Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Doping in football

Read 4479 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Doping in football
      Jan 21, 2016 06:14:09 pm
      Arsene Wenger came out today saying he's 100% sure that there is no doping going on in English football. His comments follow on from previous comments in which he has, more often than most, brought up the issue of drugs in football. In 2013 he claimed that some of the games favourite legends were 'drug fuelled' and only in November 2015 he came out and said that 'UEFA basically accepts doping' following the failure to suspend Dinamo Zagreb after one of their players was suspended for 4 years after failing a test.

*** http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35371370

*** http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9858938/Arsene-Wenger-our-game-is-full-of-drug-fuelled-legends-and-needs-to-be-cleaned-up.html

*** http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/23/arsene-wenger-accuses-uefa-accepting-doping-arsenal-dynamo-zagreb

This isn't whinging by Wenger and his comments should probably be taken more seriously. Interestingly though the UK Anti Doping Agency has jumped on Wenger's recent comments and intend to investigate the claims with Wenger more than happy to oblige.

Had a conversation with -LFC- regarding doping in sport on the news section and the soon to be released judgement on the appeals made by various sporting and anti doping agencies with regards to the proposed destruction of hundreds of bags of blood commandeered Eufiamo Fuentes case. One of the alleged accusations made against Fuentes is that he assisted a Spanish Champions League side from years ago.

Can Wenger achieve anything from this in demanding stricter anti doping controls in football? Do we pay enough attention to the prospects of cheating in football or is it just too powerful that uncovering it would be impossible thanks to the vested interests that go right across the board from sponsors to coaches and the footballers themselves?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Doping in football
      Reply #1: Jan 21, 2016 06:17:59 pm
      Arsene Wenger came out today saying he's 100% sure that there is no doping going on in English football. His comments follow on from previous comments in which he has, more often than most, brought up the issue of drugs in football. In 2013 he claimed that some of the games favourite legends were 'drug fuelled' and only in November 2015 he came out and said that 'UEFA basically accepts doping' following the failure to suspend Dinamo Zagreb after one of their players was suspended for 4 years after failing a test.

*** http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35371370

*** http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9858938/Arsene-Wenger-our-game-is-full-of-drug-fuelled-legends-and-needs-to-be-cleaned-up.html

*** http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/23/arsene-wenger-accuses-uefa-accepting-doping-arsenal-dynamo-zagreb

This isn't whinging by Wenger and his comments should probably be taken more seriously. Interestingly though the UK Anti Doping Agency has jumped on Wenger's recent comments and intend to investigate the claims with Wenger more than happy to oblige.

Had a conversation with -LFC- regarding doping in sport on the news section and the soon to be released judgement on the appeals made by various sporting and anti doping agencies with regards to the proposed destruction of hundreds of bags of blood commandeered Eufiamo Fuentes case. One of the alleged accusations made against Fuentes is that he assisted a Spanish Champions League side from years ago.

Can Wenger achieve anything from this in demanding stricter anti doping controls in football? Do we pay enough attention to the prospects of cheating in football or is it just too powerful that uncovering it would be impossible thanks to the vested interests that go right across the board from sponsors to coaches and the footballers themselves?

I heard there were certain players that were so doped up they could hardly walk.

Remember this guy who used to play for us

And never before seen footage where he was so doped up he fell down and tried to get jiggy with it on the pitch

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: Jan 21, 2016 06:28:03 pm
      I heard there were certain players that were so doped up they could hardly walk.

Remember this guy who used to play for us

And never before seen footage where he was so doped up he fell down and thought he was part of an orgy

Ohhh it's so cute...the horse not Andy Carroll. Poor thing...again the horse not Andy Carroll.

nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #3: Apr 03, 2016 09:43:50 am
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4: Apr 03, 2016 12:46:54 pm

Few more teams than that according to the Sunday Times including Utd, City, Spurs and Birmingham
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Apr 03, 2016 01:15:50 pm

Few more teams than that according to the Sunday Times including Utd, City, Spurs and Birmingham

Relegate all those cu*ts and we'll be Champions!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Apr 03, 2016 01:22:31 pm
      So if proven to be correct will those players involved get lifetime bans then like athletes do?
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #7: Apr 03, 2016 01:25:31 pm
      So if proven to be correct will those players involved get lifetime bans then like athletes do?
      And what about their clubs?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Apr 03, 2016 01:34:54 pm

I don't see how or why the Clubs would or could be punished mate, unless they were found to be complicit.  In any other sport it's almost always the individuals who are responsible for their own actions.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Apr 03, 2016 02:19:42 pm
      I think you would have to be very naive to believe doping just doesn't happen in football. The rewards are so great I am sure it must (with or without the club knowledge). Perhaps not so much at the top level of the game but for aspiring footballers it must be a great temptation to add a little to their game through drugs, more so today perhaps than a few years ago, as the game is now much more about stamina and speed.

There were a lot of rumours in the late 90's about Man U. when one of their players admitted that he was given injections by the club in pre-season and had no idea what was in them. Vitamins, Creatine, or something illegal? 

The biggest problem is, it is in no ones interest to catch the drug cheats in any sport. The sport loses sponsors, the fans lose faith and interest and everyone loses money... just like match fixing.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #10: Apr 05, 2016 05:47:22 pm
      More stuff from The Times.

