Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528271 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8809: Aug 02, 2016 11:54:01 am
      Seriously, what's the alternative ? Sack Jürgen who at least can supposedly do more with less and bring in who? Someone who needs financial backing that they just won't get?
      After six years it does have feel a bit like the 'Last Chance Saloon' for John Doublya's time buying strategy s@int; that he really needs Jürgen to bail him out.  :-\

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #8810: Aug 02, 2016 12:12:58 pm
      Good God what is all this negativity about, just because we lost to Roam in a meaningless game where we swapped out the entire team for the second half?
      I've seen more than enough in the pre season games to give me lots of confidence for the upcoming season, I'm not saying we'll challenge for the title, although who knows, but I do fancy us to really be in contention for a top 4. The reasons are that I think defensively we are stronger plus we have many more options in attack and midfield so I fail to see how we won't do better unless Klopp loses the dressing room or we have a hell of a lot of injuries, I mean even more than we had last year.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8811: Aug 02, 2016 12:14:46 pm
      Good God what is all this negativity about, just because we lost to Roam in a meaningless game where we swapped out the entire team for the second half?
      I've seen more than enough in the pre season games to give me lots of confidence for the upcoming season, I'm not saying we'll challenge for the title, although who knows, but I do fancy us to really be in contention for a top 4. The reasons are that I think defensively we are stronger plus we have many more options in attack and midfield so I fail to see how we won't do better unless Klopp loses the dressing room or we have a hell of a lot of injuries, I mean even more than we had last year.

its more being realistic about the future with FSG in charge and Mignolet in Goal.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8812: Aug 02, 2016 12:38:55 pm
      its more being realistic about the future with FSG in charge
      Indeed Walt; it's all there and really easy to read.

Why anyone could get that confused with negativity over Jürgen or a defeat to Roma in a shitty, wee pre-season friendly, F**k knows... pretending they're daft, to suit personal agenda, perhaps or maybe it really is poor comprehension. Either way; there's really no need to for anyone to be that confused.  :laugh:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8813: Aug 02, 2016 01:02:07 pm
      If I were to rate the Club Owners, the squad and the manager I would give the owners 5 out of 10 just for lacking ambition the squad 6 out of 10 because its still short of top quality in a few positions and the manager 8 out of 10 because he got us to two Cup finals last season and he is our only hope that we can make something of this squad for the coming season.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #8814: Aug 02, 2016 01:24:44 pm
      its more being realistic about the future with FSG in charge and Mignolet in Goal.

That bit is spot on mate  one thing for sure though , if we fail trophy wise and manager wise , these fckers will be in for one hell of a bumpy ride , I think their hope and ours all rests on Jürgen, s shoulders  , .
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #8815: Aug 02, 2016 01:47:17 pm
      I really hope we can take it up another two levels at least.

I really do hope so

I'm only going to go with the players I know of. This isn't about players that are good enough to get 4th place, it's about players that I think are good enough to challenge for the league title. That’s Liverpool’s standard. Second is nowhere.

Goalkeepers
      1. Mignolet – no (error prone and distribution is lacking)
      2. Karius - unknown

Defenders
      3. Clyne - yes
      4. Sakho - maybe (error prone)
      5. Lovren - no (error prone and lack of positional awareness)
      6. Moreno - no (error prone and lack of positional awareness)
      7. Flanagan - no (big knee injury, struggling to recapture the form of two seasons ago)
      8. Gomez - unknown (but genuine potential)
      9. Klavan - unknown (looked good in preseason but that doesn't tell us much)
      10. Matip - unknown (again, looked good in preseason but doesn't tell us much)

