Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad

Read 34532 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad
      Reply #299: May 20, 2016 06:25:04 am
      Of course we're interested in achieving something. I just don't see how spreading our money more thinly is the way to go about doing that.

Gomez might occasionally play right back under Klopp if Flanagan isn't trusted, but I'd bet good money that centre back is where he plays 90% of his games next season (barring an unusual injury to one of our full backs). There were strong rumours that Klopp was going to give Gomez the nod at centre back for his first game in charge against Spurs and Barrett has said Gomez was the young player that Klopp was most looking forward to working with. I think people underestimate just how big a role he'll play and just how highly rated he is. Lucas hasn't disappointed this season when he's been asked to play in defence and his experience and leadership is great to have around the squad. Again, we're only in three competitions next season. We can't have a squad that is huge. Lovren, Matip, Gomez, and Lucas is more than enough. Sakho's ban length also has a major factor to play in this because if he's only out for six months, then another centre back would definitely be overkill.

While you may see it as spreading our money more thinly, I see it as prioratizing a problem area (50 goals conceded in the league). I don't think it is wise to gamble our season on an 18 year old who has only played 7 games for us and none of them at CB and Lucas who for all his attributes has again had limited time in that position and may not even be here next season.

Bring in a quality CB and I think we will have genuine competition for places rather than players who can fill in when we have a problem.

If we are going to really commit to succeeding next season, improving our defence has to be a priority.

LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #300: May 20, 2016 06:40:22 am
      I doubt we will see a massive amount of players coming in. Probably need to trim the squad down if anything. We had a few players out on loan like Markovic and Luis Alberto that could come in and make a difference. Not to mention players like Ojo, Canos, Ward and Orgi showing promise. Add Ings and Gomez coming back to that and we have a fairly strong depth to the squad. A solid GK, LB and possible a creative midfielder and I think we'd have a decent squad for next season.
      Kopite78
      Reply #301: May 23, 2016 03:00:15 pm
      Ill be honest I was one for thinking that I wouldn't do too much, just try to add some star quality to what we have and build to the base of the current squad, but the longer the time has gone on this season I think it will be possibly more of a cull on the outs especially and I think that's the right decision in all honesty.

We have spent too long with the senior members of this squad finishing 6th-8th in the league and I think that we need a fresh start to try to get rid of that mentality within the players, the second place was the execption to the rule with a lot of the lads we have, and the two cup final defeats maybe showed that we don't have that winning mentality within us to raise it and get beyond our current limitations and mindset.

Now we may well like some of the senior pros as lads but they have been here during that time that finishing 6th-8th has become the norm, the likes of Skrtel and even Lucas maybe have that imprinted in their Liverpool DNA and we need to call this ground zero in what will be a new mindset and a new Liverpool going forward.

The lack of European football is the reality now, lets not say its ideal but it is what it is and we have to use that as a positive rather than a negative in this rebuild.

We wont need such a big squad than with European Football, so Jürgen can get a group of players and maybe with that spine out and a new one in and get them all on his wavelength, then if we are successful next season that basis will be there to add the 3 or 4 of quality the following summer to take us back into Europe, we have to start now building to stay in Europe the next time we get there rather than get there and fall away again, with the same spine of players that are more used to finishing outside that competition than in it.

The run in this season as well I think will have given Jürgen enough of what of the kids can be useful and which unfortunately aren't, he has an informed decision now using 6-8 league games to judge them on rather than a few minutes here and there and the odd start in cups.

If it were me id be fairly strong and the following would go (with the odd proviso)

Defence

Toure - The man is great, im really pleased for him that he had last season but id be surprised to see him given a new deal
      Caulker - Emergency Loan when we had so many injures to CBs but clearly not in JKs plans nor good enough
      Skrtel - Had his time, one of the ones that I think has to go to give us a fresh start and fresh mentality
      Illori - Had game time under Klopp, ultimately not good enough
      Smith - Not good enough, very limited, plays in straight lines, does what Moreno does but not as well, and that says it all
      Randall- Not good enough sorry
      Enrique - Already gone but from the mentality side needs highlighting that he had to
      Wisdom - Been away on loan, not good enough

