Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Which players are actually good enough for LFC

Read 16634 times
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Re: Which players are actually good enough for LFC
      Reply #138: Feb 03, 2016 07:30:39 pm
      I would go for:

Sturridge (if he ever stays fit)
      Coutinho
      Firimno (there is a player, needs to show consistency)

High hopes to become good enough in the long term:
      Brannagan
      Smith

Others are either squad players or get rid of them.
      Have to agree unfortunately. Just wondering though if this question was addressed to someone like Rafa what the answer would be. Strange how times change AS mate.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #139: Feb 03, 2016 08:31:12 pm
      Ask yourself this how many players "Good" enough when we European Cup 2005   because 6 or 7 were not great players . What we did have was a spine Pepe, Carra , Stevie  and Did not even have a great Centre forward but quite a few winners who were prepared to go the hard yards and fight.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #140: Feb 03, 2016 11:57:39 pm

Michael Robinson and Paul Walsh included!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #141: Feb 04, 2016 02:07:03 am
      I wouldn't actually get rid of as many as most and I'm trying to be purely pragmatic in my approach to these exits.

Sell:

Bogdan
      Skrtel
      Ilori
      Wisdom
      Allen
      Benteke
      Balotelli

Release

Yesil
      Toure
      Sinclair

Allen has played great under Klopp so far and for where Liverpool are right now, I think he's a decent squad player, however someone has to be cut and Lucas is more versatile. Sakho has played fantastic up until his latest injury so I'm prepared to wait and see if he rediscovers his form. If not, add him to the list. With increasing rumours of Matip joining us in the Summer, a Centre back has to go. Skrtel, at 31, has the least time on his side. In fact, his time is up. Benteke has goals in him but we are simply not cut out to play to his strengths. Keeping him means Wingers next season, something I don't see as an immediate priority. I would prefer to spend the money on a proven goal scorer. As for the rest, they're either too old or simply not good enough.

So in my ideal situation, we're looking at ten players exiting, releasing £355,000 a week off the wage bill. I want to see that money  go towards a top goal scorer, a top goalkeeper and a top centre back. By 'top' I mean a proven goal scorer, a proven match winner and a proven leader respectively. I do not necessarily mean a 'big name'. The rest I want to see how they perform after a pre-season with Klopp. If we get Matip and that's already budgeted for, then you can throw in some pace in the midfield as a replacement for Milner because we have a chronic lack of it at the moment.

I don't want a lot of players in because I don't want to wait another season why the players attempt to adapt to life in a new league and a new country. For once, I'd like us to hit the ground running next season. All this side needs is a little bit of quality and as we saw two years ago, that can have a massive impact on the players around them.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #142: Feb 04, 2016 03:48:33 am
      Outgoings for me are dependent on how much we have to spend. If we have the usual £10-30m to spend, we can't afford to change everything and have to be pragmatic about who to sell and when to sell them.

If it's £100m+, as it should be with all things considered (it actually should be around £200m given our revenue stream and lack of recent net spend, but that's a different argument for a different thread), we can afford to be a bit more flexible with who we're selling.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #143: Feb 04, 2016 05:48:53 am
      I started to type a few names but I just kept on thinking which players are actually good enough for us. I kept on thinking. I am still thinking.

ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #144: Feb 04, 2016 06:27:17 am
      Every team, even title winning teams have some average players in the squad, so even though we have a squad filled with average players some of them will undoubtedly remain when Jürgen has built his own team.
      Coutinho, Sturridge and Firmino are good enough to be in Jürgen's long term plans, the rest should be sweating about their Liverpool careers.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #145: Feb 04, 2016 10:43:51 am
      The Squad is different from team so I think there is a lot more to consider. Also there are guys on loan I’d personally like to see get a (or in some cases another) chance. I have included the kids in the list, as well as taken in to consideration possible sell on value when I made these choices:

Clyne – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Milner – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Coutinho – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Firmino – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Henderson – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Sturridge – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Can – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Allen – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Ings – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Ibe - KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Flanagan - KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER

Origi – KEEP – GOOD SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Rossiter - KEEP – GOOD SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Moreno - KEEP – GOOD STANDARD SQUAD PLAYER
      Lallana – KEEP – GOOD STANDARD SQUAD PLAYER
      Lucas – KEEP – GOOD STANDARD SQUAD PLAYER
      Gomez - KEEP – GOOD STANDARD SQUAD PLAYER
      Caulker - KEEP – STANDARD SQUAD PLAYER
      Smith - KEEP – SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Skrtel - KEEP – SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Ward - KEEP – SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Ojo - KEEP – SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Grujic – NEW PLAYER SO STAYING
      Allan – NEW PLAYER SO STAYING

