Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Very outside chance of Champions League in 16-17. Question is...

Read 15848 times
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Very outside chance of Champions League in 16-17. Question is...
      Reply #46: Mar 05, 2016 11:39:31 pm
      Leicester +3, Tottenham +1, Arsenal +1, Man City +3, West Ham +3 current top five teams all gain point yesterday.  :mad:

We have to win this game (Crystal Palace) just to keep up else we will be further behind.  >:(

coyr
       :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :clap: :clap: :clap:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #47: Mar 05, 2016 11:41:52 pm
      The only predictable thing is that Leicester keep winning.....

It's not though is it, you'd expect them to beat WBA but they struggled to get 1 point.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #48: Mar 06, 2016 01:25:40 am
      It's not though is it, you'd expect them to beat WBA but they struggled to get 1 point.

I have expected them to hit a wall all season, but they keep finding ways to win, and they keep doing it more consistently than anyone else.  Today was another example of that.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #49: Mar 06, 2016 09:16:31 am
      Personally I think this is totally achievable in the League anyway... The teams occupying the top 4 all seem to want to give it up - take yesterdays NLD. Arsenal go one up (from that position they would normally win) but get a lad sent off and concede 2 in 2 mins. Spurs, in the lead at home against 10 men then fluff their lines and concede to get a point.

There is nothing to say that either City or Arsenal will not drop the required 6 points for us to catch them in the next 8 / 9 games.

The Europa will require us to beat Utd followed by either Dortmund, Spurs, Ath Bilbao, Latzio, Saville, Valencia or Bayer. All of those would be very tough games and perhaps a little too much for us.

Out of interest, if we reach the Final and our opponents are in a CL space does that mean we would get it?

Its been a topsy turvey season - and who knows!     
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #50: Mar 06, 2016 11:34:54 am
      There is nothing to say that either City or Arsenal will not drop the required 6 points for us to catch them in the next 8 / 9 games.

True but there probably is zero chance of us winning 11 games as well.

In the last 12 years we have only finished within 2 places (1 in 11 of those years) of where we were after 27 games.  So I'm expecting between 6th and 10th.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #51: Mar 06, 2016 05:55:36 pm
      Chances improved today by quite a distance to be honest.

United's goal difference is not much better than ours, it's essentially in our own hands where they're concerned now.

Difference between the sides, they go a man down and then lose the game from a drawing position, we go a man down and come back from a losing position. Says a lot about team spirit that especially when you watch they only had 1 shot on target the entire game I think.

Has to give us confidence going into Thursday too, cracking day.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #52: Mar 06, 2016 06:05:17 pm

United's goal difference is not much better than ours, it's essentially in our own hands where they're concerned now.

Difference between the sides, they go a man down and then lose the game from a drawing position, we go a man down and come back from a losing position. Says a lot about team spirit that especially when you watch they only had 1 shot on target the entire game I think.

I think we can pick them off alright Luke, but West Ham and those above might be another matter. The game Thursday though is massively important, and not even in the sense that I think if we beat them we'll gon onto win the Europa League (I don't). I just think if we can put them in their place and overtake them in the league (even if we do end up 5th/6th), even if we end up getting put out in Europe by a proper good team, we'll have put a marker down for next season. We'll all come back fired up (even the players might you never know!) and I'm absolutely certain there'll be a better feeling about Melwood. If we lose out to them over two legs, a fall away in the league is almost inevitable and then there'll be a "start again" feeling about next season. For both clubs this two legger is massive. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #53: Mar 06, 2016 06:11:40 pm
      I just hate the mancs and want to win.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #54: Mar 06, 2016 06:16:06 pm
      I think we can pick them off alright Luke, but West Ham and those above might be another matter. The game Thursday though is massively important, and not even in the sense that I think if we beat them we'll gon onto win the Europa League (I don't). I just think if we can put them in their place and overtake them in the league (even if we do end up 5th/6th), even if we end up getting put out in Europe by a proper good team, we'll have put a marker down for next season. We'll all come back fired up (even the players might you never know!) and I'm absolutely certain there'll be a better feeling about Melwood. If we lose out to them over two legs, a fall away in the league is almost inevitable and then there'll be a "start again" feeling about next season. For both clubs this two legger is massive. 

