Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Germany calling: Europa League Knockout Draw

Read 7790 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Germany calling: Europa League Knockout Draw
      Reply #46: Dec 14, 2015 07:51:44 pm
      A team from Germany is likely to be a tough game, their league is of a very high standard.

We're mid-table in our own league - a league many of us have suggested isn't all that good at the minute.  I don't think we can consider any games in the Europa League a walkover.

I saw we were 4th favourites with the bookies which looks a bit optimistic at this stage.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #47: Dec 14, 2015 08:05:08 pm
      We're mid-table in our own league - a league many of us have suggested isn't all that good at the minute.  I don't think we can consider any games in the Europa League a walkover.

I saw we were 4th favourites with the bookies which looks a bit optimistic at this stage.

If I remember correctly, we were joint favourites this time last year, now that was optimistic!  :) Its definitely a competition we can win, but its a big ask as long as we are competing in all four comps, and with the injuries'  we are having to deal with this season. A few decent players brought in when the window opens,  would go a long way to improving our chances, but I think a semifinal is as far as well get
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #48: Dec 14, 2015 08:12:05 pm
      I seem to remember they had some good results last season just from glancing at the Bundesliga.

This season hasn't started well for them, although they have begun to turn it around in the league (last 4: 3 wins, 1 draw) and they also have the joint top scorer in the EL (Bobadilla).

We should be going all out to win this.

As a competition for all that it doesn't represent the very best in Europe, it still has a lot of history and some potentially great ties lie ahead of us if we can get through.

Those occasions are what being a supporter is all about and just imagine what a first European final would be like under Jürgen...yes please  :)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #49: Dec 14, 2015 11:45:40 pm
      People seem to be making this draw sound easier than it is. We are a run of the mill league team at the moment in a huge transition phase. Teams aren't afraid to play us at the moment so they will come at us and although they are struggling in the league, they have nothing to lose against us, they are the so called under dogs and we are the ones who will be under pressure and expected to get the win. Worst thing we can do is go into this tie and expect it to be a walkover. We play like we did in the group stage then I wouldn't bank on us getting past this round.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #50: Dec 16, 2015 09:10:54 pm
      I would love to win this trophy tbh. Not the most glamorous trophy to win, but a lot of hard work needed, to overcome the more elite sides left in the competition. Plus the obvious reward of a place in next year's Champion's League.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #51: Dec 16, 2015 09:41:00 pm
      I would love to win this trophy tbh. Not the most glamorous trophy to win, but a lot of hard work needed, to overcome the more elite sides left in the competition. Plus the obvious reward of a place in next year's Champion's League.

It would be even sweeter David if we won the Europa Cup and the Mancs finished 4th in the PL :)

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #52: Dec 17, 2015 01:45:46 pm
      Only just seen the fixture dates for this.  18th Feb away and then the 25th second leg at Anfield.

At SIX pm.

I honestly thought all that 6pm bollocks was over after the group stage. 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #53: Dec 17, 2015 06:34:58 pm
      Only just seen the fixture dates for this.  18th Feb away and then the 25th second leg at Anfield.

At SIX pm.

With there being so many fixtures on one night and the amount of games that BT Sport want to show I think it was inevitable that there would still be 6pm games.

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #54: Dec 17, 2015 07:03:40 pm
      Phew,first leg in february,long time till then.
      I hope that Klopp and players will take EL and Augsburgh seriously and that we would not get complacent on the day of the game.
      It would be nice if we could reach at least till semi finals of the EL.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #55: Dec 24, 2015 08:43:16 pm
      Quote from JD

At SIX pm.

The third round is the end of the 6pm UK time games. From the quarter finals on, they are 8pm kos, while the final has 7.45pm.

English teams are the only ones in Europe that don't play group games at home at 6pm. Despite the same timezone, teams from Ireland, Scotland, and Portugal can still play them at 6pm. Celtic, Braga, and Shamrock Rovers are three such sides who have played home group games then.