So that leaves us with this

Lovren
      Matip
      Gomez

Flanagan
      Clyne
      Moreno

Plus Sakho

Now that's not a lot there, Flanagan can cover Clyne at RB. Then there is LB. Now the talk is of Chilwell from Leicester and Hector from Cologne, Ive not seen Hector play much, couple of times but like the fact he was in the Bundesliga team of the year (with Matip) but would we sign both? You have to think that if we sign Chilwell then Moreno is the starting LB in front of him as Chilwell simply doesn't have enough football behind him to be No.1 for Liverpool straight away, unless we sign both and Moreno is fu**ed off too? Ideally id take Hector. 4 full backs will be enough for us without any Europe, Clyne hardly misses a game, Flanno good enough when we need him, Hector with Chilwell/Moreno.

Gomez has got to prove his fitness on return but the rumours were that Klopp was going to start him at CB against Spurs until his injury so id pencil him in for a CB slot injury willing. Lovren and Matip plus one more? There are other rumours out there today so id imagine two CBs will sign this summer, Matip +1, Lovren and Gomez.

Here's one, id F**k Sakho off, when we can, which might not be until next summer but hes landed us in hole with this ban, ive liked the lad since signing but hes another id put in the ruthless bin and F**k him off, likely next summer.

Midfield

Interesting midfield too. Depending on formation as well.

What we know is.

Rossiter - Gone
      Texeira - Going at end of deal

The rest.

I think he keeps
      Henderson - Wont go this summer IMO
      Can - Wont go
      Milner - Wont go but I think he may find his games in CM restricted and he will find himself used wide.

I think will go
      Allen - He hasn't really fancied him if truth be told, all big games this season he has come off the bench ultimately. Not big enough for a Klopp midfield
      Stewart - Not good enough I don't think, hes had chances and he hasn't done too bad but with the 3 above, plus the names being linked in CM and the lack of Europe I just don't see where he gets his game.
      Ibe- Im not sure, but again with no Europe, his lack of kicking on this season and his reaction a month or so before the end of the season I think Klopp may just move him on.

The rest.
      Lucas- Big one for me, im genuinely not sure, I don't see where he gets starts, im not sure if he wants them, in terms that he will be happy with maybe 10-12 starts and filling in the rest. I don't think he has legs for midfield anymore, hes another like Skrtel that maybe hes too used to us finishing in 6th - 8th and we need to get fresh mentality around the place.. I love the lad, not sure though. May get time filling at CB too. I think id thank him and move him on.
      Ojo- I think he stays around to devlop, gets League Cup etc, minutes late on in games and develops in u21s
      Brannagan- Will stay around u21s
      Chirivella - As Brannagan
      Canos - Talk around his contract, if he stays another loan is likely.

Then there is
      Lallana and Coutinho who obviously stay but I kind of think of them as more final third players.

Midfield options of
      Henderson
      Can
      Milner
      Grujic
      Zeilinski/Dahoud

Forwards

Staright out strikers
      Sturridge - Stays, word class, wont leave this summer
      Origi - Klopps project, will get lots of game time
      Ings - Will be back up to the two above.

Without Europe I think that we wont sign another out and out striker than those above, Firmino will be used as a 9 in games like he was this season, also wider or deeper.
      Lallana, Coutinho will be played wide in the final third or behind a striker, and if all goes to plan Klopp will get Gotze as the bit of stardust, spark in that final third.

For me we will end up with Sturridge, Firmino, Origi, Lallana, Gotze, Coutinho competing for 3 spots and rotating the season between them with Ings there to fill in as well.

Out will be Benteke, Sinclair is already gone, Balotelli wont be back and im struggling looking at those options if we get Gotze where Markovic gets a game, unless he does something special in pre season which id expect him to be on the tour I think he wont get an opportunity.

Also around the squad to think of, Allan De Souza will have to go away on loan again due to work permit issues. Luis Alberto, Samid Yesil and Jordan Williams will be finding new clubs.

