Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Europe. Where do you currently stand?

Read 6193 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Europe. Where do you currently stand?
      Oct 24, 2015 12:35:51 am
      Had a good debate with a few lads from work not so long ago about us reds standing in Europe (as in where do you currently place us in the mixture of club football in Europe).

A lot of them automatically place us in the elite standing. Just because of the amount of European Cups we have. European royalty - you can't argue with that.

But in terms of football and how good we currently are at it, where do we stand?

I think we could probably get a one off result against a Champions League regular but really struggle to achieve a run of successful results in any European competition at this present moment in time.

I think Thursday's game was a good indicator of how far we have fallen. And I think that rot started in the latter stages of the Benitez era.

Where do you stand on Europe?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Re: Europe. Where do you currently stand?
      Reply #1: Oct 24, 2015 12:43:49 am
      There is no doubt our name is still recognised across Europe as one of the Giants of European football but obviously the longer we don't win trophies or compete in Europe that memory in fans will erode.

There was a reason Jürgen came to us as he remembered us as a European heavyweight but maybe that's now a generational thing. Because although Liverpool is still the second team for most Germans how long will that last without success?

Rodgers certainly did us no favours in our recent endeavours in Europe and that's probably where a lot of young fans see LFC!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #2: Oct 24, 2015 12:48:34 am
      Good post. I personally don't think we're as far behind as some make out. I think we have a good group of players that lacks an identity and belief. We are probably  about 3 top drawer players away from being able to field a team that can compete with anyone in Europe. If Klopp can turn Balo, Markovic, Skrtel, Allen, Milner, and Lovren into Howedes, Pjanic, Mkhitaryan and Insigne then we'll have the quality to compete with anyone (obviously these are hypothetical examples). The next step will be developing that collection of quality into a finely tuned winning machine.

Also, regarding the slide starting under Benitez..... it's true, but a little misleading. H&G forcing him to sell players to make interest payments was the cause. Rafa just happened to be the manager who had to operate in those conditions.....
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #3: Oct 24, 2015 01:43:48 am
      Very interesting point!

I think our Champions League run last season was an eye opener of where we are, on the pitch, in Europe. We're underdogs, no longer the giants or favourites. History deserves respect no doubt, but how do you feel about Ajax in Europe now?

We, as fans, demand better, and rightly so. But it's been a long term slump and as such its a long term fix. But realistically if you were to throw us into any Champions League group right now we might have a chance at Group H, but other than that I don't see us qualifying from any other group to be perfectly honest. That's no an early jab at Klopp or an underhand go at Rodgers, this has been happening for years and without proper support there's not a manager alive that could change what we've been through.

It's a shame, remember when Madrid fell apart at Anfield, or Ambromovichs millions couldn't buy him passion. When the best in Europe thought a draw was great result against us, when a final wasn't a dream, it was an expectation. It's a long road back, but as a unit we need to take each step together.

There was a reason Jürgen came to us as he remembered us as a European heavyweight but maybe that's now a generational thing. Because although Liverpool is still the second team for most Germans how long will that last without success?

Exactly! Why would the hottest prospect in managerial football risk it all joining Liverpool if he didn't believe we could get back to that level where we are oh so comfortable!?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4: Oct 24, 2015 02:01:14 am
      A lot of them automatically place us in the elite standing. Just because of the amount of European Cups we have. European royalty - you can't argue with that.

Historically, you can't argue with that, can you? We're the cream of the crop.

But in terms of football and how good we currently are at it, where do we stand?

But as of this moment footballing wise, due to this...

Also, regarding the slide starting under Benitez..... it's true, but a little misleading. H&G forcing him to sell players to make interest payments was the cause. Rafa just happened to be the manager who had to operate in those conditions.....

and this..

Rodgers certainly did us no favours in our recent endeavours in Europe and that's probably where a lot of young fans see LFC!

