Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 150529 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #69: Feb 15, 2016 10:18:27 pm
      He seems to have an incredible goal scoring strike rate for a centre back (1 every 10 games)
      Has he played more as a midfielder in the past or maybe takes penalties?

He's played in midfield a few times I think, not that I've seen him there. Doesn't take penalties.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #70: Feb 16, 2016 07:00:02 am
      According to Kristian Sommer, a journalist for Sky Germany:

"It's a bargain"

"It is a bargain to be honest"

"He has got a lot of experience for a player of his age"

"He is usually very calm, he has a good positional play and is good in the air"

"[L]acks physical presence and is not that strong though compared to other centre-halves at Schalke"

"He is good on the ball and can create chances as he often sees the open space"

"He has the ability to play in midfield, but more defensively. With all the class that the Reds have in that area of the field I can only see him as a defensive midfielder."

"[H]is major weakness used to be that he is not the quickest, but he always made that up because of his excellent positional play"

"He is without a shadow of a doubt the most dangerous centre-half in the Bundesliga right now. He is good in the air he scores a lot of goals from set pieces"

Hyypia and Carragher weren't pacey either, and were some of the best defenders we've had.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #71: Feb 16, 2016 07:58:43 am
      He seems to have an incredible goal scoring strike rate for a centre back (1 every 10 games)

Don't worry mate. I'm sure when he arrives at Liverpool he won't score for 4 seasons.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #72: Feb 16, 2016 08:28:49 am
      Who do you think will go :- Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Ilori, Gomez, Toure Caulker, Matip ... 8 CB's?

I think Caulker has had his hopes dashed now and probably Toure and Ilori or as an outside possibility Skrtel will need to find new clubs.

Just Caulker and Kolo I hope.

With the injury history we have had with CBs this season, there is no way we are letting any of the other 5 go! Ilori and Joe can be pretty useful in the cup games and we ideally should have 4 CBs to choose from!

Don't worry mate. I'm sure when he arrives at Liverpool he won't score for 4 seasons.

Always enjoyed pessimistic sarcasm! <<sarcasm>>
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #73: Feb 16, 2016 12:49:20 pm
      I think Caulker, Toure and Skrtel go, leaving us with Sakho, Lovren, Ilori, Gomez and Matip. I've liked what little I've seen of Ilori so far and we all know how impressive Gomez looked at times when he featured. Being the youngest I think Gomez is nailed on to stay so a big question mark hangs over Ilori. Maybe all 5 of those stay and Jürgen finds a way to develop Gomez slowly?

remember that Matip can play as DM and that is a position we've needed cover in for a long long time.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #74: Feb 16, 2016 01:21:58 pm
      remember that Matip can play as DM and that is a position we've needed cover in for a long long time.

It's not really cover we have needed mate... it is someone better than Lucas we have needed.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #75: Feb 16, 2016 02:25:06 pm
      I'm delighted with this signing. Think he will become a very important part of the team. Hope we play him as a CB and not in a defensive midfield position.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #76: Feb 16, 2016 03:42:23 pm
      Read where he's going to be on 100k per week. That's certainly not bench warmer money. Wouldn't be surprised to see us clear out someone to make up for that...Skrtel on about that much?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #77: Feb 16, 2016 03:48:25 pm
      Read where he's going to be on 100k per week. That's certainly not bench warmer money. Wouldn't be surprised to see us clear out someone to make up for that...Skrtel on about that much?

I highly doubt we're in a position where we actively have to sell somebody to cover his wages. People will leave of course though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #78: Feb 16, 2016 04:13:12 pm
      I highly doubt we're in a position where we actively have to sell somebody to cover his wages. People will leave of course though.

Didn't say we were in a position to, but past events have made it seem as if we would most certainly clear out players to make room on the wage bill for newcomers.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #79: Feb 16, 2016 04:30:24 pm

Toure and Enrique off the wage bill will more than cover his wages mate.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #80: Feb 16, 2016 04:32:28 pm
      Toure and Enrique off the wage bill will more than cover his wages mate.

That's true. Wouldn't want FSG getting nervous about the wage bill again! ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #81: Feb 16, 2016 04:40:00 pm
      That's true. Wouldn't want FSG getting nervous about the wage bill again! ;D

Our wage bill has come down to a much more manageable level as a % of turnover in recent years mate, it's more or less at it's optimum for the industry at about 55%.   
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #82: Feb 16, 2016 07:35:44 pm

well for a 6ft4 giant you'd expect him to score a lot, he can play DM but played most his time as cb
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #83: Feb 16, 2016 07:44:10 pm
      So the Boss was already thinking about getting him for whichever Club he ended up managing after his sabbatical.  I wonder who else he's had his eye on  ;D

It was confirmed on Monday that the Cameroon international will make a switch to the Reds after the conclusion of his current deal with Bundesliga side Schalke.

The 24-year-old has built up a wealth of experience since his senior debut in 2009 and represented his country at each of the past two World Cups.

Klopp observed Matip closely while in charge of Borussia Dortmund and was so impressed by the performances he witnessed, the German shortlisted him as a potential recruit for his next team during a sabbatical from the game before taking charge at Anfield.

The manager told Liverpoolfc.com: “I am very happy.  Everybody who knows him would have been interested.  Maybe he’s not the most famous player in England, but he’s 24 and has played about 200 Bundesliga games for Schalke.

“He is a top-class centre-half, very young but experienced.  You don’t have that too often.  To be honest, when I had my break I thought for the next club, I should think about Joel, if there was a need.

