Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad

Read 34395 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Re: The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad
      Reply #138: Feb 09, 2016 03:58:12 pm
      As frustrated as I am with the current performance of the squad I don't think we can afford another summer of 8 in 8 out.

Id go for quality over quantity, a better keeper, two really lively attacking threats who can make a difference and be the spark and then either a top CM or top CB.

Likely that Matip lad will come in, Toure will leave so that's it really for the CBs I imagine, I don't think the defence as a whole trust the keeper one bit and that makes them look worse as a unit, also if we were scoring more goals then the odd F**k up at the back wouldn't make so much of a difference.
      Two top end game changers would transform us, F**k if we could keep Sturridge fit it would transform us. The squad isn't as bad as it looks, it just needs to improve in both boxes, we need some real quality and pace in the final third and then the rest of them would look better.

We cant afford another season of ripping up and starting again, bedding in 8 new faces.

Look for quality to add to this and we will look at the whole lot differently

Agree mate.

We could ship aproins 10 out and bring 3 in and that would transform the squad.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #139: Feb 09, 2016 04:13:34 pm
      Well you believe wrong.

If Liverpool went and spent a million quid on a 25 year old from the conference, they'd be uproar. He wasn't some whipper snapper kid or somebody who'd scored a hatful in a top League.

There were people saying we were right not to pay 5 million for Deli Alli because he was basically a no mark in League 1- of course with hindsight, people deny ever saying such things.
      There is a big difference between £5m and £1m, if we had bid a Mill for him, yes there may have been a few saying it was too much but most would have said £1m is nothing for a player....
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #140: Feb 09, 2016 04:45:23 pm
      This bit throws your maths off a little but I don't think you're too far off with the idea. The problem is you're assuming that all your transfers will be a success which they generally aren't (as we well know).

In that sense a keeper is always a big risk as you're committing to him but with a net spend of only £36m (your real spend) then I think we can afford another midfielder which is where we struggle the most. Defensive midfield has been an issue for us for the longest time, when Lucas is injured or a has a drop in form or simply needs subbing off we have nobody. Lucas is the absolute ideal type to drop down to 2nd  choice, he'd be happy enough playing in the cups and getting the odd start here and there.

I'd probably look to get a commander in there, not naming any names because the ones that spring to my mind are far too expensive but someone with vocal leadership and with stature about them. Add that to your list for even £20m and we're still massively in budget for what we should have to spend this season (better commercially, cup runs, tv deal, stadium improvements etc, etc).

Ha! Should hv copied that £23m from somewhere else. But yeah, not saying we gonna need the exact players mentioned but someone with a very similar profile. The idea is get those 4-5 damn good players and we'll look at assessing other areas over the next few windows.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #141: Feb 09, 2016 04:48:43 pm
      It is probably impossible to get rid of as many players as we need to in one transfer window and I genuinely thought the team Dalglish and Rodgers took over was sh*t, this team rivals them. It is a bigger squad but a bigger squad filled with players that will keep Liverpool struggling mid table.

Goalkeepers
      Bogdan has only had a handful of games and in those handful he's made a handful of mistakes and needs moving on. All the teams we are competing with now seem to have a well known top reserve. The likes of Begovic, Ospina and Vorm come to mind.
      Mignolet. I'd personally carry his suitcase, put him on my back and walk back to Sunderland with him. How he got a contract mid way throgh this season with all the mistakes he makes is beyond belief.

Defenders
      Toure is a likeable guy and true pro but was past it in about 2009.
      Caulker will obviously leave in the summer.
      Ilori has been here for ages, couldn't cut it on loan so another no brainer sell.
      Wisdom I really thought when he first came through was a monster but his progress has not been good enough and if he can't get into teams on loan then what is the point?
      Skrtel/Lovren/Sakho I put in the same category. All decent defenders who can show great form but will ALWAYS F**k up eventually. You can't sell all three so maybe pick straws to see which two can stay. Sakho probably the best?
      Moreno. The penalty he gave away at Norwich perfectly sums this lad up. Has absolutely no idea how to defend and is capable of anything going forward. I think he has all the attributes to make a cracking player and wouldn't sell just yet but he cannot be our 1st choice left back at the moment.