We have become an average Europa league team, not an average CL team, but an average Europa league team!! How far we have fallen :(

It is time we take precedence in Europa League over the FA and Carling cup and stop treating it like a mickey mouse cup (an attitude largely created by the British media), especially now that the reward is a CL spot, but on top of that, it is hugely financially rewarding.

Europa League
      First qualifying round: €200,000
      Second qualifying round: €210,000
      Third qualifying round: €220,000
      Play-off round elimination: €230,000
      Base fee for group stage: €2,400,000
      Group match victory: €360,000
      Group match draw: €120,000
      Group winners: €500,000
      Group runners-up: €250,000
      Round of 32: €500,000
      Round of 16: €750,000
      Quarter-finals: €1,000,000
      Semi-finals: €1,500,000
      Losing finalist: €3,500,000
      Winners: €6,000,000

FA Cup
      Third Round £7,500
      Fourth Round £12,500
      First Round £18,000
      Second Round £27,000
      Third Round £67,500
      Fourth Round £90,000
      Fifth Round £180,000
      Sixth Round £360,000
      Semi-Final winners £900,000
      Semi-Final losers £450,000
      Final runners-up £900,000
      Final winners £1,800,000

Carling Cup
      Final winners £100k

With a strong team out vs Rubin Kazan, I am confident Klopp understands the value of Europe and the benefits of winning or going far into the competition. Hopefully in time, he will have us once again amongst the greats and challenging against the best where we belong.

remember when Madrid fell apart at Anfield, or Ambromovichs millions couldn't buy him passion. When the best in Europe thought a draw was great result against us, when a final wasn't a dream, it was an expectation. It's a long road back, but as a unit we need to take each step together.

It is time to move away from the rot that has been with us for so many years and to regain that recognition world wide as one of the best teams in the world.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Oct 24, 2015 02:26:22 am
      Without doubt up to 3 or 4 years ago we were one of the most feared clubs in Europe, sadly today that is not the case. Our performances in Europe in recent seasons has been a reflection on the football we have been playing in the league matches.
                                                         I am sure our new boss will treat Europe differently than his predecessor did and so he should. Also the calibre of the majority of the players we have signed in recent years does not make for a good fit in Europe.
                                                          I think it is important that we qualify for Europe every season, preferably the champions league.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Oct 24, 2015 11:09:41 pm
      Had a good debate with a few lads from work not so long ago about us reds standing in Europe (as in where do you currently place us in the mixture of club football in Europe).

I think we could probably get a one off result against a Champions League regular but really struggle to achieve a run of successful results in any European competition at this present moment in time.

I think Thursday's game was a good indicator of how far we have fallen. And I think that rot started in the latter stages of the Benitez era.

I would agree with most of that mate. We still have a name that is respected in Europe but sadly not the team or the recent history to go with it.

I think we have only qualified for the CL once in the last five seasons and lost or drawn to some very small names over the past few years in the Europa, while maybe not treating teams with the respect they deserved because we still believed we were a "big name" team who only had to show up to win.

I think if we played our strongest team in every game we could hold our own in the Europa league, but we are no longer capable of playing 4 or 5 squad players if we wish to progress. Certainly I think we would struggle to even progress past the group stage in the CL whether we played our strongest team or not.

European football has gained strength over the past few years ... while the premier league and especially Liverpool have weakened considerably. Treating European games like League cup games obviously hasn't helped, but we seem to have lost the ability to control games, relying more on pace and physicality to win games rather than having a tactical plan, controlling the game and picking them off at our leisure.

Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,316 posts | 279 
      Reply #7: Oct 25, 2015 06:18:53 am
      We have fallen in the PL and at the moment are pretty much nowhere in Europe, Klopp is here to change that, at the moment he is operating best he can with Brendans team, the rot did start with Rafa but thats not to say he wouldnt have turned it around and we were robbed in Europa semi final when Benayoun had a wrongly disallowed goal against Atletico I think it was and we'd have played Fulham in the Final so Rafa was only a whisker away from adding to our history
      Under Rodgers we became also rans,I dont care how good Real are nobody should come to Anfield and beat us 4-0.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #8: Oct 25, 2015 06:33:32 am
      as Klopp has been begging us to understand, there is no point looking at the past right now, obviously the club has been in a bad place but we have been through the lowest part of the cycle.

i believe we do have fine recent history in europe. we must not be hysterical and pretend we used to be the best club in the world and now we are worse off than newcastle. look at the facts: the past 5 seasons we've played champions league and two campaigns of europa league football; 5 seasons before that we were in the champions league every season, two finals, loss in round of 16, quarters and semis. 10 seasons: no european football in two.

every time we've been in the europa league the past 5 years i've wanted us to win it so badly, because we were joint top with 3 UEFA cups, i wanted us to pull ahead to be the outright best in that comp, as we pulled ahead in the league cups in 2012. we are still the best in england in both european competitions in any case and there are no signs we are going to let that slip.

we've been in a dire, dire position as a club for some time and we've just had a "rookie" manager in charge for 3 seasons - that is the reality of it - we haven't fallen off the face of the earth or anything catastrophic, we just have to establish a winning culture to put this football club back in the upper echelon of world football, like plenty of clubs have done like bayern munich and juventus. we were always going to have a transition period between losing long-serving stalwarts of the club like Reina, Agger, Carragher, Johnson, Gerrard, Torres. that is the reality of the situation. we are bringing in a new wave we want to see here for the next 10 seasons. we want to see the names we've slowly (and it does take time) brought together to stay for 10 seasons and have more success than the names I just listed. that takes time and understanding, especially from the supporters.

if the rumors of former bayern doctor müller wohlfahrt joining the club are true that is further proof we are setting fine standards again at this football club and we are looking for a far brighter next 5 years than the last 5 - which haven't even been that catastrophic! if you start supporting this team now you will enjoy it far greater when we achieve success!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9: Oct 25, 2015 10:01:34 am
      Not in the top 50 currently that is how far we have fallen
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #10: Oct 25, 2015 11:57:12 am
      Quote from s@int
      I would agree with most of that mate. We still have a name that is respected in Europe but sadly not the team or the recent history to go with it.

I think we have only qualified for the CL once in the last five seasons and lost or drawn to some very small names over the past few years in the Europa, while maybe not treating teams with the respect they deserved because we still believed we were a "big name" team who only had to show up to win.

I think we would struggle to even progress past the group stage in the CL whether we played our strongest team or not.

European football has gained strength over the past few years ... while the premier league and especially Liverpool have weakened considerably. Treating European games like League cup games obviously hasn't helped, but we seem to have lost the ability to control games, relying more on pace and physicality to win games rather than having a tactical plan, controlling the game and picking them off at our leisure.

If we aren't good enough to get out of the group phase of the European Cup, why was coming within one goal of making it last year widely considered  "embarrassing"?

We are second seeds in the UEFA Cup now, third in the European Cup. That isn't because we're not controlling the game, it's because we didn't play in Europe twice in recent years, and when we do play in Europe, we don't win enough of them. That won't improve while we field weakened sides or don't want to play in Russia on a Thursday night, but we will if it's the night before.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Oct 25, 2015 12:28:10 pm

I think we'll always be considered as one of Europes Greats due to the amount of Trophies we've won over the years but I agree we have from grace somewhat recently Kenny.  Having said that it corresponds with our failure in the League, if we haven't had/got the players and/or the managers to compete at domestic level we're hardly likely to compete in Europe.

The good thing though is I don't think it'll take that long to get our name back up there.  Get out of our EL group and have a decent ish showing in the knock outs, alongside an improved finish in the league whether that's a CL place or a EL place and we should be able to kick on from next season.  Obviously it'll take time to get back to where we were in Rafas time and maybe we never will hit those heights again but we can quite esaily improve our standing from where we are   :gt-happyup:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #12: Oct 26, 2015 01:11:41 pm
      If we aren't good enough to get out of the group phase of the European Cup, why was coming within one goal of making it last year widely considered  "embarrassing"?

