Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Best Current Starting Eleven

Read 9923 times
      Holderness Liver
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 1 posts |
      Best Current Starting Eleven
      Oct 12, 2015 04:16:53 pm
      Newby Here, Would be interested to See what your Starting eleven (Assuming all players are fit) in Klopp's Favoured 4-2-3-1 Formation....

I'd go with...

Mignolet

Clyne / Gomez / Sakho / Moreno

Henderson / Can

Firminho / Coutinho / Lallana

Ings

I know that means Leaving Sturridge out but feel ings would suit the pressing game better, as for Benteke, Not sure.....

Should Klopp try and get a formation to include 2 strikers???
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Re: Best Current Starting Eleven
      Reply #1: Oct 12, 2015 05:33:42 pm
      Newby Here, Would be interested to See what your Starting eleven (Assuming all players are fit) in Klopp's Favoured 4-2-3-1 Formation....

I'd go with...

Mignolet

Clyne / Gomez / Sakho / Moreno

Henderson / Can

Firminho / Coutinho / Lallana

Ings

I know that means Leaving Sturridge out but feel ings would suit the pressing game better, as for Benteke, Not sure.....

Should Klopp try and get a formation to include 2 strikers???

Ibe for Lallana.

Studge for Ings.

Possibility he might play Benteke with Studge from the left or right.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2: Oct 12, 2015 05:50:38 pm
      First of all, welcome to the forum. With the new manager coming him and the style of play that he operates with, this is quite a difficult one to answer. Will he stick to his tried and trusted 4-2-3-1 style or will he go with a formation that suits the players we have?

My team would probably be:

Mignolet

Clyne - Skrtel/Gomez - Sakho - Moreno

Henderson - Lucas

Firmino - Lallana - Coutinho

Sturridge

One thing I'm certain of though is you don't leave your best striker on the bench so Sturridge starts IMO. I like Lallana; his energy, pressing and his close touches when dribbling are good to watch but he holds onto the ball for far too long and this may be a reason why Lallana could be left out of best starting 11. I'd like to say Ibe could get the nod with him being an out and out winger but he tends to do too much on the ball too. It's a toss up between those two.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3: Oct 12, 2015 06:00:42 pm
      Will he stick to his tried and trusted 4-2-3-1 style or will he go with a formation that suits the players we have?

I know Klopp likes his 4231 formation, but I feel 442 diamond would be best suited with the current crop of players we have. Would love to see:

Clyne, Can, Sakho, Moreno
                   Lucas
            Hendo    Coutinho
                  Firmino
            Sturridge   Ings

If we do play 4231, I'd like to see this:

Hendo  Lucas
        Ings    Coutinho  Firmino
                     Sturridge
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4: Oct 12, 2015 06:58:24 pm

Hendo  Lucas
                     Sturridge

This is very close to what I believe is our best XI. I think Can may miss out in the XI for Gomez in the position you put him, not beyond the realms of possibility that this could knock Lucas out of the side and Can starting there but I doubt it.

The thing I like about the players you've chosen is that as you demonstrate they transpose very easily into a 4-3-3 4-4-2 Diamond.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #5: Oct 12, 2015 07:06:59 pm
      Ings is a good shout for the left of the 3 as well guys.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6: Oct 12, 2015 07:27:00 pm
      Ings as a wide forward? Wow....... just dont see it as he doesnt have the skill set.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7: Oct 12, 2015 07:51:47 pm
      I know Klopp likes his 4231 formation, but I feel 442 diamond would be best suited with the current crop of players we have. Would love to see:

Lucas
            Hendo    Coutinho
                  Firmino
            Sturridge   Ings

If we do play 4231, I'd like to see this:

Hendo  Lucas
                     Sturridge

I quite like your first formation, your second formation strikes me as a bit Brendan Rodgerish, with Ings and Firmino out wide. I don't think Can is good enough to play CB either.

I know that's a lot of criticism but I genuinely do like your first formation.

Mignolet

Clyne        Skrtel        Sakho        Moreno

Lucas

Henderson    Can

Coutinho

Sturridge   Benteke

Is how I would set us up 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Oct 12, 2015 07:58:20 pm
      I expect Can to make good progress with Klopp as our manager, I also expect to see a different attitude from the players as regards fight. To this end I will not try and predict the line up for the Spurs match.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #9: Oct 12, 2015 08:28:04 pm
      Id go with:
      Mignolet
      Clyne
      Gomez
      Sakho
      Moreno

Henderson
      Can

Couthino
      Ibe
      Firmino

Sturridge
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #10: Oct 12, 2015 08:31:30 pm
      I expect Can to make good progress with Klopp as our manager, I also expect to see a different attitude from the players as regards fight. To this end I will not try and predict the line up for the Spurs match.

