Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Pre Match: Southampton v Liverpool League Cup Quarter Final Wed 2nd Dec 19:45KO

Read 7775 times
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 306 posts | 43 
      Pre Match: Southampton v Liverpool League Cup Quarter Final Wed 2nd Dec 19:45KO
      Nov 30, 2015 10:24:31 am
      We travel down to Southampton on Wednesday and are a win away from a 2 legged tie in the Semi-Finals.

The strength of our squad is getting better every week and I think Klopp's got some big decisions to make, as he will want to go as strong as possible here, with a few small changed possible.

I think Hendo will want to start, but Sturridge should stay on the bench and come on like he did against Swansea:

Bogdan

Clyne
      Skrtel
      Lovren
      Moreno

Henderson (c)
      Lucas
      Emre Can

Coutinho
      Lallana

Benteke

Subs: Mignolet; Toure, Enrique; Milner, Allen; Ibe; Sturridge.

I expect Bogdan will come in for Mignolet, he's been good in our Cup games this year and deserves another game.

I wouldn't expect Randall or Toure to start this one, the back four are gelling well together. Enrique has been training but I doubt he will make the squad, let alone start the game. I quite like Enrique, so I wouldn't mind seeing him play some part.

In midfield, it's hard to take Milner out, but I think Hendo could start with Lucas coming back in after suspension, and Emre Can taking his usual position.

Hopefully Coutinho is fit enough to return, I expect him and Lallana to start behind Benteke.

I think this side will be enough to win this game, especially with Milner and Sturridge to bring off the bench.

0-2 to us! YNWA!

** One last note, me and my partner are going for the first scan on our baby tomorrow morning, so that's the reason why i've started the thread a day early!
      « Last Edit: Nov 30, 2015 12:27:24 pm by JD, Reason: Semi Finals not at Wembley bud! »
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Southampton v Liverpool C.O.C Quarter Final Weds 2nd Dec 19:45KO
      Reply #1: Nov 30, 2015 11:31:10 am
      Hard to drop Milner after that performance. Nothing flashy but did the job. If he is fit, would definitely start him. Lucas and Coutinho are back, that's a big plus. I would probably drop Benteke. Nothing wrong with the big man but the rhythm we had yesterday wasnt the same that we have with the Brazilians and Lallana.

Mignolet
      Clyne-Skrtel-Lovren-Moreno
      Lucas-Can
      Milner-Coutinho-Lallana
      Firmino

Subs- Bogdan, Kolo, Randall, Hendo, Allen, Studge, Benteke
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Southampton v Liverpool C.O.C Quarter Final Weds 2nd Dec 19:45KO
      Reply #2: Nov 30, 2015 11:33:57 am
      You have been a busy boy Olly  :)

All the best for tomorrow.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Re: Pre Match: Southampton v Liverpool League Cup Quarter Final Wed 2nd Dec 19:45KO
      Reply #3: Nov 30, 2015 12:34:32 pm
      Stoke
      Sheffield Wednesday
      Everton
      Hull
      Middlesbrough
      Man City
      Southampton

This is a genuine chance for us to get back to our first final in 4 years and for the manager to get a trophy in his first (not even full) season.

This is the most important game of the week ahead for me and I'd be picking our strongest team because Southampton are a decent side.  I wouldn't even remotely be considering 'resting' anybody.

If we could only win one football match in December I'd be picking this one.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,011 posts | 2735 
      Re: Pre Match: Southampton v Liverpool League Cup Quarter Final Wed 2nd Dec 19:45KO
      Reply #4: Nov 30, 2015 01:32:20 pm
      Same team against City please. It's a cup quarter final, Southampton will come out to play and Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana should be able to do the job for us here.

Another half an hour for Hendo and Sturridge to get them fit for Newcastle at the weekend as well would be nice.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Nov 30, 2015 02:37:26 pm
      I expect a strong team again for this one, Jürgen doesn't do "weakened" teams (check out the Sergi Canos interview in his player thread).

