Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad

Read 34549 times
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Re: The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad
      Reply #207: Apr 30, 2016 11:56:12 am
      I think your numbers are on on the Definite outs except for Lucas who I doubt is going anywhere,,,we will see on Sahko

Why you want to just dump Markovic (who should fit the high pace style) and Lovren (Who has looked so much better) and Allen (who would be fantastic) from the bench is beyond me and probably Jürgen too.

I think Lucas is on the decline and going forward we will need someone who is a better midfielder - more dynamic and has more energy. I question if Klopp is a Markovic fan (as he does not mention him at all from what i can recall) - although he does have good pace and energy. While Lovren has had some better performances of late, he has still done some errors, does not seem to command the area and his bad performances outweigh the good ones by about 6 - .
      Allen has been better of late and gives as good as he has got on the pitch, but like Lucas i think he is generally not good enough.

we cant keep all these central midfielders and purchase new ones on top - we have to let some go in order to replace them.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #208: Apr 30, 2016 02:33:21 pm
      Let's be straight here (I wouldn't want anyone twisting my words - either intentionally or through sheer stupidity)... I never mentioned money or F***ing cost... I did mention "ready-made quality".

The type of player that Luis, Stevie and B.R. were referencing - James Milner (IMO) has been our most consistent player this season. He was "ready made quality". He was free.

It shouldn't matter two sweet fucks, to any football fan, that he was free as long as he improves the F***ing team. Why any mealy-mouthed fuckwit would need to dispute that is beyond me.  :laugh:

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #209: Apr 30, 2016 02:39:07 pm
      Haha that's partly my fault, maybe should have worded it a bit better.

I mean that once we've covered the main important/urgent positions we should use whatever money we have left to focus on any areas of lesser impottance should we have any money left.

But yeah I agree with the youngsters and the good news is... It looks like they're going to get a fair chance with Jürgen in charge.

Let's hope some of them grab their opportunity with both hands and don't let it go.

:gt-happyup:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #210: Apr 30, 2016 02:43:57 pm
      So in a sense those saying he won't go for, or are happy to not get your typical big named signings could well be right.
      Oh they might well be right, in fact they're pinning their hopes on it. That's the F***ing point.  :lmao:

Under previous managers and regimes the same folk, (who are now pretending to revel in the thought of signing unknowns and kids), demanded the big names: they don't now simply because they don't believe Jürgen will sign any. So... not wanting to be seen to be at odds with Jürgen - they have changed a once hard held opinion in the blink of an eye.

It's funny as F**k.  :laugh:

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #211: Apr 30, 2016 02:49:59 pm
      Oh they might well be right, in fact they're pinning their hopes on it. That's the F***ing point.  :lmao:

Under previous managers and regimes the same folk (who are now reveling in the thought of signing unknowns and kids) demanded the big names: they aren't now because they don't believe Jürgen will sign any so... not wanting to be seen to be at odds with Jürgen - they have changed a once hard held opinion.

It's funny as F**k.  :laugh:

I know people will point to Leicester as evidence that it can be done on the cheap, but I'll bet my house Leicester will not challenge regularly for the title, which is what we hope to do in the coming years. The teams with the best players are the teams that will challenge consistently, the best players generally cost a few quid. I fully support Jürgen, but if he intends shopping in the bargin basement all the time, I'll strongly disagree with his approach.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #212: Apr 30, 2016 03:12:35 pm
      but if he intends shopping in the bargin basement all the time, I'll strongly disagree with his approach.
      Fair enough buddy... there's a high degree of consistency there. You, me and most fans, (whether they admit it or not), know that the owners have [hopefully had] a clear policy on transfers - profit before ability. I'll never accept that policy... irrespective of who's boss.

Fingers crossed Jürgen has convinced the owners that, as 'history' proves - It's not a viable strategy for sustained success.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #213: Apr 30, 2016 03:34:15 pm
      I know people will point to Leicester as evidence that it can be done on the cheap, but I'll bet my house Leicester will not challenge regularly for the title, which is what we hope to do in the coming years. The teams with the best players are the teams that will challenge consistently, the best players generally cost a few quid. I fully support Jürgen, but if he intends shopping in the bargin basement all the time, I'll strongly disagree with his approach.

If he spends as much as TPM but uses his money wisely we will get quality players.

Let's not forget, last summer we spent the best part of 60 Mil on 2 players in Firmino and Benteke.

The season before we spent the best part of 60 Mil on 3 players in Lovren, Lallana and Markovic.

We also spent roughly a further 50 Mil on Balotelli, Moreno, Origi and Can in the same season.

