughness once more at St Marys, ensuring that though they couldn’t grab the win deserved, they most certainly wouldn’t slip to defeat.

This desire – which proved how difficult the Reds are to beat, as excellently outlined by This Is Anfield’s Henry Jackson – earned a useful point to maintain progress, despite being below par and without Adam Lallana.

Winning only two of six matches shows further improvement can be made but all factors considered, this has been a pleasing improvement – and a far cry from limping to defeat against Aston Villa and Crystal Palace.  This upturn could be attributed to better coaching on the training ground, meaning players know their roles and are prepared even with less preparation time when returning back from international duty.

Platform for Progress

Though this has been just one segment of Liverpools huge improvement, its importance to the positive campaign produced so far can’t be underestimated.

Digging deep to avoid defeat when at their most vulnerable has been crucial to continuing edging forward in a frustratingly disrupted opening to the campaign.  Each time the Reds have found their stride they’ve been infuriatingly stopped in their tracks – but picking up points, whether one or three, has ensured forward impetus has been sustained.

Hard-fought results have provided a platform to build from in games thereafter once all has settled down again and Klopp's team, so far, taken full advantage.  After thrashing Leicester, another four straight wins followed for the refreshed Reds, and Klopp's men mirrored that with four more successive victories after using the point taken against United as a springboard for further strong form.

Having earned a solid point at Southampton – which could easily have been all three – Klopp's side face a similar challenge when struggling Sunderland arrive at Anfield on Saturday.

A week to refresh and prepare gives Liverpool ideal time to re-energise and rediscover their attacking fluency to compliment the defensive resilience displayed.  Doing so will ensure another strong post-international result provides the catalyst for further positive form and the hunt for the Premier League title remains on track.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/11/post-international-break-improvement-assisted-liverpools-strong-form-season/
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10277: Nov 26, 2016 12:09:20 am
      After all the stupid uproar over Lallana and Henderson visiting a stripclub Jürgen said this:

Anfield HQ ‏@AnfieldHQ  2h2 hours ago
      Klopp: “We will celebrate Christmas underground. All the players, nobody else. No drinks. We will stay there and wait until it’s over." #lfc

:lmao: :lmao:

Who says sarcasm is hard to pick up in the written word, really made me chuckle that one.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #10278: Nov 26, 2016 12:50:17 pm
      After all the stupid uproar over Lallana and Henderson visiting a stripclub Jürgen said this:

Anfield HQ ‏@AnfieldHQ  2h2 hours ago
      Klopp: “We will celebrate Christmas underground. All the players, nobody else. No drinks. We will stay there and wait until it’s over." #lfc

:lmao: :lmao:

Who says sarcasm is hard to pick up in the written word, really made me chuckle that one.

On a similar note, Klopp got quite vexed with reporters in this weeks presser.
      It was pretty funny to watch as he cut them off at the knees and gave them a bit of a bollocking.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10279: Nov 26, 2016 01:32:34 pm
      On a similar note, Klopp got quite vexed with reporters in this weeks presser.
      It was pretty funny to watch as he cut them off at the knees and gave them a bit of a bollocking.

He did mate but it must be annoying when you go into a PC to discuss the upcoming match and the questions being asked are about Stevie or what the lads got upto on international duty.

I like that he's a bit frosty with them when they want to talk about bollocks, look at my sig, that was a classic from last season when they kept asking him about Studge and I nearly changed to his one from yesterday "ah, somebody asking about football"  ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10280: Nov 26, 2016 01:34:40 pm
      He did mate but it must be annoying when you go into a PC to discuss the upcoming match and the questions being asked are about Stevie or what the lads got upto on international duty.

I like that he's a bit frosty with them when they want to talk about bollocks, look at my sig, that was a classic from last season when they kept asking him about Studge and I nearly changed to his one from yesterday "ah, somebody asking about football"  ;D

I get that they want their story but it must be so annoying for managers, not just Klopp but managers all over the world when they're asked stupid questions about pointless sh*t.

Quick Reply