“He never played for my team, he did the extreme opposite – he played for their biggest opponent!  Maybe that says a lot about his quality.  Even when he played for the team you cannot love as Dortmund manager, you see his quality.  Then that’s real quality.

“The chance was there and Joel wanted to do something different.  He is and was really close to his club; it’s normal, he played there since he was a youth player.  I think there was no chance for another Bundesliga club in this moment, but Liverpool was the right name and the right club.

“Maybe it was a little advantage that I know him and he knows me. He’s still a young player and for a young player, it could help to make the decision when there’s a manager from your home country.

“It’s a good situation, hopefully a win-win.  In this moment, it looks like this.  Now he has to stay healthy and after the summer break we can start working together.”

Klopp is confident Matip’s attributes are well-suited to the demands of the Barclays Premier League, and with room for further improvement for a player who has amassed 27 caps at international level.

He added: “He’s a real centre-half.  He is physically strong, a really tall boy – taller than me!  It doesn’t happen too often that I have to [looks upwards].

“He’s quick, he’s flexible in his movements and good in technical things.  He has played in different systems, with four or three defenders.  He scores goals, four or five per season minimum.  He is good in the one-on-one and quick.  It’s a package.

“He has to learn, that’s normal, but he has learned a lot in the last few years and made big steps in his development.  For us, it was a chance.  You can’t always make transfers only to solve a problem.

“I know people are saying our defence isn’t that good.  We have to defend better as a team, first of all.  It’s not for solving a problem – it’s a transfer with a really good perspective for the future, a long-term thing.  But he can help immediately and that’s really good for us.”
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #84: Feb 17, 2016 12:44:33 am
      He might play in midfield a couple of times when needed, but he's coming in here to play at CB. I'm confident of that.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #85: Feb 17, 2016 02:42:48 am
      So the Boss was already thinking about getting him for whichever Club he ended up managing after his sabbatical.  I wonder who else he's had his eye on  ;D

It was confirmed on Monday that the Cameroon international will make a switch to the Reds after the conclusion of his current deal with Bundesliga side Schalke.

The 24-year-old has built up a wealth of experience since his senior debut in 2009 and represented his country at each of the past two World Cups.

Klopp observed Matip closely while in charge of Borussia Dortmund and was so impressed by the performances he witnessed, the German shortlisted him as a potential recruit for his next team during a sabbatical from the game before taking charge at Anfield.

The manager told Liverpoolfc.com: “I am very happy.  Everybody who knows him would have been interested.  Maybe he’s not the most famous player in England, but he’s 24 and has played about 200 Bundesliga games for Schalke.

“He is a top-class centre-half, very young but experienced.  You don’t have that too often.  To be honest, when I had my break I thought for the next club, I should think about Joel, if there was a need.

“He never played for my team, he did the extreme opposite – he played for their biggest opponent!  Maybe that says a lot about his quality.  Even when he played for the team you cannot love as Dortmund manager, you see his quality.  Then that’s real quality.

“The chance was there and Joel wanted to do something different.  He is and was really close to his club; it’s normal, he played there since he was a youth player.  I think there was no chance for another Bundesliga club in this moment, but Liverpool was the right name and the right club.

“Maybe it was a little advantage that I know him and he knows me. He’s still a young player and for a young player, it could help to make the decision when there’s a manager from your home country.

“It’s a good situation, hopefully a win-win.  In this moment, it looks like this.  Now he has to stay healthy and after the summer break we can start working together.”

Klopp is confident Matip’s attributes are well-suited to the demands of the Barclays Premier League, and with room for further improvement for a player who has amassed 27 caps at international level.

He added: “He’s a real centre-half.  He is physically strong, a really tall boy – taller than me!  It doesn’t happen too often that I have to [looks upwards].

“He’s quick, he’s flexible in his movements and good in technical things.  He has played in different systems, with four or three defenders.  He scores goals, four or five per season minimum.  He is good in the one-on-one and quick.  It’s a package.

“He has to learn, that’s normal, but he has learned a lot in the last few years and made big steps in his development.  For us, it was a chance.  You can’t always make transfers only to solve a problem.

“I know people are saying our defence isn’t that good.  We have to defend better as a team, first of all.  It’s not for solving a problem – it’s a transfer with a really good perspective for the future, a long-term thing.  But he can help immediately and that’s really good for us.”

It's nice to see that Jürgen wanted him before he ever came here.  Suggests he should be a top class CB that will fit perfectly with the gaffer's tactics!!

Now if we can just get him to stop off in Dortmund and bring Auba with him when he comes.....
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #86: Feb 17, 2016 07:03:56 am
      Proof that Jürgen is calling the shots in terms of transfers, good to see.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #87: Feb 17, 2016 12:10:11 pm
      Delighted. Welcome to the club Joel.

Been as good as done as far back as January but nice to have confirmation.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #88: Feb 17, 2016 03:17:58 pm
      Has he pulled his hamstring yet? :laugh:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #89: Feb 17, 2016 05:45:25 pm
      Proof that Jürgen is calling the shots in terms of transfers, good to see.

Yeah, a 24 year old free transfer ... bet Jürgen really had to fight to get his way with this one mate :)

hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #90: Feb 17, 2016 07:51:28 pm
      Signed him on FIFA a few months back and he is class.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #91: Feb 17, 2016 09:24:53 pm
      Bild are saying he'll be on roughly £103k pw.

Quick Reply