Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528209 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8763: Jul 29, 2016 08:38:30 pm
      Jürgen Klopp: 'I try to have influence even during games

BY GABRIELE MARCOTTI

Liverpool's Jürgen Klopp says every player in his squad will have an influence on the upcoming season.
      Jürgen Klopp probably doesn't mind the image he gives off to the world. Smiley, jokey, animated, goofy, mad professor, fun-loving, dunking off a swing onto a children's basketball hoop -- it's part of his charm.

But he'll have you know there's steel beneath the big glasses and Irish Sea-wide smile.

In 2005, he was managing Mainz, who had just avoided relegation from the Bundesliga. One day, he called his best friend at the time, a midfielder named Jürgen Krammy, into his office to tell him he would not be extending his contract.

"So, there's good news and bad news," Klopp told him.

"What's the bad news?" Krammy asked.

"You're not getting a new contract."

Krammy looked stunned. They had been friends for a long time. "And the good news?" he asked, tentatively.

"Well, you can go and work with the youth team," Klopp said.

Krammy did not take it well, especially since Klopp knew how bad he wanted to continue playing and how much he still believed in himself. He turned it down and got up and left without adding a word.

Recalling that day, Klopp says he felt at the time that he wanted to run after him, to tell him that it was a joke, that, of course, he'd give him a new deal, that they'd still be friends. "But you can't do that," he says. "When you've convinced yourself of a decision you have to take it. And sometimes it's not what people want to hear. I like to be a nice guy until you can't be a nice guy anymore."

"The thing is, though, when you're in charge, you can and should get lots of advice from lots of people, but, in the end, when you take your decision, you have to make it alone," he adds.

To him, that's the key. Everyone contributes, one guy decides. Take Liverpool's much discussed -- and, by some, derided -- transfer committee of years past where, rather than a top-down decision from the manager, the process was collective.

"I don't think it makes sense to give one person all the power," he says. "And not just in football. That's why we live in a democracy ... hopefully it stays like this. It makes sense to put all the skills you have in the club to help you reach the best decision. It's how I'm used to working."

There's no passing of the buck.

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp says the buck stops with him when it comes to making the final decision on transfers.

"It would be very easy for me to sit here and if someone is not satisfied with a transfer, say, 'Sorry, but it was this guy [who wanted him]'" he says, pointing to an imaginary director of football or scouting coordinator or chief executive. "I sit in the chair and I need to make decisions."

It's the loneliness of the manager. A messiah one minute, an impostor the next. And for all the work you do, all the preparation, all the study, in the end, once your 11 men cross that white line, it's almost entirely out of your hands.

"It's the job, you have to accept it," Klopp says. "I can't score goals, but I can show [my guys] how to get into position to score goals. And I can't defend but I can show them how to organize themselves so the opponent gets into less dangerous positions. But yes, that's why I am lively on the sidelines, I try to have influence even during games."

Klopp took over from Brendan Rodgers last October. That meant no preseason training and, with no winter break, little chance to work on what are two of his priorities: physical preparation and instilling the tactical concepts required for his counter-pressing. ("We played 63 games, too!" he's quick to point out, a result of Liverpool reaching the final of both the Europa League and the League Cup.) This season, it should be more of a Klopp team.

"For sure!" he says. "We tried our best last year and I'd say it was OK. But now it's different. It will be more 'our' team and hopefully everyone can see the improvement."

Liverpool have already signed seven senior players. Half a dozen, including Joe Allen, Jordon Ibe, Martin Skrtel and Kolo Toure, have left. But this group remains a work in progress, particularly as it's still a big squad.

"We will see, the development of a team never ends," Klopp says. "I don't think we'll have a lot, but I think we will have some changes on the outgoing side."

"What I can say, though, is that everybody who is in this squad after Aug. 31 will have a big influence on this club," he adds. "And if we win something, it will be because of the group. Everybody who gives 100 percent will play. Maybe not every week, but very often."

With another manager, it would feel like coach-speak. With Klopp, it does not. There's an evident warmth about him, a personal engagement. It's not hard to see why he quickly became a folk hero in Dortmund and is on his way, in less than a year, to doing the same at Liverpool.

When he decided to accept the club's offer, the first thing he did was watch the Hillsborough documentary. He says he knew about it, but felt he needed to do more. Then he grew more engaged, meeting the families and understanding more not just about the tragedy, but of the 27 year fight for justice that followed.