With the smaller number of games I think that will lead to a cut on the squad size and we will go in looking something like this if Klopp gets his transfers he seemingly wants, and these will play the bulk of next season.

Karius
      Mignolet
      Ward (likely loan to Huddersfield though)
      Fulton

Clyne
      Flannagan

Moreno
      Chilwell/Hector

Lovren
      Matip
      Gomez
      +1

Henderson
      Can
      Grujic
      Milner
      Zieilinski/Dahoud

Coutinho
      Lallana
      Gotze

Sturridge
      Origi
      Ings
      Firmino

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #302: May 23, 2016 03:41:24 pm
      Ill be honest I was one for thinking that I wouldn't do too much, just try to add some star quality to what we have and build to the base of the current squad, but the longer the time has gone on this season I think it will be possibly more of a cull on the outs especially and I think that's the right decision in all honesty.

We have spent too long with the senior members of this squad finishing 6th-8th in the league and I think that we need a fresh start to try to get rid of that mentality within the players, the second place was the execption to the rule with a lot of the lads we have, and the two cup final defeats maybe showed that we don't have that winning mentality within us to raise it and get beyond our current limitations and mindset.

Now we may well like some of the senior pros as lads but they have been here during that time that finishing 6th-8th has become the norm, the likes of Skrtel and even Lucas maybe have that imprinted in their Liverpool DNA and we need to call this ground zero in what will be a new mindset and a new Liverpool going forward.

The lack of European football is the reality now, lets not say its ideal but it is what it is and we have to use that as a positive rather than a negative in this rebuild.

We wont need such a big squad than with European Football, so Jürgen can get a group of players and maybe with that spine out and a new one in and get them all on his wavelength, then if we are successful next season that basis will be there to add the 3 or 4 of quality the following summer to take us back into Europe, we have to start now building to stay in Europe the next time we get there rather than get there and fall away again, with the same spine of players that are more used to finishing outside that competition than in it.

The run in this season as well I think will have given Jürgen enough of what of the kids can be useful and which unfortunately aren't, he has an informed decision now using 6-8 league games to judge them on rather than a few minutes here and there and the odd start in cups.

If it were me id be fairly strong and the following would go (with the odd proviso)

Defence

Toure - The man is great, im really pleased for him that he had last season but id be surprised to see him given a new deal
      Caulker - Emergency Loan when we had so many injures to CBs but clearly not in JKs plans nor good enough
      Skrtel - Had his time, one of the ones that I think has to go to give us a fresh start and fresh mentality
      Smith - Not good enough, very limited, plays in straight lines, does what Moreno does but not as well, and that says it all
      Enrique - Already gone but from the mentality side needs highlighting that he had to

Lovren
      Matip
      Gomez

Flanagan
      Clyne
      Moreno

Plus Sakho

Now that's not a lot there, Flanagan can cover Clyne at RB. Then there is LB. Now the talk is of Chilwell from Leicester and Hector from Cologne, Ive not seen Hector play much, couple of times but like the fact he was in the Bundesliga team of the year (with Matip) but would we sign both? You have to think that if we sign Chilwell then Moreno is the starting LB in front of him as Chilwell simply doesn't have enough football behind him to be No.1 for Liverpool straight away, unless we sign both and Moreno is fu**ed off too? Ideally id take Hector. 4 full backs will be enough for us without any Europe, Clyne hardly misses a game, Flanno good enough when we need him, Hector with Chilwell/Moreno.

Gomez has got to prove his fitness on return but the rumours were that Klopp was going to start him at CB against Spurs until his injury so id pencil him in for a CB slot injury willing. Lovren and Matip plus one more? There are other rumours out there today so id imagine two CBs will sign this summer, Matip +1, Lovren and Gomez.

Here's one, id f**k Sakho off, when we can, which might not be until next summer but hes landed us in hole with this ban, ive liked the lad since signing but hes another id put in the ruthless bin and f**k him off, likely next summer.

Midfield

What we know is.

Rossiter - Gone

The rest.

I think he keeps
      Can - Wont go
      Milner - Wont go but I think he may find his games in CM restricted and he will find himself used wide.

