Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Mignolet steps up when it matters

Read 12322 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: Mignolet steps up when it matters
      Reply #69: Jan 29, 2016 09:46:33 am
      The way some talk is if we should have Neuer in goal, Pogba in midfield and Messi uptop. Yes we were the team at the level of Souness, Hansen and Dalglish but for a long time now we have also been the team at the level of Westerveld, Garcia and Morientes too.

We can't afford the highest transfer fees, we don't pay the highest wages and we have not played at the highest levels for years - we cannot moan our way to victory.

Everybody acknowledges De Gea and Courtois are better keepers so the question who we would replace him with at this time.

One of the leading candidates people have been talking about in the run-up to the match has been Butland.

On the night, Mignolet clearly outperformed Butland and has got us through to the final so to try and deny this is just nealy-mouthed.

Credit where it is due.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #70: Jan 29, 2016 10:33:43 am

so to try and deny this is just nealy-mouthed.

Credit where it is due.

Where it is ... indeed.

Mealy - mouthed I think you mean.

You'll be telling me its a typo ... again.

;D
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #71: Jan 29, 2016 11:17:41 am
      Where it is ... indeed.

Mealy - mouthed I think you mean.

You'll be telling me its a typo ... again.

;D

Warning from the mods not enough for you? I'm not engaging  - hopefully they will.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #72: Jan 29, 2016 12:02:50 pm
      I know it's fashionable to blame everyone's favourite scapegoat for every single goal that goes past him, but here's another example of him getting blamed for something that was not his fault. Despite the one touch, bang, clinical finish, the goal was OFFSIDE ffs. If the lino does his job, there is no problem. Blame him instead.

Bar that lino mistake, he has kept a clean sheet against them for 5 hours already this season. Not bad for someone who is apparently, a basket case. The "best keeper in the league" let in two in half an hour against them this season.

Perspective.

Here's some perspective for you by way of stats. Let's look at where in the league he ranks on saves per match. When the opposition attackers get through the back line, you need your keeper to be pulling off saves so it's a truer indicator of a keeper's ability rather than the defensive line in front of him which distorts clean sheets.

Saves made per match:

Davis - 5.00
      Krull - 4.13
      Foster - 4.00
      Mannone - 3.80
      Butland - 3.61
      Cech - 3.39
      Howard - 3.39
      AdriƔn - 3.36
      Guzan - 3.25
      Gomez - 2.87
      Courtois - 2.75
      Schmeichel - 2.74
      Ruddy - 2.71
      Fabianski - 2.70
      De Gea - 2.68
      Lloris - 2.55
      Boruc - 2.44
      Hart - 2.29
      Mignolet - 2.00

For some reason there are no stats available for Julian Speroni.

So when actually called upon to make a save, Mignolet is the worst keeper in the league by some distance. Sure the worse your defence, the more shots your keeper will face so is our defence any worse than any other top teams? Not according to the stats, we're pretty much on par with most of them. Arsenal, for example, have the best goal difference in the league but have made almost the same amount of clearances as we have, it's just that Cech makes more saves. I accept this isn't a sole indicator of his ability but we know he's sh*te at distribution because we've all seen it with our own eyes, we know he doesn't command his area because we've watched him stand there mute in game after game, we know he dithers because even in the first half against Stoke, he'd come out then change his mind and go back on his line leaving his defenders wondering what the F**k he's actually doing.

So yeah, perspective when viewed through the lense of official Premier League statistics is quite telling indeed. The Mong is sh*t and needs to be gone, or at least reduced to a second choice Goalkeeper and until he does, we will continue being an embarrassment at the back.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #73: Jan 29, 2016 01:27:41 pm
      Warning from the mods not enough for you? I'm not engaging  - hopefully they will.

I'll let you off   

N and M on the keyboard ?

I listen to the Mods mate ............ not you.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #74: Jan 29, 2016 02:00:00 pm
      The thread title is quite odd....Mignolet steps up when it matters....so all of those games that we lost where he was a contributer to the loss with poor play....those DIDN'T matter?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #75: Jan 29, 2016 02:24:44 pm
      Some games clearly matter more than others.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #76: Jan 29, 2016 03:15:13 pm
      I agree with others. Strange thread title, strange to have another thread for Mignolet... Mignolet still sucks. He is good at saving penalties but we need a keeper for whole matches. Benteke scored a penalty.. so I guess he's a good striker then based on the Mignolet penalty logic.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #77: Jan 29, 2016 06:46:46 pm
      Here's some perspective for you by way of stats. Let's look at where in the league he ranks on saves per match. When the opposition attackers get through the back line, you need your keeper to be pulling off saves so it's a truer indicator of a keeper's ability rather than the defensive line in front of him which distorts clean sheets.