"I love this city for what they did in the 27 years after Hillsborough," he says. "The nonstop fight for justice, the way they all stuck together. At the memorial, I heard Evertonians talking about it and how they were affected and the respect that exists.

"You know, it's easy to say it's only football, but here there is so much more behind it," he adds. "In such an awful tragedy, we saw so much unity in a city like Liverpool. I don't think that's something to take for granted. There are many other places where it would not happen. That's one of the things that makes this city special."

For some managers, the top end of football is all they've known since the age of 16. Cosseted promising youngster to star player at big team to promising young coach at well-heeled club to top job: that's the progression. Klopp, mainly because he spent most of his playing days in the lower divisions, had to claw his way up. He worked as a bartender, he worked in a hospital, he worked in TV: in front of and behind the camera. In his early 20s, he decided to go to university and pursue a degree in Sport Science. In an interview with the BBC, his old university professor talked about how the 20-something Klopp effectively balanced three jobs: as a professional footballer, a full-time student and a parent of a young child.

Maybe he felt he needed a Plan B. Klopp tells the story of how when he left high school, his principal was somewhat down on his prospects.

"Let's hope this football thing works out for you, Jürgen," he told him. "Because otherwise ..."

Then he frowned.

"For someone like me, I always knew that I wanted to be a coach, but I needed something else too, because it's not easy," Klopp says. "You need a lot of luck and a lot of coincidences to fall into place to get a chance. So I knew I needed a serious education. I knew nothing about sports science, but as it turned out, it was exactly what I needed. It was the perfect preparation for me. It's like in life ... every book you read, every newspaper you read, every conversation with a smarter person you have ... of course you need it, it makes you better."

Whether all this actually makes Liverpool better on the pitch, which ultimately is what his employers care about, will be determined in the next 10 months or so.

In the meantime, Liverpool have themselves a manager who is willing to take responsibility and oozes infectious enthusiasm, while remaining steadfastly humble and aware of his origins. In many ways, that's a welcome change from some of his predecessors and colleagues.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/2920162/Jürgen-klopp-on-liverpool-transfers-and-coaching-in-espn-fc-exclusive-interview

Good man we have in charge..would not trade him for anybody.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8764: Jul 29, 2016 08:40:29 pm

http://www.espnfc.com/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/2920162/Jürgen-klopp-on-liverpool-transfers-and-coaching-in-espn-fc-exclusive-interview

Lot of positive articles about Jürgen out at the moment. Not sure if he's just so good that people can't help writing positive articles about him, or maybe that FSG are a little worried that if we have a positive net spend there may be a backlash if things don't go to plan.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8765: Jul 29, 2016 10:25:26 pm

BY GABRIELE MARCOTTI

Liverpool's Jürgen Klopp says every player in his squad will have an influence on the upcoming season.
      Jürgen Klopp probably doesn't mind the image he gives off to the world. Smiley, jokey, animated, goofy, mad professor, fun-loving, dunking off a swing onto a children's basketball hoop -- it's part of his charm.

But he'll have you know there's steel beneath the big glasses and Irish Sea-wide smile.

In 2005, he was managing Mainz, who had just avoided relegation from the Bundesliga. One day, he called his best friend at the time, a midfielder named Jürgen Krammy, into his office to tell him he would not be extending his contract.

"So, there's good news and bad news," Klopp told him.

"What's the bad news?" Krammy asked.

"You're not getting a new contract."

Krammy looked stunned. They had been friends for a long time. "And the good news?" he asked, tentatively.

"Well, you can go and work with the youth team," Klopp said.

Krammy did not take it well, especially since Klopp knew how bad he wanted to continue playing and how much he still believed in himself. He turned it down and got up and left without adding a word.

Recalling that day, Klopp says he felt at the time that he wanted to run after him, to tell him that it was a joke, that, of course, he'd give him a new deal, that they'd still be friends. "But you can't do that," he says. "When you've convinced yourself of a decision you have to take it. And sometimes it's not what people want to hear. I like to be a nice guy until you can't be a nice guy anymore."

"The thing is, though, when you're in charge, you can and should get lots of advice from lots of people, but, in the end, when you take your decision, you have to make it alone," he adds.

To him, that's the key. Everyone contributes, one guy decides. Take Liverpool's much discussed -- and, by some, derided -- transfer committee of years past where, rather than a top-down decision from the manager, the process was collective.

