Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Player Improvements

Read 1889 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Player Improvements
      Nov 24, 2015 07:33:03 pm
      I know we have individual player threads but I thought it might be good to discuss the improvements/changes we've seen in them since Jürgen arrived but in one thread.  I'm not just talking about their technical ability, as I think most were pretty good anyway it's more their understanding of their job and where/how they fit in, their fitness levels and understanding and following the tactics employed.

There was some discussion when he arrived on who we thought would thrive in his system and also those who might struggle but I don't think we discussed in depth who he could or couldn't improve.  Maybe we didn't consider his coaching ability, his tactical astuteness but rather just what we had witnessed when watching Dortmund play, which makes sense as why would any of us have an in depth knowledge of another teams Manager?

These are my thoughts on those involved recently.

I think the obvious one was Milner who we all thought had the engine and pressing awareness to fit in and he has, however I've noticed he sometimes looks a bit "lost" with the tactics.

Many think Migs can be improved upon as his distribution, commanding his area and for some, his shot stopping aren't good enough.  I probably agree but I'm not writing anyone off just yet and it may be that a better GK Coach is what's needed rather than trying to find another keeper.

Sakho, despite being a fans favourite already, has shown how much more there is to come from him.  He's come out of his shadow, asserted himself on the defense and the midfield and is a true leader at the back.  He used to ping some beauty balls into midfield but it seems he's become our de facto deep lying playmaker  :D

Lucas, who so many love to disregard, has blossomed almost back to his 2011 peak.  He's bossing our midfield again, he's become Jurgens General on the pitch and marshalling the troops when needed.  He always had it in him but some didn't think he'd ever get back to those levels and he's looking much fitter, stamina wise.

Skrtel for me has been the biggest surprise, not because I didn't think he was good enough I just didn't think he'd be able to go against all his natural instincts and become a high line, front foot defender.  Just goes to show if you're a good player, you can adapt to any system.

Lovren seems more "settled" too.  I'm not sure he'll ever be good enough to oust Sakho but he has a role to play and shown he's upto it.

Moreno, bless him, he might not be the best defender in the world but Jesus, can he move.  I've seen enough improvement and less "confusion" in him to think he'll just get better and better the more coaching he gets.

Clyne is just Clyne, he's the type of player that will nearly always guarantee you at least a 7/10 performance and defensively that's massive.  Will he develop his attacking game under Jürgen?  Probably but for now that solid right hand side is doing just fine.

Can is still learning his trade and sometimes it shows but he's really only had a handful of games in midfield and consistency is always a problem with such young players, even with plenty of elite level minutes.  Saturday showed though that he's getting there.

Coutinho, what can you say about 'lil Phil?  Well he's not so little now, he's grown into a robust 'lil f**ker and he's even more tenacious now somehow.  The last couple of games he's started going past the last man, almost playing on their shoulder but forever moving.  He's always played beautiful through balls but now he's following them in ready to pounce if there's a 1-2 on or a rebound off a shot.

Firmino showed on Saturday how good he can be and what his game's all about, I can see things getting quite "dirty" when he and Phil are feeding Studge  ;D

Lallana what a beautiful, agile, graceful machine he is and where have those stamina levels come from?  This is what I expected from him when he arrived and now he's been let out of his cage he's found his style again. 

Ibe looks a different player already.  He's gone back to playing how he did at the Academy but with his head up, one of things that really bothered me as he didn't seem to be doing that even after so much top level experience. 

Now before anyone starts on the negative - they need binning type comments, this discussion is about any improvements or changes to each players game not who is or who isn't good enough  :gt-happyup:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Player Improvements
      Reply #1: Nov 24, 2015 07:47:49 pm
      For me simplistically Jürgen seems to have just told the players to concentrate on the things they are good at rather than trying to improve too much the things they aren't so good at. The effect has been that players are playing their natural game and showing just how good they can be.

Yes they are running further and also sprinting more, but the main change imo has been we are seeing more confident players concentrating on what they do best and doing it more often, rather than worrying about the flaws in their game.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Nov 24, 2015 08:00:10 pm
      For me simplistically Jürgen seems to have just told the players to concentrate on the things they are good at rather than trying to improve too much the things they aren't so good at. The effect has been that players are playing their natural game and showing just how good they can be.

