Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518263 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #7107: May 03, 2016 03:09:28 pm
      He certainly didn't go for a draw but keep it tight at the back.
      We had our chances Debs, unfortunately didn't take them. Perhaps, if Sturridge was on the pitch he might put one away. Heck, Firmino even hit the post - we came that close.

We also had couple of other changes but didn't take them. People are only moaning because they just managed to nick a goal because 'our friend with no brain' (Moreno) was well over the halfway line in the last minute of the added time.

IMHO - Klopp knows more than all us and he set up the team correctly for me.

Yep, very typical of a Rafa type European away fixture is how I read it too mate. 

Course it's a bugger that we conceded late on but the tie is far from over at 0-1.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #7108: May 03, 2016 03:27:22 pm
      Yep, very typical of a Rafa type European away fixture is how I read it too mate. 

Course it's a bugger that we conceded late on but the tie is far from over at 0-1.

True but we will need all the divinely help to get thru these lot because they are so disciplined in defense. They will defend with two Spanish buses, i.e. two banks of 5.  :f_wah:

I blame that Fumes Mori idiot for killing our momentum by taking out Origi *intentionally*. I wonder how much of a punishment he got apart from the usual 3 match ban - not that it makes any difference to us.  :mad:  :f_steam:

The bitters can rot in championship as far as I am concerned. Does that make me a bitter, I wonder!  :f_doh:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7109: May 03, 2016 03:29:47 pm
      Personally I'm fu**ed off with having to read between lines, gauge f**king body language, question or defend whether we've got the right man for the job, I just want to enjoy the football and I'm excited about what I've seen so far. 

Including the fact we finally have a Manager who is his own man and not some wimp who's more interested in keeping the press onside and bowing to keyboard warriors who think they know better than him how to handle his players.

GO GIRL   ! 
       ;D

Amen to that .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7110: May 03, 2016 03:32:19 pm
      True but we will need all the divinely help to get thru these lot because they are so disciplined in defense. They will defend with two Spanish buses, i.e. two banks of 5.  :f_wah:

I blame that Fumes Mori idiot for killing our momentum by taking out Origi *intentionally*. I wonder how much of a punishment he got apart from the usual 3 match ban - not that it makes any difference to us.  :mad:  :f_steam:

The bitters can rot in championship as far as I am concerned. Does that make me a bitter, I wonder!  :f_doh:

Never become a bitter mate.

Console yourself with the fact they'll have to form a guard of honour for Leicester at the weekend after seeing us making it to another European Final a few days earlier  :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7111: May 03, 2016 03:33:26 pm

GO GIRL   ! 
       ;D

Amen to that .

Pink DM's well and truly on Skip  ;D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #7112: May 03, 2016 03:36:24 pm
      I didn't see the game and haven't seen any highlights, which is why I raised the question of why people think it was a mistake to leave him out.

Personally I'm fu**ed off with having to read between lines, gauge f**king body language, question or defend whether we've got the right man for the job, I just want to enjoy the football and I'm excited about what I've seen so far. 

Including the fact we finally have a Manager who is his own man and not some wimp who's more interested in keeping the press onside and bowing to keyboard warriors who think they know better than him how to handle his players.

Fair enough. I can't remember the exact wording but what he said post-match was that we played for a draw, just not in those explicit words. The point is that it was a mistake. But that's fine, he's going to make mistakes because he's a manager, not a messiah like some people on here seem to believe. Firmino was useless as a goal threat in that game and it was only once we brought Benteke on that we looked dangerous. The tactic might have worked better if we'd played a false nine with a player who is in form and that's the key issue here. It's the selection of someone who isn't playing well at the moment and it was that selection that prevented us from scoring.

It's been ingrained in us for generations that you aim for the sky and you touch the ceiling, aim for the ceiling and you stay on the floor. Picking an out of form player as a false nine wasn't even aiming for the top shelf, let alone the ceiling. I won't speak for others but that's what I personally am unhappy with and what I personally see as the mistake. You always play to win and settle for a draw if that's what it ends up as. There was nothing in the team selection and tactics that suggest we played for anything else.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7113: May 03, 2016 03:36:44 pm
      Pink DM's well and truly on Skip  ;D

I knew that sister .  You're mowing them down today !   ;D xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7114: May 03, 2016 03:39:46 pm

Hindsight is wonderful, even Jürgen himself says he was surprised how little Villareal offered in terms of threat. When we're talking about a team that had conceded only one goal at home in the competition so far I just don't understand how overwhelmingly confident people are that Jürgen got it wrong.

