Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Mignolet steps up when it matters

Read 12369 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Re: Mignolet steps up when it matters
      Reply #46: Jan 28, 2016 02:04:50 am
      No. Given the stick he has got from plenty of fans, including myself, I think it is completely warranted to make something of it when he does extremely well. He stepped up and delivered when it mattered and has helped send the team to Wembley. As a Liverpool fan who demanded more of Mignolet, its nice to see him doing such a thing in such a match and delivering. Yes, some will say that this doesn't negate the fact his consistency is a problem and he is error prone, okay, I get it, but he still deserves credit when its due. The lad did well.

So slapping yourself on the back then, got it.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #47: Jan 28, 2016 09:08:17 am
      Bollocks. He did well when it mattered, Butland didn't. We're in the final with a shot at silverware, they won't win anything this season unless they now go on an amazing cup run which involves beating Palace at Selhurst Park in their next fixture. Teams that turn up when it matters are the ones that win things.

To challenge for league titles you need to start winning things, bringing in quality players and get the right mentality into the squad that they are capable of achieving.
      You are absolutely correct. People tend to get carried away by the occasion and forgive prior indiscretions. Mignolet was always a good shot stopper of that there was no doubt, but as an overall all round goal keeper his time at Liverpool FC has been married by one mistake after another. many here who are now praising him have in the pass slated him for them mistakes and have called for his head on more than one occasion..... I am grateful for his efforts on Tuesday night, but for me he has only in part made up for the mistake made this and last season. The sooner we bring in a batter and more competent goal keeper the better   
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2016 10:30:49 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #48: Jan 28, 2016 10:01:32 am
      Two great saves and almost saved another. Well done lad!!!

I wasn't really surprised, he's always been a great shot stopper. His problems are elsewhere.

All credit to him for getting us to the final. At the risk of sounding like a party pooper, it shouldn't save his long term career at LFC. Not good enough to be the main man I'm afraid, need a top keeper still (sorry).

Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #49: Jan 28, 2016 11:58:28 am
      credit where its due.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #50: Jan 28, 2016 02:30:17 pm
      He will get another chance on Saturday to build more confidence we really need him to put in solid performances over the next 4 months if we are going to win silverware and move up the league.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #51: Jan 28, 2016 04:41:00 pm
      Fair play to the lad, his save helped put us through to another Wembley final.

The same "lad" has cost us countless points in numerous games
      Redangel

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #52: Jan 28, 2016 04:48:29 pm

Well that will help his confidence no end!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #53: Jan 28, 2016 05:54:35 pm

Yeah, him.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #54: Jan 28, 2016 06:50:29 pm
      So the other umpteen games didn't matter? I beg to differ. He did decent enough tonight with what he had to do. A better goalkeeper might do better for their goal though. He didn't do anything stunning and had he messed any of what he had to do up, he'd have been at fault because it was all fairly routine. Did well on the penalties though, so fair play to him.

Yeh yeh yeh, try reading the op again, yes he has made mistakes in other games, but he stepped up for this one and that is what this thread is about.
      Credit where it's due, well done Migs.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #55: Jan 28, 2016 07:43:14 pm
      And Bogdan stepped up against Carlisle .
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #56: Jan 28, 2016 08:08:50 pm
      Bollocks. He did well when it mattered, Butland didn't. We're in the final with a shot at silverware, they won't win anything this season unless they now go on an amazing cup run which involves beating Palace at Selhurst Park in their next fixture. Teams that turn up when it matters are the ones that win things.

To challenge for league titles you need to start winning things, bringing in quality players and get the right mentality into the squad that they are capable of achieving.

Every game matters. Having an attitude of only certain games or situations mattering is bollocks, frankly. He made one brilliant penalty save and saved a very poor penalty. You can't show up for one game in a season and then go, "oh, it's sound, he showed up when it mattered."

Exactly this was a cup game and if you cant just enjoy the win and appreciate Simon and Joe tonight then that's just sad

I can enjoy the win while thinking some of the stuff in this thread is total nonsense. These aren't mutually exclusive things.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #57: Jan 28, 2016 08:22:05 pm
      Yep. If we win the league cup this year then players will see that on the world stage and start believing that Klopp can get the side going again elsewhere. More players will want to come and play for him because it will be all about belief and the future moving forward and they will want to win things. A domestic cup would be just the start but we've got to start somewhere. A nice domestic cup would be nice followed by a Europa League win, which would actually put us on the European stage again as a credible force and as its a competition valued more highly around Europe than in the UK, it's also one that could help bring in extra quality.

No player is going to join Liverpool because we've won the league cup. The league cup puts no one on a world stage and makes no one take notice. I can list plenty of teams that have won the league cup in the recent past that have gone onto achieve absolutely nothing, us being one of them in 2012. I want to win it as much as anyone, by the way, before someone claims that I don't. Winning the Europa League would be superb and that would leave players taking more notice especially as we'd be in the champions league, but we've seen how hard it is to win the competition. It's one thing saying we'll go on and win that, actually doing it is a very different thing.

Sorry but saving 2 penos isn't going to make me forget everything else.

1 peno was terrible the last one, you knew in his walk up he wasn't scoring. And a lot of keepers will save at least 1 of the 5 penos unless they are all of exceptional standard.

