Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Steven Caulker (Former Loanee)

Read 32335 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Steven Caulker Player Thread
      Reply #69: Jan 12, 2016 05:56:36 pm
      F**k it, why not? Welcome to the Club Steven.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #70: Jan 12, 2016 05:59:36 pm
      Sensible move. Loan deal if it doesn't work no big loss. However it gives experience in a position were wiped out in. Let's let the lad have a go in the team before making a call

My only concern if he were to start tomorrow would be him not knowing Klopps system and that leading to issues in the game.

Overall best of luck to the lad
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #71: Jan 12, 2016 06:04:42 pm
      I really don't think we'll be playing very much, perhaps Europa League?

Ordinarily Skrtel (another kettle of fish) and Sakho, Lovren and Toure. Maybe even Ilori will prove to be a decent option.

I honest to god don't see what the fuss is here, we need bodies. By the time the Europa League is back Skrtel could be near enough fit anyway so that'd push Toure back to Europa League cover.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #72: Jan 12, 2016 06:08:39 pm
      Hopefully he won't play for us like he did when we battered the saints at St Marys...
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #73: Jan 12, 2016 06:19:02 pm
      Instead of signing Southampton's best we're now signing players that can't get a game for love nor money at the club!

I hope they're not proposing a similar bodge job at the other end of the field, that is the bigger worry for me
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #74: Jan 12, 2016 06:21:29 pm
      “It was very important for us. In our situation, four weeks ago we didn’t know we’d have a problem with centre-halves because they were all in the race.

“At the start of the season, Joe Gomez was also in the squad, so a fifth centre-half - and then the situation changed completely. Now, we’ve had to make a decision whether we wanted to get another player for the position.

“The situation is Martin Skrtel is not available for around about the next four-and-a-half weeks, five weeks. Then we have the problem with Dejan – it’s only a little muscle injury. I think he’ll be available in one to one-and-a-half weeks.

“Then you have Mama with a little knee issue – he can play, but it’s not perfect and you cannot bring him three or four times in a row throughout the season. And it’s the same for Kolo and so would mean we are always in this situation, do we have enough or not? So we thought, ‘Yes, good idea’.

“We looked for Premier League experience because in this short time, you need that experience. We looked for a good header of the ball because that’s what we need – we want to play good pressing, we want to press the opponent and so they have to play long balls. If they play long balls, you need people in the last line who can help you with headers.

“And we’ve found it with Steven Caulker. He was not in the best situation in Southampton, didn’t play too much, but this is January and we want to have the best solution for us and we are absolutely convinced that Steven is the best solution for us.

“I am looking forward to working with him. He will be here today and then we can start working, so everything is good!”
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #75: Jan 12, 2016 06:23:34 pm
      A few things going round my noggin with this one

Klopp wanted him, ok cool, I trust he knows what he's doing

Klopp didn't want him, FSG wanted him, not cool, worried how Klopp might view this 'if' it's true

He was pretty good a few years ago but things haven't worked out too well, yet

This signing seems very similar to the kind of signing we'd expect from the Rodgers/Transfer Committee era. Klopp gets first and last word on new signings? Well, I'm just a bit surprised at this one.

So yes, not sure what to make of this one, but to be honest, I expected more. Perhaps a permanent signing seeing as we've all (more or less) thought that we needed a good first choice centre back. I thought with Klopp in charge we'd start seeing the kinds of signings that would make us all sit up and take notice. If you know what I mean. Caulker might turn out to be brilliant for us, perhaps Klopp knows best. I hope that's the case Feel a little deflated, underwhelmed and I think that's because as I said earlier, this signings seems to have Transfer Committee slapped all over it.

I can't imagine Klopp has seen or heard of the lad. Strikes me as a transfer committee signing in an area we're struggling in. I'm neither excited or concerned.

I am worried about our attacking play though. Are FSG going to back Klopp during this window? Given our injuries and the important month ahead (arsenal, mancs, league cup, FA cup) I thought they. Igbo have done some business by now rather than sitting on their fookin hands.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #76: Jan 12, 2016 06:24:57 pm
      He'll come through AND score goals;

I was rather hoping we might sign a striker to do that mate. :)
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #77: Jan 12, 2016 06:40:42 pm
      Fair play, we don't half have some lemons as fans.

1. It's a loan deal to solve a short term crisis at centre back in January.
      2. He has experience in the league and is actually better than people give him credit for.
      3. At Swansea City he did very well and he also did at Cardiff City considering how poor they were defensively as a whole. He was one of the more solid links in the chain, and if it wasn't him throwing his body on the line often they'd have been thrashed by even more each week. Are people forgetting the shifts he put in for them against Manchester City and Manchester United? Clearly.
      4. He scores goals down the other end pitch so now if we just invest in someone who can actually find his head, we're sorted.
      5. Alongside a good partner he plays extremely well, as he proved at Swansea City.