I suspect he got it wrong by not bringing Sturridge on at halftime but not starting him, well I'm less convinced for a few reasons:

Firstly we had chances to score, we had Allen who should have scored with a glorious chance on 5 minutes, that goes in and the game/tie changes completely. Secondly we had Moreno clean through on a break which he should have done better with, people are quick to jump on his back for the goal we conceded (there were about 7 errors that led to that goal) but he almost did this himself. Firmino also hit the post and we had, as you say 15 shots. We didn't go there to only stifle them and had we come away with only 0-0 we'd have all been relatively happy.

What we heard after the match was quite hilarious, with Sturridge we'd have put the tie completely to bed, no need for them to bother flying over it would have been over. Which would be fine if we didn't then go and play the mighty Swansea with Sturridge and Coutinho in the side for Sturridge to be an almost non entity, he didn't win the game on his own against what most would agree are a much lesser team, we didn't annihilate them like we're told that one change would have done, no we got what people seem to forget is also in Sturridge's locker a game where he disappears.

He's become this ridiculous symbol that people seem to have lost all perspective on. It's at the point they're believing he can win the game on his own. Granted occasionally he does have that type of performance but they're few and far between even for him. It's a team game and Jürgen selects the team that can get the most out of a game, he's given everyone enough insight into how he works that people should realise that. Now Jürgen has us in the semi-finals and suddenly it's no, no, you're doing it all wrong Jürgen it's Sturridge again and again like a rod to beat him with. Had we listened to them earlier we may well already be out to Dortmund in the last away leg, had Origi not been butchered by that bluenose he may well have had his preferred choice up top but he made do and lost out to a last minute winner.

You can hear the teeth gnashing, you can hear the angst in people's posts, well if they truly are believers then they'll back the manager over Sturridge all day long. It's an easy choice for me and I can live with the consequences quite happily in the knowledge that we're in the right hands and Sturridge or not, Jürgen is making the call he thinks will give us the greatest chance of success.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7115: May 03, 2016 03:48:50 pm
      Hindsight is wonderful, even Jürgen himself says he was surprised how little Villareal offered in terms of threat. When we're talking about a team that had conceded only one goal at home in the competition so far I just don't understand how overwhelmingly confident people are that Jürgen got it wrong.

I suspect he got it wrong by not bringing Sturridge on at halftime but not starting him, well I'm less convinced for a few reasons:

Firstly we had chances to score, we had Allen who should have scored with a glorious chance on 5 minutes, that goes in and the game/tie changes completely. Secondly we had Moreno clean through on a break which he should have done better with, people are quick to jump on his back for the goal we conceded (there were about 7 errors that led to that goal) but he almost did this himself. Firmino also hit the post and we had, as you say 15 shots. We didn't go there to only stifle them and had we come away with only 0-0 we'd have all been relatively happy.

What we heard after the match was quite hilarious, with Sturridge we'd have put the tie completely to bed, no need for them to bother flying over it would have been over. Which would be fine if we didn't then go and play the mighty Swansea with Sturridge and Coutinho in the side for Sturridge to be an almost non entity, he didn't win the game on his own against what most would agree are a much lesser team, we didn't annihilate them like we're told that one change would have done, no we got what people seem to forget is also in Sturridge's locker a game where he disappears.

He's become this ridiculous symbol that people seem to have lost all perspective on. It's at the point they're believing he can win the game on his own. Granted occasionally he does have that type of performance but they're few and far between even for him. It's a team game and Jürgen selects the team that can get the most out of a game, he's given everyone enough insight into how he works that people should realise that. Now Jürgen has us in the semi-finals and suddenly it's no, no, you're doing it all wrong Jürgen it's Sturridge again and again like a rod to beat him with. Had we listened to them earlier we may well already be out to Dortmund in the last away leg, had Origi not been butchered by that bluenose he may well have had his preferred choice up top but he made do and lost out to a last minute winner.

