Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518628 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8510: Jul 17, 2016 09:07:29 am
      Whoa that was a long article. It almost never  ended.  ;D

Fascinating though, and much of it rings true in terms of the patterns we saw take shape during matches after Klopp's arrival. Some of the sequences of play almost became predictable, but in a good way as far as LFC gaining possession.

Interesting the stat about Joe Allen winning the ball back the most times per 90 minutes and being on the park for the highest percentage of occasions the team won it back (probably not saying that last part right but read the article and you'll see what I (it) mean(s).

Also interesting the part about the style accentuating the need for players to learn how to tackle effectively from behind. How many times did we see Moreno doing that little hop before diving in after being caught out?

Anyway, thanks much for posting this. A much-needed intelligent respite during a bit of a neurotic spell in preseason.

I agree  mate, you could almost recall exact moments in games when certain phases happened and as you say the little jump before tackles, not just from Moreno but Lallana and Firmino as well.  It's also one of the things that most people on here criticise Moreno for as being reckless, yet it seems it's what Jürgen requires.  I guess that's why we aren't looking for a replacement LB.

One thing that was really interesting is how Coutinho struggled in comparison to Lallana and Firmino in that 3 behind the striker and kind of explains why he looked out of sorts in so many games.  In the thread about which players will surprise us, I put him down as the one to disappoint because I think others will overtake him in how Jürgen wants/needs us to play.  He probably has the intelligence to change his game or improve that side of his game but if he doesn't I can see him as being the one senior player we could lose next summer.

It's going to be a fascinating journey watching the squad develop over the coming season and when the systems are so specific hopefully it'll be easier to identify who fits and who doesn't.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8511: Jul 17, 2016 10:21:40 am
      I think for some players Shabs it is not an excuse it's a fact.

Spurs do not have superstars, they have finished above us couple years in a row...
      West Ham finished above us,
      Leicester finished above us last year.

He want's to build a solid core, a solid team where he can turn around and add 1 player to fill a need in any given window not make wholesale changes every year. We need continuity, we need guys together over the long haul.
      Fact is, it's not that Leicester is full of great players its the fact that they're core had played together through 3 different leagues without interrupt or massive changes..they played as a team because of continuity, and that is what we are seeing with Spurs now.

Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Can, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge is a pretty damn good spine and most of these guys are young and can stay here...Jürgen will start filling out the rest and we can start having some stable continuity. 

Bringing in 29  players over three years  ........ costing what it did ...... f**king insane it was.

BR's comment just before he was sacked that we needed to rebuild again was nothing short of delusional.

Jürgen spent the best part of last season squeezing the lemon and got some remarkable performances out of the some of the players dare I say just playing them in their right positions.
      Can and Lovren both being a revelation.

This window he has identified his targets and brought in Karius  Mane  and Grujic  early.
      Excellent buys.

He has increased the height level of the defence across the back to take care of those set piece problems.

Interesting to note that Karius was called up for the German Olympic team and declined to go ...so he could get started with us.

The future looks very bright.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2016 10:43:41 am by MIRO »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8512: Jul 17, 2016 01:12:49 pm
      Take away the awful final I cannot be the only one believing that even with the squad we ended with last season we'd be in with a good shot of CL quali. Saw plenty from January to be really encouraged with a squad most of us thought was bereft of any talent, intelligence, personality, skill or leadership. Ultimately we fell a few points short of 4th and missed out in the final. We have a long way to go but we've also come a long way since last September/October when we were all starting to think that we were witnessing the worst Liverpool team in living memory.

There's an awful amount of negativity on here this summer that I cannot engage with. Being told that our midfield is beyond helpless, reading threads that we should forget about competing at the top end of the table and prepare for a miserable season. Come on guys.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #8513: Jul 17, 2016 01:25:28 pm
      Take away the awful final I cannot be the only one believing that even with the squad we ended with last season we'd be in with a good shot of CL quali. Saw plenty from January to be really encouraged with a squad most of us thought was bereft of any talent, intelligence, personality, skill or leadership. Ultimately we fell a few points short of 4th and missed out in the final. We have a long way to go but we've also come a long way since last September/October when we were all starting to think that we were witnessing the worst Liverpool team in living memory.

