Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 148439 times
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #230: Dec 06, 2016 07:36:32 pm
      Association football is slightly more complex than you give the impression.

True but I still fail to see what impact Coutinho and Sturridge would have had on our back 5 and our two holding midfielders.

Sturridge is probably are laziest player when it comes to pressing and Coutinho is probably our most direct attacking player.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #231: Dec 06, 2016 08:53:54 pm
      True but I still fail to see what impact Coutinho and Sturridge would have had on our back 5 and our two holding midfielders.

Sturridge is probably are laziest player when it comes to pressing and Coutinho is probably our most direct attacking player.

Well Origi had a direct hand in two of the goals conceded for starters. One where he conceded posession needlessly and carelessly when we had everyone forward, and the other where he got outcompeted on the edge of our box by Jack Wilshire. Disclaimer-I'M NOT SAYING THE GOALS WERE HIS FAULT. I have to put that it, as someone will type "I've heard it all now, someone is saying the goals were Origi's fault". I had it earlier in the week when I said in my opinion, Benteke (amongst a list of others) is a better player than Origi but I realised I was significantly in the minority. Some clown paraphrased that into "I've heard it all now, we NEED Benteke".

Aside from the two goals he had a hand in (for them) Origi also missed an open goal from a pace out. I think Sturridge would have scored that, and I think if Firmino had played centrally (ie if Coutinho was fit) we would have won about 5-0. Although Origi did score a fine goal, i thought his contribution was limited at best. Missing our best players doesn't I agree mean we were missing blokes who could head shots off of our goal-line, but I contest their absense did have a significant impact.     
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #232: Dec 06, 2016 09:57:26 pm
      Well Origi had a direct hand in two of the goals conceded for starters. One where he conceded posession needlessly and carelessly when we had everyone forward, and the other where he got outcompeted on the edge of our box by Jack Wilshire. Disclaimer-I'M NOT SAYING THE GOALS WERE HIS FAULT. I have to put that it, as someone will type "I've heard it all now, someone is saying the goals were Origi's fault". I had it earlier in the week when I said in my opinion, Benteke (amongst a list of others) is a better player than Origi but I realised I was significantly in the minority. Some clown paraphrased that into "I've heard it all now, we NEED Benteke".

Aside from the two goals he had a hand in (for them) Origi also missed an open goal from a pace out. I think Sturridge would have scored that, and I think if Firmino had played centrally (ie if Coutinho was fit) we would have won about 5-0. Although Origi did score a fine goal, i thought his contribution was limited at best. Missing our best players doesn't I agree mean we were missing blokes who could head shots off of our goal-line, but I contest their absense did have a significant impact.     

Yeah fair play, I get what you mean
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #233: Dec 07, 2016 02:43:29 pm

I think its harsh highlighting Origi as having his hand in the two goals they scored in fact I would say the forwards did their job, how many times do you score 3 goals away from home and end up on the losing side? Forwards lose the ball all the time trying to play the percentage pass.
      Milner was pretty absent during that last 15mins but I wont highlight it too much as it was a collective collapse.

That collapse was primarily because the midfield malfunctioned in the second half, or rather stopped playing and because of that drop in intensity they  invited pressure onto our defence who crumbled.

Sturridge has missed plenty of sitters this season by the way when he has come on or on the odd occasion started.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #234: Dec 07, 2016 02:53:23 pm

In general Mick, agree that it wasn't one of Origi's better games. Still not sure Klopp would start Studge ahead of him though. Will see when Danny is fit again, he'll have a choice to make then with Cou still out.

Oh, and Matip ... still hoping he'll be fit to face WH, not sure if any news on that one.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #235: Dec 09, 2016 07:00:34 am
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #236: Dec 09, 2016 07:25:08 am
      Oh, and Matip ... still hoping he'll be fit to face WH, not sure if any news on that one.

He's been back training this week - and he was only out for a week so can't see any reason why he wouldn't be back. 

I know Klopp has been banging on about how good value Firmino is but come on - Matip! Surely he takes that prize!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #237: Dec 09, 2016 12:58:31 pm
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #238: Dec 09, 2016 02:09:37 pm
      He's been back training this week - and he was only out for a week so can't see any reason why he wouldn't be back. 

I know Klopp has been banging on about how good value Firmino is but come on - Matip! Surely he takes that prize!

Yea, hopefully he'll be able to start. Imo Firmino has come on a lot since he started,  but Matip has hit the ground running since day 1 and been excellent.  Been really impressed with Mane too tbh, they've both made immediate, really positive impacts.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #239: Dec 09, 2016 06:05:32 pm
      Told his national team to shove it, nice!

How this guy slipped away on a free transfer without much interest in him is beyond me. Top class
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #240: Dec 09, 2016 06:11:06 pm
      Wont even be close mate, Matip will be much the better player.

This is a bit of a coup in my opinion, getting this lad on a free is incredible value for money and that will of course suit FSG but it will open up the chance for us to spend elsewhere and that's ultimately what we want too.

