Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Mignolet steps up when it matters

Read 12320 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Mignolet steps up when it matters
      Reply #23: Jan 26, 2016 11:25:54 pm
      Pleased for the lad.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #24: Jan 26, 2016 11:30:18 pm

Got to be mate we have torn chunks out of him its only fair we give him praise for doing the business tonight
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #25: Jan 26, 2016 11:34:05 pm
      I'm skeptical regarding Butland mainly because we've seen that type of keeper step up to a big club and fail in the past, but tonight should change no ones opinion on Mignolet.

Not sure mate - we came second in the league with him in nets and last year he kept more clean sheets than any other premiership keeper.

If we go on to win this cup he will always be a part of LFC folklore as Dudek is and some may look a little more favourably upon him.

He produced the goods tonight.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #26: Jan 26, 2016 11:39:44 pm
      Well there's one year of the new five year contract paid off ;)

We leaving this thread open for the final
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #27: Jan 26, 2016 11:41:19 pm
      lets see how he does when we have a decent back four and someone who actually takes control.
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #28: Jan 26, 2016 11:49:06 pm
      That's what matters if you want to be a team that wins very little and certainly doesn't come anywhere near the league, sure. To challenge for leagues you need consistency. Doing well in a penalty shootout once in a blue moon isn't enough. If you want to win leagues every game counts and every game matters. If you're happy languishing in 7th or wherever we are at the moment and occasionally doing well in a cup, then yes, tonight is the match that counted and tonight is the match that mattered.
      Bollocks. He did well when it mattered, Butland didn't. We're in the final with a shot at silverware, they won't win anything this season unless they now go on an amazing cup run which involves beating Palace at Selhurst Park in their next fixture. Teams that turn up when it matters are the ones that win things.

To challenge for league titles you need to start winning things, bringing in quality players and get the right mentality into the squad that they are capable of achieving.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Jan 26, 2016 11:52:42 pm
      Bollocks. He did well when it mattered, Butland didn't. We're in the final with a shot at silverware, they won't win anything this season unless they now go on an amazing cup run which involves beating Palace at Selhurst Park in their next fixture. Teams that turn up when it matters are the ones that win things.

To challenge for league titles you need to start winning things, bringing in quality players and get the right mentality into the squad that they are capable of achieving.

Exactly this was a cup game and if you cant just enjoy the win and appreciate Simon and Joe tonight then that's just sad
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #30: Jan 27, 2016 12:04:01 am
      Fair play to the lad, his save helped put us through to another Wembley final.
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #31: Jan 27, 2016 12:04:20 am
      Exactly this was a cup game and if you cant just enjoy the win and appreciate Simon and Joe tonight then that's just sad
      Yep. If we win the league cup this year then players will see that on the world stage and start believing that Klopp can get the side going again elsewhere. More players will want to come and play for him because it will be all about belief and the future moving forward and they will want to win things. A domestic cup would be just the start but we've got to start somewhere. A nice domestic cup would be nice followed by a Europa League win, which would actually put us on the European stage again as a credible force and as its a competition valued more highly around Europe than in the UK, it's also one that could help bring in extra quality.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #32: Jan 27, 2016 12:10:13 am
      Migs as usual he's a f**ker but shoot outs he's our hero

Didnt we have a 30 pen shootout last year?

Made up he saved a couple but he could try doing it in an actual game.

Pressure Lucas must have been under. And wee Pirlo.

I'm thrilled he did his job tonight but I still think his days here are numbered. Sorry for being a misery arse.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #33: Jan 27, 2016 12:49:47 am
      Mignolet deserves credit for his penalty saves, but the goal Stoke scored in normal time, although it was offside, it was right at him! from what I saw it went through his legs.

My comment pretty much on the same line as JD

Didnt we have a 30 pen shootout last year?

Made up he saved a couple but he could try doing it in an actual game.

Pressure Lucas must have been under. And wee Pirlo.

I'm thrilled he did his job tonight but I still think his days here are numbered. Sorry for being a misery arse.

Comments below aimed towards me.

Any reason why you don't swear at the moderators for having the same opinion in different words? In my opinion the goal Stoke scored, although it was offside I think he should have saved it and it shouldn't have got to penalties, I gave him credit for his saves... if people are abused for having an opinion then that's pretty sad for a discussion forum.

