Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Which players are actually good enough for LFC

Read 16518 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Which players are actually good enough for LFC
      Reply #69: Dec 27, 2015 09:09:34 pm
      His post made sense in context with my post. Ie - full backs are underrated by their own fans and overrated by oppositions. He particularly was making reference to team styles.

then who are " the Chelsea lot in here"?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #70: Dec 27, 2015 09:15:36 pm
      then who are " the Chelsea lot in here"?

Ah no problem, another "misunderstanding", allow me to spell things out again. For a living I run a pub in sarf west Landon. You've referred to it and the largely Chelsea following many times yourself Walton, usually in the "why don't you f*** off back to your Chelsea loving pals/You don't go to as many games as me/I live in Liverpool and you don't nah-nah nahnah nah" sense, but nonetheless you have posted about it.

Perhaps you thought I'd moved on or been sacked or something Gawd knows, but the "in here" comments was referring to my pub and not the forum. That's because there aren't any Chelsea fans on the forum to the best of my knowledge, and therefore I made the mistake of thinking that my meaning was obvious. Apologies to you and anyone else who didn't understand the post if there is anyone. 
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1194 
      Reply #71: Dec 27, 2015 09:18:55 pm
      Ah no problem, another "misunderstanding", allow me to spell things out again. For a living I run a pub in sarf west Landon. You've referred to it and the largely Chelsea following many times yourself Walton, usually in the "why don't you f*** off back to your Chelsea loving pals/You don't go to as many games as me/I live in Liverpool and you don't nah-nah nahnah nah" sense, but nonetheless you have posted about it.

Perhaps you thought I'd moved on or been sacked or something Gawd knows, but the "in here" comments was referring to my pub and not the forum. That's because there aren't any Chelsea fans on the forum to the best of my knowledge, and therefore I made the mistake of thinking that my meaning was obvious. Apologies to you and anyone else who didn't understand the post if there is anyone. 

The curse of knowledge strikes again.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #72: Dec 27, 2015 10:28:34 pm
      That's because there aren't any Chelsea fans on the forum to the best of my knowledge

Federer ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #73: Dec 27, 2015 10:30:22 pm
      Walt .

Many moons back I used to live in SW19 and know the very pub Mick runs .... although my local was down the road.

Just a reflection on things.

I got burned for a pound and a pint in '71 to a few pub goers when we lost to the Gooners at Wembley.
      Charlie c**t George.

I was only earning £30 squid a week as a teenager.
      Ron Harris lived three doors away from me.
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2015 12:25:01 am by eurored »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #74: Dec 27, 2015 11:06:58 pm
      it's not exactly the mean streets in SW19 as you know yourself mate.

Mean Streets?! It's one the most desirable postcodes in London. Lovely area  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #75: Dec 27, 2015 11:13:01 pm
      Those who are not good enough Allen, Lallana(no end product).

Does Lallana have to have end product? If we had mobile strikers available for selection and he was King of the assists, would his lack of end product even matter? Why penalise a player for the lack of available options that suit his style of play? His role is to create chances, not to convert them. Stick him in the 13/14 season's team and no one would be saying he's not good enough for us, they'd be saying he was one of the best midfielders in the country.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #76: Dec 27, 2015 11:17:42 pm
      Does Lallana have to have end product? If we had mobile strikers available for selection and he was King of the assists, would his lack of end product even matter? Why penalise a player for the lack of available options that suit his style of play? His role is to create chances, not to convert them. Stick him in the 13/14 season's team and no one would be saying he's not good enough for us, they'd be saying he was one of the best midfielders in the country.

That's true, but he showed for Southampton that he can score goals, so there's no reason why he shouldn't get amongst the goals for us. He very talented, but we're still not seeing the best of him.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #77: Dec 27, 2015 11:19:00 pm
      That's true, but he showed for Southampton that he can score goals, so there's no reason why he shouldn't get amongst the goals for us. He very talented, but we're still not seeing the best of him.

Which is pissing me off since he came from another prem team and he's been here a year and half.

He needs to start adding goals and assists, something isn't right.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #78: Dec 27, 2015 11:21:40 pm
      Which is pissing me off since he came from another prem team and he's been here a year and half.

He needs to start adding goals and assists, something isn't right.
      If he's going to score he needs to play in the No10 position, if he's going to assist, he needs Sturridge back imo.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #79: Dec 28, 2015 01:31:42 am

Perhaps we're the ones failing to get the best out of him? Who in our squad have we seen the best of consistently over the last eighteen months? Coutinho has had plenty of stinkers but no one suggests he's not good enough to play for us. Sure it would be nice to have him score goals but it's not essential. The only reason it's an issue is because we lack prolific strikers. Sort that problem and Lallana's issue takes care of itself.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #80: Dec 28, 2015 02:47:44 am
      In an ideal world we all want Liverpool to be consistently challenging for trophies and for titles. So based on this, this is how I'd rank our current squad.

Good enough for first XI in a title winning team:
      Clyne, Sakho, Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge.

I think there's been a lot of over-exaggerations in this thread to be honest. You don't need 11 world class players to make a world class team and I think many forget that. The 5 I've named there, in my opinion, would make a fantastic base provided they're surrounded by players of similar quality.

Good enough for squad in a title winning team:
      Mignolet, Moreno, Flanagan, Lucas, Can, Milner, Firmino, Ings, Origi, Ibe.

Again, we don't need a blank canvas. We aren't a million miles away, it just looks that way because we lack star quality. Our squad is actually a pretty good one which is why we're crying out for players to be found that are ready to come straight into the first XI when signed. Unfortunately, it's naturally extremely difficult to find this kind of player when you're not already one of the consistently top teams/you're not oil rich.

