Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Which players are actually good enough for LFC

Read 16637 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Which players are actually good enough for LFC
      Dec 22, 2015 01:04:12 pm
      Simple question. Which of the current squad are good enough?Which are just squad players at best?, and which players are just not of a high enough standard to even be at our club?

In your opinion that is!
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Which players are actually good enough for LFC
      Reply #1: Dec 22, 2015 01:11:32 pm
      This is a 'how long is a piece of string' question to be honest.

But if we are talking for my idea of a successful Liverpool side, Champions League team and title contenders.

Based on ability now.

1. Henderson
      2. Sturridge
      3. Coutinho

This is our problem.

For me we have three players, one never plays, who are genuinely good enough at this moment in time.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Dec 22, 2015 01:15:07 pm
      I am not that convinced Couthino is as good as we  think he is. look at the little guy at Leicester and how well he has done.
      As far as players good enough ,good enough for what top four or winning the league because top four possible three or four and for winning the league one or two where has all the money gone
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,224 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Dec 22, 2015 01:20:27 pm
      Agree re Coutinho, fits and bursts is not how a great player operates

In answer to the op question I suppose id have no qualms with young lads like Ibe Origi etc learning there game in the squad

Players not good enough? I doubt theres 1 player in the squad who are not good enough to be here (goalkeepers aside) but the only ones who have the right mentality for me to keep them are Hendo, Can, Sakho and Lucas. Benteke id persist with as a squad player. And if Sturridge could keep fit then hes a huge talent. Not sure id care if the rest were binned off. Actually im not too sure id care if any of them were binned but those named I think are worth sticking with
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Dec 22, 2015 01:29:54 pm
      I can honestly say that there is not one stand out player in the whole squad.

29 players in.

£300 million pounds worth of sh*te actually.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5: Dec 22, 2015 01:39:45 pm
      Tricky question Orchard, good enough challenge and win the league?

Sakho (but still has to prove he isn't injury prone)
      Coutinho
      Henderson
      Clyne

I think those are the players that we should look to build the team around. Sturridge would obviously be in there but for his injury problems.
                                                              -------------------------------
      Squad players, obviously some would rather move on than sit on the bench and that would be fine by me. 
      Mignolet
      Skrtel
      Moreno
      Milner
      Lovren
      Lucas
                                                            ------------------------------

Players that may come good

Ibe
      Ings
      Origi
      Gomez
      Can
                                                      ---------------------------------
      Players we should be looking to move on

Bogdan (I would prefer Mignolet to be our second choice keeper)
      Toure
      Allen
      Benteke
      Firmino
      Lallana
                                                            ------------------------------------
      Not seen enough of the kids to make any judgement.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #6: Dec 22, 2015 01:51:53 pm
      Simple question. Which of the current squad are good enough?Which are just squad players at best?, and which players are just not of a high enough standard to even be at our club?

In your opinion that is!

Good enough

Sturridge
      Coutinho
      Clyne

Squad

Sahko
      Ibe
      Milner
      Skertel
      Lucas
      Gomez
      Lallana
      Ings
      Henderson
      Can
      Flanno
      Moreno
      Skertel
      Origi
      Mignolet

Not good enough

Allen
      Lovren
      Benteke
      Kolo (sorry)
      Bogdan

Firminho - undecided.

We have way too many squad players making the first team IMO.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7: Dec 22, 2015 01:54:17 pm

I disagree about Henderson but wouldn't argue too much with the rest mate.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #8: Dec 22, 2015 01:55:37 pm
      I disagree about Henderson but wouldn't argue too much with the rest mate.

Henderson is way overrated mate.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Dec 22, 2015 02:02:55 pm
      Henderson is way overrated mate.

So's Coutinho, but I think they are both good enough to be in a title winning side. Henderson is never going to be "the next Gerrard " etc etc but he works hard, has a good range of passes and creates a few goals. On the downside he lacks a bit of bottle both infront of goal and when making a tackle but still good enough imo.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #10: Dec 22, 2015 02:14:49 pm
      Fair Nuff Saint. Respectfully disagree with Hendo, squad player in my book.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: Dec 22, 2015 02:15:20 pm
      I can honestly say that there is not one stand out player in the whole squad.

29 players in.

£300 million pounds worth of sh*te actually.

Just about sums it up mate. I can't remember a time when we didn't have at least one World class player or had so few genuinely top class players.