Midfielders
      Lucas has been a great servant and I like him a lot but ruling with head over heart his time is up.
      Rossiter will more thank likely follow the same path as Spearing. Hang around the 1st team for a while because he's a Scouser and eventually leave for the likes of Bolton.
      Lallana at this stage is never going to prove to be a good buy for the price we paid. A nearly man. Shows nice touches here and there but the end result is almost always not there,
      Allen we should probably keep as a squad player but I wouldn't lose a nights sleep if he was sold.

Attackers
      Origi is a good little player with potential but won't be starting regularly anytime soon and would probably benefit from a loan stint but loan him to a Premiership club.
      Sturridge is clearly when fit and firing a potentially world class striker. Was out injured for yonks comes into the team at Southampton and bags two. Would give this lad every opportunity to prove his fitness because we are that desperate. Himself and Coutinho are the only genuine top class players in the squad.
      Benteke cost so much that we have to trust he can show some of that Villa form.

Basically as a starting team there are a lot of gaps:

GK

Clyne   CB    Sakho   LB

DM
              Henderson  Can

Firmino     ST     Coutinho
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #142: Feb 09, 2016 06:18:21 pm
            GK

Clyne   CB    Sakho   LB

DM
              Henderson  Can

Firmino     ST     Coutinho

I never want to see a formation that has a front three with Coutinho in it. He's a midfielder. The front three should only consist of strikers. I'm also not convinced Sakho makes the cut even pre-injury. Our expectations of what a good defender actually looks like have been so diminished by Skrtel and Lovren that Sakho has become over rated. He's not a bad player, he's just not the standard we've traditionally enjoyed.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #143: Feb 09, 2016 06:27:17 pm
      I never want to see a formation that has a front three with Coutinho in it. He's a midfielder. The front three should only consist of strikers. I'm also not convinced Sakho makes the cut even pre-injury. Our expectations of what a good defender actually looks like have been so diminished by Skrtel and Lovren that Sakho has become over rated. He's not a bad player, he's just not the standard we've traditionally enjoyed.

I think this is a fair point.

I'm definitely guilty of over-rating him. I thought before his recent injuries he could develop into one of the best in the league, looks a relatively foolish assessment now. I've actually always been quite a fan of his passing, it had a crispness to it, of course he looks like a giraffe on skates while executing it but given his pass % and it was primarily him who moved us forward into midfield with his passing I was encouraged by that. His tackling always looked ungainly but it seemed relatively effective, in the air I've actually been wowed by him on the odd occasion where he steps in front and literally chests the ball at head height from the attack, my only real worry on a consistent basis was set-pieces which to be fair to Mama is a worry with every single player in our team judging by our record on them.

His attitude is first class towards the fans and certain sections, so he ticks so many of the boxes but...

The way he's come back from this injury, dear lord he's been diabolical. It's almost like someone put a pair of glasses on me that brought him into sharp focus, can't stop seeing errors in the lad. Now I'm hoping it's a temporary blip but this is a prolonged period now and it has me quickly losing faith in him.

So right now I'd love to see a total change in GK/CB/CB and just start fresh. Too much lingering on the past, too much incompetence and inconsistency at least with a clean slate we could have a base level to move from.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #144: Feb 09, 2016 06:40:37 pm
      A few people on here saying all we need is a half decent GK and a CF who can bang them in and we'll be right up there. God knows what you've been watching for the past two seasons but you're deluded if you genuinely believe this current squad can challenge with the additions of just one or two bits of quality. We need several new players.

Mignolet - Worst number 1 we've ever had. Needs to go. But as we've just offered him a 5 year deal the best we can hope for is for him to be our number 2. WE DESPERATELY NEED A NEW GK.

Clyne - In my opinion he is good enough and have no problem with him being our RB.

