Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Pre Match: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Sun 8th November 16:00KO

Read 7939 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Re: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Sun 8th November 16:00KO
      Reply #23: Nov 06, 2015 10:41:03 pm
      The way I see it with the midfielders we have, Lucas needs tenacious and hard working players next to him to thrive. Can, Milner, Hendo and Allen are industrial players and cover a hell of a lot of ground that Lucas can't, which in turn allows him to be more of a focal point in the deep central areas where technical ability is more predominant.

So whilst Milner isn't the greatest technically, I still feel he is the better player over Can and possibly Allen in the middle.

But with Tex playing along side Lucas, would that not require Lucas to play more as a traditional DM?

You make very good valid points, the way I see Lucas playing at the moment is as the first pivot in midfield and Obviously Can has been the second pivot.
      So I don't see Lucas as our primary distributor to the front 3 and that's without including Sakho who more often than not completely cuts out the midfield with his passing.

In my opinion Lucas has been dictating the play from the back not in terms of his great passing but when to pass forward or if it needs sideways.

So as a second pivot in midfield alongside Lucas I want someone who can take a ball in a tight space control it with one touch, dribble forward and obviously make a pass when it's on.
      Unfortunately I don't think Milner has that skill set.

I have been hugely sceptical of Can in midfield and I still am but I am giving him the benefit of doubt as he is young and his decision making is not going to be his strong point.

« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2015 11:02:15 pm by HScRed1 »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24: Nov 06, 2015 10:43:22 pm
      Fully agree Tex would do a job as a CM he certainly has the technical ability.

Even though I am not his biggest fan after last night and the way Klopp seems to be getting the best out the players Allen is more suited to playing alongside Lucas than Milner.

I think Allen is probably the obvious choice to bring in but he's not as nice to look at as Tex so my choice isn't necessarily for footballing reasons   :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #25: Nov 06, 2015 10:46:40 pm
      I think Allen is probably the obvious choice to bring in but he's not as nice to look at as Tex so my choice isn't necessarily for footballing reasons   :D

Can't argue there.  :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #26: Nov 06, 2015 10:51:11 pm
      Perhaps. I just feel we have enough creativity from our trio of attacking mids. A big part of our recent improvement has been down to our defensive solidity. I think playing Can next to Lucas has been a major factor in that.

See my post above mate but yes I agree on the defence. 

Although I'm not quite sure about Cans quality just yet, I also feel he's played his part well enough in recent games so unless we have someone who can do his job better, I'd leave well alone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #27: Nov 06, 2015 11:15:52 pm
      Mignolet

Clyne  Skrtel  Sakho  Moreno

Lucas  Can

Lallana  Firmino  Coutinho

Benteke
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #28: Nov 06, 2015 11:30:41 pm
      4-0. 2 in first half two in second. Standing ovation at the end.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #29: Nov 07, 2015 01:50:28 am
      Mignolet; Clyne,Sakho(C),Skrtel,Moreno; Can,Lucas; Ibe,Coutinho,Firmino; Benteke

I know Lucas is a booking away from missing the City game but it's a risk we need to take in playing him. We've struggled against Palace lately but that was under Rodgers so we can't think about that anymore we've got a new and better manager in charge now so let them worry about us and our plans instead of the other way around. 3-1 Benteke,Coutinho,Can; Gayle scoring against us because he always does.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #30: Nov 07, 2015 04:32:06 am
      They are setup to play on the counter. Were at home and won't be sitting back. Would love to see us just blow the bloody doors off.

