Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pep is over-rated

Read 5972 times
      TheForge
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 22 posts |
      Pep is over-rated
      Feb 03, 2016 05:51:42 pm
      I don't understand the clamoring for Pep.  Yes, he'll win 3 Bundesliga titles, but even I could manage that team in that league to 3 titles.  He still hasn't won what they real want, the CL.  Yes, he won a lot at Barcelona, but so did Enrique (winning the treble in his first year).  Plus, he had Xavi and Iniesta in their primes, which made Spain practically invincible for 3 straight major tournaments.  And obviously, he also had the best player ever in addition to those two, which probably means he had 3 of the 5 best players in the world at the time.  I would argue that he's led a charmed life being with the right club at the right time.  I think a lot of managers could have achieved what he's done with the clubs that he's had.  I might lose a lot of credibility with this, but I'm not sure that BR would not have done better.

That all being said, he's still a huge upgrade to Pelligrini.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Pep is over-rated
      Reply #1: Feb 04, 2016 11:30:22 am
      Good players make good teams and good managers make them win games.

If it were easy, Martino would've done it as well.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: Feb 04, 2016 04:28:34 pm
      I wouldn't say he is over rated as such because it's clear he is a top manager but I would say he is yet to be tested. Barca he already had by far the best team in the league that Rijkard had started putting together. Bayern he is with by far the best team in the league. City will be a challenge, they have stars like Aguero, Kompany, Silva and KDB but other than that they aren't special. The likes of Navas, Mangala etc. He will be in for his biggest challenge yet.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4: Feb 04, 2016 05:36:05 pm
      It's my understanding that for someone or something to be overrated, that thing has to deliver less than expected results.

Has Pep not delivered top results? Am I missing something?
      TheForge
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 22 posts |
      Reply #5: Feb 04, 2016 05:55:09 pm
      Maybe the real question would be "What could Pep do with LFC?"  My guess is he wouldn't be doing any better than Klopp, which means he wouldn't be doing much better than BR.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #6: Feb 04, 2016 06:14:11 pm
      I wouldn't say Pep is overrated as such, I think he's fantastic, but I would have liked to see him take over a side that doesn't have endless supplies of cash. At Barcelona, he struck gold with the greatest generation of players ever produced by an academy. After that he inherited the only treble-winning side in German football history in Bayern Munich. Both of those clubs are among the world's best clubs who have no trouble recruiting top talent (in terms of both prestige and wages).

City, however, despite the cash stock, is a different animal. I think he's in for something of a challenge, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out for Pep in the Premier League. Just be grateful he didn't take the reins at United because there's no denying he is a top manager.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #7: Feb 04, 2016 07:05:59 pm
      It's my understanding that for someone or something to be overrated, that thing has to deliver less than expected results.

Am I right in saying Pep has been relatively criticised at Bayern? For only winning the league and Super Cup whilst losing to Dortmund in the German Cup Final, where as Heynckes had a clean sweep the season before? Then losing to Dortmund again the following season and having failed to win the Champions League so far with them.

So in terms of the Bayern fans they will probably feel he has underachieved and could therefore be over rated.

now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is the case, just a possibility.

But I am confident he will suffer defeats a lot more often then what he has done as a manger so far so it will be testing for him like.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #8: Feb 04, 2016 08:17:40 pm

I don't think you are.

The best managers usually land the top jobs and Guardiola is undoubtedly one of those.

That said, I don't necessarily envisage complete domination in the same vein as before once he joins Man City.

Although he will still inherit probably the best squad in the league and have no shortage of funds, ours is a much more competitive league than either Liga or the Bundesliga.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #9: Feb 04, 2016 11:51:02 pm
      He's excellent. The idea that he inherited a brilliant Barcelona side is a myth. He also, by all accounts, did sterling work as the Barcelona B manager.

I wouldn't say he is over rated as such because it's clear he is a top manager but I would say he is yet to be tested. Barca he already had by far the best team in the league that Rijkard had started putting together. Bayern he is with by far the best team in the league. City will be a challenge, they have stars like Aguero, Kompany, Silva and KDB but other than that they aren't special. The likes of Navas, Mangala etc. He will be in for his biggest challenge yet.

They finished 3rd the season he took over at Barcelona and he had to do quite a big rebuilding job.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #10: Feb 05, 2016 12:10:03 am
      He's excellent. The idea that he inherited a brilliant Barcelona side is a myth. He also, by all accounts, did sterling work as the Barcelona B manager.

