Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Very outside chance of Champions League in 16-17. Question is...

Read 15847 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Very outside chance of Champions League in 16-17. Question is...
      Reply #23: Mar 05, 2016 03:15:04 am
      Probably the Europa League and i'd rather do it that way given we'd get a trophy as well.

Could still do both if we hit the right form. Having Divock and Danny back gives us a big boost.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #24: Mar 05, 2016 08:28:01 am
      Going to be a big ask. If we played like Wednesday in most games and most teams played like City it would certainly be on but you just know there are more games to come when the tempo not high and Pulis / Pardew teams wont play on floor and allow this and just get it from A to B as quick as possible not allowing a press
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #25: Mar 05, 2016 08:36:56 am
      Exactly right.

Our team is set up to beat teams that play like City (and Southampton). We beat them again.

The ones who are creaming their pants the hardest are those who somehow convinced themselves it would be a "miracle" if we had beaten them at Wembley -mainly to deflect any criticism of Klopp. Let's be clear - the "we don't have enough quality to beat City" excuse has been shown up for what it is. We had the capability - we just screwed up. The truth sometimes hurts but there you go.

We still need to prove we can beat all the other types of teams that we have struggled with if we want to progress in either competition.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #26: Mar 05, 2016 09:05:22 am
      Europa league. Arsenal and City will do enough to stay in the top four (it wouldn't surprise me if City ended up winning the league). We need a good end to the season though if we want to have an easier time of convincing players like Gotze to join us.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #27: Mar 05, 2016 10:12:32 am
      Liverpool will keep title chances alive if there is a draw in todays London derby.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #28: Mar 05, 2016 10:21:34 am
      Europa league. Arsenal and City will do enough to stay in the top four (it wouldn't surprise me if City ended up winning the league). We need a good end to the season though if we want to have an easier time of convincing players like Gotze to join us.

It might surprise you but it certainly would me if Citeh win the league, for that to happen Leicester, Spurs and the gooners all have to choke whilst Citeh go on an unbeaten run, it's not going to happen. I still reckon it's Arsenal's to lose.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #29: Mar 05, 2016 11:45:08 am
      The Europa League is more achievable.

I don't just see it as a gateway to the Champions League, though. I see it as yet another European trophy for us, which we've needed since 2007.

Liverpool will keep title chances alive if there is a draw in todays London derby.

Wat.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #30: Mar 05, 2016 12:52:16 pm
      The Europa League is more achievable.

I don't just see it as a gateway to the Champions League, though. I see it as yet another European trophy for us, which we've needed since 2007.

Exactly. Both are long shots at the moment, but we are playing catch up in the league whereas we are on level ground with all teams left in Europa.  Also, the EL is more than just a route back to the CL -- it's a trophy for the cabinet!!!   Finally, it's extremely difficult to beat any team 3x over a single season, so we should  (in theory) be due a result against the Scum.  Get past them and we're into the quarterfinals.

All in for the EL!!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #31: Mar 05, 2016 12:54:12 pm
      Personally I don't think we have a chance in any scenario.

But which route Id like best? it's has to be via the winning of the Europa League.

4th is nothing.

Winning the Europa League means we WIN a trophy, and we also knock out the scum.

No contest.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #32: Mar 05, 2016 02:09:13 pm
      Arsenal losing, win our 2 games in hand on them and we could potentially go within just 5 points off them also.

They have West Ham, Everton and City away on the run-in, all very tough games for a team still in the CL and apparently collapsing.

Certainly improves our chances if Spurs can beat them today.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #33: Mar 05, 2016 02:10:22 pm
      Arsenal losing, win our 2 games in hand on them and we could potentially go within just 5 points off them also.

They have West Ham, Everton and City away on the run-in, all very tough games for a team still in the CL and apparently collapsing.

Cmon Spuds !! :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34: Mar 05, 2016 02:30:10 pm

2-2 now but Arsenal have had a player sent off.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #35: Mar 05, 2016 02:39:08 pm
      2-2 now but Arsenal have had a player sent off.

Yeah mate it was when Arsenal were 1-0 up, thought they'd collapsed can't believe Spuds let them back in it, great for Leicester.