Migs
      Clyne   Skrtel     Sakho    Moreno
                             Lucas
      Ibe      Firmino    Coutinho  Lallana
                            Benteke
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #31: Nov 07, 2015 07:20:38 am
      Mignolet

Lucas  Can

Benteke

This is what I'd put out against Palace, we are a different animal now under Klopp and I believe they will struggle with our high pressing we're gonna F**k you over football,
      We'll be solid defensively. Dominant in midfield and threatening going forward, 

They rely too much on Bolasie, Cabaye and that f***in pikie Gayle for their past  triumphs, but won't happen this time,

I think if we set our stall out properly which I think is a given these days it's perfectly reasonable to suggest we can hand out a proper f***in battering,

3-0 mighty Reds,  at least,  Benteke, Coutinho and Firmino bagging the Crown jewels,

The Klopp revolution continues

YNWA
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #32: Nov 07, 2015 12:43:10 pm
      Mignolet

Lucas  Can

Benteke
      I like most of that but I am not such a fan of Lucas, against Chelsea he almost gifted a goal away and could have been sent off. I know a lot of people see Milner as a more forward player but I think he could play alongside Can. Even when winning games it is a mistake not to act on things that could have gone against us if our luck was different.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #33: Nov 07, 2015 12:52:38 pm
      I like most of that but I am not such a fan of Lucas, against Chelsea he almost gifted a goal away and could have been sent off. I know a lot of people see Milner as a more forward player but I think he could play alongside Can. Even when winning games it is a mistake not to act on things that could have gone against us if our luck was different.

Are you crazy? Lucas is our most in form player! He is on fire and you want to drop him?!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #34: Nov 07, 2015 12:56:30 pm
      Think this as always will be tougher than expected. They often come at us late on and get something from the game.
      Now that tw*t Pardew saying that B.R. had us heading for 4th place, trying to play down the effect Klopp has had on the side, and the improvement we have made. If he thinks he's gonna face the same insipid side that he has previously, he's got a big surprise coming. Same players, collectively a different beast.
      Still be a tough game, they all are, but Pardews psychology effort is gonna have little effect.  We may tire a tad towards the end, but our defence is so more organised and positive now, I'm gonna go for 3 - 1 the red men !
      Nobody's perfect, and I don't expect we'll win every game to the end of the season. The wheels will fall off temporarily at some stage, thats for sure, I just don't think it will be tomorrow. C.O.Y.M.R.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #35: Nov 07, 2015 01:02:58 pm
      Are you crazy? Lucas is our most in form player! He is on fire and you want to drop him?!
      I hardly call Lucas in form. It is crazy to say he is our most in form player. Riding his luck on getting a red card and getting pick pocketed by Costa and almost costing us a goal is not on form, I would say Mignolet was on form after Lucas made that mistake. A player can do 50 things right in a game but if you're going to do one or two things wrong, they can't be as major as that and still class that player as in form. All this stuff happened shortly after Coutinho's first goal so go back and watch the Chelsea game if you don't know what I am on about.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #36: Nov 07, 2015 01:11:47 pm
      I hardly call Lucas in form. It is crazy to say he is our most in form player. Riding his luck on getting a red card and getting pick pocketed by Costa and almost costing us a goal is not on form, I would say Mignolet was on form after Lucas made that mistake. A player can do 50 things right in a game but if you're going to do one or two things wrong, they can't be as major as that and still class that player as in form. All this stuff happened shortly after Coutinho's first goal so go back and watch the Chelsea game if you don't know what I am on about.

Yes he rode his luck. But watch his positioning and passage of play in the last 6 games... He genuinely keeps the ball moving and offers superb protection to the back 4.

F***ing love him and first name on the team sheet for me.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #37: Nov 07, 2015 01:14:21 pm

Slagging off Lucas and kissing Hodgson's arse. You love to be different don't you :D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #38: Nov 07, 2015 01:18:19 pm

The manager unlike your goodself, is a fan of Lucas Leiva thankfully and his faith in the player has been shown to be justified with performances that have contributed to the side's improvement.
      There is a good chance you are talking out of your arse my friend.
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #39: Nov 07, 2015 01:22:00 pm
      They are setup to play on the counter. Were at home and won't be sitting back. Would love to see us just blow the bloody doors off.