Midfield
      11. Wijnaldum - maybe (got relegated and reports suggest he went missing when the going got tough)
      12. Milner - no (good squad player at best)
      13. Coutinho - yes
      14. Henderson - no (goes missing, too slow when breaking and general attacking play)
      15. Lallana - no (goes missing and no final ball)
      16. Leiva - no (good squad player at best)
      17. Can - maybe (goes missing and lacks a bit of concentration)
      18. Markovic - no (rarely has impact on a game)
      19. Grujic - unknown (looks good, but again, preseason only)
      20. Stewart - unknown (has impressed me a lot, but can I see him in title winning midfield? no)
      21. Ojo - no (early days but I think he’ll be loaned out then eventually sold)

Forwards
      22. Benteke - no (positional sense is all wrong for how Klopp wants to play)
      23. Firmino - yes
      24. Sturridge - yes
      25. Mane - no (pace, direct, it’s early days, but lacks a final ball and didn’t pull up trees with Southampton)
      26. Ings - no (aside from his goal, he works hard but is ultimately always on the fringe of games)
      27. Origi - maybe (would be a good option off the bench though, and you need good subs)

We are gearing up for the new season with 4 maybes, 6 unknowns, 13 nos, and only 4 players who I could see in a title winning side.

Clyne
      Coutinho
      Firmino
      Sturridge

Perhaps I’m just disillusioned, but I’ve seen nothing to make me think we have anything remotely resembling a title winning side. For me it’s another season of hoping to get 4th

For me it’s just more of the same. Players we want but miss out on, expensive buys from Southampton, and a mix of young potential and experienced backup. I see nothing that sends out a message to other clubs saying ‘we mean business’.

That said, Karius, Matip, Klavan and Grujic might turn out to be world beaters. But that’s another problem we have; we are starting a season with the hope that these 4 players can make the grade. Potential quality instead of proven quality.

Special mention for Ejaria. He looks very good but he is obviously too young to expect anything much as far as title challenging players are concerned.

There is of course another side issue, and that's to do with us being unable to attract the best players due to no champions league. Still, the above is based on what players we do have as that's all we have to go on.
      « Last Edit: Aug 02, 2016 02:38:26 pm by Rush »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8816: Aug 02, 2016 02:39:17 pm
      Seriously, what's the alternative ? Sack Jürgen who at least can supposedly do more with less and bring in who? Someone who needs financial backing that they just won't get?

We struggle to attract top players now, how will we fare if we sit mid table for the next three years.

For me if Jürgen fails it is FSG that will need to go.

1m% correct s@int, it could well be we could have different owners inside 3 yrs anyway,
      Who's to say some mega zillionaire won't offer JWH enough spondoolies to sell,

I would have thought though that inside 3 yrs Jürgen will have brought us success, whether that includes a title or two remains to be seen but if I were to hazard a guess a couple of efforts at the CL and 2 or 3 cups would be acceptable while retaining a title challenge as a given each season, at the very least.

YNWA
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #8817: Aug 02, 2016 02:46:27 pm
      In fact, I'd hazard a guess that anyone on here who has seen every second of our pre-season games is unable to say what our 'pro's and con's' will be going into the season for definite.

That's good I suppose cos neither will the opposition.

Glass half full!! :laugh:

FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #8818: Aug 02, 2016 03:13:14 pm
      This  season Klop must prove himself  , a good  manager is able to  identify the  players  for his wining formula  and get us the
      results.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8819: Aug 02, 2016 03:23:40 pm
      This  season Klop must prove himself  , a good  manager is able to  identify the  players  for his wining formula  and get us the
      results.

The managers already proved himself. Give him a fair chance and he'll do the job. Stymie him though with a zero NET spend while all our rivals are spending bucketloads and he may not achieve what we want. His names Jürgen not Jesus.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #8820: Aug 02, 2016 03:42:01 pm
      results.

I thought the Boss proved himself last season by reaching two finals?...loses a pre season freindly & the doom mongers are out...
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #8821: Aug 02, 2016 04:05:29 pm
      There is gona be a f***in big hole in the middle of our midfield for teams to exploit if , we don't buy a midfielder who can sit in there and actually play the f***in game.
      Also , we need a left back. No fillers , no temps , we need a proper left back.
      I'm watching our game against the Gunners from behind the couch with my flask if Mignolet , Moreno and Henderson start.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8822: Aug 02, 2016 04:07:31 pm
      I really hope we can take it up another two levels at least.