Doubt we'll see Cou start but he'll probably get some minutes, same with Hendo and Studge.  We have no need now to throw players back into the starting 11 immediately they start training after an injury and I like the fact that Jürgen prefers to ease them back in too.  It shows confidence in the team without our "best" players.

As others have said, we're away and they'll want to win it so they're less likely to camp inside their own penalty area, which helps us to play our way.

I've gone for a confident 2-1 win to the Mighty Reds.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #6: Nov 30, 2015 02:56:32 pm
      Looking forward to this and confident about our chances. Like most are saying, I'd go strong here. No reason not to really.

Bogdan

Clyne
      Skrtel
      Lovren
      Moreno

Lucas
      Can

Ibe
      Henderson (off after an hour)
      Firmino

Benteke

Subs: Mignolet, Toure, Enrique, Allen, Milner, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Phil and Dan both on around the hour mark for some vital match fitness ahead of the trip to the North East at the weekend.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #7: Nov 30, 2015 07:52:43 pm
      Chats, I think if that happens, we could be looking at a 0:3 score.
      Saints will want to play, and if it's an open game as city was, we will dominate 80 % of the game.  Not an easy game, but the hard graft will prevail.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #8: Nov 30, 2015 11:45:55 pm
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Dec 01, 2015 12:08:33 am
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Dec 01, 2015 12:47:52 am
      Good, will be an upgrade without doubt.

Finally got your wish mate :D
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #11: Dec 01, 2015 01:30:28 am
      We travel down to Southampton on Wednesday and are a win away from a 2 legged tie in the Semi-Finals.

The strength of our squad is getting better every week and I think Klopp's got some big decisions to make, as he will want to go as strong as possible here, with a few small changed possible.

I think Hendo will want to start, but Sturridge should stay on the bench and come on like he did against Swansea:

Bogdan

Clyne
      Skrtel
      Lovren
      Moreno

Henderson (c)
      Lucas
      Emre Can

Coutinho
      Lallana

Benteke

Subs: Mignolet; Toure, Enrique; Milner, Allen; Ibe; Sturridge.

I expect Bogdan will come in for Mignolet, he's been good in our Cup games this year and deserves another game.

I wouldn't expect Randall or Toure to start this one, the back four are gelling well together. Enrique has been training but I doubt he will make the squad, let alone start the game. I quite like Enrique, so I wouldn't mind seeing him play some part.

In midfield, it's hard to take Milner out, but I think Hendo could start with Lucas coming back in after suspension, and Emre Can taking his usual position.

Hopefully Coutinho is fit enough to return, I expect him and Lallana to start behind Benteke.

I think this side will be enough to win this game, especially with Milner and Sturridge to bring off the bench.

0-2 to us! YNWA!

** One last note, me and my partner are going for the first scan on our baby tomorrow morning, so that's the reason why i've started the thread a day early!

nick a win here and the semi is on!!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12: Dec 01, 2015 02:10:18 am
      Just been reading Charlie Nicholas' prediction for the League Cup games, this is what he said about ours (posted for humorous content):

Well this one really is the pick of the draw. Southampton have been a bit disappointing, yes, but they didn't play badly at Manchester City according to Merse. They missed Graziano Pelle and will have him back against Liverpool. Ronald Koeman will be another one thinking why can't we have a go at winning this? They may not have the depth of some teams but they have a very good side.

Then we have the resurgence under Jürgen Klopp and everyone going crazy because they're up to sixth in the Premier League. It was another grind at home against Swansea and they'll probably prefer being able to play on the counter-attack again here. Koeman will say 'we're at home, we'll play our game' and I think they'll win this one.

Charlie predicts: 3-1 with Pelle to score first (66/1 with Sky Bet)

Somebody seems upset that his team got dicked whilst we managed to win ugly :D The last time we conceded 3 by the way was against Man United back in September and that's after all those ridiculous away games we've had. It's funny that he thinks Southampton will win 3-1 just because Pelle is back and because Koeman will say "we're at home".
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #13: Dec 01, 2015 03:47:33 am
      I don't see Jürgen going for a weakened team especially as being away from home will really suit our playing style. After seeing JD posting the teams that are still in the cup there's no reason why we can't go on and win this competition. Southampton will obviously be up for this one but that will suit us perfectly. I'd have Henderson and Sturridge both come off the bench. Would also like to see Tex maybe get some game time.