"I don't think it makes sense to give one person all the power," he says. "And not just in football. That's why we live in a democracy ... hopefully it stays like this. It makes sense to put all the skills you have in the club to help you reach the best decision. It's how I'm used to working."

There's no passing of the buck.

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp says the buck stops with him when it comes to making the final decision on transfers.

"It would be very easy for me to sit here and if someone is not satisfied with a transfer, say, 'Sorry, but it was this guy [who wanted him]'" he says, pointing to an imaginary director of football or scouting coordinator or chief executive. "I sit in the chair and I need to make decisions."

It's the loneliness of the manager. A messiah one minute, an impostor the next. And for all the work you do, all the preparation, all the study, in the end, once your 11 men cross that white line, it's almost entirely out of your hands.

"It's the job, you have to accept it," Klopp says. "I can't score goals, but I can show [my guys] how to get into position to score goals. And I can't defend but I can show them how to organize themselves so the opponent gets into less dangerous positions. But yes, that's why I am lively on the sidelines, I try to have influence even during games."

Klopp took over from Brendan Rodgers last October. That meant no preseason training and, with no winter break, little chance to work on what are two of his priorities: physical preparation and instilling the tactical concepts required for his counter-pressing. ("We played 63 games, too!" he's quick to point out, a result of Liverpool reaching the final of both the Europa League and the League Cup.) This season, it should be more of a Klopp team.

"For sure!" he says. "We tried our best last year and I'd say it was OK. But now it's different. It will be more 'our' team and hopefully everyone can see the improvement."

Liverpool have already signed seven senior players. Half a dozen, including Joe Allen, Jordon Ibe, Martin Skrtel and Kolo Toure, have left. But this group remains a work in progress, particularly as it's still a big squad.

"We will see, the development of a team never ends," Klopp says. "I don't think we'll have a lot, but I think we will have some changes on the outgoing side."

"What I can say, though, is that everybody who is in this squad after Aug. 31 will have a big influence on this club," he adds. "And if we win something, it will be because of the group. Everybody who gives 100 percent will play. Maybe not every week, but very often."

With another manager, it would feel like coach-speak. With Klopp, it does not. There's an evident warmth about him, a personal engagement. It's not hard to see why he quickly became a folk hero in Dortmund and is on his way, in less than a year, to doing the same at Liverpool.

When he decided to accept the club's offer, the first thing he did was watch the Hillsborough documentary. He says he knew about it, but felt he needed to do more. Then he grew more engaged, meeting the families and understanding more not just about the tragedy, but of the 27 year fight for justice that followed.

"I love this city for what they did in the 27 years after Hillsborough," he says. "The nonstop fight for justice, the way they all stuck together. At the memorial, I heard Evertonians talking about it and how they were affected and the respect that exists.

"You know, it's easy to say it's only football, but here there is so much more behind it," he adds. "In such an awful tragedy, we saw so much unity in a city like Liverpool. I don't think that's something to take for granted. There are many other places where it would not happen. That's one of the things that makes this city special."

For some managers, the top end of football is all they've known since the age of 16. Cosseted promising youngster to star player at big team to promising young coach at well-heeled club to top job: that's the progression. Klopp, mainly because he spent most of his playing days in the lower divisions, had to claw his way up. He worked as a bartender, he worked in a hospital, he worked in TV: in front of and behind the camera. In his early 20s, he decided to go to university and pursue a degree in Sport Science. In an interview with the BBC, his old university professor talked about how the 20-something Klopp effectively balanced three jobs: as a professional footballer, a full-time student and a parent of a young child.

Maybe he felt he needed a Plan B. Klopp tells the story of how when he left high school, his principal was somewhat down on his prospects.

"Let's hope this football thing works out for you, Jürgen," he told him. "Because otherwise ..."

Then he frowned.

"For someone like me, I always knew that I wanted to be a coach, but I needed something else too, because it's not easy," Klopp says. "You need a lot of luck and a lot of coincidences to fall into place to get a chance. So I knew I needed a serious education. I knew nothing about sports science, but as it turned out, it was exactly what I needed. It was the perfect preparation for me. It's like in life ... every book you read, every newspaper you read, every conversation with a smarter person you have ... of course you need it, it makes you better."

Whether all this actually makes Liverpool better on the pitch, which ultimately is what his employers care about, will be determined in the next 10 months or so.