Migs
      Clyne   Skrtel     Sakho    Moreno
                             Lucas
      Ibe      Firmino    Coutinho  Lallana
                            Benteke
      Better than having Can and Milner playing together at home...
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,213 posts | 915 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #40: Nov 07, 2015 01:24:49 pm
      We should be thanking our lucky stars that Lucas didn't leave in the summer, along with Sako player of the season so far

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #41: Nov 07, 2015 02:35:59 pm

Are you having a f***in giraffe mate, jeez, you must still be in Brendan mode, Oi, wake up sonny, we have a different manager don't you know,

Unless your Stevie Wonder, everyone to a man can see that under Jürgen Lucas arguably has been our most improved player, he was heading for the exit door had Brendan remained, he could have already have left, now look at him, I'd argue he's almost back to his best with the exception he may have lost some pace due to his injuries and age,

his contributions thus far have been as close to perfect as you can get, you talk of him as been a liability, but his performances has allowed the likes of Can, Milner, Lallana and especially Coutinho do what they do best, DDDWWW tells you all you need to know,

Milner alongside Can ?  Really, come on Riba, stop talking out of your Jobby Lobby !

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #42: Nov 07, 2015 02:47:33 pm
      another day to look forward to Liverpool playing its feels very much like the early days of Rafa lots of energy around the place.
      I really want us to win this one because of their manager is a right jumpe dup little pr**k and we owe them a hiding.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #43: Nov 07, 2015 03:09:18 pm

Are you having a f***in giraffe mate, jeez, you must still be in Brendan mode, Oi, wake up sonny, we have a different manager don't you know,

Unless your Stevie Wonder, everyone to a man can see that under Jürgen Lucas arguably has been our most improved player, he was heading for the exit door had Brendan remained, he could have already have left, now look at him, I'd argue he's almost back to his best with the exception he may have lost some pace due to his injuries and age,

his contributions thus far have been as close to perfect as you can get, you talk of him as been a liability, but his performances has allowed the likes of Can, Milner, Lallana and especially Coutinho do what they do best, DDDWWW tells you all you need to know,

Milner alongside Can ?  Really, come on Riba, stop talking out of your Jobby Lobby !

YNWA
      It depends on perspective. Lucas to me no matter how much he improves, unless he stops doing things that can cost in big games it could be a problem. It just so happened against Chelsea he got lucky on a couple of occasions. One time lucky to not be sent off and another time lucky after he was pickpocketed and mignolet made a brilliant save. At this level mistakes cost bigtime.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #44: Nov 07, 2015 03:29:19 pm
      It depends on perspective. Lucas to me no matter how much he improves, unless he stops doing things that can cost in big games it could be a problem. It just so happened against Chelsea he got lucky on a couple of occasions. One time lucky to not be sent off and another time lucky after he was pickpocketed and mignolet made a brilliant save. At this level mistakes cost bigtime.

Come on mate, I get Lucas may not be on your Xmas card list but to slate the bloke for making mistakes in big games is ridiculous, no one is perfect, most players make errors in big games, it's how you recover from those mistakes separates the great players from the not so great,

The incident in the Chelsea game where you say he should have seen red, if you look at it again Ramirez was already on his way down when contact was made, that's why the Ref Mark Clusterfuck kept the red in his pocket, the yellow against Mikel was harsh imo,

Like I said Lucas has been immense since Klopp took over, and long may it continue.

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #45: Nov 07, 2015 03:32:32 pm

Come on mate, I get Lucas may not be on your Xmas card list but to slate the bloke for making mistakes in big games is ridiculous, no one is perfect, most players make errors in big games, it's how you recover from those mistakes separates the great players from the not so great,

The incident in the Chelsea game where you say he should have seen red, if you look at it again Ramirez was already on his way down when contact was made, that's why the Ref Mark Clusterfuck kept the red in his pocket, the yellow against Mikel was harsh imo,

Like I said Lucas has been immense since Klopp took over, and long may it continue.

YNWA

count to ten mate take a deepth breath and move on.

Quick Reply