Left Lovren out intentionally because I'm unsure on whether he's good enough for the squad. Like everyone else, a month ago I would've laughed off such a suggestion but his upturn in form under Klopp has been quite a dramatic one.

Re: Firmino, I see a few saying he's not good enough. Anyone who watched him regularly in Germany will have seen how extraordinarily talented this lad is. It's breaking my heart to see so many thinking he's sh*te cos he hasn't really produced yet when he's 21 years old in a new country.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #81: Dec 28, 2015 04:13:03 pm
      Players being good enough ?
      Players we bought?

Was gutted we didn't go for Shaqiri even though there was plenty of noise about it at the time.
      Has scored two for Stoke by HT today  .... the second  Goal Of The Season?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #82: Dec 28, 2015 05:23:46 pm
      Walt .

Many moons back I used to live in SW19 and know the very pub Mick runs .... although my local was down the road.

Just a reflection on things.

I got burned for a pound and a pint in '71 to a few pub goers when we lost to the Gooners at Wembley.
      Charlie c**t George.

I was only earning £30 squid a week as a teenager.
      Ron Harris lived three doors away from me.

Well I was a resident of Battersea,Wandsworth.Chiswick and many other God forsaken Boroughs so I know the locals ;)
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #83: Dec 28, 2015 10:27:34 pm
      Players being good enough ?
      Players we bought?

Was gutted we didn't go for Shaqiri even though there was plenty of noise about it at the time.
      Has scored two for Stoke by HT today  .... the second  Goal Of The Season?
      Yeah, its also the first game Shaqiri's turned up in since August too so whilst I wouldn't mind him, its not like it'd be an improvement. We don't need any more players who only turn up every tenth game.

He's great for Stoke because he's their best player and because its Stoke they don't mind him stinking out the place most games. When he's in a good team he's just not consistent enough.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #84: Dec 29, 2015 12:19:10 am
      Yeah, its also the first game Shaqiri's turned up in since August too so whilst I wouldn't mind him, its not like it'd be an improvement. We don't need any more players who only turn up every tenth game.

He's great for Stoke because he's their best player and because its Stoke they don't mind him stinking out the place most games. When he's in a good team he's just not consistent enough.

Second time since August to be correct.

He did tear Chelsea to pieces also a few weeks ago.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #85: Dec 29, 2015 01:29:35 pm
      I wouldn't expect fullbacks to 'boss a game'. I actually think Moreno and certainly Clyne can and will play at the highest level.

Clyne hardly gets a mention which for me means he is doing a good job and Moreno is doing so much better so I don't have a problem with our fullbacks. Lovren and Sakho have both improved under Jürgen and if they can settle into a partnership our back four could be fixed for the rest of the season.
      The problem for me is Lallana,Couthino,Firmino and Henderson just don't score enough goals and then add Milner,Lucas,Allen,Can that's 8 players who between then should be providing 30 goals plus between them. Taking Stevie out of the team has taken 10 plus goals out of the squad. Then our attack is so unsettled Sturridge is always on the sick Benteke is still trying to work out why he has to run around and Origi although improved is way off becoming a world beater. The result of all of the above is after 18 games we have a -1 goal difference so you could argue that none of our current squad are safe.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #86: Dec 29, 2015 04:58:55 pm
      I feel answering this topic will change from week to week.😉

Probably the most intelligent and overlooked comment so far...
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #87: Dec 29, 2015 08:12:07 pm

By end product I mean assists and goals. He is an attacking midfielder of a team aiming for top 4. He rarely creates decisive occasions and never seems to be a real threat in front of the goal.
      Sterling has better stats and he is not the finished product yet.
      Compare Lallana to other attacking midfielders of the top teams and his influence is negligible. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #88: Dec 29, 2015 08:20:48 pm

Your post was clear as day Mick. How anybody read it any different is beyond me.

Mean Streets?! It's one the most desirable postcodes in London. Lovely area  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Sure is. One of the many London areas I've drank and spewed up on the street in. Tactically, though.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #89: Dec 29, 2015 08:28:22 pm
      Don't need 11 'top quality' players, just a good sprinkling. City have Kompany/Silva/Toure/Aquero etc. We lost Suarez/Gerrard/Sterling, and haven't really brought in similar quality to replace them. Cou and Studge are arguably our only 2 x-factor players, and sicknote hardly ever plays. We have good solid guys in Hendo/Milner/Sahko/Clyne etc. and in Klopp we have a manager who should get the most out of them, so could push into top4. But would think he'll need to find some more quality guys to go as close as we did in 13/14.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #90: Jan 02, 2016 07:00:42 pm
      I can honestly say that there is not one stand out player in the whole squad.

29 players in.

£300 million pounds worth of sh*te actually.

Can could be.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #91: Jan 02, 2016 08:14:55 pm
      This squad? Strong title contenders or definitely a top four material in a sort of summer 6 a side preseason tournament.
      Nice weather, lovely surface, no pressure to win at all so no need for experienced leaders, less areal duels because of smaller goals, a fancy flicks and tricks would be just ideal for our lighweight magicians.

But you need quiet the opposite for the most PL games and the team Rodgers had build is well short of that. Sure, buy young promising talent then polish them and sell on profit wasnt Brendans idea so the club directors must take a lot of blame for a state of  our squad.

We need to change the clubs strategy and an Ayres knowing F**k all about football first before we start rebuilding the team again.

Quick Reply