Moreno - Rash. Makes several mistakes each game. Its a myth he is good at going forward because his final pass or crossing is often dreadful - he is just super fast which clouds peoples judgment. He isn't the best at defending either. I'd have him in the squad and think he would be a decent back up option. Other areas need strengthening first and are more of a priority but we definitely need a new left back.

Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren, Toure -  It speaks volumes that a steady partnership has never been formed between any of them. They are all as clumsy and inconsistent as each other. Our opinions are divided amongst these four, for example a lot of people rate skrtel but I think he is bloody awful and has been the centre of our defensive woes for many years now. I personally have a soft spot for sakho but many think he is awful too. But at least two of these will be going in the summer (my moneys on sakho and toure). One will probably keep his place in the first 11 (my moneys on skrtel) and the other will be a backup option (my moneys on Lovren).  WE DESPERATELY NEED A RELIABLE CONSISTENT CENTRE HALF WHO IS ONE OF THE FIRST NAMES ON THE TEAM SHEET THOUGH.

Gomez - Looked very promising before he got injured. Probably a bit young and inexperienced to play every week for us though. Certainly a very strong squad player.

Lucas, Hendo, Allen, Can, Milner - Haven't got a creative bone between them. I'd keep Lucas because of his experience and the role he plays which nobody else can master. But he can't play every week for us, he is a squad player.  Personally I'd be happy to sell the other four tomorrow but I imagine Hendo and Can will stay, one being a starter (my moneys on hendo) and the other a squad player (my moneys on can), and I think both Milner and Allen will leave.  AGAIN, WE DESPERATELY NEED A REALIABLE CONSISTENT CENTRE MID WHO HAS A BIT OF QUALITY AND A SET OF BALLS.

Lallana, Ibe  - both have played enough games for us but neither have scored enough or made enough assists. Due to his age id keep Ibe as a squad player. Id sell Lallana tomorrow.  We need TWO wide men.

Markovic - Another one who has divided opinion but I saw enough of him before he came here, and even glimpses of him in a red shirt, to suggest there is a talented player in there. Id definitely have him in the squad.

Coutinho, Firmino - Need to build the team around these two but I don't know how you fit both of them in the same 11 when they play the same position. Coutinho is wasted out on the left.

Benteke, Ballotelli, Origi - None fit in with the way we play football. All need to go.

Sturridge, Ings - Sturridge has obviously got the talent but his injury record is shockingly bad. Ings will give 100% every game but probably lacks that bit of world class talent. Both squad players. WE DESPERATELY NEED TO BRING IN A TOP CLASS CENTRE FORWARD.

So basically, we need a whole new spine. We need a GK, a CB, a CM and a CF! We need TWO wide men.  Six players we urgently need in my opinion. We might not get what we paid for certain players but we will still get a decent wedge for them.

We paid 32.5m for Benteke and ok we will never see that again but somebody somewhere will take a gamble on him for 20m presuming they can afford his wages.

We paid 15m for Allen and we might not get that full 15 back but he is a welsh international, will be involved at the euros, still a very young age. Somebody will buy him for 10.

We signed Milner on a free and he is a England international, will be involved at the euros, he is 30 so in his prime, experienced and has medals on his cv. He would go for anywhere between 15 and 20m.

We paid 20m for Lovren and 17m for Sakho. Both internationals, both mid twenties, again both will be involved at the euros. We will get 15 for Lovren and probably the same for Sakho.

Lallana was signed for 25m. We will never see that again but I'm sure somebody would take him for 15-20m.

Somebody somewhere will take Balotelli off our hands for 10m. Somebody always does!  Origi will go for 7-8m. The lad is only 20.

Sturridge could possibly go for 20m.

They money in the PL now is ridiculous and all 20 teams have it. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see a few mid table teams or even promoted teams having a bid or two for some of our players.