Agree...

I'll put my 11 believers up after the Man City game..

Welcome to the forum Holderness Liver..
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #11: Oct 12, 2015 10:35:26 pm
      Moreno as a LB who needs to defend doesn't work... I'd be willing to try

-------------------Migs
      Clyne------Can--------Sahko------Gomez

-----------Milner-------Lucas
      ---------------Coutinho
      ---------Ings-----------------------Moreno
      ------------------Sturridge

Looks odd on paper but Milner can give width on the right should we need it, as can Ings although I'd like to keep him central. Lucas can cover the centre should Can want to push on and Gomez and Moreno should give a nice balance on the left. Benteke can slot in depending on how hot/cold Ings goes, same goes for Firmino. Good headache to have. Henderson takes the place of Lucas or Milner depending on form also.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #12: Oct 12, 2015 10:38:01 pm
      Ings as a wide forward? Wow....... just dont see it as he doesnt have the skill set.

your second formation strikes me as a bit Brendan Rodgerish, with Ings and Firmino out wide.

You know what, you are right, it is Rodgers like to throw them out wide just to accommodate them in which I have done. In my defense, we have been in the Rodgers era for too long, and I have become accustom to players playing out of position and hoping for the best.
      Just because Firmino is a better footballer than Moreno or Ibe, doesn't necessary mean he'll offer more than them, right? Same with Ings(#9) or Lallana(attacking midfielder), they don't have that explosive pace that you would want from your wide players in a 4231 formation, that positional sense or understanding of the wide role.

We need to start looking into playing as a team rather than strangers. How do we do that? It's not about trying to fit all our best players on the pitch, the key is balance and having players in their more natural roles, and with the right ingredient, I feel we'll be able to defend, press and attack effectively as a unit.

Clyne, Can/Gomez Sakho Enrique
                    Hendo  Lucas
           Ibe         Coutinho     Moreno
                     Ings/Sturridge

I think Can may miss out in the XI for Gomez in the position you put him

I don't think Can is good enough to play CB either.

As for Gomez over Can, I do not mind, but I'm really curious to see Can in the CB role under Klopp, I really do think in time if nurtured as a CB, he could potentially become a great. He has the attributes to succeed, from physicality, composure in bringing the ball out as well as those long diagonal passes to wide areas, i just feel he can add a different dimension... but then, the same could be said about Gomez minus the passing!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13: Oct 12, 2015 10:42:13 pm
      As for Gomez over Can, I do not mind, but I'm really curious to see Can in the CB role under Klopp, I really do think in time if nurtured as a CB, he could potentially become a great. He has the attributes to succeed, from physicality, composure in bringing the ball out as well as those long diagonal passes to wide areas, i just feel he can add a different dimension... but then, the same could be said about Gomez minus the passing!

Agreed with the attributes mate but aren't those more in-line with a midfielder than defender. I think Can has defensive qualities but they're nowhere near the top of the list when I watch him play.

I think he's sorely misused when at the back and also exposed, I think it's done nothing for his confidence and may have already stunted his progress. If I were manager I would mould him into a Yaya Toure type without a question. He doesn't have the defensive awareness to put too much responsibility on his head but when asked to recover he can find an incredible burst of speed it just takes a while to get up to those higher gears.

What he'd give you going forward is someone who not only bursts through many times a game but also someone with a decent shot and that steel in the challenge that a lot of our lads lack. Now if this is enough for Klopp to give him that starting berth in the centre I just don't think so right now, I think Henderson will be a relatively easy choice right now.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,921 posts | 283 
      Reply #14: Oct 13, 2015 12:27:40 am
      If its a fresh start, I'd probably go with this.

Home:
                                   Mignolet
      Clyne         Gomez                   Sakho       Moreno
                    Henderson              Milner
                                   Coutinho
                     Ings        Benteke       Sturridge

Away:
                                  Mignolet
       Clyne             Skrtel          Sakho          Gomez
                                    Can
            Henderson                            Milner
                                Coutinho
                      Sturridge          Ings

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #15: Oct 13, 2015 12:39:40 am
      Agreed with the attributes mate but aren't those more in-line with a midfielder than defender. I think Can has defensive qualities but they're nowhere near the top of the list when I watch him play.

I think he's sorely misused when at the back and also exposed, I think it's done nothing for his confidence and may have already stunted his progress. If I were manager I would mould him into a Yaya Toure type without a question. He doesn't have the defensive awareness to put too much responsibility on his head but when asked to recover he can find an incredible burst of speed it just takes a while to get up to those higher gears.

