Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

A Unique Position

Read 8055 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: A Unique Position
      Reply #46: Feb 09, 2016 12:31:48 am
      Quote from Hollywood Balls
      It would be a big decision.

It would be irresponsible.

These players were found wanting against Exeter and Carlisle, and now we think they're the answer against Chelsea and City's superstars, and up to the pressure of the derby and Spurs? Furthermore, playing them all at once is basically telling them that they're only there because more senior players need to put their feet up for the night. How is that supposed to motivate them? We've already seen Sinclair's response. Teixeira may soon follow. Smith wanted out not that long ago too.

The goal for them should be to breakthrough to the senior side when they've got more experienced players there to help them out. That's how Gerrard made it, how Fowler made it, and Owen made it. That's the right way to do it, not put a team of them out there once/twice a year, see they're not ready for the step up, and we never see them again.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #47: Feb 09, 2016 12:45:35 am
      your such a whimp .
      Many years ago I had an Auntie who new all the first teams birthdays and she would send them cards and one thing you never did is bad mouth one of her boys.

Was that Auntie Deb?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #48: Feb 09, 2016 01:13:55 am
      We have given them opportunities in the Cups and they have done well we use a couple in the league now, why not.  I think we should start though with Ward and maybe Smith.  Simple Simon has been poor and so has the defense. 
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #49: Feb 09, 2016 01:38:41 am
      It would be irresponsible.

These players were found wanting against Exeter and Carlisle, and now we think they're the answer against Chelsea and City's superstars, and up to the pressure of the derby and Spurs? Furthermore, playing them all at once is basically telling them that they're only there because more senior players need to put their feet up for the night. How is that supposed to motivate them? We've already seen Sinclair's response. Teixeira may soon follow. Smith wanted out not that long ago too.

The goal for them should be to breakthrough to the senior side when they've got more experienced players there to help them out. That's how Gerrard made it, how Fowler made it, and Owen made it. That's the right way to do it, not put a team of them out there once/twice a year, see they're not ready for the step up, and we never see them again.

I think it was made clear a few times already in the thread that no-one is talking sbout "playing them all at once".

Youre talking about something else entirely.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #50: Feb 09, 2016 01:52:22 am
      I think most would advocate for the likes of Ward, Ilori, Smith, Brannagan, and Tex being given a shot in the league games.  I think we just need to do it cautiously.  Maybe one game we give Smith and Tex a chance.  Then the next give Ward and Brannagan a chance, and so on....  If the youngsters perform better than their senior counterparts, then they keep their place.  Simple really :)
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #51: Feb 09, 2016 03:01:19 am
      I like young Smith he has a very good left foot and here is the thing he can f***in defend

When have we actually seen him defend...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,731 posts | 6715 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #52: Feb 09, 2016 06:33:04 am
      Brannagan I would like to see get some more game time. The rest I can take or leave to be honest.

I really want to see what Ojo can give us. That goal he curled in with his left peg was a peach and every time he gets a small cameo, he looks like he can produce the goods. Why isn't he even on the bench a little more regurarly?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #53: Feb 09, 2016 06:43:46 am
      I really want to see what Ojo can give us. That goal he curled in with his left peg was a peach and every time he gets a small cameo, he looks like he can produce the goods. Why isn't he even on the bench a little more regurarly?

I'd like to see more of Ojo too especially considering the lack of pace in the side. Him running at tired legs could be interesting.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,731 posts | 6715 
      Reply #54: Feb 09, 2016 06:46:33 am

I'd like to see more of Ojo too especially considering the lack of pace in the side. Him running at tired legs could be interesting.

Any chance he'll be in the side to face West Ham? Heard any mentions or leaked line ups?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #55: Feb 09, 2016 07:05:37 am
      Any chance he'll be in the side to face West Ham? Heard any mentions or leaked line ups?

He's traveled with the squad according to James Pearce. No word on whether he'll start or be on the bench.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #56: Feb 09, 2016 07:34:06 am

Toni Gomes, Conor Masterson, Yan Dhanda, Pedro Chirivella and Sheyi Ojo all trained with the LFC first team yesterday.

Obviously doesn't mean they will be in the team or even on the bench.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #57: Feb 09, 2016 07:43:43 am
      Hoping tonight a few of the lads get a run out - not all 11 replaced of course but a few... Ojo has done really well when he has played, im not sure why he is behind Ibe at this time as he seems to do better when he comes on.

What surprises me is how undervalued the cup has become. Many are happy for us to put out a 'younger' side tonight and lose (home or away) and no one questions ticket prices etc etc. But for a league game it seems like its totally out of the question to do this... Thing is, we have more chance of winning the FA Cup than we do the league.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #58: Feb 09, 2016 08:00:48 am
      Don't rate Lallana or Milner to be honest but I'm not confident Ojo or Kent have what it takes to play for Liverpool either from what I've seen of them so far.

f***in glad your not boss mate, the point of the fella is making is a decent one Tbf, the likes of Lallana,Can Moreno etc are also miles off being worthy of wearing the shirt,  so why not involve one or two of those kids,
      They would give more imo than those already privileged to do so,but in all honesty have been pretty dire for so called seasoned professionals,

I agree, give the kids a go,let's face we've hardly got a lot to lose have we?