Arsenal nearly winning it at the death too.

That point might make a massive difference, we're 11 goals behind on GD. Considering they'd have to lose 2 to let us sneak in with a chance you can look at that as effectively 9 and us winning our 2 in hand meaning 7 goals to make up in the other games or of course more than 1 in any of these 2 games in hand.

Need to tonk someone 4 or 5 and we'd be in with a shout of overhauling that, not a big shout of course but with Studge coming back and Origi looking better all the time I'm not abandoning hope, belief yes we need a F***ing miracle but we have Robbie to call on in a crisis.

At least we're now chasing 2 potential teams to slip up.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #36: Mar 05, 2016 02:40:19 pm
      Would expect City to rip Villa a new one today, so makes tomorrow a must win to not fall further behind 4th placed side.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #37: Mar 05, 2016 02:43:40 pm
      Would expect City to rip Villa a new one today, so makes tomorrow a must win to not fall further behind 4th placed side.

Villa are due a win  :lmao:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #38: Mar 05, 2016 03:25:56 pm
      Which route to qualification is more achievable for Liverpool?

Top 4? or
      Winning the Europa League?

Firstly, I don't think we're anywhere near good enough to achieve either of those things yet.

BUT...

The league - we are (when you take GD into account) effectively 7 points outside the top four and have 11 games left.
      We are a potential 7 games away from winning the Europa League.

I still think that the Europa League should be our main focus.  I don't think we are going to be anywhere near consistent enough in the League over 11 games - I reckon we would need about 9 wins to have any hope.

But the Europa League is two legs to the final.  Possible we can be average in one leg and decent in the other and still get through.

Look at the last two games against Man City as an example.

What do you think? Which basket should we be throwing our eggs into?
      Top 4.... but neither will happen realistically, but we all live in hope 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #39: Mar 05, 2016 07:22:43 pm

Disappointed that F***ing Everton couldn't win today. When I went out they were bloody winning too. Puts us 8 points behind West ham with 2 games in hand.

Good draw between Chelsea and Stoke as I was beginning to worry about Chelsea overtaking us.

Don't know why I am bothered really... I gave up on the league a while back :)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Mar 05, 2016 07:33:42 pm
      Disappointed that f**king Everton couldn't win today. When I went out they were bloody winning too. Puts us 8 points behind West ham with 2 games in hand.

Good draw between Chelsea and Stoke as I was beginning to worry about Chelsea overtaking us.

Don't know why I am bothered really... I gave up on the league a while back :)

So did I mate...

As you said they've drawn us back in. We can forget everything if we don't win tomorrow, thankfully I think we will do. All we can is put as much pressure as possible and hope to pick up the pieces.

Getting really condensed that 3rd down to ourselves, should mean more of those involved have to play each other and therefore inevitably lose points.

Hope over belief right now but at least there is hope.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #41: Mar 05, 2016 07:39:32 pm
      So did I mate...

As you said they've drawn us back in. We can forget everything if we don't win tomorrow, thankfully I think we will do. All we can is put as much pressure as possible and hope to pick up the pieces.

Getting really condensed that 3rd down to ourselves, should mean more of those involved have to play each other and therefore inevitably lose points.

Hope over belief right now but at least there is hope.

Problem is we have a pretty easy run in... so it's all the teams we usually struggle against :)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #42: Mar 05, 2016 07:48:36 pm
      Problem is we have a pretty easy run in... so it's all the teams we usually struggle against :)

:lmao:

Fair enough point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #43: Mar 05, 2016 08:04:46 pm
      The way this season is going, not for us but the Premier League in general, anything is possible. It's so unpredictable this season.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #44: Mar 05, 2016 08:48:59 pm
      The way this season is going, not for us but the Premier League in general, anything is possible. It's so unpredictable this season.

The only predictable thing is that Leicester keep winning.....
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 665 posts | 86 
      Reply #45: Mar 05, 2016 11:31:03 pm
      Poor form from those who have indicated one way or another. Please remember we are Liverpool Football Club and we only ever should concentrate on the next game. That is what our values are based on.  Every manager in our history have always told us that especially King Kenny so what are we playing at on here.

Quick Reply