You can hear the teeth gnashing, you can hear the angst in people's posts, well if they truly are believers then they'll back the manager over Sturridge all day long. It's an easy choice for me and I can live with the consequences quite happily in the knowledge that we're in the right hands and Sturridge or not, Jürgen is making the call he thinks will give us the greatest chance of success.

Woah Luke .

You and Debs on a tandem this afternoon?

Class Post mate

Put the buggers back in their place !
      Heres ten shillings !

With apologies to Henry Root .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7116: May 03, 2016 03:49:25 pm
      Fair enough. I can't remember the exact wording but what he said post-match was that we played for a draw, just not in those explicit words. The point is that it was a mistake. But that's fine, he's going to make mistakes because he's a manager, not a messiah like some people on here seem to believe. Firmino was useless as a goal threat in that game and it was only once we brought Benteke on that we looked dangerous. The tactic might have worked better if we'd played a false nine with a player who is in form and that's the key issue here. It's the selection of someone who isn't playing well at the moment and it was that selection that prevented us from scoring.

It's been ingrained in us for generations that you aim for the sky and you touch the ceiling, aim for the ceiling and you stay on the floor. Picking an out of form player as a false nine wasn't even aiming for the top shelf, let alone the ceiling. I won't speak for others but that's what I personally am unhappy with and what I personally see as the mistake. You always play to win and settle for a draw if that's what it ends up as. There was nothing in the team selection and tactics that suggest we played for anything else.

Each to their own I guess. 

Personally I'd rather not pick over the bones of a corpse after a loss or draw but move onto the fresh, juicy meat that is the next game.

What's done, is done, it's in the past, forget it and look forward to the next course with relish, not dread.

We're a game away from our first European Final in 9 years and if we fail to get there it's not the end of the world.  I'll be looking forward to the Euros, then the transfer window, the USA Tour and then the start of next season.

I'm happy we have Jürgen as our Manager and we finally have an Unlawful Killing verdict for the 96. 

That's an immense season for me, more trophies will come of that I have no doubt.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7117: May 03, 2016 03:50:24 pm

We could almost say the same about those that criticise Mignolet mate :)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7118: May 03, 2016 03:58:11 pm
      I knew that sister .  You're mowing them down today !   ;D xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Fucks me off no end Skip. 

They're like rats scurrying through the trash searching for whatever negative they can use for a dig.

The sun's shining, we got a fantastic verdict in Warrington after 27 years of waiting, life's good and Jürgen F***ing KLOPP IS OUR MANAGER. 

Who the F**k would have thought that this time last year  :clap:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7119: May 03, 2016 04:00:38 pm
      Course he doesn't mate and he couldn't give a sh*t what we think anyway.

Let's hope if he keeps making these "mistakes" that people don't like, they don't end up driving him out of the Club.  Afterall we clearly know far more about football than he does  ;D

I don't think we have managed to drive a Liverpool manager out of the club so far Debs, although some had a bloody good try with Brendan.

I am sure that most players know more about football than we do, so are we not allowed to assess their performance either.

I think giving reasonable criticism is part and parcel of being a supporter, whether the player, manager, referee or linesman know more than us is beside the point.

No one is infallible and if we disagree with their actions or point out what we believe to be a mistake on their part it doesn't mean that they should take this as a sign they must leave the club.       
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7120: May 03, 2016 04:08:09 pm

Precisely mate. 

It's refreshing that he chooses the team he believes will get the right result, rather than names.  Sure it doesn't always work because it's sport and you can't foresee or plan for every outcome, that's what makes it exciting.

It does worry me that there are shades of Rafa from the fanbase though.  The head scratching over his decisions like they know best.  Opinions are fine, criticism is fine but to outright state he's wrong without appreciating the reasons, even though he states them consistently week in week out, is just putting yourself through unnecessary grief.

It's just weird!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7121: May 03, 2016 04:10:05 pm
      I don't think we have managed to drive a Liverpool manager out of the club so far Debs, although some had a bloody good try with Brendan.

I am sure that most players know more about football than we do, so are we not allowed to assess their performance either.

I think giving reasonable criticism is part and parcel of being a supporter, whether the player, manager, referee or linesman know more than us is beside the point.

No one is infallible and if we disagree with their actions or point out what we believe to be a mistake on their part it doesn't mean that they should take this as a sign they must leave the club.       