Some of you lot need to pull yourselves together.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #78: Jan 12, 2016 06:59:15 pm
      That said, it does seem a bit like a committee signing - Andy Hunter and co know mediocrity very well, and as already stated on here, seem intent on bringing the club down to their Sunday League level. This may sound completely irrational, but if it is on the committee's recommendation, then this is going to be a disaster.
      You need to get a tinfoil hat friend......
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #79: Jan 12, 2016 07:21:14 pm

2. He has experience in the league and is actually better than people give him credit for.
      3. At Swansea City he did very well and he also did at Cardiff City considering how poor they were defensively as a whole. He was one of the more solid links in the chain, and if it wasn't him throwing his body on the line often they'd have been thrashed by even more each week. Are people forgetting the shifts he put in for them against Manchester City and Manchester United? Clearly.
      4. He scores goals down the other end pitch so now if we just invest in someone who can actually find his head, we're sorted.
      5. Alongside a good partner he plays extremely well, as he proved at Swansea City.

1,2 and 3 fair enough. 4 Benteke also scores goals at that end of the pitch, but nobody can find his head! 5 We've bought a lot of players that did well at smaller clubs, that flopped for us. Hopefully Steven can be different.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #80: Jan 12, 2016 07:21:59 pm

I agree that a few seasons ago, I thought Caulker was a top defender with genuine potential. Since then though he seems to have lost his way. Hopefully Klopp can get his confidence going again, because as you say, I think he's better than some give him credit for.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #81: Jan 12, 2016 07:25:33 pm

You going a bit too far in the other direction with it though, He was an integral part of a QPR back four that couldn't defend all season last year and this year he cant get in a struggling Saints team who were desperately looking to replace Alderweireld. He's stop-gap, a bodge job, he might work, he might not, I suspect he'll do ok.

I think the venting in here as much to do with our failure (thus far) to add anybody of any real substance despite us having a new manager, despite us being crippled with injuries and despite us struggling ever since that win at Saints 6-7 weeks ago.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #82: Jan 12, 2016 07:28:43 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #83: Jan 12, 2016 07:30:32 pm
      Thank F**k it's a loan is all I can say. I have no doubts that we have only signed him out of desperation and if true, it's only because Dortmund wouldn't let Subotic go mid season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #84: Jan 12, 2016 07:31:15 pm

Mama has been learning too much from Big Ben!

:lmao:
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #85: Jan 12, 2016 08:41:55 pm
      Is this real life?  Steven Caulker?  is Brendan Rodgers still pulling the strings at the club?!

Somehow I doubt very much that Klopp walked into the room and said "get me Steven Caulker."
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #86: Jan 12, 2016 08:42:12 pm
      I trust Klopp has a master plan for the summer so this makes sense... based on that!

Welcome Steven!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #87: Jan 12, 2016 08:44:58 pm
      Is this real life?  Steven Caulker?  is Brendan Rodgers still pulling the strings at the club?!

Somehow I doubt very much that Klopp walked into the room and said "get me Steven Caulker."

With us needing such a quick transfer I think he's basically just gone and asked for a centre back that is good in the air and he's been pointed in Caulker's direction.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #88: Jan 12, 2016 08:49:10 pm
      With us needing such a quick transfer I think he's basically just gone and asked for a centre back that is good in the air and he's been pointed in Caulker's direction.

Caulker is so good in the air that he couldn't even get a game for Saints.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #89: Jan 12, 2016 08:52:59 pm
      We got Lovren and we were all happy because he was good @ Southampton,  we all know how he played ( at least till a few weeks ago)
       now we got this guy and most are not happy with him, lets hope it turns out to be the reverse  to the lovren one and turns out to be a good LOAN deal
        one could say its better him than a Lucas @ CB
        we will see, at least its a loan one and we can let him go back if he is no good at all
      so why not, he is a red now (at least for a few months) 
      Welcome to LFC Steven
      YNWA
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #90: Jan 12, 2016 08:55:27 pm
      one could say its better him than a Lucas @ CB

we used to be champions of Europe.

now our standard is "well at least he's better than playing Lucas out of position."

christ the standards have plummeted.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #91: Jan 12, 2016 08:57:33 pm
      we used to be champions of Europe.

now our standard is "well at least he's better than playing Lucas out of position."

christ the standards have plummeted.

We've got a ton of injuries, he's hardly going to be our first choice when everybody is fit is he.

Quick Reply