I think will go
      Allen - He hasn't really fancied him if truth be told, all big games this season he has come off the bench ultimately. Not big enough for a Klopp midfield
      Stewart - Not good enough I don't think, hes had chances and he hasn't done too bad but with the 3 above, plus the names being linked in CM and the lack of Europe I just don't see where he gets his game.
      Ibe- Im not sure, but again with no Europe, his lack of kicking on this season and his reaction a month or so before the end of the season I think Klopp may just move him on.

The rest.
      Lucas- Big one for me, im genuinely not sure, I don't see where he gets starts, im not sure if he wants them, in terms that he will be happy with maybe 10-12 starts and filling in the rest. I don't think he has legs for midfield anymore, hes another like Skrtel that maybe hes too used to us finishing in 6th - 8th and we need to get fresh mentality around the place.. I love the lad, not sure though. May get time filling at CB too. I think id thank him and move him on.
      Ojo- I think he stays around to devlop, gets League Cup etc, minutes late on in games and develops in u21s

Then there is
      Lallana and Coutinho who obviously stay but I kind of think of them as more final third players.

Midfield options of
      Henderson
      Can
      Milner
      Grujic
      Zeilinski/Dahoud

Forwards

Staright out strikers

Without Europe I think that we wont sign another out and out striker than those above, Firmino will be used as a 9 in games like he was this season, also wider or deeper.
      Lallana, Coutinho will be played wide in the final third or behind a striker, and if all goes to plan Klopp will get Gotze as the bit of stardust, spark in that final third.

For me we will end up with Sturridge, Firmino, Origi, Lallana, Gotze, Coutinho competing for 3 spots and rotating the season between them with Ings there to fill in as well.

Out will be Benteke, Sinclair is already gone, Balotelli wont be back and im struggling looking at those options if we get Gotze where Markovic gets a game, unless he does something special in pre season which id expect him to be on the tour I think he wont get an opportunity.

Also around the squad to think of, Allan De Souza will have to go away on loan again due to work permit issues. Luis Alberto, Samid Yesil and Jordan Williams will be finding new clubs.

With the smaller number of games I think that will lead to a cut on the squad size and we will go in looking something like this if Klopp gets his transfers he seemingly wants, and these will play the bulk of next season.

Karius
      Mignolet
      Fulton

Clyne
      Flannagan

Moreno
      Chilwell/Hector

Lovren
      Matip
      Gomez
      +1

Henderson
      Can
      Grujic
      Milner
      Zieilinski/Dahoud

Coutinho
      Lallana
      Gotze

Sturridge
      Origi
      Ings
      Firmino

Good post mate. I tend to agree with your assessment.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #303: May 23, 2016 08:01:05 pm
      Good post mate. I tend to agree with your assessment.

Can rule Gotze out unless smokescreen
      Joll_28
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      • Nothing is as majestic as the Liverbird.
      Reply #304: May 24, 2016 01:45:17 am
      Gutted about us not getting any European football  :( but I believe it could be a blessing in disguse for Jürgen and the squad. Less games and we can focus on the league and cups. 
      A massive clear out is needed.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #305: May 24, 2016 03:12:55 am
      In my opinion, the only player I would class as irreplaceable is Studge.  I say that because I don't think we could get enough money from selling him to buy any other player who could produce goals and assists as regularly as he does.  Not only that, but our win percentage with him in the starting 11 is astonishingly better than when he is not in the side.  No other player we currently have comes anywhere closes to the level of importance that Danny has to our team.

I would say Coutinho is almost irreplaceable, but mostly because he has a great understanding and chemistry with Studge and helps to bring out the best in him.

Everyone else is replaceable.

Realistically, I think we will see about 3 or 4 first team players sold.  The primary candidates seem to be: 

Benteke and Skrtel are both as good as gone.  Bogdan will be out if we can find any takers.

Any of Migs, Moreno, Sakho, Lucas, Allen, and Ibe could be on their way if we find buyers and have replacements lined up.  But, I can't imagine any more than 4 or 5 (including Martin and Christian) of the first team squad will be sold. 