Yes they are running further and also sprinting more, but the main change imo has been we are seeing more confident players concentrating on what they do best and doing it more often, rather than worrying about the flaws in their game.

square pegs in square hole is a great way to see what the lads can do and so far they are doing well. Cant wait to see who else is going to surprise us I really think Henderson will flourish as will Sturridge.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #3: Nov 24, 2015 08:11:30 pm
      Lucas - hardly surprising to see him undergo improvement - just as with Moreno there were clearly personal problems and I'd imagine Brendan trying to sell Lucas every transfer window didn't give the player much security!

Lallana looks, as someone described, like our new Dirk Kuyt.  Can benefitting from being played in a more correct position.

Coutinho and Firmino have seen big improvements.  In Firmino's case he's finally got over that injury and maybe he just needed a few months to settle - Coutinho looks much improved though under Klopp - not sure what it is but I think he looks better in 2 v 2 situations that we are now getting in to by winning the ball back high up.

Previously when he had the ball he was faced with two rows of four to get through.

Don't hold out much hope for Mignolet - even with the world's greatest goalkeeping coach.

Also early days for Lovren back in the side but yeah - decent in the last two games or so. 

The other player you mentioned Ibe - well he had hardly been playing.  He looks a real confidence player and Klopp seems to be the type of guy to give him the 'IBEEEYY' love.

I said it at the final whistle after Spurs that in hindsight, how long ago did the players stop playing for Brendan.  Because he had clearly lost a large part of the dressing room, certainly on the pitch.

I think the players probably realise that they are now working for a top level manager and that if they can't do it under him then they maybe can't stay at the highest level in football?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #4: Nov 24, 2015 11:14:42 pm
      Lucas - hardly surprising to see him undergo improvement - just as with Moreno there were clearly personal problems and I'd imagine Brendan trying to sell Lucas every transfer window didn't give the player much security!

Lallana looks, as someone described, like our new Dirk Kuyt.  Can benefitting from being played in a more correct position.

Coutinho and Firmino have seen big improvements.  In Firmino's case he's finally got over that injury and maybe he just needed a few months to settle - Coutinho looks much improved though under Klopp - not sure what it is but I think he looks better in 2 v 2 situations that we are now getting in to by winning the ball back high up.

Previously when he had the ball he was faced with two rows of four to get through.

Don't hold out much hope for Mignolet - even with the world's greatest goalkeeping coach.

Also early days for Lovren back in the side but yeah - decent in the last two games or so. 

The other player you mentioned Ibe - well he had hardly been playing.  He looks a real confidence player and Klopp seems to be the type of guy to give him the 'IBEEEYY' love.

I said it at the final whistle after Spurs that in hindsight, how long ago did the players stop playing for Brendan.  Because he had clearly lost a large part of the dressing room, certainly on the pitch.

I think the players probably realise that they are now working for a top level manager and that if they can't do it under him then they maybe can't stay at the highest level in football?

I was ready to post pages of script, but this says it all really, so i'll save my energy.  ;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Nov 25, 2015 08:19:25 am
      I think the problem with the players when Rodgers was the boss they knew they only had to go through the motions. They were lethargic and appeared not to care and this was rife through the whole squad.
       With Jürgen Klopp the players know they either perform or they can say by  bye  to Anfield and L.F.C. and that is how it should be.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: Nov 25, 2015 05:01:46 pm

For me, it wasn't a case of Rodgers losing the players, the problem was more in Rodgers being an average manager. Just to name a few problems, his mentality transcended into our team, his tactics were baffling at times and he struggled to organise our team to play to his philosophy.. but what philosophy did he have? :S

Obviously, every player has upped their game and improved since Klopp arrived, but why? Is it simply because the players are playing to keep their place in the team/squad? I don't think so, it's more to do with having a structure, organsation and players playing to their strengths. Then you add Klopp's personality into this and now we go into each game with the right mentality with a purpose/intent. We simply have identity now, but also, a world class manager. Just goes to show that this squad we have isn't average as some suggested.

The most improved player for me is Lallana, and partly the reason why our pressing game is so good. Usually, there is one or two key players that sets the tone for the style of football a team plays, and I feel Lallana has not only been pivotal to this, but he thrives playing his natural game.
      « Last Edit: Nov 25, 2015 05:12:39 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #7: Nov 25, 2015 11:32:14 pm
      Good post but I disagree on Migs. I want him shown the door as soon as possible. The guy is a liability and if we have aspirations of glory again, we need a world class keeper. Look at our competitors - City, Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Spurs, they all have World Class goal keepers. What do we have? Crusty the clown between the posts. He needs to go.

Quick Reply