Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad

Read 34545 times
      TheForge
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Re: The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad
      Reply #23: Feb 03, 2016 11:22:26 pm

Joel Campbell. Could be wrong here but think he's a free agent in the summer. Paced and exciting the kind of signing our fan base would sneer at only to watch him do great at another club.

You don't want this kind of guy on your team:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YfA0Zn3vK4
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #24: Feb 03, 2016 11:25:33 pm

Suarez would have done worse   :D

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #25: Feb 03, 2016 11:27:25 pm
      To put it in comic book lingo, this squad has too many Alfreds and Robins and not enough Batmen.
      Don't forget the joker and the penguin .

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #26: Feb 03, 2016 11:53:23 pm
      It's going to, as always, come down to money.

We could easily have a clear out, and F***ing hell do we need one, but the sort of money we spent on these players makes it a lot harder to just ship them off. Are we gonna take a 10 million loss on Lovren? 15 on Lallana? 20 on Benteke? especially after we took around a 15 million loss on Downing and around 20 million on Carroll - eventually FSG are going to want to a return on their investments. But because we've spent so much on them, getting that back as a return is nigh on impossible.

Then, there's who the F**k is gonna want these players and give them the sort of wages we pay. Enrique proved that the other day. F**k first team football at Newcastle, I'd rather get a bigger pay cheque at Liverpool. Borini proved it, F**k playing for Sunderland, I'm gonna stay on double the wages at Liverpool and just claim to "fight for my place...even though the manager has made it abundantly clear that I have no future at Liverpool."

The clubs who can afford the prices we paid and the wages we dish up to these players, aren't going to want them because they're not good enough for top clubs. To be totally honest, even midtable sides like West Ham and Stoke, who've both spent a fair bit recently, would be hard pushed to want them.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #27: Feb 04, 2016 12:01:08 am
      Theres a 'summer clear out' 'dead wood' thread every six months.

This is exhausting ;D
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #28: Feb 04, 2016 12:03:50 am
      Theres a 'summer clear out' 'dead wood' thread every six months.

This is exhausting ;D
      It's a cold winter and we need to keep ourselves warm by burning the deadwood .

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #29: Feb 04, 2016 12:33:10 am
      To put it in comic book lingo, this squad has too many Alfreds and Robins and not enough Batmen. Too many supporting roles, not enough stars. Get 2-3 higher quality players into the side and we look much better overall -- not title contenders by any means, but at least within touching distance of 4th. 

We absolutely need a clear out, but we also have some solid squad players that will nicely complement the top class players (should we ever sign them).

Could not agree more. We have the instruments, but not the musicians.

Imagine a conductor for the middle, a pass master dictating the tempo and controlling from deep, making those long raking passes out wide to our energetic full backs (Clyne & Moreno), those through balls into our inside forwards/strikers (Ings, Origi, Sturridge) from deep, or for our midfielder making those late runs into the box(Hendo or Can). A player that can also collect the ball from the center backs  and feed it short into our attacking creative player (Coutinho or Firmino) that happens to be in those pocket of space left by the opposition midfield. What a difference Panjic DLPM can make, and what a difference it would make if we had our mobile forwards fit.

Just 3 players that can change the whole complexion of our attack and possibly better defensively because we'll be able to control that midfield. I just mentioned 1 buy and having Ings, Origi or Sturridge fit. Imagine what 2 more key players can do? maybe even 3?!?! I don't think our squad is that far away from challenging, we have just been very unlucky in injures this season :(
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #30: Feb 04, 2016 12:54:31 am
      This is just regurgitation of OR's thread: http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,48363.0.html
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #31: Feb 04, 2016 01:03:12 am
      Summer clearout, would these include our coaches and general backroom staff also?

If so, we could be here a while.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #32: Feb 04, 2016 04:26:42 pm
      The interesting thing is that if we had Luis Suarez spearheading our attack, we'd be right near the top of the league.  It's true that most of our expensive players are underperforming, and yet we're still only 1 or 2 world class players away from the teams at the top....
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #33: Feb 04, 2016 11:25:03 pm
       I'd sell: Mignolet, Bogdan, Toure, Skrtel, Ilori, Allen, Milner, Lallana, Benteke, Balotelli, Wisdom, Enrique and Alberto. We'd probably get good money for Lallana, Benteke, and Allen. I'd try and sign a goalkeeper, that Matip lad or another lad on a free to come in at centre back, a centre midfielder, two wide players, and a striker. Six signings might be a bit excessive, however, so maybe only buy one wide lad and take a chance on Ojo, Kent, or Wilson as being good enough to be the sixth.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #34: Feb 05, 2016 09:23:40 am
      All talk of getting rid of a dozen players is silly, it simply isn't going to happen. Teams won't want to pay anywhere near what we paid, we won't be prepared to swallow the loss, and the players won't get contracts at their destinations which match what they're on at Liverpool. It'd be different if Man City or Chelsea were coming for them, but that won't happen.