We are second seeds in the UEFA Cup now, third in the European Cup. That isn't because we're not controlling the game, it's because we didn't play in Europe twice in recent years, and when we do play in Europe, we don't win enough of them. That won't improve while we field weakened sides or don't want to play in Russia on a Thursday night, but we will if it's the night before.

Maybe it was embarrassing for some that our record in the CL was played 6 won 1 lost 3 ?

Or maybe it was the fact that we couldn't beat the mighty Basil, but personally I just thought it was a little embarrassing that we gave up any hope of beating R.Madrid after being beaten 3-0 at home and decided to concentrate on our next league game when it came to playing them away.

The fact that we went out in the next round of the UEFA cup to the mighty Besiktas might have proved a little embarrassing to some or the fact that this season we have so far failed to win one of our games in the UEFA cup could be seen by some as not quite living up to the standards of yesteryear.

Personally I think it is because we don't have the quality players we once had or the players that can control a game... you can of course believe whatever excuse you want. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #13: Oct 26, 2015 03:05:39 pm
      Maybe it was embarrassing for some that our record in the CL was played 6 won 1 lost 3 ?

Or maybe it was the fact that we couldn't beat the mighty Basil, but personally I just thought it was a little embarrassing that we gave up any hope of beating R.Madrid after being beaten 3-0 at home and decided to concentrate on our next league game when it came to playing them away.

The fact that we went out in the next round of the UEFA cup to the mighty Besiktas might have proved a little embarrassing to some or the fact that this season we have so far failed to win one of our games in the UEFA cup could be seen by some as not quite living up to the standards of yesteryear.

Personally I think it is because we don't have the quality players we once had or the players that can control a game... you can of course believe whatever excuse you want. 

in his world we won all 6 beat RM home and away 4-0 . Now who was it that managed a team that beat them 4-0 and 1-0 in Madrid cant remember his name but it wasnt f***in Brendan thats for sure.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #14: Oct 26, 2015 03:23:08 pm
      Well we aren't going to finish top 4 so winning this competition takes a firm 2nd place for me.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2817 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Oct 26, 2015 03:25:32 pm
      Our name will always be good in Europe. But results wise were way down the order. Our campaigns last year were tripe and this year is heading the same way.

Nobody fears us anymore simple as that. They will again though
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #16: Oct 26, 2015 03:42:37 pm
      We need to win the thing. I think we can, just need to get going a little more than we have already.

We need some silverware, and this particular piece would put us in the CL next season, regardless.

Essential.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,532 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #17: Oct 26, 2015 04:22:40 pm
      We need to give Europa a good go this season.

After the heysel ban it took us a while to get back into the weay of Europe, but we got there with GH, we are again at a similar cross roads with Europe, it will ge6t better under klopp for sure.

We are still in a good position to qualify for the knock out stages, we just need a wee win or 2.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #18: Oct 26, 2015 06:01:12 pm
      We couldn't been Rubin Kasan, a team near the bottom of the Russian league, who had 10 men, at Anfield.

Think that tells us where we are in Europe just now..
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #19: Oct 26, 2015 06:07:00 pm
      We couldn't been Rubin Kasan, a team near the bottom of the Russian league, who had 10 men, at Anfield.

Think that tells us where we are in Europe just now..

This is true, but we have a quality manager in charge now and things will improve.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Oct 26, 2015 06:12:13 pm
      This is true, but we have a quality manager in charge now and things will improve.

Would be very hopeful they will. Definitely have a great history in Europe, would love to see us back challenging for trophies ...
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #21: Oct 26, 2015 06:31:01 pm
      Europe, where do you currently stand?
      Try to win it, no excuses about it being the lesser cup. If we don't do well I'll be extremely upset.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #22: Nov 02, 2015 10:57:46 pm
      When we qualify out of this group a hell of a lot of European teams won't want to meet Jurgens army in the next round believe me..
      I currently stand confident we can progress with our heads high..

Quick Reply