They finished 3rd the season he took over at Barcelona and he had to do quite a big rebuilding job.

He inherited the likes of Puyol, Abidal, Iniesta, Xavi, Deco, Yaya Toure Ronaldinho, Henry, Eto'o and Messi. That team was always more than capable of winning the league but the fact he sold Deco, Ronaldinho and Eto'o that summer made things a bit harder IMO.

I'm not doubting his ability so don't try to make it sound as though I am but he inherited a top side at Barca but then just happened to go on and make them even better.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #11: Feb 05, 2016 02:10:12 pm
      Maybe the real question would be "What could Pep do with LFC?"  My guess is he wouldn't be doing any better than Klopp, which means he wouldn't be doing much better than BR.

Hahahahaha dickhead!!

Trying to compare the fraud with Klopp or Pep, on one divvy.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #12: Feb 05, 2016 06:18:11 pm
      Hahahahaha dickhead!!

Trying to compare the fraud with Klopp or Pep, on one divvy.

He's the dickhead? Is it him or you that calls Rodgers "the fraud"?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #13: Feb 05, 2016 08:10:30 pm
      The man has won more trophies than he has tasted defeat in league competition.

17 trophies in 5 years, 15 league losses in 5 years. To say he's overrated is bizarre, how can judge him based on things he's never done? He's done as well as he could have in the roles he's had. He'll make City a real team but it'll be his biggest challenge yet.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #14: Feb 05, 2016 09:32:37 pm
      You can only judge a manager on his successes...and Peps had plenty of it.

Sure if he had replaced Rodgers everyone would of been spanking through the kleenex.

I did read ibrahimovic''s book though and he F***ing hates him but suppose that opinion depends on what you think of Zlatan.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15: Feb 06, 2016 11:30:14 am
      he has won something like 60% of the competitions he has entered to suggest he is over rated is crazy.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #16: Feb 06, 2016 01:10:55 pm
      Is he over rated no he has gone and achieved at 2 massive clubs.  But this is the hardest League in the world.  This is his biggest test if he fails he will lose that label as the hottest manager in the world.  This is where be will be found out.  The task is hard because he has come with a big bang as the best manager in the world a contract that is the highest amongst managers and players, so people expecting big things.   Mourninho has done well and when he come people were sceptical,Bobby Robson a manager he worked with didn't give him much of a chance. 

Whatever happens he will have to accept that there will be many more defeats on his CV.  But it all comes down to winning big trophies.   If Pelegrini wins the league that will pile the pressure.   I know some will say but that happened in Germany, but this is different. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #17: Feb 06, 2016 11:50:21 pm
      He's not over rated, far from it as he has proven to be one of the worlds best coaches but I do agree with a few comments that he has still to be properly tested and I think City is that test.

Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #18: Feb 07, 2016 02:08:20 am

Agreed. He is talented, but he needs everything to be in place for him to shine. Man City and there big money will help BUT look at this season, we have 20 teams in this league, and every single one of them give a game.

He wont find this challenge as easy.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #19: Feb 07, 2016 02:53:27 am
      I did read ibrahimovic''s book though and he F***ing hates him but suppose that opinion depends on what you think of Zlatan.

Might have something to do with Pep binning the egotistical tw*t off as soon as he got the job at Barca.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #20: Feb 07, 2016 06:40:03 am
      He's not over rated, far from it as he has proven to be one of the worlds best coaches but I do agree with a few comments that he has still to be properly tested and I think City is that test.

I don't agree with city being a test. If Ranieri wins the league with Leicester this season, he won't be seen as a great manager. It will be a fluke, an amazing story whatever but he will not be viewed as a great manager.,

Guardiola won with a team designed 20 years ago by Cruyff. With Messi and la Masia coming into its prime.
      Tito Villanova won the league from hospital. Enrique has won the triple in his first season and could do it twice in a row, with Suarez, Neymar and Messi.

Bayern munich won the trouble before he got there. They bought the players he wanted. He was showered with resources. Has he exceeded expectations?

City is a big test???? Please explain that one to me. Leicester would be a test. We would be a test. F***ing city!! The world has become completely skewed.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: Feb 07, 2016 07:18:37 pm
      He's the dickhead? Is it him or you that calls Rodgers "the fraud"?

you really are on message you aren't you has any one told you Brendan was fired.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #22: Feb 07, 2016 07:24:23 pm
      So Pep, what attracted you to the multi billionaires of Manchester City?

Quick Reply