Our situation is hardly unique though, it happens all the time at football clubs throughout the land. Pochetino when he took over at Spurs inherited an under-performing bunch of players who had been bought with "spunked" money from the sale of a star player. He didn't "bin the lot of them" he put together a style of play which allowed them to prosper as a team. From there, he has been able to ship out the likes of Gylffi Siggurdsen, Andros Townsend and the like, while supplementing what he already had with some astute buys (the outstanding one of which we ought to have signed really had we been prepared to pay 5 million quid). Whoever takers over at Man Utd will have a bunch of players who are Markovic lookalikes, same to a lesser or greater extent at Chelsea.

No, what needs to happen is we need to bring in three quality players, hopefully out of four or five buys (nobody gets all of them spot on). That would make a huge difference, then we need to get the players we already have, playing better. Since the beginning of time that's how you build a squad and a football club, it's not supermarket sweep funded by you "taking back and returning" players which you've bought in the past who aren't playing well.   
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #35: Feb 05, 2016 09:55:31 am
      There is no way there are going to be wholesale changes the way everyone is hoping. If you think we can clear a team of largely mediocre players then go out and replace them with superstars then you’re wrong.

My main moves in the transfer market would be to ship out Balotelli and Benteke and spend that entire amount on a new striker (especially with the wages that would free up) also get in a new centre back. Just spend big on two players for once rather than signing 15 £10m players.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36: Feb 05, 2016 10:21:23 am
      All talk of getting rid of a dozen players is silly, it simply isn't going to happen. Teams won't want to pay anywhere near what we paid, we won't be prepared to swallow the loss, and the players won't get contracts at their destinations which match what they're on at Liverpool. It'd be different if Man City or Chelsea were coming for them, but that won't happen.

Our situation is hardly unique though, it happens all the time at football clubs throughout the land. Pochetino when he took over at Spurs inherited an under-performing bunch of players who had been bought with "spunked" money from the sale of a star player. He didn't "bin the lot of them" he put together a style of play which allowed them to prosper as a team. From there, he has been able to ship out the likes of Gylffi Siggurdsen, Andros Townsend and the like, while supplementing what he already had with some astute buys (the outstanding one of which we ought to have signed really had we been prepared to pay 5 million quid). Whoever takers over at Man Utd will have a bunch of players who are Markovic lookalikes, same to a lesser or greater extent at Chelsea.

No, what needs to happen is we need to bring in three quality players, hopefully out of four or five buys (nobody gets all of them spot on). That would make a huge difference, then we need to get the players we already have, playing better. Since the beginning of time that's how you build a squad and a football club, it's not supermarket sweep funded by you "taking back and returning" players which you've bought in the past who aren't playing well.

I don't think its silly. I think those dozen or so players have had their chance now but have proven they aren't good enough for Liverpool F.C.  I think with the money in the prem now clubs could afford their wages quite comfortably too. The likes of Stoke F***ing City are making big signings for example. We will also need to get shut of a lot of players to make room in the squad for fresh faces and to raise money to bring them in.  This squad has proven for two years under two different managers that it isn't good enough, they aren't going to magically turn into world beaters next season. So we have every reason to get shut & I think PL clubs could and would take them off our books.

Bit of fantasy football now but this is what I'd like to see in the summer summer:

Out - Mignolet, Enrique, Toure, Allen, Ilori, Balotelli, Origi, Lallana, Lovren, Benteke, Milner, Randall.  12 players.

Team to look like this:

New GK   (Ward, Bogdan)

Clyne (Flanno)                    New CB (Gomez)      Sakho  (Skrtel)        New LB (Moreno) 

Henderson (Can)      New CM (Lucas)

New RM (Ibe)                          Firmino/Coutinho                    New LM (Markovic)

New CF (Sturridge, Ings)

Obviously the formation isn't set in stone but that's roughly how I want to see our squad. I might consider keeping Milner as he is versatile and experienced but I don't think he is good enough to start for us week in week out so for that reason he will probably want to get off plus we would get decent money for him.

But our first 11 is that tragic at the moment I think we need SEVEN new players. We need a whole new spine and we desperately need some wide players too.   

It'll be great to have Ings and Gomez back next season though, they will be big players for us.       

JezHarmer
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #37: Feb 05, 2016 10:46:28 am
      Anyone know this Andy Vaughan guy?

http://www.footballfansknow.net/liverpool-moreno-lallana-can-premier-league

Says he goes to a lot of away games but never heard of him?

Speaks a lot of sense though. Would love to m meet him for a beer!
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #38: Feb 05, 2016 11:29:41 am

Out - Mignolet, Enrique, Toure, Allen, Ilori, Balotelli, Origi, Lallana, Lovren, Benteke, Milner, Randall.  12 players.

Team to look like this:

New GK   (Ward, Bogdan)

Clyne (Flanno)                    New CB (Gomez)      Sakho  (Skrtel)        New LB (Moreno) 

New RM (Ibe)                          Firmino/Coutinho                    New LM (Markovic)

New CF (Sturridge, Ings)

This isn’t football manager though…

Who is going to buy Origi for anywhere near 10m? Why would we sell Mignolet after he’s signed a 5 year deal (this isn’t Suarez or Torres we’re talking about) Klopp seems to have joined the Joe Allen love in now as well so can’t see him going anywhere. Milner won’t be sold.