For the money we have spent on certain players in the past there simply has to be loads of players with much more quality available.

We just need to buy smarter this time. There is plenty of great players for the prices we regularly pay... We just never venture out of England to find them.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #214: Apr 30, 2016 03:51:05 pm
      Fair enough buddy... there's a high degree of consistency there. You, me and most fans, (whether they admit it or not), know that the owners have [hopefully had] a clear policy on transfers - profit before ability. I'll never accept that policy... irrespective of who's boss.

Fingers crossed Jürgen has convinced the owners that, as 'history' proves - It's not a viable strategy for sustained success.

Sustained Success being the key words. This means improving the squad season on season, replacing outgoing players with better players. We haven't done this properly since Kenny's first reign ended.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #215: Apr 30, 2016 10:10:40 pm
      Migs maybe worst keeper ever
      Ibe going backwards during key time of development
      Skrtel probably our worst defender I seen.
      Henderson riding on a reputation where he played well with Suarez in the side.
      Benteke.. he is just another Andy Caroll.
      Caulker he is hardly used, I think he is under rated and his loan will run out.
      Enrique.. what is the point now? he is last choice and probably deserves to be.
      Sinclair can go, he wants to go and he is not even that good.
      Can't disagree with any of the players named here
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2016 09:12:31 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #216: May 01, 2016 01:45:33 am
      i would rather a mass clearout this summer and a rebuild rather than it happening like it has done for past few seasons where there has been a turn around of about 4-5 in and 4-5 out.

definite out (i hope) - Balotelli, Benteke, Skrtel, Enrique, Kolo, Sinclair, Bogdan, Caulker, LLori, Tiexeira, Lucas, Wisdom, Alberto, Sakho & Ian Ayre

closer to out than in - Markovic, Ibe, Lovren, Mignolet, Allen

in - Goal Keeper, Left Back, 2 X Centre Back, 2 Midfielders, 1 Attacker/Striker

What? If anything, we've done it the other way around. We signed 8 players in 14/15 (9 including Origi) and 7 this summer.

If Milner is first choice in a midfield two after the summer window closes, I'll walk around Liverpool naked singing YNWA. He should be no more than a squad player.

Migs maybe worst keeper ever
      Ibe going backwards during key time of development
      Skrtel probably our worst defender I seen.
      Henderson riding on a reputation where he played well with Suarez in the side.
      Benteke.. he is just another Andy Caroll.
      Caulker he is hardly used, I think he is under rated and his loan will run out.
      Enrique.. what is the point now? he is last choice and probably deserves to be.
      Sinclair can go, he wants to go and he is not even that good.

Yes, Mignolet is the worst keeper ever. That's definitely true. That's definitely not an over-exaggeration. Not in the slightest.
      The only way you can call Skrtel the worst defender you've seen, is if you've only watched us this season.
      Henderson was excellent last season too. He's been playing most of this season with an injury.
      Benteke has been significantly better than Carroll. He's contributed more in terms of goals, especially when you consider the games each of them played.
      Enrique will obviously go.

I think Lucas is on the decline and going forward we will need someone who is a better midfielder - more dynamic and has more energy. I question if Klopp is a Markovic fan (as he does not mention him at all from what i can recall) - although he does have good pace and energy. While Lovren has had some better performances of late, he has still done some errors, does not seem to command the area and his bad performances outweigh the good ones by about 6 - .
      Allen has been better of late and gives as good as he has got on the pitch, but like Lucas i think he is generally not good enough.

we cant keep all these central midfielders and purchase new ones on top - we have to let some go in order to replace them.

Klopp has said that he wanted to give Markovic a chance and he tried to recall him in January.

Name the goals that Lovren has cost us under Klopp.

Lucas is a good squad player. He'll also help keep the rest of the Brazilian contingent happy and he's one of our leaders.

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #217: May 01, 2016 02:10:38 am
      If he spends as much as TPM but uses his money wisely we will get quality players.

Let's not forget, last summer we spent the best part of 60 Mil on 2 players in Firmino and Benteke.

The season before we spent the best part of 60 Mil on 3 players in Lovren, Lallana and Markovic.

We also spent roughly a further 50 Mil on Balotelli, Moreno, Origi and Can in the same season.

For the money we have spent on certain players in the past there simply has to be loads of players with much more quality available.

We just need to buy smarter this time. There is plenty of great players for the prices we regularly pay... We just never venture out of England to find them.

agreed.

also - for some of our signings it is clear to see that they are either not good enough for the money i.e Lovren, Lallana or clearly not fit to play any system we have been trying to play for past few seasons i.e Balotelli and Benteke
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #218: May 01, 2016 08:58:37 am

Not if his Hide and Seek skills of the last few windows are anything to go by.