There's an awful amount of negativity on here this summer that I cannot engage with. Being told that our midfield is beyond helpless, reading threads that we should forget about competing at the top end of the table and prepare for a miserable season. Come on guys.

Might be a case of some people don't want to be blindly optimistic?

I think we can reach top four for sure, with a few more additons to the squad. I tell you what though, it will be hard to get your place in our midfield at the moment, we are awash with plenty of players for any of the midfield positions.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #8514: Jul 17, 2016 01:32:45 pm

Ok, but you yourself say with the squad we  have we should be competing for  top 4...well top 4 isn't the  appropriate goal, the  title is.  So if the squad we have can compete with the top 4, then we need to add quality to  get  us to be title contenders. Personally I'm not 100% convinced  we've added that amount of quality yet. Hopeful we do, but  I don't remember a transfer window in recent years that I wasn't disappointed when it closed.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8515: Jul 17, 2016 01:42:19 pm

Couldn't agree more mate. 

I think losing the EL final has blindsided some to the good stuff we saw in earlier rounds and in the league.  It seemed logical that we put all our efforts into getting there (the final) with the batch of injuries late in the season, unfortunately that also meant missing out on any European qualification too.

I get that people are disappointed that we haven't gone for "known" quality in our recruits but I don't get the writing off of our chances before we've even started.  We weren't far off having a very good season and we've addressed our most pressing areas of concern to help make that next step.  We may well fall short of that elusive title next season, we might even fall short of a CL spot but I'm positive we'll have a much better league campaign than in recent years and that bodes well for the following season and beyond.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #8516: Jul 17, 2016 01:51:55 pm
      Couldn't agree more mate. 

I think losing the EL final has blindsided some to the good stuff we saw in earlier rounds and in the league.  It seemed logical that we put all our efforts into getting there (the final) with the batch of injuries late in the season, unfortunately that also meant missing out on any European qualification too.

I get that people are disappointed that we haven't gone for "known" quality in our recruits but I don't get the writing off of our chances before we've even started. We weren't far off having a very good season and we've addressed our most pressing areas of concern to help make that next step.  We may well fall short of that elusive title next season, we might even fall short of a CL spot but I'm positive we'll have a much better league campaign than in recent years and that bodes well for the following season and beyond.

See I'm not writing off our chances....I just think we make the task much harder than it has to be and the margin for error is much smaller which means injuries and other unexpected things that pop up can really derail you.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8517: Jul 17, 2016 02:14:43 pm
      See I'm not writing off our chances....I just think we make the task much harder than it has to be and the margin for error is much smaller which means injuries and other unexpected things that pop up can really derail you.

Maybe Jürgen should have gone to one of the clubs that splash the cash then if he wanted to do it the easy way.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #8518: Jul 17, 2016 03:38:06 pm
      Maybe Jürgen should have gone to one of the clubs that splash the cash then if he wanted to do it the easy way.
      Who said that? Why do we always have to go to polar opposites? I think there is middle ground that a lot of people like to ignore because it doesn't fit an easy narrative or argument.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8519: Jul 17, 2016 03:43:55 pm
      Who said that? Why do we always have to go to polar opposites? I think there is middle ground that a lot of people like to ignore because it doesn't fit an easy narrative or argument.

My point was this is his choice which he's clearly happy with or he wouldn't be here.  It's the fans who have the problem with it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8520: Jul 17, 2016 04:39:53 pm
      My point was this is his choice which he's clearly happy with or he wouldn't be here. 

It's the fans who have the problem with it.

Exactamundo Deborah dear.

;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8521: Jul 17, 2016 04:42:04 pm

Wow Skip my Sunday name!

Have I been a naughty girl, that's what my mum used to use before telling me off  :D
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #8522: Jul 17, 2016 07:15:43 pm
      Great news! Klopp: Liverpool will have all internationals available for USA tour.

Reds boss reveals timetable for return of Euro 2016 players

Jürgen Klopp has revealed that Liverpool will have all their international players back prior to the first game of the pre-season tour of America.

The England contingent of Daniel Sturridge, Jordan Henderson, Nathaniel Clyne, James Milner and Adam Lallana will fly with the squad to California on Thursday.