Kent - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Stewart - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Yesil - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Ilori - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Markovic - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Randall - KEEP TO GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Brannagan - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE

Enrique – TO BE SOLD
      Toure – TO BE SOLD
      Lovren – TO BE SOLD
      Teixeira – TO BE SOLD
      Wisdom – TO BE SOLD
      Sinclair – TO BE SOLD
      Mignolet – TO BE SOLD
      Balotelli – TO BE SOLD
      Bogdan – TO BE SOLD
      Sakho – TO BE SOLD
      Benteke – TO BE SOLD

I would sell most of these as they a either mediocre or completely useless and only fit for second tier football. I would only keep:- Coutinho, Firmino, Can, Ings,Flanagan, Origi, Rossiter, Gomez,Smith, Ward, Ojo ,Grujic,Allan, Kent, Stewart, Markovic,
      Randall, Brannagan, Sakho
      If I all honest; we should start by replacing the strikers. With the exception of Sturridge (too many Injuries)they are sub- standard for us, and D.S. plays less and less .Sell...our overhaul objective should be that we need to bring in at least one or two quality strikers, two CB a Winger, a midfield General and a solid Goal keeper.... Now just how many go next transfer window is up to Klopp but these are the players (up above) I believe he should retain the rest mediocre at best
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #146: Feb 04, 2016 04:09:28 pm
      To be honest, and I am going to go straight to the blindingly obvious here that I think a few will probably not like me saying but taking off any tinted glasses; most of our team needs binning off because in a nutshell, they're sh*t, they are nothing more than an average mid table standard. Hendo, Coutinho, Clyne, Firmino, Lucas, Ings and Can are the only ones I'd happily keep aside from any youngsters such as Gomoez.
      You could argue for Sturridge but what's the points when he's missed more games than he has played over 3 years. You could argue Sakho but he's been dodgy and I think we just hope he will become the star at the back we need.

After spending a good 200mill in 2 seasons. We have no decent keeper, our defence is sh*t, our midfield is just there doing nothing and our strikers literally can't score an open goal with the keeper no where insight.

Our team for the money spent is a complete and utter embarrassment and the squad needs a complete overhaul because we have far too many passengers. How we can have a goal difference of -4 with £70mill spent on two attacking players alone is disgraceful. We are near on 20 points behind Leicester for crying out loud. Can forget about any hopes of top 4 with the current crop of players because we are right where we belong, mid table. Got to be the most expensive mid table team in the history of the league.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,225 posts | 4919 
      Reply #147: Feb 04, 2016 04:10:37 pm
      I wouldn't actually get rid of as many as most and I'm trying to be purely pragmatic in my approach to these exits.

Sell:

Bogdan
      Skrtel
      Ilori
      Wisdom
      Allen
      Benteke
      Balotelli

Release

Yesil
      Toure
      Sinclair

Allen has played great under Klopp so far and for where Liverpool are right now, I think he's a decent squad player, however someone has to be cut and Lucas is more versatile. Sakho has played fantastic up until his latest injury so I'm prepared to wait and see if he rediscovers his form. If not, add him to the list. With increasing rumours of Matip joining us in the Summer, a Centre back has to go. Skrtel, at 31, has the least time on his side. In fact, his time is up. Benteke has goals in him but we are simply not cut out to play to his strengths. Keeping him means Wingers next season, something I don't see as an immediate priority. I would prefer to spend the money on a proven goal scorer. As for the rest, they're either too old or simply not good enough.

So in my ideal situation, we're looking at ten players exiting, releasing £355,000 a week off the wage bill. I want to see that money  go towards a top goal scorer, a top goalkeeper and a top centre back. By 'top' I mean a proven goal scorer, a proven match winner and a proven leader respectively. I do not necessarily mean a 'big name'. The rest I want to see how they perform after a pre-season with Klopp. If we get Matip and that's already budgeted for, then you can throw in some pace in the midfield as a replacement for Milner because we have a chronic lack of it at the moment.

I don't want a lot of players in because I don't want to wait another season why the players attempt to adapt to life in a new league and a new country. For once, I'd like us to hit the ground running next season. All this side needs is a little bit of quality and as we saw two years ago, that can have a massive impact on the players around them.

Pretty much agree with this mate.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #148: Feb 04, 2016 04:13:49 pm
      Ask yourself this how many players "Good" enough when we European Cup 2005   because 6 or 7 were not great players . What we did have was a spine Pepe, Carra , Stevie  and Did not even have a great Centre forward but quite a few winners who were prepared to go the hard yards and fight.