In the meantime, Liverpool have themselves a manager who is willing to take responsibility and oozes infectious enthusiasm, while remaining steadfastly humble and aware of his origins. In many ways, that's a welcome change from some of his predecessors and colleagues.

You can't help but take to him. Liked the Krammy anecdote, wanting to go after him, but didn't.

Looking forward to the season... :)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8766: Jul 30, 2016 02:37:29 am
      He looked very tired just now at the press conference in California. Interesting comments about how so much of the training is about developing greater intuition among player,specifically as they interact with one another - like building a fine machine with all the parts working together. I think that gives some insight into his reluctance toward so many big (really big) money signings.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8767: Jul 30, 2016 06:35:09 pm
      It's simples ppl, the man is just absolute class, and we are so lucky he's at our club, now go compere that KUNT at the end of the East Lancs Rd, ....

......talk about chalk & cheese !

YNWA
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #8768: Jul 30, 2016 06:51:22 pm
      What a man he is.

Needs to grow that f**king beard back though. ;D

Maybe the PR had a word as they did with Rodgers about his pearly whites...;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,173 posts | 8549 
      Reply #8769: Jul 30, 2016 09:56:13 pm
      He looked very tired just now at the press conference in California.

Probably just had a funny ciggie.

What a man he is.

Needs to grow that F***ing beard back though. ;D

Just had a shave pre-season, the beard will be back before the Arsenal game kicks off ;)

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #8770: Jul 30, 2016 09:58:20 pm
      Love how the Boss is putting it out there that this is his team/squad, no excuses & we will be challengers...

Love listening to him..
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #8771: Aug 01, 2016 02:22:23 am
      You could honestly listen to the boss all day. You gotta imagine how it would feel to be one of the Liverpool players and be coached by the man himself.  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Inside the Mind of Jürgen Klopp
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC3tzy9OX6A
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,635 posts | 130 
      Reply #8772: Aug 01, 2016 06:34:20 am
      Anyone who gets excited about the bosses made transfers so far? (including the sells)

Just looked at an overview of the bought and sold players and I just thought "huh, maybe they are all decent players but neither of them get me really excited"

Just wondering if it is just me.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #8773: Aug 01, 2016 07:47:51 am
      Anyone who gets excited about the bosses made transfers so far? (including the sells)

Just looked at an overview of the bought and sold players and I just thought "huh, maybe they are all decent players but neither of them get me really excited"

None of them get me out of my seat. None of them have that 'wow' factor. That said, ironically, the one I've been most impressed with is Ejaria (who came through the ranks).

Grujic looks promising, but hasn't done it against top opposition yet. Not his fault of course. Big, strong, powerful, and confident.

Mane has gone off the boil a bit after his good performance against Tranmere (might have been Fleetwood). He has pace and power but little end product. I think he'll come good though. A pacey wide man is something we've been lacking so it's another option at least.

Too early to judge Wijnaldum and Karius has basically been a spectator apart from one miss controlled trap of the ball and one decent save (it was at a nice height). They say Karius is a very confident man, and that to me is essential with goalkeepers.

Klavan looks classy, composed and can pass the ball too. Bang for your buck, so far he seems to be the best purchase, along with Matip.

Talking of Matip, he looks a good signing too. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Matip/Klavan pair up.

But if you're looking for that 'marquee' signing, that player who excites and gets you out of your seat. then no, not even close.

But it's like I say, I don't think Klopp tends to go for individual brilliance. He looks for players with a solid work ethic and efficiency. A Reus instead of a Ronaldo, a Grujic instead of a Pogba, a Mane instead of a Bale. Specialised players that seem to have that 'work hard for the team' ethic in their DNA. Players that are good at their role and give solid 7/10 displays season in season out. I guess it doesn't make any sense to have one or two players giving you 9/10 every week when all the rest are 5/10s. Players with the right mentality.

I'm not saying Klopp would turn down those players (Bale et al), no doubt he'd buy them if he could. But he couldn't at Mainz, couldn't at Dortmund, and won't at Liverpool. So obviously he's had to approach transfer deals from a different angle. He seems to favour a plan or team structure that tips the hat toward team ethic first, individualism second. Hard graft first, luxury players second.

Just look at his training sessions, with players having to shout out the name of a player they're going to pass the ball to - before they even receive the ball. That kind of thing. 11 players working with a hive mind mentality.

