Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 17th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1525446 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #460: Oct 09, 2015 04:31:53 pm
      Finishing 5th in 2005 was alright I guess :laugh:

It wasn't.

But something softened that particular blow.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #461: Oct 09, 2015 04:32:33 pm
      By the way, he has good English for a German better than Carragher.

:lmao:
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #462: Oct 09, 2015 04:32:42 pm
      I can't and doubt I ever will.

Liverpool and Man United are the two biggest clubs in the country.  I cannot fathom anybody I know watching LFC finishing 5th or below and going 'Yeah, that'll do.'

Exactly. It mystifies me that people are "willing" to accept this just because we don't spend as much as the richer clubs. Anything other than 1st place is ultimately failure and that was why Klopp told us in the press release not to think about the money, just the football. That's what is important.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,575 posts | 6915 
      Reply #463: Oct 09, 2015 04:35:48 pm
      Maybe but I can guarantee if after 3 season Jürgen hasn't won anything we'll be looking for a change again.

Disagree.

If he finishes fourth this season, second the following season, then second again with a Champions League final you think he would get sacked?

No chance.

Rodgers was sacked because the team were going backwards despite £200M spent since Suarez left 16 months ago.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,510 posts | 710 
      Reply #464: Oct 09, 2015 04:37:09 pm
      He does to a point. But Liverpool think they are a big club, but they're not? He's been listening to Gary Neville too much...

Spurs fans both think theyre a big club? Have u ever met any?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #465: Oct 09, 2015 04:40:15 pm
      Since Klopp came, I think we are still a big club. Not the biggest but BIG club.

He will get it bigger!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Reply #466: Oct 09, 2015 04:46:17 pm
      Disagree.

If he finishes fourth this season, second the following season, then second again with a Champions League final you think he would get sacked?

No chance.

Rodgers was sacked because the team were going backwards despite £200M spent since Suarez left 16 months ago.

Now that you put it like that... ;D

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,510 posts | 710 
      Reply #467: Oct 09, 2015 04:52:07 pm
      I can't and doubt I ever will.

Liverpool and Man United are the two biggest clubs in the country - both of those sides should be competitive irrespective of Russian or Middle Eastern billionaires.  I cannot fathom anybody I know watching LFC finishing 5th or below and going 'Yeah, that'll do.'

Im not saing 'yeh that'll do'.

I said if we are still being competitive and playing good football. I can accept that we may have the odd season where we are missing out on 4th.

This is just realistic.

Yes Mega bucks clubs do matter.

If u expect us to keep selling our best players and still finish in the top 4 every season you are in for a rude awakening.

Even Dortumd couldnt keep doing it.

u expect us to do it pruely 'because we are liverpool'. it's not based on any facts.

It's pure sentimentality.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #468: Oct 09, 2015 04:52:18 pm
      Since Klopp came, I think we are still a big club. Not the biggest but BIG club.

He will get it bigger!

ooh er missus
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #469: Oct 09, 2015 05:00:41 pm
      To me, despite what the new manager says I see whatever he does this season as a bonus. If we end up 10th as we are now, I won't one iota be on his case. My guess is had we stuck with Brendan we would have finished 4th-6th, but these are players who are used to his way of playing, it's going to be HARD to come in mid season and uproot trees. This season should IMHO be about taking stock for the new manager, seeing what he's got, implementing his mantra. (I actually suspect under Jürgen we'll get a similar result, 4TH-6TH WITH THESE PLAYERS).

That Mr Klopp is significantly more optimistic than that is one of the reasons I love him already. None of this Hodgsonesque playing down of expectations, and I think it's fantastic. It's impossible as a fan not to get caught up in his enthusiasm, and I for one won't be surprised if we look a better team in his very first match. If I was a betting man though (and I am) my guess is it will be NEXT season when you really start to see things coming together "Klopp style", and from there he will need backing from the owners if he's going to crack it. If he gets that backing though, we could really be onto something.

It's absolutely crucial though IMHO that the players "feel the love" of the fans. Anfield can't have been a comfortable place to play for many a year now, and that's for our players not the opposition. It's time it changed.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #470: Oct 09, 2015 05:01:13 pm
      Disagree.

No chance.

Exactly JD, all fans want to see is progression, even one season of going backwards slightly can often times be forgiven but patience isn't forthcoming when progress halted long ago and success feels further away than ever. Rodgers got plenty of patience, if Jürgen is simply afforded the same amount of patience Brendan had then he'll demonstrate that he deserves more time by either delivering a trophy, a league victory or even if it were just reaching very late stages of knockout competitions.

Progress can be slow, as he himself mentioned and nobody should deceive themselves otherwise but progress can also be seen. While progression continues (baring exceptional circumstances) I see no reason why anyone would call for a replacement. The rise to the top might be slow, but as long as when you get there you remain there for a long period isn't that what we ultimately want?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #471: Oct 09, 2015 05:04:32 pm
      To me, despite what the new manager says I see whatever he does this season as a bonus. If we end up 10th as we are now, I won't one iota be on his case. My guess is had we stuck with Brendan we would have finished 4th-6th, but these are players who are used to his way of playing, it's going to be HARD to come in mid season and uproot trees. This season should IMHO be about taking stock for the new manager, seeing what he's got, implementing his mantra. (I actually suspect under Jürgen we'll get a similar result, WITH THESE PLAYERS).