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #59: Feb 09, 2016 08:04:39 am

When have we actually seen him defend...

Same question could be asked of Moreno.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,731 posts | 6715 
      Reply #60: Feb 09, 2016 09:25:46 am
      He's traveled with the squad according to James Pearce. No word on whether he'll start or be on the bench.

Toni Gomes, Conor Masterson, Yan Dhanda, Pedro Chirivella and Sheyi Ojo all trained with the LFC first team yesterday.

Obviously doesn't mean they will be in the team or even on the bench.

Cheers lads, hope he gets some minutes and shows us what he can offer if he's given a chance.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #61: Feb 09, 2016 12:49:30 pm
      I have been mulling this over for a while, and I believe that we are in a very unique position as a club -  and it could if we are clever really play into our hands for next season...

Lets be honest, our season has gone a little differently than we would have liked with a manager sacked and a significant injury list. With 13 games left we sit in 9th place with a 12 point gap to the covered 4th spot and Champs League. We, by virtue of the League Cup, have a spot in the Europa (unless City drop 6 points to Utd and fall out of CL places) so no real need to push for 5th place.

So – why don’t we start blooding some of these young players in and giving the first team players a chance to get back to full fitness and be ready for the new season.

Im not saying throw the towel in, far from it... I also appreciate that some of the first team will want / need games to keep in form and upto the level they are used too – the FA cup and Europa will become their competitions in essence.

The benefits for me outweigh the risks;

We could unearth a few gems in the youth setup (Tex, Yesil, Brannagan, Illori)
            If we don’t, we put a lot of players who may never make it in the shop window to bolster transfer funds

Out First team players will be a lot fitter and used to the pressure of the new style for next season (Sturridge, Origi, Hendo)
            They can adapt their training for this system to be ready for this from now to September

The cups will get the best players with a chance we may even be able to field very strong teams without injury worries
            No issues on 3 games a week for some players as the rotation would be massive

I know this wont happen but even on a smaller scale would this not be worth us trying to do..?
      I see nothing wrong in what you are suggesting,Except I personally would leave the FA Cup to the youth, (after all they showed the fight to get us here).... I believe that any manager worth their salt will examine ALL possibilities....

But I believe what we really are missing (Besides Quality through out the squad) Are a couple of scourers in the team, regularly, who are vocal. Even (IMO) if they lack real quality they would make up for it in pride in the shirt,determination, and most of all some real fight. If they are only slightly above average this can lift the team and spur them on, bring out that extra in players.

Who can forget the part one Jamie Carragher played in the CL final. Suffering from cramp yet still throwing himself in there, or many other match through out his career....Jamie  Carragher (for me at least) typified what it should mean to be a Liverpool Player. Bringing it all week in week out... We have seen it most of the last two seasons a players like Joe Allen average Joe,but willing to work and then on the other side of that coin two players with a enormous amounts of talent but unwilling to put in the effort needed, Mario.B and Christen.B.....

Yes give the youth a try... They might surprise some people... at worst; we get a better insight to the areas were we need players

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #62: Feb 09, 2016 12:59:02 pm
      I've no idea what Jamie Vardy has got to do with this thread.
      I think the point he was making was that Vardy was not given a real chance, like most of the youth under various managers, and Leicester took a gamble and look at him now.... Mahrez was playing second division football in French again look at him now... Man Utd go rid of Pobga without giving him a chance...
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2016 04:15:54 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #63: Feb 09, 2016 10:33:10 pm
      Lads tonight did really well, shame about the result that was (in my opinion) lost by senior players.

Positives, we have 3 players that wouldnt look out of place in a number of prem teams with Smith, Stewart & Chirivella. Illori deserves a few games too between now and the end of the season too.

Would love to see this in a few league games - they showed tonight they can handle the pressure and I would say there was a lot more away at West Ham than home against Villa...
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,039 posts | 336 
      Reply #64: Feb 10, 2016 05:44:52 pm
      Yes, we have some very good lads coming through who we WILL lose if we don't give them a few chances in the league.
      Talkshite radio have been asking for listeners to comment on Klopp's 'weakened team' last night.  I actually found after 128 mins that I was watching a STRENGTHENED team.  We had a defence that was organized and well-marshaled, a midfield that was in position defensively and quick but disciplined going forward, a few attacking players who got their heads up and were quicker to see opportunities, and we had intelligent movement.  Leadership?  Step up Samii Lucas.  Determination? Step up Mr Stewart.  Vision? Step up Messrs Chirivella and Coutinho. 
      We now have a list of young guys who, in my opinion, are at the stage where they either stay and thrive as proper LFC players, or disappear.  The only decider on that score is whether any of them get picked to play; and Herr Klopp NEEDS to do it, or for me at least, he'll lose a lot of credibility, given the below par performances we've seen from the first XI.

Smith
      Chirivella
      Texeira
      Stewart
      Brannagan
      Ojo

There might just be a club legend in there.  We won't know for another 5 or 6 years, and that's IF they get picked!

Quick Reply