Replace this handful with better players who fit the managers tactics, style, formation, etc and we will be in good shape.  We aren't that far off the likes of Arsenal and Spuds, and a few top quality players could put us right up near the top next season, especially as we will be able to focus all of our efforts on the League.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #306: May 24, 2016 05:47:12 am
      We finished 6 points off 4th and 11 off 2nd. That was after we gave up on the league towards the end of the season. As well as that, does anyone expect Leicester to repeat what they've done this year (I know no one expected them to do it this season either)? We're not that far away.
      Kopite78
      Reply #307: May 24, 2016 07:37:45 am
      We finished 6 points off 4th and 11 off 2nd. That was after we gave up on the league towards the end of the season. As well as that, does anyone expect Leicester to repeat what they've done this year (I know no one expected them to do it this season either)? We're not that far away.

I certainly don't expect Leicester to compete again for the league, I think they finish anywhere between 7th and 14th, and I agree 100% that we downed tools in the league in terms of using our best players and our intensity was focused on Europe

However the league wasn't great this season so the figures are slightly misreading.

66 points got 4th this year, the average of the last decade for 4th is 71pts, it's been as high as 79pts..
      Second this year got that average of 71pts (for 4th)

I don't think the top of the league will be as poor next season..

I definitely think we will improve next season, the thing I genuinely think we have to improve is the mentality , the mentality of the senior squad that are used to finishing 6th - 8th and don't have that winning muscle memory.

Klopp can instill  that but I think the spine needs to be changed to bring in a fresh approach and mentality. It's the perfect opportunity to do so at this point or the cycle continues
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #308: May 24, 2016 09:24:13 am
      Is this aimed at me re. Sturridge?

You never even crossed my mind. Saw it on FB, liked it, so posted it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #309: May 24, 2016 09:43:20 am

Defence

Lovren
      Matip
      Gomez

Flanagan
      Clyne
      Moreno

Plus Sakho

Here's one, id f**k Sakho off, when we can, which might not be until next summer but hes landed us in hole with this ban, ive liked the lad since signing but hes another id put in the ruthless bin and f**k him off, likely next summer.

Midfield

What we know is.

Rossiter - Gone

The rest.

I think he keeps
      Can - Wont go

I think will go

The rest.

Then there is

Midfield options of
      Henderson
      Can
      Milner
      Grujic
      Zeilinski/Dahoud

Forwards

Staright out strikers

Karius
      Mignolet
      Fulton

Clyne
      Flannagan

Moreno
      Chilwell/Hector

Lovren
      Matip
      Gomez
      +1

Henderson
      Can
      Grujic
      Milner
      Zieilinski/Dahoud

Coutinho
      Lallana
      Gotze

Sturridge
      Origi
      Ings
      Firmino

That is a seriously good assessment.
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2016 10:12:14 am by eurored »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #310: May 24, 2016 02:59:28 pm
      It's funny, many on here think Klopp will only tweak the squad with a few outgoing players and a few new signings maybe 3 or 4.

Well if you think that then you really don't know our manager.

Klopp always had a big turnover of players each summer window in his previous clubs on average 8 in and 10 out.

I actually believe we will witness the real start of the Klopp revolution this Summer. I expect some ruthless decisions will be made which will see at least 10 to 15 players sold/released and another 8 to 10 players minimum signed.

If you think I'm talking rubbish have a look at Klopps transfer history with Dortmund it might open your eyes.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #311: May 24, 2016 03:45:41 pm
      It's funny, many on here think Klopp will only tweak the squad with a few outgoing players and a few new signings maybe 3 or 4.

Well if you think that then you really don't know our manager.

Klopp always had a big turnover of players each summer window in his previous clubs on average 8 in and 10 out.

I actually believe we will witness the real start of the Klopp revolution this Summer. I expect some ruthless decisions will be made which will see at least 10 to 15 players sold/released and another 8 to 10 players minimum signed.

If you think I'm talking rubbish have a look at Klopps transfer history with Dortmund it might open your eyes.

I agree on the outs mate, we could lose around 20 without it even effecting the regular squad.  So many are out of contract and there's quite a few over 21s who are too old for the Academy who've never featured with the 1st team that'll go too.