I really do hope so

I'm only going to go with the players I know of. This isn't about players that are good enough to get 4th place, it's about players that I think are good enough to challenge for the league title. That’s Liverpool’s standard. Second is nowhere.

Goalkeepers
      1. Mignolet – no (error prone and distribution is lacking)
      2. Karius - unknown

Defenders
      3. Clyne - yes
      4. Sakho - maybe (error prone)
      5. Lovren - no (error prone and lack of positional awareness)
      6. Moreno - no (error prone and lack of positional awareness)
      7. Flanagan - no (big knee injury, struggling to recapture the form of two seasons ago)
      8. Gomez - unknown (but genuine potential)
      9. Klavan - unknown (looked good in preseason but that doesn't tell us much)
      10. Matip - unknown (again, looked good in preseason but doesn't tell us much)

Midfield
      11. Wijnaldum - maybe (got relegated and reports suggest he went missing when the going got tough)
      12. Milner - no (good squad player at best)
      13. Coutinho - yes
      14. Henderson - no (goes missing, too slow when breaking and general attacking play)
      15. Lallana - no (goes missing and no final ball)
      16. Leiva - no (good squad player at best)
      17. Can - maybe (goes missing and lacks a bit of concentration)
      18. Markovic - no (rarely has impact on a game)
      19. Grujic - unknown (looks good, but again, preseason only)
      20. Stewart - unknown (has impressed me a lot, but can I see him in title winning midfield? no)
      21. Ojo - no (early days but I think he’ll be loaned out then eventually sold)

Forwards
      22. Benteke - no (positional sense is all wrong for how Klopp wants to play)
      23. Firmino - yes
      24. Sturridge - yes
      25. Mane - no (pace, direct, it’s early days, but lacks a final ball and didn’t pull up trees with Southampton)
      26. Ings - no (aside from his goal, he works hard but I is ultimately always on the fringe of games)
      27. Origi - maybe (would be a good option off the bench though, and you need good subs)

We are gearing up for the new season with 4 maybes, 6 unknowns, 13 nos, and only 4 players who I could see in a title winning side.

Clyne
      Coutinho
      Firmino
      Sturridge

Perhaps I’m just disillusioned, but I’ve seen nothing to make me think we have anything remotely resembling a title winning side. For me it’s another season of hoping to get 4th

For me it’s just more of the same. Players we want but miss out on, expensive buys from Southampton, and a mix of young potential and experienced backup. I see nothing that sends out a message to other clubs saying ‘we mean business’.

That said, Karius, Matip, Klavan and Grujic might turn out to be world beaters. But that’s another problem we have; we are starting a season with the hope that these 4 players can make the grade. Potential quality instead of proven quality.

Special mention for Ejaria. He looks very good but he is obviously too young to expect anything much as far as title challenging players are concerned.

There is of course another side issue, and that's to do with us being unable to attract the best players due to no champions league. Still, the above is based on what players we do have as that's all we have to go on.

Now go and do the same with the Leicester squad from this time last year, without the benefit of hindsight.  That should ease your pain.

Or maybe think back 3 years and see if you were expecting or predicting a Title challenge.

Then go back a year to remember if you thought we were capable of reaching 2 finals, 1 of which was a European final.

It's too easy to buy into this negativity that we haven't done enough before a ball's been kicked in anger mate. 
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #8823: Aug 02, 2016 04:48:28 pm
      The managers already proved himself. Give him a fair chance and he'll do the job. Stymie him though with a zero NET spend while all our rivals are spending bucketloads and he may not achieve what we want. His names Jürgen not Jesus.

All I want  is..... we have to  improve   there is time for him to get players who wil improve the team
      He don't need to be Jesus  to give us champions league football.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #8824: Aug 02, 2016 04:50:21 pm
      I think Jürgen was brought in not only because he has had success in the past, but because he is willing to work without wanting to breaking the bank for players. I just don't see any alternative IF this doesn't work unless we change owners.