So yes, on one hand, I'm a little deflated, but on the other, this is Klopp quietly going about his business. Klopp said it best himself; "We can't buy players in the Champions League so we have to buy players that can get us into the Champions League." Or something like that.

TL;DR: Klopp is building a team of footballers - not a team of superstars.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #8774: Aug 01, 2016 07:50:11 am

I see a lot of pace, particularly the kind that can press, force turnovers and counter. I think that is exciting because that's the style the boss likes. If he got Higuain for example, we would have a big name but he's not really a Klopp type player. I'm not sure if Origi or Sturridge is either; however, they are both very good players.

Actually I would only get excited if a cloned Zico, Falcao, Socrates, Cerezo and Junior walked into Melwood.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #8775: Aug 01, 2016 11:15:56 am
      We will have half a dozen or so games at Anfield next season where we will become frustrated because the other team have men behind the ball and we can't break them down. The reason we can't unlock their defence is because we aren't buying top quality. We aren't buying the Hazards, the Sanchez's or the Silvas of the league - we are buying the Manes.

It's great saying we need width and pace plus some work ethic so in comes Mane, but Mane doesn't have that top quality required to play for a club like ours who are expected to win every week - especially at Anfield.

I hope I'm wrong I really do. I hope Mane ups his game and turns into a world beater. But we paid a lot of money for him (through no fault of his own) and if we are struggling to break down the likes of West Brom and Stoke {which I expect} then there will be some heavy criticism coming his/Jurgens way.

Before anybody uses Leicester as an example - they were actually favourites to go down last season. Teams set up completely different against them and expected to beat them. The likes of Vardy and Mahrez had acres of space. Leicester will finish no higher than mid table this season because the likes of West Brom and Stoke will play a lot more defensive against them and man mark or focus on their key players.

We are always expected to win. Every game we play we are expected to win. ESPECIALLY at Anfield. Even the likes of f**king Chelsea park the bus against us. Looking at our business so far, I'm not convinced we have anywhere near the quality required to challenge for the title and I'm not convinced we have enough to see us over that 4th place finish either.

Hopefully Jurgens heavy metal gung ho fast paced football will be enough to see us through. If we didn't have Jürgen Klopp though we would be well and truly fu**ed with this squad in my opinion.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8776: Aug 01, 2016 11:35:21 am

I get what your saying but having bought a load of duffers in the past regardless of price I want to see what Jürgen can do with a team he has built. The only position I really wanted big money spending on is the Goal keeper Mignolet will have had to improve massively to warrant not buying a world class goalkeeper
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8777: Aug 01, 2016 01:04:29 pm

The names don't excite me but Jürgen has addressed pretty much all the positions i hoped he would and all with players he wanted, so that gives me enough confidence.

Liking the look of Firmino, Origi, Lovren and (whisper it quietly) Moreno in pre-season (still very early to judge of course) so hopefully they step it up a notch from last season and what we have left is a lot of improved performances and new players that add something we didn't have last season.

Add that we'll have a squad with a full pre-season under their belt with Jürgen and all looks positive to me.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #8778: Aug 01, 2016 01:22:44 pm

No and therein lies the problem for me, with our transfers this summer. Rewind six months ago and almost to a man (and woman) this forum and most fans generally agreed that we just needed that little bit of stardust sprinkling on this squad and we'd have something special. Just one or two players with that X-factor, the 'piano player' and we'd challenge and have damn good chance of winning the title. Instead, Klopp's decided to completely tear up the script and start from scratch again, setting us back years. How many cycles of rebuilding are we going to have to go through? With other teams it's evolution, iteration on what they have. With us we buy and sell a dozen players each year and wonder why we finish 8th. Things might change, we might blitz the opposition and cruise to the title and I'll be the first to stand up and admit I was wrong if we do, but right now I'm deeply disillusioned and I have zero optimism going into this season. I can't see us finishing higher than sixth. Feel free to criticise me for an opinion if you wish, but that's how I feel.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #8779: Aug 01, 2016 01:59:41 pm
      The names don't excite me but Jürgen has addressed pretty much all the positions i hoped he would and all with players he wanted, so that gives me enough confidence.

Liking the look of Firmino, Origi, Lovren and (whisper it quietly) Moreno in pre-season (still very early to judge of course) so hopefully they step it up a notch from last season and what we have left is a lot of improved performances and new players that add something we didn't have last season.

Add that we'll have a squad with a full pre-season under their belt with Jürgen and all looks positive to me.