What he'd give you going forward is someone who not only bursts through many times a game but also someone with a decent shot and that steel in the challenge that a lot of our lads lack. Now if this is enough for Klopp to give him that starting berth in the centre I just don't think so right now, I think Henderson will be a relatively easy choice right now.

You are absolutely right in what he can offer if he plays in midfield, his physicality, recovery tackles and ball carrying at times are similar to Yaya, but what else? The problem is, I don't see a definitive role in midfield for him as of yet, where as Allen, Lucas, Hendo and Milner, you know exactly what they can offer, then you have Rossiter, Brannagan and Chirivella coming up, whom I believe are more technically gifted.

I find myself very indecisive when it comes to Can in midfield. I saw potential in the U21 tournament when he played there, but as I mentioned before, the real linchpin was Kimmich, who allowed Can to have more freedom in the middle, but even then, I felt he was average, and the problem is, we don't have a Kimmich to partner Can for him to tap into his potential of a CM role.
      But as you mentioned, Can's midfield progression may have been stunted with him being played all over the pitch, be it for us, Leverkusen or the national team, so perhaps if he played in midfield on a regularly basis, we would see something special.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #16: Oct 13, 2015 04:17:31 am
      Mignolet; Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno; Henderson, Allen; Ibe (ideally this would have been Markovic's position), Firmino, Coutinho; Sturridge.

That's what I'd like to see given a go under Kloppo. My only worry is that in that team we'd be highly reliant on Firmino and Sturridge to score the goals.

You are absolutely right in what he can offer if he plays in midfield, his physicality, recovery tackles and ball carrying at times are similar to Yaya, but what else? The problem is, I don't see a definitive role in midfield for him as of yet, where as Allen, Lucas, Hendo and Milner, you know exactly what they can offer, then you have Rossiter, Brannagan and Chirivella coming up, whom I believe are more technically gifted.

I find myself very indecisive when it comes to Can in midfield. I saw potential in the U21 tournament when he played there, but as I mentioned before, the real linchpin was Kimmich, who allowed Can to have more freedom in the middle, but even then, I felt he was average, and the problem is, we don't have a Kimmich to partner Can for him to tap into his potential of a CM role.
      But as you mentioned, Can's midfield progression may have been stunted with him being played all over the pitch, be it for us, Leverkusen or the national team, so perhaps if he played in midfield on a regularly basis, we would see something special.

I think Can is very technically gifted, I just think he lacks a brain, and I agree, I don't see what role he performs in a team that has Jordan Henderson in it. Henderson is a much better player and offers a hell of a lot more to us. I completely disagree with him being average in the u21 tournament though. He was excellent.

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,664 posts | 883 
      Reply #17: Oct 13, 2015 05:36:37 am
      Let's just say that if Can played for another team, and he was linked with us. We would have seen him as a messiah and wanking at just by the thought he would join us.

The point is that can is one hell of a young player, although he has had some bad games but then again who doesn't?
      Mark my words, if he don't becomes a great player with us, then it will be at some other team.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #18: Oct 13, 2015 07:58:38 am
      Best current starting 11?
      Depends if playing at home/away and who the opposition is.

Michael Owen would be proud of that one :P

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Oct 13, 2015 08:02:21 am
      Its tough if we talking when all fit, which in reality never really happens.

but I think this........

3-5-2

-------------------- Mings ------------------
      -------- Gomez - Skrtel - Sahko ----------
      - Clyne ------- Milner ----------- Moreno -
      ---------- Hendo ----- Coutinho -----------
      ------- Ings - Studger - Firmino ----------
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4966 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20: Oct 13, 2015 08:36:42 am
      Considering injuries I'd say our best current X1 would be thus......

Mignolet
        Clyne Gomez Sakho Moreno
                          Lucas
               Milner.           Can
                        Coutinho
            Ings/Firmino.   Sturridge...

It would be my team to face Spuds,

With a 1_2 victory

YNWA
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Oct 13, 2015 08:44:36 am
      Considering injuries I'd say our best current X1 would be thus......

Mignolet
        Clyne Gomez Sakho Moreno
                          Lucas
               Milner.           Can
                        Coutinho
            Ings/Firmino.   Sturridge...

It would be my team to face Spuds,

With a 1_2 victory

YNWA

With Injuries I agree billy. Is firmino fit again ?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4966 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #22: Oct 13, 2015 08:47:32 am
      Don't like the idea of Can in a DM role I'd much rather Gomez be nurtured there in front of a solid back 4, possibly with Leno in goal and Hummers & Sakho as a cb pairing despite both preferring left side I'm sure Hummels would adapt.

YNWA

Quick Reply