That Mr Klopp is significantly more optimistic than that is one of the reasons I love him already. None of this Hodgsonesque playing down of expectations, and I think it's fantastic. It's impossible as a fan not to get caught up in his enthusiasm, and I for one won't be surprised if we look a better team in his very first match. If I was a betting man though (and I am) my guess is it will be NEXT season when you really start to see things coming together "Klopp style", and from there he will need backing from the owners if he's going to crack it. If he gets that backing though, we could really be onto something.

It's absolutely crucial though IMHO that the players "feel the love" of the fans. Anfield can't have been a comfortable place to play for many a year now, and that's for our players not the opposition. It's time it changed.

Agreed Mick and exactly what Jürgen was suggesting when he was saying stop being a doubter and be a believer. He wants the fans to relieve the pressure on the players. Brendan alluded to it by saying they couldn't handle it, Jürgen is taking a more subtle and more involved approach of putting the emphasis on us to change our style in order to relieve that pressure and expectation.

He is not, by removing expectation, lowering the standards required to be a Liverpool player. Listen to his words he will demand absolutely everything from them, but to get that he's asking that we release the shackles also, so do it!

He's set a target, 4 years, I believe he'll over deliver and under sell, it's what all top quality people do.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #472: Oct 09, 2015 05:10:10 pm
       Jürgen'll win the league
       Jürgen'll win the league
      And now you're going to believe us,
      (Adopt shouty, German accent)
      AND NOW YOU'RE GOING TO BELIEVE US
       Jürgen'll win the league
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Reply #473: Oct 09, 2015 05:10:14 pm
      Of course he needs time and will get time to develop his team but I do find it interesting that we were almost like a pack of rabid dogs looking to get Brendan fired because he had a squad capable of being in the top four and challenging yet it seems we have backed down from that assessment of the squad and playing down expectations.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #474: Oct 09, 2015 05:14:49 pm
      Of course he needs time and will get time to develop his team but I do find it interesting that we were almost like a pack of rabid dogs looking to get Brendan fired because he had a squad capable of being in the top four and challenging yet it seems we have backed down from that assessment of the squad and playing down expectations.

I thought most of us thought this squad should be doing much better than they are. Brendan has had 3 full seasons to get them playing the way he wanted and its clear he lost them so why is it such a leap to believe that a new man could improve the results with the same lads.
      we will see how good the squad is now and it has to be better than 1 win in 9 games.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #475: Oct 09, 2015 05:15:09 pm

I said if we are still being competitive and playing good football. I can accept that we may have the odd season where we are missing out on 4th.

This is just realistic.

If u expect us to keep selling our best players and still finish in the top 4 every season you are in for a rude awakening.

u expect us to do it pruely 'because we are liverpool'. it's not based on any facts.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #476: Oct 09, 2015 05:15:16 pm

I don't suppose it will surprise anyone that I point out that NOT ALL OF US were like a pack of rabid dogs in wanting to get rid of the previous manager. That said, I cannot imagine any Liverpool fan anywhere in the world who wouldn't have been up for the swap we ended up with.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Reply #477: Oct 09, 2015 05:17:49 pm
      I don't suppose it will surprise anyone that I point out that NOT ALL OF US were like a pack of rabid dogs in wanting to get rid of the previous manager.

Of course not Mick but I have noticed a slight shift in opinions.

I expect top four as a bare minimum this season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #478: Oct 09, 2015 05:18:23 pm
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #479: Oct 09, 2015 05:19:51 pm

This is just realistic.

Did you get out the wrong side of the bed this morning fella? Don't get you :(. Are you saying Rodgers should have been given more time?

Anyway, relax man. We have got one of the top coaches in the world football (& German at that - efficiency & all that). Rejoice that LFC are now doing the right thing after a year & bit in wilderness.

For a change in years this forum is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuking *ONE* again. Yeehaa.

May the reign of the normal one begin.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #480: Oct 09, 2015 05:23:34 pm
      I don't suppose it will surprise anyone that I point out that NOT ALL OF US were like a pack of rabid dogs in wanting to get rid of the previous manager. That said, I cannot imagine any Liverpool fan anywhere in the world who wouldn't have been up for the swap we ended up with.

Sick of the Rabid dogs bolox Brendan had a very very fair ride here and given last season and the twatting by the mighty Stoke and West Ham at home he was very very lucky indeed because elsewhere he has been destroyed. As Kenny said this man is not in Love with himself.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #481: Oct 09, 2015 05:27:49 pm
      Wow
      Just F***ing wow.
      Got to admit to a few tears listening to the lfc.tv interview and the press conference.
      Best feeling I have had in years.
      Incredible day.
      The man totally and utterly gets us and you can see how honored, inspired and excited he is to have the job.
      Love the man.
      Feel like a kid again.
      Thank you to all at the club who made this happen.
      You have brought unity and optimism back to our club.
      Best day
      « Last Edit: Oct 09, 2015 05:40:46 pm by lester76 »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #482: Oct 09, 2015 05:30:01 pm
      Sick of the Rabid dogs bolox Brendan had a very very fair ride here and given last season and the twatting by the mighty Stoke and West Ham at home he was very very lucky indeed because elsewhere he has been destroyed. As Kenny said this man is not in Love with himself.

Yep, loved Kenny's wording of that, was clear as day to me what he meant.

Quick Reply