Agree entirely the defensive issues we have had since Rafa left have been pathetic there has to be a goal keeper CB and DM in the summer.
      Sturridge has enough time left to prove he is capable of playing a full part in a full season or he has to go as well. The problem then exists who is going to identify them and not pay way over the top for them
      handbrake2
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #145: Feb 12, 2016 06:46:56 pm
      I do agree that we need players during the next window and that 4 should be enough. My feeling, however is that we should shift Coutinho into central midfield. This will solve 2 problems: 1 - we immediate become more creative from deep. 2 - we then bring in a winger who can provide us with genuine width on that side. We would also need a dominant DM to partnetr Coutinho, another goal scoring winger and a real GK.
      If it were my money, our starting 11 would look like this next season.
      Ter Stegen
      Clyne - Lovren - Skrtel - Smith
      Neves - Coutinho
      Mahrez - Firmino - Reus
      Sturridge
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #146: Feb 12, 2016 06:53:44 pm
      You know your season is fu**ed when the 'summer clear out' thread is high on the agenda
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #147: Feb 12, 2016 07:16:03 pm
      I do agree that we need players during the next window and that 4 should be enough. My feeling, however is that we should shift Coutinho into central midfield. This will solve 2 problems: 1 - we immediate become more creative from deep. 2 - we then bring in a winger who can provide us with genuine width on that side. We would also need a dominant DM to partnetr Coutinho, another goal scoring winger and a real GK.
      If it were my money, our starting 11 would look like this next season.
      Ter Stegen
      Clyne - Lovren - Skrtel - Smith
      Neves - Coutinho
      Mahrez - Firmino - Reus
      Sturridge

Coutinho as a DM, Sturridge being fit and us getting Reus - are you crazy?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #148: Feb 12, 2016 08:30:45 pm
      I watched the Chelsea / Utd game yesterday and both their goalkeepers it could be argued saved them from defeat and gained the points.

Has to be top priority in the summer.

It is said that Migs costs us a minimum 15 points. Wouldnt disagree.

Wingers ? What are they ? No one has even thought about getting pace back into the team.
      Sherwood said "Feed The Beast " where Benteke was concerned.
      No ..... he cant even score with an open goal and I believe his time with us is limited but he hardly has got the service.

All our conquering teams from the past had wingers.
      In my time when I first went to Anfield it was Cally and Thompson charging down each wing towards the Kop with a Toshack or Hateley in the middle.
      There was always a Keegan lurking for the knock down.

We need a Robben. A Duracell winger who just keeps popping them in.

Before that ?
      A new spine.   GK /    DM  /  and Striker
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #149: Feb 12, 2016 08:35:44 pm
      I think this is a fair point.

I'm definitely guilty of over-rating him. I thought before his recent injuries he could develop into one of the best in the league, looks a relatively foolish assessment now. I've actually always been quite a fan of his passing, it had a crispness to it, of course he looks like a giraffe on skates while executing it but given his pass % and it was primarily him who moved us forward into midfield with his passing I was encouraged by that. His tackling always looked ungainly but it seemed relatively effective, in the air I've actually been wowed by him on the odd occasion where he steps in front and literally chests the ball at head height from the attack, my only real worry on a consistent basis was set-pieces which to be fair to Mama is a worry with every single player in our team judging by our record on them.

His attitude is first class towards the fans and certain sections, so he ticks so many of the boxes but...

The way he's come back from this injury, dear lord he's been diabolical. It's almost like someone put a pair of glasses on me that brought him into sharp focus, can't stop seeing errors in the lad. Now I'm hoping it's a temporary blip but this is a prolonged period now and it has me quickly losing faith in him.

So right now I'd love to see a total change in GK/CB/CB and just start fresh. Too much lingering on the past, too much incompetence and inconsistency at least with a clean slate we could have a base level to move from.

I got lambasted on here for criticising the lad but for me Sakho has never cut it Luke.

Like Ive posted ..... his positioning (and therefore responsibility for some of the goals ) has been ridiculous.
      Chuck in 9 points ......on his back ...... for lost games and it  wouldn't be far amiss.
      Kopite78
      Reply #150: Feb 12, 2016 09:12:17 pm
      I got lambasted on here for criticising the lad but for me Sakho has never cut it Luke.