And Walton, you in particular keep responding to my posts in an abusive manner, I would advise to tone it down. Please reflect on this forum rule;

1.4 BULLYING OR ABUSIVE POSTS aimed at a fellow poster. We do understand that occasionally emotion can run high but any concerted and continuing abuse aimed at another poster will be classed as trolling and will result in action.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #34: Jan 27, 2016 06:46:08 am
      Mignolet deserves credit for his penalty saves, but the goal Stoke scored in normal time, although it was offside, it was right at him! from what I saw it went through his legs.

It was a quick shot taken from about 10 metres from his goal, it would have been a fantastic save if he did it, but you can't say Mignolet is at fault for that goal, you're talking like Arnautovic shot from 30 yards and the ball went through Mings. Stop trying to wind people up.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #35: Jan 27, 2016 06:57:16 am

Any reason why you don't swear at the moderators for having the same opinion in different words? In my opinion the goal Stoke scored, although it was offside I think he should have saved it and it shouldn't have got to penalties, I gave him credit for his saves... if people are abused for having an opinion then that's pretty sad for a discussion forum.

And Walton, you in particular keep responding to my posts in an abusive manner, I would advise to tone it down. Please reflect on this forum rule;

1.4 BULLYING OR ABUSIVE POSTS aimed at a fellow poster. We do understand that occasionally emotion can run high but any concerted and continuing abuse aimed at another poster will be classed as trolling and will result in action.

I cant argue with that.

Well in Mig for last night but F***ing hell in the grand scheme of things it's a bit of a band wagon this. He deserves a bit of credit but let's keep things in perspective like.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #36: Jan 27, 2016 09:39:12 am
      you still alive then I was worried for you for a while.
      Great for Simon he deserves all the credit coming his way.

Yep, still surviving, just. Bad head this morning but all worthwhile, we're off to Wembley, I just pray we do it in normal time, too much excitement at my age!
      Voted for Mignolet for MOM, he's taken some stick so it's only fair he gets the credit.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #37: Jan 27, 2016 10:28:41 am

being an arse should be self moderated you annoy most people on this forum with your pedantic ramblings about mignolet. IF you are able to read all the posts on here not many if any say he is a good goal keeper but you keep going on and on and on its f***in annoying.
      You don't have an opinion on mignolet you have an addiction like a child seeking attention if you don't want pulling up for it don't do it.Plenty of other posters comment negatively on Mignolet but they also have other views on lots of different topics you have one view .
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Jan 27, 2016 10:34:44 am
      Went the right way on all but two occasions. Can't ask for more. Did very well. As did all our pen takers except for Can.

Would still trade him for a sandwich and chocolate milk, though.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #39: Jan 27, 2016 01:10:12 pm
      Sorry but saving 2 penos isn't going to make me forget everything else.

1 peno was terrible the last one, you knew in his walk up he wasn't scoring. And a lot of keepers will save at least 1 of the 5 penos unless they are all of exceptional standard.

So well done on doing your job Simon. Now how about in the proper 90 minutes of a game which as far as I recall also matter how about

1) saving the first shot in a game that comes at you
      2) dominate your area
      3) Boss your defenders
      4) Catch a cross when it needs catching and is very catchable
      5) least important to me but still important, work on your distribution

steps up when it matters? It always matters
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #40: Jan 27, 2016 01:44:26 pm
      Sorry but saving 2 penos isn't going to make me forget everything else.

Yea, agree. Enjoy last night, but still a problem position. Someone stops kickin you in the balls for 5 mins is great, but ideally you don't want them to start kicking ye there again.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #41: Jan 27, 2016 03:32:58 pm
      I didn't enjoy winning yesterday, either.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #42: Jan 27, 2016 08:54:36 pm
      A new thread for this? Couldn't Migs have been slapped on the back in his own thread? Odd.
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #43: Jan 27, 2016 11:23:19 pm
      A new thread for this? Couldn't Migs have been slapped on the back in his own thread? Odd.

No. Given the stick he has got from plenty of fans, including myself, I think it is completely warranted to make something of it when he does extremely well. He stepped up and delivered when it mattered and has helped send the team to Wembley. As a Liverpool fan who demanded more of Mignolet, its nice to see him doing such a thing in such a match and delivering. Yes, some will say that this doesn't negate the fact his consistency is a problem and he is error prone, okay, I get it, but he still deserves credit when its due. The lad did well.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: Jan 27, 2016 11:37:02 pm

don't know about slapped on the back he is still taking a fair few to the bollox
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #45: Jan 28, 2016 12:18:09 am
      Well done Simon.  You've taken quite a bit of stick on this forum and on occasion rightly so.  However, last night Stoke's goal was clearly offside, and you showed what a great shot stopper you are. Big occasion, big expectations, and you did well.

Quick Reply