I do however believe if we brought a few top class players in that they would make the rest look and play much better, just as Keegan did in the 70's and Souness and Dalglish did in the 70/80's 

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #12: Dec 22, 2015 03:19:55 pm
      I'm surprised to see Clyne mentioned as good enough, he is solid but I'm not sure that's enough for a fullback at a top side now.

For modern title challenging team (not to mention European elite teams) you generally expect a lot more from one or both fullbacks then gets up and down and can defend. He doesn't really have much guile to his play near their area.

He's no Zabaleta, Cole, Evra, Kolarov etc

I suppose you could say Azpilicueta but we're not looking to play that way.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #13: Dec 22, 2015 03:35:51 pm
      For me:

Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Hendo, Lucas, Milner, Can, Coutinho, Lallana, Studge, and Benteke are all good enough to keep in the squad.  We just need to supplement that group with about 4 or 5 truly world class players. None of the aforementioned group can be relied on to put the team on their back and carry us to victory.  Those are the types we need a few of.  A summer where we get Pogba, Muller, Hummels, and Butland would see us as genuine title contenders again....
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #14: Dec 22, 2015 04:07:52 pm
      I wouldn't get rid of anyone as we still need a squad but some additions like Butland, Varane, Gundogan, Reus and Aubameyang as first choice starters and were sorted.

Not a huge ask?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #15: Dec 22, 2015 04:09:50 pm
      It's a hard one to answer is this, and it always will be. Pretty much ALL of our players if they played for Barcelona (I mean if only one of them did at a time , Moreno at left back OR Clyne at right back, Sakho centre half etc) are good enough to play in a top team. They proved it when we had Luis Suarez, suddenly everyone looked like a world-beater.

The problem is of course when you haven't got Luis Suarez anymore and you ain't Barcelona, how many of our players are big enough and good enough to stand up? We can all be Billy Big Bollocks when we've got a dozen of our mates backing us up and we ain't gonna get beat, it's the lads who even when they know they're outnumbered and they are going to get beat will still hold their hands up that have that special something.

How many of ours have that? And then how many are good enough to be able to translate that into something which makes a difference on a Premier League football pitch? I've got the will, but naturally all the will in the World doesn't matter a toss if you're not good enough to have a game changing impact on a football match at this level. Lucas has it but recently is in that category, Gerrard was slipping into it before the end. Then you've got a whole swathe of players who are ostensibly good, but need somebody else to create the platform for them to play on. If they ain't got the platform, they ain't gonna play (these are the likes of Lallana and Firmino).

So to cut a long story long, ALL of our players are good players, but NONE of them are the type that you'd want stood next to you either in a rumble or stood next to you if you're 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go.

The thing which disappoints me more than anything else is the lack of game awareness, lack of will to win. If Suarez had been playing for us against Watford he would have gone berserk when the first goal was given. It would have taken five minutes for the game to restart, he'd have been in tears, pleading with the ref to change his mind. Clattenberg wouldn't have changed his mind obviously, but it would well and truly have planted the seed that he may have made a mistake, a seed which Suarez would have sought to exploit later on. Like Can's dying swan act. You NEVER see a Suarez do that, UNLESS YOU'RE WINNING. Game intelligence, you can't buy it.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #16: Dec 22, 2015 04:31:52 pm
      Which of the current squad are good enough?

Sturridge, Coutinho, Sakho, Lucas, Clyne  are the only players we have who could play in a title winning side in my opinion. I do think Firmino, Markovic & Gomez will all come good and be big players for us in the future though. I've seen enough in them to confidently state that there they are very talented players and I trust Klopp to get the best out of them. That is obviously not confirmed though so I count 5 players in our team who are currently 'good enough'. 3 with the potential  to be.

Which are just squad players at best?

Pretty much most of our squad. Benteke, Ings, Henderson, Milner, Can, Ibe, Lallana, Skrtel, Moreno, Lovren, Flanno are all good enough to be in the squad but that's about it. They can do a job but they don't have anything special about them particularly. We need some of these players to fill in for us through the season but we have too many of them in our starting 11 and that's the problem.

which players are just not of a high enough standard to even be at our club?

Allen. Been here 3 seasons and he has done nothing apart from pass a ball sideways.
      Mignolet. Worst goalie in the league by far.
      Toure. Past his best about 9 seasons ago. Why he was kept on and Stevie wasn't is a mystery.
      Origi. Just don't think he has it in him to make it here.

Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #17: Dec 22, 2015 04:35:50 pm
      Good enough - all players which beat Man City 4:1.