We have played one home knockout round game at home at 6pm before, Kenny's first European home game against Sparta Prague in 2011, which we won 1-0 on the night, and on aggregate.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #56: Dec 24, 2015 09:05:30 pm
      The third round is the end of the 6pm UK time games. From the quarter finals on, they are 8pm kos, while the final has 7.45pm.

English teams are the only ones in Europe that don't play group games at home at 6pm. Despite the same timezone, teams from Ireland, Scotland, and Portugal can still play them at 6pm. Celtic, Braga, and Shamrock Rovers are three such sides who have played home group games then.

We have played one home knockout round game at home at 6pm before, Kenny's first European home game against Sparta Prague in 2011, which we won 1-0 on the night, and on aggregate.

Thanks for the concise info.   Did we play Hearts in the Europa League at 6pm or have I just had some massive brainfart?
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #57: Dec 24, 2015 10:31:44 pm
      so many 50/50 ties there too hard to call...

only see fenerbache sevilla valencia utd and possibly us through
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #58: Dec 28, 2015 08:54:20 am
      Quote from JD
      Thanks for the concise info.   Did we play Hearts in the Europa League at 6pm or have I just had some massive brainfart?

Both games against them were qualifiers, with no ko restrictions. Therefore, both games were played at normal times. A late Suarez goal at home saw us win 2-1 on aggregate.
      Rudiboy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #59: Feb 11, 2016 07:30:53 pm
      Hi fellow Reds,

I live in Munich and don't qualify for tickets but my husband and I are going along for the banter anyway. Where are the Liverpool fans meeting on the day of game for drinks and a sing song?
      YNWA  :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #60: Feb 11, 2016 08:09:09 pm
      At least Klopp will know plenty about them.

Exactamundo   H
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #61: Feb 12, 2016 08:21:50 am
      ffs. Im at a gig next Thursday, gonna miss the 1st leg, and my daughters footi training is 6-8 on Thursdays as well, so will have to watch 2nd leg on my phone. ;D
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #62: Feb 12, 2016 03:22:13 pm
      It would be even sweeter David if we won the Europa Cup and the Mancs finished 4th in the PL :)

No it wouldn't be sweeter. Us winning the Europa League wouldn't knock them out of the Champions League there'd just be 5 teams from England which means the Champions League TV money would be split 5 ways. Why that lot is even being mentioned is beyond me that's Redcafe behaviour.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #63: Feb 12, 2016 03:28:58 pm
      No it wouldn't be sweeter. Us winning the Europa League wouldn't knock them out of the Champions League there'd just be 5 teams from England which means the Champions League TV money would be split 5 ways. Why that lot is even being mentioned is beyond me that's Redcafe behaviour.

You sure about that mate? I was under the impression England had only four places! If that was the case the 4th place team would drop down to the EL.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #64: Feb 12, 2016 04:27:53 pm
      You sure about that mate? I was under the impression England had only four places! If that was the case the 4th place team would drop down to the EL.

I think he has his facts wrong mate.

In fact with the coefficient points English clubs are in danger of losing the 4th spot so winning the Europa league is even more important.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #65: Feb 12, 2016 04:44:54 pm

Yep he's right mate.  Spain have had 5 teams this season.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #66: Feb 12, 2016 04:56:18 pm
      Yep he's right mate.  Spain have had 5 teams this season.

But as HSc said England is in danger of losing a Cl place due to the coefficient rankings!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #67: Feb 13, 2016 04:59:50 pm
      England will keep it's 4 ECQ spots and if necessary, the winner of the UEFA Cup, for European Cup football next season.

It's only if Chelsea win the European Cup this year, where 4th place in the league would lose out.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #68: Feb 13, 2016 05:37:03 pm
      If we win the EL and Chelsea win the CL and UTD scramble to 4th it would be a happy day on two counts.
      Our form would need to improve massively to win it however a fit Daniel is good enough to carry us through

Quick Reply