Bogdan; Clyne,Skrtel,Lovren,Moreno; Can,Lucas; Milner,Coutinho,Lallana; Firmino
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #14: Dec 01, 2015 06:10:06 am
      I don't see Jürgen going for a weakened team especially as being away from home will really suit our playing style. After seeing JD posting the teams that are still in the cup there's no reason why we can't go on and win this competition. Southampton will obviously be up for this one but that will suit us perfectly. I'd have Henderson and Sturridge both come off the bench. Would also like to see Tex maybe get some game time.

Bogdan; Clyne,Skrtel,Lovren,Moreno; Can,Lucas; Milner,Coutinho,Lallana; Firmino

Clyne & Moreno really need some rest. Unfortunately, we've got no suitable replacement ATM.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,141 posts | 1619 
      Reply #15: Dec 01, 2015 07:32:06 am
      Just been reading Charlie Nicholas' prediction for the League Cup games, this is what he said about ours (posted for humorous content):

Well this one really is the pick of the draw. Southampton have been a bit disappointing, yes, but they didn't play badly at Manchester City according to Merse. They missed Graziano Pelle and will have him back against Liverpool. Ronald Koeman will be another one thinking why can't we have a go at winning this? They may not have the depth of some teams but they have a very good side.

Then we have the resurgence under Jürgen Klopp and everyone going crazy because they're up to sixth in the Premier League. It was another grind at home against Swansea and they'll probably prefer being able to play on the counter-attack again here. Koeman will say 'we're at home, we'll play our game' and I think they'll win this one.

Charlie predicts: 3-1 with Pelle to score first (66/1 with Sky Bet)

Somebody seems upset that his team got dicked whilst we managed to win ugly :D The last time we conceded 3 by the way was against Man United back in September and that's after all those ridiculous away games we've had. It's funny that he thinks Southampton will win 3-1 just because Pelle is back and because Koeman will say "we're at home".

Charlie Nicholas is a dickhead, the fact he wears a diamond ear-ring says it all. w**ker!!

Good opportunity this to take a step closer to the final; think Jürgen will be putting a strong team out!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: Dec 01, 2015 07:40:55 am
      Just keep that Jürgen-naut rolling, let's progress in this cup as well. Winning is infectious so put out our strongest team.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Dec 01, 2015 10:36:13 am
      Kenny knew how important a bit of silverware was and got us to the two finals.
      Never seen him with tears in his eyes till that game v City in the semi.

If the touchline techno had been about we would have got the second goal against the Chavs in the FA Cup. Could have been a cup double.

The last time we were near a Final was when Villa put us out of our misery before we would have had an embarassing global TV humiliation against the Arse.
      We got off lucky.

That as they say is history.

Could have that pot early in the New Year .   

Lets go for this .
      « Last Edit: Dec 01, 2015 11:47:06 am by eurored »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18: Dec 01, 2015 10:43:52 am
      The only players I'd like to see rested somehow are the full backs. They've definitely earned their wages this season.

Edit: And somebody in midfield so Tex can get some game time.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1464 
      Reply #19: Dec 01, 2015 10:50:44 am
      Good, will be an upgrade without doubt.
      I'm so grateful to the TC. :lmao:
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #20: Dec 01, 2015 11:25:17 am
      I would certainly like to see Tex start. In that game (yes, singular - I think) he made the goal. He is certainly a very good footballer so I am not sure why he is not getting few minutes here & there.

Time to see what he can do for our forwards.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Dec 01, 2015 11:45:58 am
      nick a win here and the semi is on!!

Nick a win and I'll have a semi on, beat them in the return at Anfield and I'll be fully erect :D
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #22: Dec 01, 2015 01:14:40 pm
      Working late tomorrow so will miss the game, hate weekday games  :f_wah:

I'll go for 2-0 to us.

Quick Reply