I don't really see it as Jürgen being in bed with FSG, simply that FSG have handpicked a manager that actually believes what FSG have wanted all along. Certainly almost every other top manager would have been demanding top players if they were expected to challenge and lowering expectations if they didn't get them.

For me this is FSG's last roll of the dice.   

Yep.

To be fair to FSG they have hired the best guy available to try and achieve success using their model.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #8825: Aug 02, 2016 04:51:43 pm
      Now go and do the same with the Leicester squad from this time last year, without the benefit of hindsight.  That should ease your pain.

Or maybe think back 3 years and see if you were expecting or predicting a Title challenge.

Then go back a year to remember if you thought we were capable of reaching 2 finals, 1 of which was a European final.

It's too easy to buy into this negativity that we haven't done enough before a ball's been kicked in anger mate.

Indeed, and it's the same every summer.

New signings will take a bit of time to properly bed in, and the players we have are criminally underrated by some.
      I'm pretty relaxed about the coming season.
      I don't expect us to sweep all before us, but I think we will surprise a lot of people, now that Klopp actually has some time to coach the players.
      We saw what he could do with only minimal coaching last season, and he'll have a lot more time this season, instead of just working on shape and tactical pressing.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8826: Aug 02, 2016 04:55:36 pm
      Indeed, and it's the same every summer.

New signings will take a bit of time to properly bed in, and the players we have are criminally underrated by some.
      I'm pretty relaxed about the coming season.
      I don't expect us to sweep all before us, but I think we will surprise a lot of people, now that Klopp actually has some time to coach the players.
      We saw what he could do with only minimal coaching last season, and he'll have a lot more time this season, instead of just working on shape and tactical pressing.

Precisely mate.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #8827: Aug 02, 2016 04:57:14 pm

It is too easy to be negative. That's the problem.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8828: Aug 02, 2016 05:40:37 pm
      Indeed Walt; it's all there and really easy to read.

Why anyone could get that confused with negativity over Jürgen or a defeat to Roma in a shitty, wee pre-season friendly, f**k knows... pretending they're daft, to suit personal agenda, perhaps or maybe it really is poor comprehension. Either way; there's really no need to for anyone to be that confused.  :laugh:

Just need to find a counterpart to Roman and the Sheikhs ....the Chinese maybe? it will have to be a type similar to those to be able to compete with those above us.

You got FSG worth around 1.5 billion, Roman is at 9 billion...the Sheikh is about 18 billion...I can see it from FSG's part as going into an arms race against those guys is like Romania invading Germany, in a straight up fight its a massacre.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8829: Aug 02, 2016 05:43:20 pm
      Just need to find a counterpart to Roman and the Sheikhs ....the Chinese maybe? it will have to be a type similar to those to be able to compete with those above us.

You got FSG worth around 1.5 billion, Roman is at 9 billion...the Sheikh is about 18 billion...I can see it from FSG's part as going into an arms race against those guys is like Romania invading Germany, in a straight up fight its a massacre.

no need just don't need to waste vast sums of money on the likes of Andy Carrol,Balotelli and Benteke to name but three.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #8830: Aug 02, 2016 05:45:50 pm
      Klopp was none too happy with last night's performance so perhaps people should be telling him to lighten up on the negativity? ;)

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8831: Aug 02, 2016 05:47:14 pm
      no need just don't need to waste vast sums of money on the likes of Andy Carrol,Balotelli and Benteke to name but three.

It's not the argument Walt...thing is teams like City, Mancs and Chelsea can buy a Benteke or a Carroll and just absorb the loss; we do that and it puts us back a couple of years. There are certain teams that can spend our entire transfer budget X2 on one player...so in truth BBB and others are right; if we want to be like City, Chelsea or PSG then different owners will be not only needed but a requirement.

Quick Reply