Absolutely delighted with this, an aerially dominant CB is something we've lacked since Hyypia in my opinion and this lad has all the hallmarks to develop just like big Sami. He chips in with the odd goal and is composed on the ball, doesn't mind getting forward either and is decent in possession.

First signs of a sea change in our transfers, so many of us said there is untapped potential in Germany and at cheap prices, Jürgen arrives and then this lad signs on the dotted line, very encouraging for the summer in my opinion.

Welcome to the club Joel, very pleased to have you as party of the family!

It's fun to read back people's initial opinions of players, pleased he's proving to be as good as I thought he would. Quite surprising how many people actually thought he wouldn't even be starting.

Great to have him back and incredible how quickly he's become a vital part of our back-line.

Best CB in the league in my opinion.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #241: Dec 09, 2016 06:33:36 pm
      Player of the month for November. 

Congrats on the accolade Joel but please don't get injured again  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #242: Dec 10, 2016 01:30:34 am
      It's fun to read back people's initial opinions of players, pleased he's proving to be as good as I thought he would. Quite surprising how many people actually thought he wouldn't even be starting.

Great to have him back and incredible how quickly he's become a vital part of our back-line.

Best CB in the league in my opinion.

What's funny is, if he was signed for £20m, £25m, £30mill then those people would have been raving about him I expect.

Haven't felt so confident about a CB signing since we signed Dagger.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #243: Dec 10, 2016 11:48:55 am
      Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere.

Matip explains reasons behind AFCON decision - http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/246257-matip-explains-reasons-behind-afcon-decision
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #244: Dec 10, 2016 12:36:39 pm

Good player. Good man.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #245: Dec 10, 2016 03:32:32 pm
      We absolutely trolled the rest of the world picking this guy up. What a player, the word "professional" springs to mind.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #246: Dec 10, 2016 05:15:14 pm
      Glad to hear he's back for tomorrow!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #247: Dec 11, 2016 07:17:11 pm
      Thought he was really unfortunate with there second goal today,ball looped over him of hendos head and just caught him of guard and flat footed,other than that I thought he was great again.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #248: Dec 11, 2016 07:19:48 pm
      Was unfortunate with the second goal today. For sure he'd have loved to have done better with it but his performance either side of the mistake was absolutely fine once again. With the maturity and responsibility he takes in defence with an eagerness to get on the ball and clear it as well as play it, he's bound to have a less than perfect moment once in a while.

On a side note I thought Klavan did well in the second half and looked a lot more assured than Lovren who was a bit too slack in the first half for mu liking.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #249: Dec 12, 2016 09:11:21 am
      Was unfortunate with the second goal today. For sure he'd have loved to have done better with it but his performance either side of the mistake was absolutely fine once again. With the maturity and responsibility he takes in defence with an eagerness to get on the ball and clear it as well as play it, he's bound to have a less than perfect moment once in a while.

On a side note I thought Klavan did well in the second half and looked a lot more assured than Lovren who was a bit too slack in the first half for mu liking.

Yup,

apart from the mistake (the henderson deflection put him off) he was really really good, composed and defended well.

and definitely agree with you about Klavan, he did better than Lovren, who I thought had a poor first half.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #250: Dec 21, 2016 02:56:33 am
      The 25-year-old, who has 25 caps for the four-time AFCON champions, had stated that he wanted to skip the international tournament to focus on club football.

Matip has been one of Liverpool's most consistent defensive performers as Jürgen Klopp's team have given themselves a fighting chance of ending 2016 in the Premier League's top two.

However, even if the former Schalke man does sit out the Africa Cup of Nations, there's a chance he won't be available to the Reds throughout January.

Matip is one of seven Cameroon players to have pledged not to travel to Gabon in January - also including West Bromwich Albion's Allan Nyom - and national manager Hugo Broos has pledged to do what he can to ensure they face sanctions for the move.

"These players have put personal interest above those of the national team and the federation reserves the right to take action against the players in accordance with FIFA regulations," Broos said.

A ban is possible, with Eurosport noting that Cameroon's football association is within its rights to call upon Fifa to suspend the seven players for the duration of the tournament.

a couple media outlets reporting this

first, this is absolutely BS.  yes it is considered an honour to play for your country but it should never be something that is forced.  everybody has their own reasons and some players just prioritize other things first. this is on the borderline of hardballing players to conform.

players should have a choice without the fear of a backlash
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #251: Dec 21, 2016 09:04:06 am
      FIFA apparently has the power to ban Matip and any other player who refuses to go to the AFCON :D. The world of football is a F***ing joke. He's played 1 game in 2 and a half years, why are they so surprised that he has said he doesn't want to play for Cameroon?! If I was him I'd retire, he basically has unofficially anyway.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #252: Dec 21, 2016 11:59:22 am
      Is that why he's "injured" to maybe escape punishment? And if he is injured, he shouldn't be banned because he wouldn't be available anyway.

Quick Reply