Out of the regular matchday squad Skrtel, Toure, Allen and possibly Lucas could all go and Benteke more than likely.  Bogdan obviously, Balotelli definitely, maybe Markovic wouldn't surprise me, Tex and Enrique are already gone. 

There are so many it's hard to keep track of as we've still something like 14 who remained on loan for the full season who he's not even worked with yet.

We really have accumulated a bloated squad over the last few years and our failure to move on Academy lads once they've reached 20/21 when they've never had a look in at senior level is silly when stats confirm that very few make it at this level once they hit 20.

The whole thing needs streamlining and sentimentality putting to one side.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #312: Jul 09, 2016 10:49:41 pm
      Now that the winter window has shut, we turn our attention to the summer and the "who stays, who goes" question.

I've compiled a list taken from the offal of all players listed for the 1st team, it includes those out on loan, some overage 21s and youngsters who have already featured in the 1st team this season.

As yet we have no idea what Jürgen will do, not just in terms of players out but also will he strip us right back to a solid 15-18 regulars that can rotate without losing balance, form etc and then use the most talented of our youngsters as the back ups?  Or will he keep the majority and bring in a couple of real quality to bolster what we have?

Most of you will be surprised at how many players we have and how bloated the squad actually is.

Keepers.

Migs, Bogdan, Ward, Fulton.

I will hazard a guess and say that Migs will stay after the new contract but I'm not sure he'll be No.1. 

Bogdan needs to go and probably will as he's never been good enough, not even as a No.2. 

Ward will be 23 in June and has had a fantastic loan up at Aberdeen, playing every week and gaining experience.  I've watched Ward play regularly with the u21s and I have to say I wasn't that impressed but he was a completely different player on Monday night.  He was Captain for the night and he never looked troubled, came for everything, marshalled his troups well and never stfu.  Who knows he may be enough to challenge Migs for the No.1 spot meaning no money needs spending in this position.

Fulton will turn 20 in the summer and out of all our Academy keepers he's the one who has impressed me the most over the last 7 years of watching the Youth games.  He's recently gone on loan to Portsmouth and is getting games, which is really good considering his age and the level they play at.

Defenders.

Clyne, Enrique, Toure, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Flanno, Skrtel, Caulker, Ilori, Smith, Gomez, Wisdom, Jones, Williams, Randall, Maguire, Cleary, McLaughlin.

That's 19 players for 4 positions.

Enrique, Toure and Caulker I'm assuming will go as their contracts are up so that leaves 16.  Wisdom, Williams and Jones are out on loan, 1 in the PL but not getting games the other 2 at League 1 clubs so they'll probably all go too.

Randall, Maguire, Cleary and McLaughlin.  The first 3 are regulars at u21s and all are either 20 or will turn 20 this year so time is still on their side to develop.  McLaughlin at 22 has suffered from so many injuries in the last couple of years but so far this season he's been injury free.  Like Smith on the opposite flank, he's got pace to burn and was one who many of us had high hopes for in his early career but I don't think he'll be kept.

So that leaves us with Clyne, Flanno, Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Gomez, Moreno, Smith and Ilori, 9 players for 4 positions.  Jürgen has no idea (apart from dvds at Charlton) what sort of player Gomez is and we've no idea how well he'll recover from his injury so he'll stay for at least another season.  Maybe an upgrade on one of the senior Cbs and work with the rest.

Midfielders.

Milner, Hendo, Lucas, Allen, Can, Rossiter, Stewart, Brannagan, Tex, Chirivella, Alberto, Grujic, Allan.

13 players for 2, sometimes 3 positions.

I can see us losing Milner, Allen, Tex and Alberto, possibly Stewart with possibly one other quality CM arriving.  Rossiter could go either way due to his contract situation.  Grujic should come into the 1st team and hopefully we will have sorted Allans work permit out so he becomes available.

Attackers.

Studge, Ings, Origi, Benteke, Balotelli, Ibe, Firmino, Cou, Lallana, Ojo, Yesil, Dunn, Kent, Canos, Sinclair, Marko, Awaniyi.