The Belgian trio of Simon Mignolet, Divock Origi and Christian Benteke will soon follow with Wales’ Joe Allen and Germany’s Emre Can also present in the States prior to the opening match against Chelsea at the Pasadena Rose Bowl on Wednesday, July 27.

Speaking after the 2-0 friendly win over Wigan, Klopp said: “We’ve had three games, but what is more important is the work between the games and so I am quite happy.

“But we will even more happy when we go to the USA now and all of the other players join us.

“We’ll have the big group together from the 26th when the last two players Joe Allen and Emre Can will join us.

“From the 21st, all the English players are with us. From the 22nd, all the Belgian players are with us.

“Then we will have a real group together and the work starts again with them and hopefully we can build on the base we’ve done in the first three weeks with the other players.”
      « Last Edit: Jul 17, 2016 07:35:45 pm by Red John »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8523: Jul 17, 2016 07:42:20 pm
      this season I have one thought if Jürgen is happy then so am I.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8524: Jul 17, 2016 09:59:16 pm
      Yay, migs is coming back!

*Departs to the fridge for more not recommended alcohol*

Not to worry. Plans have been made...

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8525: Jul 18, 2016 12:13:09 am

Have I been a naughty girl,   :D

Behave ...  your a married woman .
       ;D
      x
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8526: Jul 18, 2016 12:14:48 am

Don't think it's any coincedance we suddenly start looking to sign defenders now.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8527: Jul 18, 2016 12:46:24 am
      Seems there are a few well respected contributers on here who are lacking faith with Jürgen and his charges,
      Prior to October last year we as a club were going nowhere, Brendan had lost the dressing room along with his senses, lets for a second or two remind ourselves just how we were all feeling at the time and ask yourselves this, considering Brendan's round holes in square pegs bollocks, would you think that we would have reached two major finals and took on and beaten most of our rivals, or at the very least competed on a level keel, me thinks not, not when we had a group of players no longer believing the manager, or his ideas,

Some of you go on and on about how we haven't as yet signed a major player or that we are simply not good enough to compete because the big boys are spending big, well again, just let's remind ourselves that a team of players who were almost relegated the previous season won the f***in league, ah but, I hear you say that was a one off and the only reason the won was because the main protagonists were basically sh*te,

Well, they still had to f***in win it didn't they? ' you can only beat who's put in front of you' well yes you can and Leicester city only lost 3 matches the whole season, all with the same group of players they were almost sunk the season before,

So then are you saying that despite we having a pretty decent season apart from finishing 8th, that we are not good enough this season to be competitive enough for us to be right up there, yes with the big boys and their big signings, with your Leicester city's , with your West Ham and their shiny new stadium, with your re-hashed chavs, and your Maureen & the Munts circus, not forgetting the seasonal  underachievers from the Emirates , the white hart lane bottlers, and last but not least Pep and his camel jockey sponsored Abu Dhabi Utd,

f***in may as well pack it all in then eh?

It's quite incredible that less than 3 months after our destroying of a very good BvB, a decent Villarreal side, and then capitulating against a double Europa league champion side, that the belief we had in our team has suddenly went to sh*t, because we haven't been as competitive in the transfer market, to-date,

Yet we have strengthened in the areas where we were weakest, and we will have had a full pre-season with Jürgen and his team, he has brought in highly respected fitness experts and nutritionist form Bayern Munich, to help condition the players, so as they will when full fit be at their optimum, we have less games this season which will be to a distinct advantage over those who will be in and among us,

Yet some of you don't think we will be better than a 6th place finish, Behave !

We are much better than that, much better,  are we going to win it, ? Yes we f***in are , and why the F**k not, if your Leicester f***in city can do it  well so can we.

' From Doubters to Believers, I wonder, who did say that ??

YNWA
      +13
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #8528: Jul 18, 2016 12:52:35 am
      It's quite incredible that less than 3 months after our destroying of a very good BvB, a decent Villarreal side, and then capitulating against a double Europa league champion side, that the belief we had in our team has suddenly went to sh*t, because we haven't been as competitive in the transfer market, to-date,
      Quite the contrary,  I think there are a lot of us  that saw how good this group of players  could be made to play and had dreams (illusions?) that with just a couple 2 or 3 quality signings we'd be ready to take the world by storm. Maybe that will still happen before the window shuts, but so far I'm not sure we've made the necessary signings to kick  on like that.

