Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Attacking Fullbacks

Read 1366 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Attacking Fullbacks
      Feb 10, 2016 02:20:20 pm
      I know this is a contentious issue as there's always plenty of debate in our own player threads and matchday threads but as I don't particularly follow other leagues and therefore players outside of the PL are all fbs either good defensively or good going forward or are there some that can do both.

I'm referring to our lfbs in particular.  They, either Moreno or Smith, are nearly always the furthest forward even without the ball but I see people constantly going on about not getting back or being out of position when the opposition attack but isn't it down to the other players to cover? 

I don't recall Barca constantly leaking goals when Dani Alves was in the oppositions half.  Or isn't that why people complain about ours?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: Attacking Fullbacks
      Reply #1: Feb 10, 2016 10:26:12 pm
      The teams playing Barca are the ones leaking goals. If we were smashing teams like that then our wingbacks wouldn't be getting stick.
      If Smith or Moreno were as good as Alves we would probably be scoring more also so I'd be complaining about them not assisting or scoring more not defending. I'm sure Moreno wasn't bought as a 'defender'.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2: Feb 11, 2016 09:13:52 am
      I know this is a contentious issue as there's always plenty of debate in our own player threads and matchday threads but as I don't particularly follow other leagues and therefore players outside of the PL are all fbs either good defensively or good going forward or are there some that can do both.

I'm referring to our lfbs in particular.  They, either Moreno or Smith, are nearly always the furthest forward even without the ball but I see people constantly going on about not getting back or being out of position when the opposition attack but isn't it down to the other players to cover? 

I don't recall Barca constantly leaking goals when Dani Alves was in the oppositions half.  Or isn't that why people complain about ours?

Barca can sustain pressure and retain the ball up the field with the technical capabilities as a team to keep hold of the ball and not give it away cheaply at vital moments when a full back is out of position.
      We on the other hand seem to not want the hot potato at our feet and kick it any old place like it's infected, we don't respect possession nor have the brains to be able to do the simple stuff like pass a ball to someone who is 6 yards away consistently.
      Plus of course the other team will not want to spread out all over the gaff with Barca's front 3 buzzing around like wasps.
      Teams playing us main fear would maybe be if Benteke is going to set up his hammock.
      Kopite78
      Reply #3: Feb 11, 2016 10:38:04 am

Fishn is real right regarding Barca being technically able to keep possession but there is also slightly more to it.
      In Barca's example the teams they play also have an inferiority complex to them and look to defend in numbers against their attacking threat and therefore don't look for the immediate 'Spring' in behind by keeping say 3-4 up the field or having the thought of quickly hitting them on the counter, their first thought is to always look behind them and be wary of what Barca could potentially do to them, their tactical set up wouldn't be to counter that as the immediate thought but to make sure they don't have gaps to attack if they(Barca) win it back early.

Over here one of the supposed selling points of the league is that anyone can beat anyone and that supporters expect that their team has a go. But if you watch most games then the 'smaller' sides tend to focus on one area to counter and if that be behind the full back or set piece, it is there.. There is less of an inferiority complex towards the top sides.
      That's more of a recent thing, if you use Utd as an example at their pomp, Gary Neville was first and foremost a defender who developed an attacking side as he went through his career because teams did have an inferiority complex towards that Utd side and he knew he could go without the real worry of the opposition hitting behind him.

Now if you consider a lot of modern full backs, like ours in Moreno and Smith they tend to be converted wingers rather than out and out defenders like Carra or Neville, it literally takes a split second to switch off in turning round and getting back or being in the wrong position to defend (like Moreno in the penalty at Norwich) and they look daft. Pure defenders insitinctivly have that knowledge and judgement where unnatural converted full backs have learnt it later in life.

There is also a lack of top quality holding midfielders around currently in the Macherano style who have the legs to cover there and the brain to see it. Lucas has the brain but not the legs, Can has the legs but not the brain.

I saw Saturday actually though against Sunderland that our full backs had slightly different starting positions than in recent weeks, Clyne was a good 20 yards higher than Moreno on the other side, the idea that Moreno hit the overlap at pace making it even harder to defend against, the shame being his final ball needs a lot of work as he gets in the position but often doesn't pick the right ball out and we are being countered on.

It's a valid tactical approach but if as fishn said you lack the technical ability in the final third, whether that's in keeping the ball for long periods or in Moreno's case a really erratic final ball you leave yourself open to a counter especially when the opposition mindset is to take advantage of that like over here.

We just have to improve what we are doing and then that stops them turning us over, if the ball is in their net they can't counter us
      craigsmith1995
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 17, 2016 12:27:42 pm
      I LOVE attacking full backs however defending must come first! Moreno cannot defend simple as, he shuts off far to easily and is always out of position. Smith? well he is young and yet to see if he can cut in the prem but he can sure attack and get forward! This is why I like Clyne he is okay getting forward but 1 on 1 defending he is brilliant, rarely makes a mistake! Bring back steve finnan!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Feb 17, 2016 12:42:34 pm
      are all fbs either good defensively or good going forward or are there some that can do both.

but isn't it down to the other players to cover? 

Ha, I'd forgotten I started this thread!

Thanks for the replies guys but these were the bits I needed answering and from what you've all said then my original thoughts were correct. 

It doesn't matter whether the fbs are in the opposition half, or whether they can defend if the other players are covering and able to regain possession quickly, so better CBs and better covering/holding/defensive midfielders are what we need, rather than more defensive minded FBs.

Quick Reply