Over the weekend, the Sunday Times reported that a doctor who prescribed performance-enhancing drugs for athletes claimed to have worked with footballers from clubs including Leicester City.
      On Sunday afternoon, Leicester beat Southampton to go seven points clear at the top of the Premier League. On the same day last year, Leicester were seven points adrift of safety at the bottom of the table. In that calendar year, Leicester have taken 91 league points – 18 more than the next best teams, Arsenal and Tottenham.
      In most other sports, such an improvement would lead to dark mutterings and sceptical questions, if not open derision. In the post-Armstrong world, no evidence is even necessary – the improvement alone is enough to trigger the rumours.
      In football, most people are still talking about a fairytale, even on the day when Leicester’s name was mentioned in connection with doping allegations. The world’s biggest sport is still the only one where doping doesn’t really feature in the conversation.
      Football is an intensely competitive sport that offers huge financial rewards and is policed by a comparatively lax anti-doping system. The incentives that drive athletes in other sports to take drugs are all present, so why do people recoil at the idea that a lot of top footballers are probably doping?
      Part of it has to do with the still-common idea that performance-enhancing drugs don’t help you to play football. Their benefits are more obvious in a sport like cycling, which is all about athleticism and endurance, than in football, where the technical and tactical components are more important than the physical.
      That argument is obviously absurd. Performance-enhancing drugs can’t turn you into a good footballer, but they can help turn you into a better one. Other things being equal, players who can improve strength, speed and stamina will become better.
      Another argument is that contracted players usually have a guaranteed minimum income. The risks of exposure therefore outweigh the possible rewards doping can provide. But this doesn’t address the fact that a doped footballer might have more chance of winning a lucrative contract in the first place.
      Still another argument suggests that the highly social nature of the sport, where teams consist of large numbers of players who are frequently on the move, and are in the glare of intense media interest, makes it hard to preserve the sort of omerta that dopers usually find indispensable.
      But while those factors might make it complicated for a football club to dope in an organised way, it doesn’t prevent individual players from consulting privately with unscrupulous doctors to find a personal doping solution.
      In that case the people most likely to catch them in the act are probably not the anti-doping agencies, but their own employers.
      Football clubs in Germany at least have upped their scientific game in recent years, as I discovered when speaking to Dr Markus de Marées and Dr Pamela Wicker at the German Sports University in Cologne in September 2014.
      Dr de Marées, of the Institute of Training Science and Sport Informatics, told me that Bundesliga clubs test their players’ blood “very often. Three to five years ago they did it three or four times a year. Now they’re doing it nearly every day.”
      A club running frequent blood tests on its players could soon be aware of any freelance doping being undertaken. But what action are they likely to take?
      When I asked Drs Wicker and de Marées why there are so few doping positives in football, Dr Wicker, of the Institute of Sports Economics, answered flatly: “Because Fifa doesn’t want any positive tests.”
      Dr de Marèes: “Doping will always be found in sports where you can earn lots of money. But in football it’s like they don’t want to have it. Maybe they’re looking at the wrong parameters. Maybe they’re looking at the wrong time. Or . . . maybe the players are clean. I don’t know. I used to sit in front of the TV cheering for Jan Ullrich. I was definitely sure that he didn’t dope. I was naive enough to think that. Now it’s gone totally in the other direction. I don’t believe that high performance sports are free of doping.”
      Dr Wicker referred to the Operacion Puerto trial. “We had that Fuentes case with the cyclists in Spain. They also had some blood samples from other athletes, apparently including football players. And . . . I’m still wondering why they did not pursue these cases. Because the cyclists, they were caught, and the others, they were just put in the bin. It’s a question mark, I think. It gave a bit of an indication that the people in charge in Spain said: you can touch these cyclists, but not our great football players.”
      Dr Wicker was wrong about one thing: those blood bags are not in the bin . We’re waiting for a final verdict on the appeal against the judge’s decision to destroy the bags. The eventual verdict will have a great bearing on whether football’s mood of passive denial can go on for much longer.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Apr 07, 2016 01:30:54 pm
      I don't see how or why the Clubs would or could be punished mate, unless they were found to be complicit.  In any other sport it's almost always the individuals who are responsible for their own actions.

Funnily enough, it's actually coaches who usually administer this type of stuff more commonly than anyone else. But yes, the only way clubs get caught up in this is if the person administering is a club employee or the players were introduced to the doctor by a club employee.

For Arsene to say he is 100% sure there is no doping is absurd. Doping and corruption are prevalent in every sport in every country. I'm not saying it is a fact Premier League, and footballers in the lower leagues, do use doping, but i wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it did happen.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #12: Apr 08, 2016 12:53:21 pm
      Cantona was a F***ing dope.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #13: Apr 08, 2016 06:00:09 pm
      Yeah! That Daniel LaRusso he'd done spoke volumes.
      « Last Edit: Apr 09, 2016 09:00:10 am by nikos »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #14: Apr 08, 2016 09:41:29 pm
      I blame the parents me self...

Poor Robbie... never stood a chance ;D

Quick Reply