Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Black Friday

Read 3928 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Black Friday
      Nov 27, 2015 11:21:21 am
      Apparently less people going to the stores this year and more online shopping being done.

Any of you lot bother with Black Friday?

I'm more talking about queuing up at a shop before it opens to get a discount as I just couldn't see me doing that and I like a discount as much as anyone.

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2015 01:08:58 pm by JD »
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Re: Black Friday.
      Reply #1: Nov 27, 2015 03:18:18 pm
      Black Friday = selling stuff they can't get rid of all year ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Nov 27, 2015 03:28:18 pm
      Absolutely detest shopping especially at busy times.  Wouldn't catch me queuing for anything I have to pay for and have left trolleys full at the checkouts if it takes longer than 5 minutes.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #3: Nov 27, 2015 03:30:53 pm
      I hear that debs ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4: Nov 27, 2015 03:31:26 pm
      Only if you want to buy tat.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5: Nov 27, 2015 03:45:07 pm
      Absolutely detest shopping especially at busy times.  Wouldn't catch me queuing for anything I have to pay for and have left trolleys full at the checkouts if it takes longer than 5 minutes.

;D

It's disgusting when you see scenes of people in a stampede to buy stuff for a few quid less Debs.

Been very calm in the UK this year by all accounts but have seen a few clips from the US with people mauling each other to but stuff.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #6: Nov 27, 2015 04:03:04 pm
      Why is it "Black" Friday?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #7: Nov 27, 2015 04:04:41 pm

I read the other day its because it gets retailers into the 'black' from the 'red' in financial terms.

No idea if that's true or not.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #8: Nov 27, 2015 04:16:28 pm

It's been black November here mate with this God awful weather. No sun for a month!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #9: Nov 27, 2015 04:17:01 pm
      I read the other day its because it gets retailers into the 'black' from the 'red' in financial terms.

No idea if that's true or not.

I've just checked it myself, lazy git that I am.

This came up, but so did your explanation, I think yours is probably the most likely.

Black Friday is the name given to the shopping day after Thanksgiving. It was originally called Black Friday because so many people went out to shop that it caused traffic accidents and sometimes even violence.

The name was first recorded in 1966 by Earl Apfelbaum, a dealer in rare stamps. In his ad, he said, "'Black Friday' is the name that the Philadelphia Police Department gave to the Friday following Thanksgiving Day.

It is not a term of endearment for them. 'Black Friday' officially opens the Christmas shopping season in center city, and it usually brings massive traffic jams and over-crowded sidewalks as the downtown stores are mobbed from opening to closing."

The Police Department coined the phrase to describe the mayhem surrounding the congestion of pedestrian and auto traffic in the Center City downtown area. (Source: The Chicago Tribune, "Black Friday - Why and When?)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10: Nov 29, 2015 01:08:51 pm
      Definitely less chaos on the TV's last year. 

I'd like to think this was down to people being embarrased about those videos last year but it's probably more down to the fact that supermarkets decided the publicity wasn't good and didn't do as many deals.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Re: Black Friday
      Reply #11: Nov 29, 2015 01:43:03 pm
      I went Black Friday shopping with my mum. It has been a tradition that Mum and I go out do some shopping, get Starbucks and breakfast. Then did more shopping.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #12: Nov 21, 2016 09:28:34 pm
      It's back this Friday, but as usual, it's not just for Friday now, in some places it lasts a good few days, or as we have know it, a sale.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #13: Nov 21, 2016 09:57:32 pm
      It's mental that the brits have been suckered into this,you gonna celebrate thanksgiving soon.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Nov 21, 2016 10:02:00 pm
      It's mental that the brits have been suckered into this,you gonna celebrate thanksgiving soon.

Tell me about it. It's absolutely vulgar.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #15: Nov 21, 2016 10:16:13 pm

It's because most of our large stores and Internet shops are owned/influenced by the US, won't last for long though with Britex..... Oh wait.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Dec 22, 2016 07:41:08 pm
      Bought a mattress on Black Friday. Whatever about the hype, we needed one, and it was 40% off. Was about 19 years since we got the last one, so we couldn't turn it anymore that made a difference.

Didn't spend enough time checking in advance and bought a memory foam mattress, was about twice as thick as the old one, a serious piece of machinery. Couldn't be turned, apart from end to end. Came two weeks later. The missus slept like a baby from day1. But I got a 'chemical' stink of it that she didn't get, and couldn't sleep on it. Had painted the room the previous week, so am not super sensitive, this just seemed to click with me in a bad way. Tried for few nights, but slept downstairs on the sofa cushions for best part of 2 weeks since.

Eventually though the actually store agreed to swap the mattress for another in store, didn't think they would tbh. Got a standard latex one. Sooo f**king glad to be rid of that other stinkpile, sleeping in the bedroom again (though was getting dangerous fond of the piece and quiet downstairs :) )   had already tried to get it sold online.

Anyway, moral of the story, think before buying a mattress, and seriously think about memory foam. They're damn warm too.

Quick Reply