Saves made per match:

Davis - 5.00
      Krull - 4.13
      Foster - 4.00
      Mannone - 3.80
      Butland - 3.61
      Cech - 3.39
      Howard - 3.39
      AdriƔn - 3.36
      Guzan - 3.25
      Gomez - 2.87
      Courtois - 2.75
      Schmeichel - 2.74
      Ruddy - 2.71
      Fabianski - 2.70
      De Gea - 2.68
      Lloris - 2.55
      Boruc - 2.44
      Hart - 2.29
      Mignolet - 2.00

For some reason there are no stats available for Julian Speroni.

So when actually called upon to make a save, Mignolet is the worst keeper in the league by some distance. Sure the worse your defence, the more shots your keeper will face so is our defence any worse than any other top teams? Not according to the stats, we're pretty much on par with most of them. Arsenal, for example, have the best goal difference in the league but have made almost the same amount of clearances as we have, it's just that Cech makes more saves. I accept this isn't a sole indicator of his ability but we know he's sh*te at distribution because we've all seen it with our own eyes, we know he doesn't command his area because we've watched him stand there mute in game after game, we know he dithers because even in the first half against Stoke, he'd come out then change his mind and go back on his line leaving his defenders wondering what the F**k he's actually doing.

So yeah, perspective when viewed through the lense of official Premier League statistics is quite telling indeed. The Mong is sh*t and needs to be gone, or at least reduced to a second choice Goalkeeper and until he does, we will continue being an embarrassment at the back.

There we have it...Like I said, worst keeper in the league.

The fact we have a thread made about a goalkeeper where he is being praised for saving two penalties speaks volumes about the lowered expectations we have of a goalkeeper now.

Pepe used to save penalties in his sleep, there was no 'Pepe steps up when it matters' thread, because he was never at a level low enough that we noticed when he does something right.

When Migs catches a ball coming into the box I am genuinely shocked. This isn't hyperbole, I am 100% shocked he doesn't flap or punch it. At first I was happy with this thread but over time I'm actually beginning to go 'hold on a minute' why the F**k are we using positive reenforcement here when we should be using boots and doors to solve this problem.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #78: Jan 29, 2016 06:52:51 pm
      I agree with others. Strange thread title, strange to have another thread for Mignolet... Mignolet still sucks. He is good at saving penalties but we need a keeper for whole matches. Benteke scored a penalty.. so I guess he's a good striker then based on the Mignolet penalty logic.

I always had you down as a Mignolet fan boy Ripa. Didn't realise you didn't rate him so thanks for letting us know.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #79: Jan 29, 2016 07:04:08 pm
      A thread being dedicated to Mignolet for saving a penalty, just goes to show what an utter sh*te and pitifull  exscuse for a goalkeeper he is.
      CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE? Jesus F***ing christ!!. This is almost as ridiculous as "IBE reminds me of JOHN BARNES"  Yes, a poster on here ( can't remember who but he obviously sniffs a lot of glue to get his creative juices flowing) actually said this.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #80: Jan 29, 2016 07:06:28 pm
      Think the threads kind of ran it's course now....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4881 
      Reply #81: Jan 29, 2016 07:07:33 pm
      Think the threads kind of ran it's course now....

Yep.

Maybe didn't need a separate thread but I'm not going to criticise the poster for giving credit to a keeper helping us reach another final.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #82: Jan 29, 2016 08:52:50 pm
      Yep.

Maybe didn't need a separate thread but I'm not going to criticise the poster for giving credit to a keeper helping us reach another final.

Nope, nothing wrong with the thread really, but the euphoria is over and now its just a migs bitchfest just like his official player thread.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #83: Jan 29, 2016 10:29:26 pm
      Yes, a poster on here ( can't remember who but he obviously sniffs a lot of glue to get his creative juices flowing) actually said this.
        Quote and Reply
      It's been donkeys since i saw anyone with a nose bag of evo , F**k me that's 80's sh*t .