Yet we have strengthened in the areas where we were weakest, and we will have had a full pre-season with Jürgen and his team, he has brought in highly respected fitness experts and nutritionist form Bayern Munich, to help condition the players, so as they will when full fit be at their optimum, we have less games this season which will be to a distinct advantage over those who will be in and among us,

I'm not sure we have strengthened where weakest....LB, CM?

Goalkeeper, hopefully but we'll have  to see. Otherwise in my opinion,  we've  just added depth or development to the squad.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #8529: Jul 18, 2016 01:16:21 am
      Quite the contrary,  I think there are a lot of us  that saw how good this group of players  could be made to play and had dreams (illusions?) that with just a couple 2 or 3 quality signings we'd be ready to take the world by storm. Maybe that will still happen before the window shuts, but so far I'm not sure we've made the necessary signings to kick  on like that.
      I'm not sure we have strengthened where weakest....LB, CM?

Goalkeeper, hopefully but we'll have  to see. Otherwise in my opinion,  we've  just added depth or development to the squad.

I'm guessing FL that those positions will be addressed befor the window closes, but if not I think Jürgen trusts in who he has presently and with a bit of tweaking here and there should be enough  to see us through this season, Moreno is obviously our weakest but with a bit of coaching we might see a much improved player, look, I know Jürgen can't transplant brain cells but he can kick his balls and let him know he won't put up with his headless chicken antics for very long, or his Arse will be warming the bench for a few months.

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #8530: Jul 18, 2016 01:17:04 am

I'm guessing FL that those positions will be addressed befor the window closes, but if not I think Jürgen trusts in who he has presently and with a bit of tweaking here and there should be enough  to see us through this season, Moreno is obviously our weakest but with a bit of coaching we might see a much improved player, look, I know Jürgen can't transplant brain cells but he can kick his balls and let him know he won't put up with his headless chicken antics for very long, or his Arse will be warming the bench for a few months.

YNWA

True, but if he goes to the bench, who the hell are we going to play? ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #8531: Jul 18, 2016 01:20:30 am
      True, but if he goes to the bench, who the hell are we going to play? ;D

Flanagan is well capable of filling in there mate, has done before, and although not ideal he would efficient, anyhoo, here's hoping Alberto surprises us all and has a blinder eh!

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8532: Jul 18, 2016 05:17:38 am
      Seems there are a few well respected contributers on here who are lacking faith with Jürgen and his charges,
      Prior to October last year we as a club were going nowhere, Brendan had lost the dressing room along with his senses, lets for a second or two remind ourselves just how we were all feeling at the time and ask yourselves this, considering Brendan's round holes in square pegs bollocks, would you think that we would have reached two major finals and took on and beaten most of our rivals, or at the very least competed on a level keel, me thinks not, not when we had a group of players no longer believing the manager, or his ideas,

Some of you go on and on about how we haven't as yet signed a major player or that we are simply not good enough to compete because the big boys are spending big, well again, just let's remind ourselves that a team of players who were almost relegated the previous season won the f***in league, ah but, I hear you say that was a one off and the only reason the won was because the main protagonists were basically sh*te,

Well, they still had to f***in win it didn't they? ' you can only beat who's put in front of you' well yes you can and Leicester city only lost 3 matches the whole season, all with the same group of players they were almost sunk the season before,

So then are you saying that despite we having a pretty decent season apart from finishing 8th, that we are not good enough this season to be competitive enough for us to be right up there, yes with the big boys and their big signings, with your Leicester city's , with your West Ham and their shiny new stadium, with your re-hashed chavs, and your Maureen & the Munts circus, not forgetting the seasonal  underachievers from the Emirates , the white hart lane bottlers, and last but not least Pep and his camel jockey sponsored Abu Dhabi Utd,

F**kin may as well pack it all in then eh?

Yet some of you don't think we will be better than a 6th place finish, Behave !

We are much better than that, much better,  are we going to win it, ? Yes we f***in are , and why the f**k not, if your Leicester f***in city can do it  well so can we.

' From Doubters to Believers, I wonder, who did say that ??

YNWA

Brilliant Post Billy.

Quick Reply