Opinions are fine, criticism is fine but to outright state he's wrong without appreciating the reasons, even though he states them consistently week in week out, is just putting yourself through unnecessary grief.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7122: May 03, 2016 04:18:51 pm
      Opinions are fine, criticism is fine but to outright state he's wrong without appreciating the reasons, even though he states them consistently week in week out, is just putting yourself through unnecessary grief.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one Debs.

If I think the manager is wrong I will say so... he doesn't have to agree with me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #7123: May 03, 2016 04:45:39 pm
      It does worry me that there are shades of Rafa from the fanbase though.  The head scratching over his decisions like they know best.  Opinions are fine, criticism is fine but to outright state he's wrong without appreciating the reasons

To be fair Debs the same was happening with Brendan from almost day 1.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7124: May 03, 2016 04:48:00 pm
      Fucks me off no end Skip. 

They're like rats scurrying through the trash searching for whatever negative they can use for a dig.

The sun's shining, we got a fantastic verdict in Warrington after 27 years of waiting, life's good and Jürgen F***ing KLOPP IS OUR MANAGER. 

Who the f**k would have thought that this time last year  :clap:

Life cant get much better Debs. I have renewed hope and the future looks great for the club.
      Compare where we are to the low days of Hansel and Gretel with their "spade in the ground" fairytales.

I dont think any criticism is justified until we've had a summer transfer window and the team becomes more Jürgen's team.
      Im happy with what I am seeing. Some people want the perfect world. It doesnt work that way.

Yes Saint.
      There were people seeking to drive TPM out of the club and Ill put myself head of the queue on that one.
      Whether I was right or wrong I dont give a monkeys.
      Im living in the now and for the future.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7125: May 03, 2016 04:48:02 pm
      We could almost say the same about those that criticise Mignolet mate :)

Don't see the comparison, Jürgen needs a choice to be able to get things wrong.

If, as the strong rumours suggest, that Ward is on his way out on loan then that just gives me more belief that we'll have a new starting keeper coming into the club in the summer. Simon will be moved down the pecking order and he will have to deal with the competition (note I'm not saying he will be competitive with the new starting keeper as you seemed to insinuate in a recent reply). It's exactly what I've wanted for as long as I've talked about transfers. You replace a first teamer with a better player and move them down a notch, the best way to improve a team and squad without question.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #7126: May 03, 2016 04:56:16 pm
      Unless I've missed some nasty comments which I apologise if I have, I've only seen people giving their opinions, I wanted him to bring on Sturridge at HT but I can understand why Jürgen started with that side, so I suppose I'm saying he got it wrong in the second half...BUT I'm in no way not backing our manager, Jürgen will have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know.

We only see Sturridge on the pitch we don't see him in training etc. or speak to him and Klopp will have done his homework on the opposition. I wouldn't swap Klopp for any other manager in the world, I have loads of faith in him and can't wait to see what changes he will make in the summer.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7127: May 03, 2016 05:03:06 pm
      To be fair Debs the same was happening with Brendan from almost day 1.

True mate as it was with Roy but I was referring more about questioning a known winner, someone who's been there, done that, rather than one who still needed to prove they could.

We're not even a full season in and the "I love Jürgen but...." posts have started.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #7128: May 03, 2016 05:11:45 pm
      I have no doubt we are going to do big things next season (and beyond), but I'm not prepared to give up on wanting to do some big things this season and as such, I will surely continue to point out areas where I have questions. If some of you all get sand in your panties about that I guess it's just too bad :D

Deal with it. ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7129: May 03, 2016 05:13:14 pm
      Life cant get much better Debs. I have renewed hope and the future looks great for the club.
      Compare where we are to the low days of Hansel and Gretel with their "spade in the ground" fairytales.

I dont think any criticism is justified until we've had a summer transfer window and the team becomes more Jürgen's team.
      Im happy with what I am seeing. Some people want the perfect world. It doesnt work that way.

Yes Saint.
      There were people seeking to drive TPM out of the club and Ill put myself head of the queue on that one.
      Whether I was right or wrong I dont give a monkeys.
      Im living in the now and for the future.

End of May next year I'll make my full assessment mate but I'm guessing there'll still be plenty of ups and downs on the way.

Quick Reply