Not good enough - all players which lost to Watford 0:3.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18: Dec 22, 2015 04:41:31 pm
      bit depressing really isn't it.No goalie, no defence ,no midfield and no attack apart from that we are sorted
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #19: Dec 22, 2015 05:49:28 pm
      I wouldn't get rid of anyone as we still need a squad but some additions like Butland, Varane, Gundogan, Reus and Aubameyang as first choice starters and were sorted.

Not a huge ask?

Pretty much how I see it.

I think the vast majority of the players we have are 'good enough' in their own way.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,210 posts | 1214 
      Reply #20: Dec 22, 2015 06:59:55 pm
      It's a hard one to answer is this, and it always will be. Pretty much ALL of our players if they played for Barcelona (I mean if only one of them did at a time , Moreno at left back OR Clyne at right back, Sakho centre half etc) are good enough to play in a top team. They proved it when we had Luis Suarez, suddenly everyone looked like a world-beater.

The problem is of course when you haven't got Luis Suarez anymore and you ain't Barcelona, how many of our players are big enough and good enough to stand up? We can all be Billy Big Bollocks when we've got a dozen of our mates backing us up and we ain't gonna get beat, it's the lads who even when they know they're outnumbered and they are going to get beat will still hold their hands up that have that special something.

How many of ours have that? And then how many are good enough to be able to translate that into something which makes a difference on a Premier League football pitch? I've got the will, but naturally all the will in the World doesn't matter a toss if you're not good enough to have a game changing impact on a football match at this level. Lucas has it but recently is in that category, Gerrard was slipping into it before the end. Then you've got a whole swathe of players who are ostensibly good, but need somebody else to create the platform for them to play on. If they ain't got the platform, they ain't gonna play (these are the likes of Lallana and Firmino).

So to cut a long story long, ALL of our players are good players, but NONE of them are the type that you'd want stood next to you either in a rumble or stood next to you if you're 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go.

The thing which disappoints me more than anything else is the lack of game awareness, lack of will to win. If Suarez had been playing for us against Watford he would have gone berserk when the first goal was given. It would have taken five minutes for the game to restart, he'd have been in tears, pleading with the ref to change his mind. Clattenberg wouldn't have changed his mind obviously, but it would well and truly have planted the seed that he may have made a mistake, a seed which Suarez would have sought to exploit later on. Like Can's dying swan act. You NEVER see a Suarez do that, UNLESS YOU'RE WINNING. Game intelligence, you can't buy it.

Excellent post mate. As you say, in one sense most of the players individually are good enough in one capacity or another, but put them all together and we clearly don't have the right balance of qualities -- and "leadership" qualities, encompassing all of the things you mention (game intelligence, will to win, resilience etc.) are a significant part of the deficit.

For many of the older generations this must be particularly obvious, but you really don't have to look too far back to see what we are missing (Suarez, Gerrard, Carragher, Alonso, Hyypia etc). Players with exceptional abilities but who really fought for the cause as well. Nobody wants to go to war with a bunch of pussies, unless they're on the opposing side.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: Dec 22, 2015 07:00:58 pm
      At their best, the majority of the squad, are at least squad quality, the problem (even with our best players) is the lack of consistency.

I was lucky to see the team of the late 80s, with Barnes, Beardsley, Rush, Hansen, Molby, McMahon, Aldo, Whelan, Nicol, ..... So if I was to take that as the bench mark for players good enough to play for Liverpool, then there wouldn't be Single player in the current squad rated as up to standard. Coutinho, if he was more consistent would come close, as would Sturridge if he played more often.

Obviously that would be an unfair comparison to make, so based on the how low our standard his slipped, Coutinho, Sturridge and Ings are good enough, Benteke, Hendo, Gomez,Milner, Clyne, Lucas, Can, Sakho, Skrtel, Ibe, Lallana, Origi,Lovren, Moreno are acceptable squad players, but can be improved on, Allen, Migs and Kolo can leave in Jan.

There are young lads like Tex, Branaghan, Rossiter etcetera that I haven't seen enough of to make a decision either way.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #22: Dec 22, 2015 07:10:21 pm
      Good God almighty some of you are clueless. Yes let's get rid of three quarters of the squad because they're 'not up to scratch'. F**k me.

The people that are taking up squad positions are:

* Mignolet
      * Enrique
      * Allen

The rest have shown they are quality players on a few occasions, have potential to be or have not really have a fair crack at the whip. Seeing people say names like Clyne, Henderson, Milner, Sakho and Lucas on the 'get rid' list or 'squad player' list makes me sick. Knee jerk thread has already been made, please take your bollocks to there with suggestions like that.

Quick Reply