I have to question anyone who is going to call Sakho a first choice centre back. What does he bring to the team? Pace, no. Areial ability, no. Footballing ability, Christ no.

How long will Ward get as well before people start ripping him apart?

Plus as well to go out and buy two quality first team wingers, a quality striker, a solid CM, a solid CB and a quality goalkeeper, all of whom need to be up to standard instantly how much money are we talking? £200m? Of which about £30m can recouped from selling the bang average players we already have…

Dream world.  :cool-smiley-027:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #39: Feb 05, 2016 12:42:36 pm
      I don't think its silly. I think those dozen or so players have had their chance now but have proven they aren't good enough for Liverpool F.C.  I think with the money in the prem now clubs could afford their wages quite comfortably too. The likes of Stoke F***ing City are making big signings for example. We will also need to get shut of a lot of players to make room in the squad for fresh faces and to raise money to bring them in.  This squad has proven for two years under two different managers that it isn't good enough, they aren't going to magically turn into world beaters next season. So we have every reason to get shut & I think PL clubs could and would take them off our books.

Bit of fantasy football now but this is what I'd like to see in the summer summer:

Team to look like this:

New GK   (Ward, Bogdan)

New CF (Sturridge, Ings)

Obviously the formation isn't set in stone but that's roughly how I want to see our squad. I might consider keeping Milner as he is versatile and experienced but I don't think he is good enough to start for us week in week out so for that reason he will probably want to get off plus we would get decent money for him.

But our first 11 is that tragic at the moment I think we need SEVEN new players. We need a whole new spine and we desperately need some wide players too.   

It'll be great to have Ings and Gomez back next season though, they will be big players for us.       

It is silly to think we should go into next season with 7 new players in the first team.

We have a good base of a team here and adding a GK, a midfielder and a proper game changing forward would transform us.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #40: Feb 05, 2016 02:07:21 pm
      It is silly to think we should go into next season with 7 new players in the first team.

We have a good base of a team here and adding a GK, a midfielder and a proper game changing forward would transform us.

We do have some good players that would benefit from a couple of leaders in the starting 11, bit there are definitely plenty to clear out. Moreno, Lallana, Benteke, Can to name a few.

Can for me has disappointed the most. Clearly has ability and I assumed he would become a Gerrard type player, but he's just a presence. Absolutely nothing about him. Doesn't have the nous to become a top player IMO.

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #41: Feb 05, 2016 04:34:57 pm

I don't think getting rid of a dozen players is silly when you consider the number of players we have out on loan. Balotelli, Alberto, Wisdom, Teixeira, Bogdan, Allen, Toure, and Sinclair are all likely to leave. Even Rossiter and Flanagan could end up leaving.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #42: Feb 05, 2016 04:35:38 pm
      We do have some good players that would benefit from a couple of leaders in the starting 11, bit there are definitely plenty to clear out. Moreno, Lallana, Benteke, Can to name a few.

Can for me has disappointed the most. Clearly has ability and I assumed he would become a Gerrard type player, but he's just a presence. Absolutely nothing about him. Doesn't have the nous to become a top player IMO.

Getting rid of Can or Moreno at this stage would be ridiculous.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #43: Feb 05, 2016 04:55:15 pm
      First Team

Clyne
      James Milner 
      Philippe Coutinho
      Roberto Firmino
      Joe Gomez
      Mamadou Sakho
      João Carlos Teixeira
      Sheyi Ojo
      Divock Origi
      Daniel Sturridge

Squad players

Steven Caulker
      Joe Allen
      Danny Ings
      Cameron Brannagan
      Jordon Ibe
      Martin Škrtel
      Jon Flanagan
      Brad Smith
      Lucas Leiva

Get rids

Tiago Ilori
      Adam Lallana
      Simon Mignolet
      Jordan Henderson( I know I will get backlash for wanting rid of Hendo, I find him over rated and he has one reasonable season where Suarez made the whole team look good)
      José Enrique
      Kolo Touré
      Dejan Lovren
      Christian Benteke
      Alberto Moreno
      Emre Can
      Ádám Bogdán
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #44: Feb 05, 2016 04:56:35 pm

I don't think getting rid of a dozen players is silly when you consider the number of players we have out on loan. Balotelli, Alberto, Wisdom, Teixeira, Bogdan, Allen, Toure, and Sinclair are all likely to leave. Even Rossiter and Flanagan could end up leaving.

I agree on this but I think Mick is talking about what we would consider first team players.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #45: Feb 05, 2016 04:58:51 pm
      Getting rid of Can or Moreno at this stage would be ridiculous.
      Why? Allen and Lucas can do Cans role and Flanagan or Smith can be left back instead of Moreno. That is like saying getting rid of Benteke at this stage would be ridiculous when Firmino, Ojo maybe soon Origi and Sturridge will all the ahead of him in the pecking order.

Quick Reply