17 players for 4 positions.

Out of those Balotelli, Yesil, Sinclair and Dunn will leave with possibly Benteke and Lallana if we need some extra funds.

So that's 53 players, yes that's right 53 players!!

I know I've included some of the youngsters and obviously not all of them will have a future with us but after watching our youth closely over the last 7 years we currently have the best group of kids we've ever had in the 16-20 age group.  There's no real prodigy types like Raheem but there's 23 lads, almost a full squad, who are more capable than the team that had Flanno, Wisdom, Sama, Robinson, Coady, Pacheco, Suso, Tex, Raheem, Morgan, Ngoo etc in it and most of them are playing at a reasonable level.

Fulton
      Alexander-Arnold
      Cleary
      Hart
      Masterson
      Canos
      Dhanda
      M Gomes
      T Gomes
      Wilson
      Kent
      Brannagan
      Ojo
      Woodburn
      Gomez
      Philipps
      Adekanye
      Allan
      Ibe
      Grujic
      Awoniyi
      Chirivella
      Rossiter

So with all this talent already at the Club, personally I'd rather see us stripped right back to the bare bones of that 53 man list, bring in 2 or 3 exceptional players and use the Youth as back ups and integrate them into the 1st team.

That's one hell of a job to do.

So 13 already gone or on their way and according to the Echo probably another 15 will leave this window.  I can see more than that going but obviously it'll depend on whether we get offers for them.

Stockpiling players with no actual plan as to what to do with them is never a good idea, it makes the window harder work than necessary when we should be focusing all our efforts on signing players rather than selling them.

Hopefully having a good cull now will leave us with a fit, talented and hungry set of players ready and prepared to work there arses off for us.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #313: Jul 10, 2016 01:09:21 am
      So 13 already gone or on their way and according to the Echo probably another 15 will leave this window.

Do you have a list if the 13 + 15?  The transfer thread only shows 10 out so far.

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,48625.0.html
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #314: Jul 10, 2016 01:20:03 am
      Do you have a list if the 13 + 15?  The transfer thread only shows 10 out so far.

I think Debs is refering to the deals that are being talked about in the media and that are pretty sure to happen, but not 100% confirmed yet.

Benteke, Skrtel, Canos and Ibe being among them and not yet on the list in the transfer thread. I have also read something about Fulton being loaned out. I have no idea who the other players on the list are, but that is one big list. Can only assume that players like Lucas, Allen, Wisdom, Ilori and some more youngsters are on it too.

It's very refreshing to see that there is a clear plan in place and that Jürgen knows exactly with which players he wants to continue. Were finally getting rid off all the players that just aren't good enough or that we've been dragging around in the squad for way too long. I'm all for giving youth the time to develop and I understand that some young players need more time than others to break through, but we've had the tendency to keep some of them around for too long. It's nice to see that coming to an end aswell. We're not helping them by keeping them and playing them in the U21 when we / they know they won't make it to the first team. They need to play and if it's not with us, they should be given the opportunity to play and develop elsewhere.

I wonder how much in wages will be freed up when all of them have left.
      « Last Edit: Jul 10, 2016 01:44:28 am by Danzel »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #315: Jul 10, 2016 07:45:23 am

I've put them in bold in that post I quoted mate.  Not all of them gone yet but pretty much certain to go and it does include some of the academy lads that have been released.

Fulton has gone on loan to Chesterfield, so I've bonded him too.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #316: Jul 10, 2016 07:57:32 am
      I think Debs is refering to the deals that are being talked about in the media and that are pretty sure to happen, but not 100% confirmed yet.

Benteke, Skrtel, Canos and Ibe being among them and not yet on the list in the transfer thread. I have also read something about Fulton being loaned out. I have no idea who the other players on the list are, but that is one big list. Can only assume that players like Lucas, Allen, Wisdom, Ilori and some more youngsters are on it too.