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #84: Jan 29, 2016 11:18:13 pm
      There we have it...Like I said, worst keeper in the league.

The fact we have a thread made about a goalkeeper where he is being praised for saving two penalties speaks volumes about the lowered expectations we have of a goalkeeper now.

Pepe used to save penalties in his sleep, there was no 'Pepe steps up when it matters' thread, because he was never at a level low enough that we noticed when he does something right.

When Migs catches a ball coming into the box I am genuinely shocked. This isn't hyperbole, I am 100% shocked he doesn't flap or punch it. At first I was happy with this thread but over time I'm actually beginning to go 'hold on a minute' why the f**k are we using positive reenforcement here when we should be using boots and doors to solve this problem.

Lowering expectations?

Same could be said of you and your mollycoddling of Henderson!

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #85: Jan 30, 2016 12:06:50 am
      The way some talk is if we should have Neuer in goal, Pogba in midfield and Messi uptop. Yes we were the team at the level of Souness, Hansen and Dalglish but for a long time now we have also been the team at the level of Westerveld, Garcia and Morientes too.

We can't afford the highest transfer fees, we don't pay the highest wages and we have not played at the highest levels for years - we cannot moan our way to victory.

Everybody acknowledges De Gea and Courtois are better keepers so the question who we would replace him with at this time.

One of the leading candidates people have been talking about in the run-up to the match has been Butland.

On the night, Mignolet clearly outperformed Butland and has got us through to the final so to try and deny this is just nealy-mouthed.

Credit where it is due.

Tottenham have Lloris in goal, they pay lower wages than us. Arsenal have Cech in goal, they pay only slightly higher wages than us. This isn't a wage issue.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #86: Jan 30, 2016 12:37:44 am
      Sorry but does not change anything for me not good enough end of .

Agree, but hopefully the positive reactions he received, just might encourage him to have a blinder against the hammers today.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #87: Jan 30, 2016 01:37:34 am
      Lowering expectations?

Same could be said of you and your mollycoddling of Henderson!

So you're saying Mignolet is good enough?

This isn't a debate about Henderson. If you really want you can post something in the Henderson thread and once again I'm happy to show you how much of a moron you are there.

By all means tell me how this thread about a goalkeeper making two saves isn't lowering expectations... I like a good laugh from the village idiot now and again.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #88: Jan 30, 2016 02:05:52 am
      Tottenham have Lloris in goal, they pay lower wages than us. Arsenal have Cech in goal, they pay only slightly higher wages than us. This isn't a wage issue.

We could have had Valdes in goal but we chose Bogdan instead.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #89: Jan 30, 2016 03:46:50 am
      So you're saying Mignolet is good enough?

This isn't a debate about Henderson. If you really want you can post something in the Henderson thread and once again I'm happy to show you how much of a moron you are there.

By all means tell me how this thread about a goalkeeper making two saves isn't lowering expectations... I like a good laugh from the village idiot now and again.

Those saves helped get us to the final.

End of.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #90: Jan 30, 2016 08:59:29 am
      Quote from 5timesacharm

So when actually called upon to make a save, Mignolet is the worst keeper in the league by some distance.

The Mong is sh*t and needs to be gone, or at least reduced to a second choice Goalkeeper and until he does, we will continue being an embarrassment at the back.

So if those stats are correct, what is all the talk about been a "good shot-stopper" about?

He's adequate imo dealing with crosses, penalties, and free kicks, but corners is his major weakness, and it's cost us serious points this season. We would be top of the league if he dealt with them like he should.
      Having said that, not every goal that goes in, is his fault. But when people say he isn't good enough, they have made a judgement, and every goal (even offside ones) that goes in, merely reinforces that opinion whether he is really responsible for it or not.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #91: Jan 30, 2016 10:11:09 am
      Those saves helped get us to the final.

End of.

I've already said that. It's rather clear they helped, and yea fair play to him.

My point is does it really merit another thread. Do we need a 'Benteke steps up' thread because he scored a penalty? I don't think so. This is the only time this season he's 'stepped up' and to be honest I wouldn't call it 'stepping up' by any means. He's just done his job for once.

Quick Reply