Dudek not Pepe but that night it was not Dudek in goal I don't know who it was but it wasn't Dudek
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #149: Feb 04, 2016 06:47:48 pm
      Dudek not Pepe but that night it was not Dudek in goal I don't know who it was but it wasn't Dudek

Even Dudek was better than what we have now.
      rossyred

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #150: Feb 04, 2016 08:22:53 pm

Ha ha sorry get me point though in fact now it was him its even more apt
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #151: Feb 05, 2016 07:42:39 pm
      To be honest, and I am going to go straight to the blindingly obvious here that I think a few will probably not like me saying but taking off any tinted glasses; most of our team needs binning off because in a nutshell, they're sh*t, they are nothing more than an average mid table standard. Hendo, Coutinho, Clyne, Firmino, Lucas, Ings and Can are the only ones I'd happily keep aside from any youngsters such as Gomoez.

You could argue for Sturridge but what's the points when he's missed more games than he has played over 3 years. You could argue Sakho but he's been dodgy and I think we just hope he will become the star at the back we need.

After spending a good 200mill in 2 seasons.

We have no decent keeper, our defence is sh*t, our midfield is just there doing nothing and our strikers literally can't score an open goal with the keeper no where insight.

Our team for the money spent is a complete and utter embarrassment and the squad needs a complete overhaul because we have far too many passengers.

How we can have a goal difference of -4 with £70mill spent on two attacking players alone is disgraceful. We are near on 20 points behind Leicester for crying out loud.

Can forget about any hopes of top 4 with the current crop of players because we are right where we belong, mid table.

Got to be the most expensive mid table team in the history of the league.

Every Word
      « Last Edit: Feb 05, 2016 08:03:05 pm by eurored »
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,169 posts | 520 
      Reply #152: Feb 05, 2016 09:43:26 pm

Very well put, and completely agree. We are a shower of sh*te. Where the fcuk has it all gone wrong.

Lets hope Jürgen can turn it around, but its a big ask.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #153: Feb 05, 2016 10:14:47 pm
      Wonder which players Jürgen thinks are good enough and the question is "good enough for what?". If its for getting fourth place and having a good cup run then that's one list but if its good enough to win the title that is a very very short list indeed
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #154: Feb 06, 2016 08:05:23 pm
      In Clyne Flanagan Skrtel Lovren Gomez Henderson Milner Can Ibe Coutinho Firmino Markovic Origi Sturridge Ings

Out Mignolet Bogdan Toure Sakho Moreno Lallana Allen Lucas Benteke

Need 1 Gk
      1 left back
      1 centre back
      2 midfielders
      1 Striker.
      A new captain
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #155: Feb 06, 2016 08:13:24 pm
      In Clyne Flanagan Skrtel Lovren Gomez Henderson Milner Can Ibe Coutinho Firmino Markovic Origi Sturridge Ings

Out Mignolet Bogdan Toure Sakho Moreno Lallana Allen Lucas Benteke

Need 1 Gk
      1 left back
      1 centre back
      2 midfielders
      1 Striker.
      A new captain

Allen is as good if not better than most of the players you would keep.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #156: Feb 06, 2016 08:22:14 pm
      Allen is as good if not better than most of the players you would keep.

Admittedly he's been a lot better recently. But no where near good enough, so I'd sell him now whilst we can recoup a chunk of the £15 million paid for him 😧
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #157: Feb 06, 2016 08:22:35 pm
      You do have a lot of faith in Ibe.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #158: Feb 06, 2016 08:30:56 pm
      Skrtel, Hendo, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge.

That all being well is the spine of our team.  Its actually quite decent with options of Ings and maybe Origi too.

Flanno is my right back and Smith is my left back for next season.

The rest I wouldn't lose any sleep over selling although I'd keep Lucas too.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #159: Feb 06, 2016 08:36:42 pm
      Skrtel, Hendo, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge.

That all being well is the spine of our team.  Its actually quite decent with options of Ings and maybe Origi too.

Flanno is my right back and Smith is my left back for next season.

The rest I wouldn't lose any sleep over selling although I'd keep Lucas too.

It's average mate.

Firmino and Sturrdge are the only true quality players. Unfortunately Sturridge can't string two games together. Coutinho is too inconsistent to be deemed real quality. Hendo is hit and miss and Skrtel is sh*te.

Whole sale changes are required if we ever want to reach top 4 again. Bar Firmino we need a completely new spine.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #160: Feb 06, 2016 08:37:59 pm
      Admittedly he's been a lot better recently. But no where near good enough, so I'd sell him now whilst we can recoup a chunk of the £15 million paid for him 😧

I don't get that though.

Why would you sell just when he is starting to show his worth at the club?????

Quick Reply