Klopp seems to be building a squad of players who are capable and will do what he wants them to do. Not a hint of Galactico. Looks like he's going to assemble a squad of players who can produce results that is greater than the sum of its parts.

I can live without big names. Just give me the win and the three points. How? Teamwork, hardwork, develop technique, physical aspect and game intelligence.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8780: Aug 01, 2016 02:01:45 pm
      I can live without big names. Just give me the win and the three points. How? Teamwork, hardwork, develop technique, physical aspect and game intelligence.

How it should be, mate.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8781: Aug 01, 2016 02:29:50 pm
      not long to go now and we will get to see what Jürgen has in his mind with this team. Lets hope we win the first ten on the bounce so the nervous souls amongst us can relax a bit
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,635 posts | 130 
      Reply #8782: Aug 01, 2016 03:52:02 pm
      I still think selling Allen, Skrtel, Ibe (and maybe Lucas) isn't super smart.

Sure these players aren't world beaters but Lucas and Skrtel offer experience and what it means to play for Liverpool. It is important this gets passed on to the new players coming in. Look at the current squad and tell me who really understands what it means to pull on the red shirt. Flanagan for sure! Other than that? maybe Henderson?

Allen is a good and decent squad player to have in the team, you are happy to have him when the injuries strike.   

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #8783: Aug 01, 2016 05:11:03 pm

Sure these players aren't world beaters but Lucas and Skrtel offer experience and what it means to play for Liverpool. It is important this gets passed on to the new players coming in. Look at the current squad and tell me who really understands what it means to pull on the red shirt. Flanagan for sure! Other than that? maybe Henderson?

Allen is a good and decent squad player to have in the team, you are happy to have him when the injuries strike.   

The more I think about it, the more I am happy with us replacing Allen with Wijnaldum. Wijnaldum is technically a better player, stronger, quicker and probably a work horse too, only thing he may not be as good as is the tackling/defending aspect, but is that such a problem when much of our defensive work is more focused on pressing? And, he will likely to have a #6 to cover him too.

Skrtel on the other hand, struggles to play a high line, and his passing/ball playing ability isn't exactly what Klopp wants, so experienced or not, I think Klopp got it right. Same with Ibe, we replaced him with Mane, and Ojo looks streets ahead of Ibe too.

As for Lucas, I think it would be a bad idea not going in the season without a recoignised #6... unless you consider Can as one!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8784: Aug 01, 2016 07:07:59 pm

Skrtel went a season too late in all honesty mate, he had become a complete liability. I'm still struggling to think of someone who has imploded as much as him in one game. Came on at half time vs Saints and was at fault for all 3 goals that led to us losing, his all round performance in that half wasn't far off Jonathan Woodgate's Real Madrid debut and was one of our worst individual performances over the last 10-15 years IMO.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,635 posts | 130 
      Reply #8785: Aug 02, 2016 07:47:36 am
      The more I think about it, the more I am happy with us replacing Allen with Wijnaldum. Wijnaldum is technically a better player, stronger, quicker and probably a work horse too, only thing he may not be as good as is the tackling/defending aspect, but is that such a problem when much of our defensive work is more focused on pressing? And, he will likely to have a #6 to cover him too.

Skrtel on the other hand, struggles to play a high line, and his passing/ball playing ability isn't exactly what Klopp wants, so experienced or not, I think Klopp got it right. Same with Ibe, we replaced him with Mane, and Ojo looks streets ahead of Ibe too.

As for Lucas, I think it would be a bad idea not going in the season without a recoignised #6... unless you consider Can as one!

I don't know anything about this Wijnaldum guy. But I'm open to be positively surprised him! If we lose Lucas I will be gutted!  :(

Skrtel went a season too late in all honesty mate, he had become a complete liability. I'm still struggling to think of someone who has imploded as much as him in one game. Came on at half time vs Saints and was at fault for all 3 goals that led to us losing, his all round performance in that half wasn't far off Jonathan Woodgate's Real Madrid debut and was one of our worst individual performances over the last 10-15 years IMO.

I agree with both of you! Skrtel really did lose his game. However my point is that you lose all this long serving players and all you are left with are just "promising" players which have no connection to recent history. If a Lucas or Skrtel is in the dressing room with 300+ games played it is just different than you have a bunch of players with maybe 300 games combined sit there.  Klopp better knows what he is doing and give the team a real identity!

Quick Reply