So well done on doing your job Simon. Now how about in the proper 90 minutes of a game which as far as I recall also matter how about

1) saving the first shot in a game that comes at you
      2) dominate your area
      3) Boss your defenders
      4) Catch a cross when it needs catching and is very catchable
      5) least important to me but still important, work on your distribution

steps up when it matters? It always matters

Is F***ing right.

Well that will help his confidence no end!

Will it? We've all said similar things in the past, but the reality is it probably won't. I hope it does of course, but because I'm being a misery guts in this thread, I'm going to go on and point out that even if it does cause an uplift in form, it'll only be a matter of time before he shits himself again.

I wasn't really surprised, he's always been a great shot stopper. His problems are elsewhere.

All credit to him for getting us to the final. At the risk of sounding like a party pooper, it shouldn't save his long term career at LFC. Not good enough to be the main man I'm afraid, need a top keeper still (sorry).

De Gea is a great shot stopper. Mignolet has only ever been a good one. Why has he not been saving shots this season? He has been a good shot stopper in the past, but at the moment he has zero redeeming qualities. He doesn't command his area well, he isn't saving anything, he can't kick a ball properly, etc.

Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #58: Jan 28, 2016 08:22:20 pm

I can enjoy the win while thinking some of the stuff in this thread is total nonsense. These aren't mutually exclusive things.
      [/quote]

Well Barney, you are entitled to your opinion, but still think you are missing the point of the thread.
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #59: Jan 28, 2016 08:39:53 pm
      Sorry but does not change anything for me not good enough end of .
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #60: Jan 28, 2016 08:44:30 pm
      Well Barney, you are entitled to your opinion, but still think you are missing the point of the thread.

You mean the point being the topic starter shining a sunny light up his backside to make a glorified mea culpa that Migs will neither see nor care about even if he could?
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #61: Jan 28, 2016 09:02:35 pm
      You mean the point being the topic starter shining a sunny light up his backside to make a glorified mea culpa that Migs will neither see nor care about even if he could?

If you don't like the thread , stay out of it. Think the OP was just giving him some credit for the penalty shoot out. I agree he has let us down so many times in the past, but on this occasion his saves got us through, end of !!!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #62: Jan 28, 2016 09:18:00 pm

If you don't like the thread , stay out of it. Think the OP was just giving him some credit for the penalty shoot out. I agree he has let us down so many times in the past, but on this occasion his saves got us through, end of !!!

I think the Op was drunk.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #63: Jan 28, 2016 09:38:53 pm

I'll participate in whatever thread I want thanks. Calm yourself fella.
      Redangel

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #64: Jan 28, 2016 09:47:36 pm
      At this moment in time Simon is our number 1 keeper. Now we can either slag him off continually, or we can give him credit for a good job. Some think the players don't read forums, but I'll bet some of their family/ friends do, the negativity will feed back to them.
      Shanks philosophy was, make them feel 10 feet tall and they'll play like it. Now while he's our number 1, why not make him feel 10 feet tall, just once in a while!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #65: Jan 28, 2016 09:58:28 pm
      At this moment in time Simon is our number 1 keeper. Now we can either slag him off continually, or we can give him credit for a good job. Some think the players don't read forums, but I'll bet some of their family/ friends do, the negativity will feed back to them.
      Shanks philosophy was, make them feel 10 feet tall and they'll play like it. Now while he's our number 1, why not make him feel 10 feet tall, just once in a while!

He's still sh*t. Before that match he'd faced seven shots on target and let seven goals in. Even though Stoke are offside, he should be saving that goal. He's cost us more points than he's saved us and frankly, he's a distinctly average keeper at best. He's not what Liverpool FC need if we're to challenge for Silverware and honours on a regular basis and people need to stop deluding themselves on the basis of him saving two pens in the lottery of a shoot out. We will never be successful with him as our number one keeper.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #66: Jan 28, 2016 10:36:46 pm

I agree with this in part. If we were playing like Barca but losing because Migs was throwing two in the net every game then the conclusion would be obvious. We have been decidedly average in lots of games, picking out individuals responsible for this is difficult.  Although he is rubbish at crosses.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #67: Jan 29, 2016 07:54:39 am
      Quote from Ribapuru
      In my opinion the goal Stoke scored, although it was offside I think he should have saved it and it shouldn't have got to penalties

I know it's fashionable to blame everyone's favourite scapegoat for every single goal that goes past him, but here's another example of him getting blamed for something that was not his fault. Despite the one touch, bang, clinical finish, the goal was OFFSIDE ffs. If the lino does his job, there is no problem. Blame him instead.

Bar that lino mistake, he has kept a clean sheet against them for 5 hours already this season. Not bad for someone who is apparently, a basket case. The "best keeper in the league" let in two in half an hour against them this season.

Perspective.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #68: Jan 29, 2016 08:22:53 am
      I know it's fashionable to blame everyone's favourite scapegoat for every single goal that goes past him, but here's another example of him getting blamed for something that was not his fault. Despite the one touch, bang, clinical finish, the goal was OFFSIDE ffs. If the lino does his job, there is no problem. Blame him instead.

Bar that lino mistake, he has kept a clean sheet against them for 5 hours already this season. Not bad for someone who is apparently, a basket case. The "best keeper in the league" let in two in half an hour against them this season.

Perspective.

Have a look at their saves per game and saves prior to letting a goal in to really see some perspective

Quick Reply