Like Ive posted ..... his positioning (and therefore responsibility for some of the goals ) has been ridiculous.
      Chuck in 9 points ......on his back ...... for lost games and it  wouldn't be far amiss.

He has been really really poor since he has come back in from his latest injury, no doubt ER.

The thing I'm not sure of though mate, and I genuinely can't decide, is that when I've watched him especially early on Sakho came across as a front foot defender, go and win it high up for a cb.. But he seems to be defending a deeper line recently, look at the Defoe goal as one example, he was deeper than I'd expect to allow Defoe to take it in and get the shot away..

Now is that being brought on by lack of confidence in his keeper? Because he doesn't know what the keepers natural position is? He has no trust in him and it's making him drop deeper which is against his natural game and then making him look a poor version of himself..

I just don't see confidence of the keeper from the defence and that's making them look worse imo
      How many times have we seen players giving him bollockings in recent weeks? Hendo was literally questioning him over the position of the wall for the first goal against Sunderland Saturday and the look a few of them have him after it went in said a lot.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #151: Feb 12, 2016 10:40:01 pm
      I think most on here know my thoughts on the squad and I think we don't need another summer of rebuilding.

If I was in charge of transfers and was working with Jürgen I would be looking at signing four players this summer, with the likelihood we have Grujic and Matip, and only shipping out those players that haven't been used much this season.

I'd buy the following

GK

CB

CM

ST

Nothing more than that.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #152: Feb 12, 2016 10:42:18 pm
      I think most on here know my thoughts on the squad and I think we don't need another summer of rebuilding.

If I was in charge of transfers and was working with Jürgen I would be looking at signing four players this summer, with the likelihood we have Grujic and Matip, and only shipping out those players that haven't been used much this season.

I'd buy the following

GK

CB

CM

ST

Nothing more than that.

Yup I agree on this...bring back Markovic from loan..promote a couple up from the kids and buy QUALITY at the 4 positions you mentioned.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #153: Feb 12, 2016 10:45:16 pm

That what I mean mate.

We don't need to F**k about buying 8/9 players.

We have a squad and along with Grujic and Matip on a free we should go out and buy for the four positions I listed but make sure we buy the best we can get.

It doesn't have to be the most expensive just the best player we can find that we feel improves the spine of our side.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #154: Feb 12, 2016 11:16:26 pm

I'd buy the following

GK

CB

CM

ST

Nothing more than that.

I can see a fair few leaving Si but I agree we don't need more than 3 or 4 players in.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #155: Feb 12, 2016 11:22:08 pm
      I can see a fair few leaving Si but I agree we don't need more than 3 or 4 players in.

I can easily see around 10 leaving Debs and many we wouldn't even miss.

Enrique
      Toure
      Bogdan
      Sinclair
      Wisdom

There's 5 just for starters.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #156: Feb 12, 2016 11:36:15 pm

Enrique
      Toure
      Bogdan
      Sinclair
      Wisdom

I don't think many of what most consider the starting 11 is will be leaving but they will drop to the bench.  You can add Alberto, Balotelli and Caulker to that list, so that's 8 already that won't be missed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #157: Feb 12, 2016 11:38:36 pm

Enrique
      Toure
      Bogdan
      Sinclair
      Wisdom

I reckon you would miss Alberto!

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #158: Feb 13, 2016 10:05:08 am
      there is another Neuer, Suarez, Sami and Gerrard out there somewhere but we need our Committee to leave St Marys stadium and actually get out there and the Euro's are the perfect chance to see the best talent in Europe all in one location.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #159: Feb 13, 2016 11:32:44 am
      We need to decide on a formation, put the players that naturally play in that formation/position in the team and fill in the blank spaces.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #160: Feb 13, 2016 12:02:57 pm
      Still think we need a genuine winger who can get behind full backs as we have no one who can cross bar Smith

Quick Reply