It's very refreshing to see that there is a clear plan in place and that Jürgen knows exactly with which players he wants to continue. Were finally getting rid off all the players that just aren't good enough or that we've been dragging around in the squad for way too long. I'm all for giving youth the time to develop and I understand that some young players need more time than others to break through, but we've had the tendency to keep some of them around for too long. It's nice to see that coming to an end aswell. We're not helping them by keeping them and playing them in the U21 when we / they know they won't make it to the first team. They need to play and if it's not with us, they should be given the opportunity to play and develop elsewhere.

Agree totally mate.

I think it's pretty easy to work out those still to go if we can find buyers or loans.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #317: Jul 10, 2016 09:20:56 am
      any player who isn't chomping at the bit to play for Liverpool shouldn't be anywhere near the club. How many players have come through melwood gates never seen the first team but had a good living from the club. This scatter gun approach to players has to stop and the bench mark needs to be established so we don't continue buying "prospects" how many "prospects" do we need.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #318: Jul 10, 2016 12:39:14 pm
      Don't know if it has been posted before...

Klopp admits Liverpool's squad needs to be trimmed

Jürgen Klopp has admitted he will have to trim Liverpool’s squad ahead of the new season.

But the Reds boss has promised ‘The Liverpool Country’ that the club has secured some good new signings for 2016-17.

Klopp was satisfied after watching his side begin their pre-season friendly programme with a narrow win at Tranmere on Friday night.

The German used 22 players at Prenton Park, with Mario Balotelli and Jordon Ibe notable omissions from the matchday squad.

Both are set to leave – Liverpool have accepted a £15m bid from Bournemouth for Ibe, and are desperate to move Balotelli on – as Klopp undergoes a clearout at Anfield.

Having already seen Kolo Toure, Jose Enrique, Jerome Sinclair and Jordan Rossiter leave, the likes of Christian Benteke, Luis Alberto, Sergi Canos, Joe Allen, Martin Skrtel and Adam Bogdan could all follow.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/klopp-admits-liverpools-squad-needs-11591704
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #319: Jul 10, 2016 01:58:06 pm
      I've put them in bold in that post I quoted mate.  Not all of them gone yet but pretty much certain to go and it does include some of the academy lads that have been released.

Fulton has gone on loan to Chesterfield, so I've bonded him too.

Cheers. Didn't know if there was an actual list, or if it was more speculative.  If we add Ibe, Skrtel, and Benteke to the list of one's already sold that gives us the 13.  Then we have Canos, Alberto, Balo, Allen, Lucas, Bogdan, Smith, Fulton, Rossiter, Ilori, and Phillips.  That's about as many as I can come up with, but it does show quite the cull with almost no impact on actual first team players.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #320: Jul 10, 2016 02:53:37 pm
      Cheers. Didn't know if there was an actual list, or if it was more speculative.  If we add Ibe, Skrtel, and Benteke to the list of one's already sold that gives us the 13.  Then we have Canos, Alberto, Balo, Allen, Lucas, Bogdan, Smith, Fulton, Rossiter, Ilori, and Phillips.  That's about as many as I can come up with, but it does show quite the cull with almost no impact on actual first team players.

Not sure we can say who will definitely go yet mate apart from the obvious like Skrtel, Benteke, Canos and probably Ibe.  So far they're the only ones we've had offers for.

More likely Jürgen will wait until we've finished the local pre season games and might even wait till we've done the US ones too.  There'll still be a month before the window closes but players like Alberto and Markovic he's only just started working with and Allen may decide he wants to stay if there's a contract offer.

Fulton is already out on loan, Ward is supposed to be going to Huddersfield so if we lose Bogdan too we're down to 2 senior keepers.

We've turned down a loan for Branners so he's definitely staying,  Barnsley want Ryan Kent although no decision has been made that I know of.

Gomez isn't back to full training yet, he's still in the "no contact phase" of recovery so Lucas or Ilori may be kept until January at least.  Pedro may go on loan but I think Stewart, Randall and Smith may hang around for another season.

I'd say we'll have a better idea by the end of July or early August though.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #321: Jul 10, 2016 03:43:37 pm

Hopefully by that time nothing, as it will all have been used to attract the 3 or 4 top quality players we will sign.

Quick Reply