It's as if he hides in a Melwood cupboard and reappears a week after deadline day by sneaking back into the middle of a team jog with none of us even noticing he was gone.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #219: May 01, 2016 09:40:32 am
      As the topic starter I've had a look at my opening post to review my thoughts from February. 

My view then was to strip the squad, that currently stands at 53 players, back to 15-18 senior regulars and use the best of our youth to make up the rest but with the injuries we've suffered and the fact that we've more or less had 2 games every week all season maybe that's a bit too much.

There will be natural wastage as quite a few are out of contract this summer and some that I thought could go have become mainstays in Jurgens regular starting 11.  I still believe there will be many more that leave than come in but we have such a bloated squad, numbers wise, that most of them haven't featured much, if at all, even on the bench.

These are my definites to go

Bogdan
      Ilori
      Enrique
      Wisdom
      McLaughlin
      Caulker
      Tex
      Alberto
      Balotelli
      Dunn
      Yesil
      Sinclair

These are my possibles

Toure
      Skrtel
      Lucas
      Allen
      Benteke

Tadders

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #220: May 01, 2016 02:10:44 pm
      Some experts should be behind bars for the sh*te we have paid for.

Scout players better.

The whole team today bar sturridge, Clyne ojo, Couts and maybe ward
      Mattie 84
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #221: May 01, 2016 02:30:12 pm
      Hoping for a positive transfer window in the summer, hopefully nae f*cking about get them signed early, if any of our targets have a descent euros plus the fact that were a legendary club the price will rocket even more,
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #222: May 01, 2016 05:15:32 pm
      What? If anything, we've done it the other way around. We signed 8 players in 14/15 (9 including Origi) and 7 this summer.

If Milner is first choice in a midfield two after the summer window closes, I'll walk around Liverpool naked singing YNWA. He should be no more than a squad player.

Yes, Mignolet is the worst keeper ever. That's definitely true. That's definitely not an over-exaggeration. Not in the slightest.
      The only way you can call Skrtel the worst defender you've seen, is if you've only watched us this season.
      Henderson was excellent last season too. He's been playing most of this season with an injury.
      Benteke has been significantly better than Carroll. He's contributed more in terms of goals, especially when you consider the games each of them played.
      Enrique will obviously go.

Klopp has said that he wanted to give Markovic a chance and he tried to recall him in January.

Name the goals that Lovren has cost us under Klopp.

Lucas is a good squad player. He'll also help keep the rest of the Brazilian contingent happy and he's one of our leaders.

i did not recall what Klopp said in Jan about Markovic -if he comes in then fine. I still would not be shocked if he was sold

Lovren has cost us plenty of goals since he has come here - was there a reset button since klopp arrived? he has been less of a mess of late - but equally is a key part of the horror defence we have at present that ship in dreadful goals.  There are loads of examples of poor defending - Harry Kane turned him like a door n*b, he was in no mans land against villareal, no mans land for the first dortmund goal at home...loads of other examples

Lucas is on the decline, he just does not have what is needed anymore and seems like the old man in the nightclub when hes on the pitch. We dont need him to be the Brazilian peoples tour guide or go to person.

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #223: May 02, 2016 12:14:51 am
      Lucas be on decline since he join club he and few more like him reason we ve midtable for years
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #224: May 02, 2016 12:20:13 am
      Lucas be on decline since he join club he and few more like him reason we ve midtable for years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBiVJXu037o
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #225: May 02, 2016 12:22:38 am
      I not allowed have point view you think Lucas worldclass you keephim
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #226: May 02, 2016 12:25:37 am
      I not allowed have point view you think Lucas worldclass you keephim

You're allowed your point of view, much like I'm allowed to think your POV is bullshit, or am I not allowed my POV?
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #227: May 02, 2016 12:26:31 am
      Roddenberry you happy with Lucas he slow can't score keep fouling players
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #228: May 02, 2016 12:29:14 am
      I just what our club be back on top again sick see us in midtable players like Lucas etc won't get us their l think kloop move him on be sold
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #229: May 02, 2016 12:36:37 am
      I just what our club be back on top again sick see us in midtable players like Lucas etc won't get us their l think kloop move him on be sold

I don't see a long term future for Lucas myself. Great servant to the club and who knows what he could have done had he not been taken down by injury. But personally he just takes a bit too long to get into his stride these days. I think he's had quality periods that have been interrupted by injury but we are probably in that window where he may be moved on.

Quick Reply