I definitely think we'll pick them off after today's results. I thought we would even if they won there but being bang on their tails now I think we're the ones with momentum right now. Things are starting to fall for us in terms of players coming back I just hope our midfield doesn't cost us because in defence and in attack I'm starting to have great confidence.

West Ham are most certainly the fly in the oitment, if it wasn't for Leicester then Bilic would be walking manager of the year without question.

In terms of what the effect of the 2 legs against United might have on our league fortunes I'm not sure, I think win or lose we'll finish ahead of them. I could see a case for us totally smashing them and that totally finishing them off, they seem like a boxer just waiting for that knock-out punch and we're shaping up as if we're ready to deliver it.

Firmino/Coutinho/Studge against these at the back will score many goals over 2 legs in my opinion, can't wait for it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #55: Mar 06, 2016 06:18:27 pm

Agree Luke.

4th is achievable.

6 off CL   and 3 off the Mancs with a game in hand.

Have to be honest.
      Where would be sitting now if we had had a world class goalie and less injuries. ?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #56: Mar 06, 2016 07:21:48 pm
      Probably the same place as Brwndan under the same circumstances.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #57: Mar 06, 2016 08:27:18 pm
      I still think it's a long shot given the inconsistency of the side (fook knows how we won today!) but it certainly looks better than a few weeks ago. I'd be surprised if City or Arsenal drop enough points to drop down though. I just wanna get past the mancs in the Europa League.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #58: Mar 06, 2016 08:38:11 pm
      To be honest I really wouldn't mind if we don't have CL next season.  I want to see who is going to jump ship in the summer.  If Coutinho wants to leave because we don't have CL then let him go.  And let's see who wants to join us despite not having CL.  That way we know who is really committed to the cause and not just staying/coming because of CL. 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #59: Mar 06, 2016 08:46:15 pm
      To be honest I really wouldn't mind if we don't have CL next season.  I want to see who is going to jump ship in the summer.  If Coutinho wants to leave because we don't have CL then let him go.  And let's see who wants to join us despite not having CL.  That way we know who is really committed to the cause and not just staying/coming because of CL. 

What makes you think Cou wants to leave us if we don't have CL?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #60: Mar 06, 2016 10:05:19 pm

Thats a noble thought Fed and it has my backing.

Back to who wants to play for the shirt  ..... for who we still are ...... our history.

However if Jürgen can keep polishing this turd of a team and get us into the top four then its up to FSG to give him the backing to bring a few key players in.   
      Not 9 FFS.

Just those that will make a difference ... and who wont be in a team with an inexperienced manager that rolls over in the CL again.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #61: Mar 06, 2016 11:17:56 pm
      What makes you think Cou wants to leave us if we don't have CL?

Strong rumours that Barca are sniffing around.  If they came in for him it would be hard to turn it down, surely.

Thats a noble thought Fed and it has my backing.  Back to who wants to play for the shirt  ..... for who we still are ...... our history.

That's part of it for sure.  But I'm also looking at the way the league is changing right now---Leicester could win the league, will definitely at least have CL next season.  Spurs solid CL.  West Ham are also very close to top four, on top of that they'll be moving into a new stadium next season and will be getting even more money then. 

Point being, there used to be maybe 4-6 teams competing for the CL spots, now there will be more like 6-8 each season.  So we might qualify one season, but not qualify the next.  I think the days are gone now of some teams being 100% locks each season for CL.  So we need to focus on players who will be here for the years when we DO have Champions League, but who won't bolt if we don't qualify for it the next season. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #62: Mar 06, 2016 11:30:40 pm
      Strong rumours that Barca are sniffing around.  If they came in for him it would be hard to turn it down, surely.

There was an interview just before the cup final when Coutinho said even if Barcelona make an offer this summer, he wouldn't be leaving as he wants to work with Klopp.

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #63: Mar 06, 2016 11:35:11 pm

That's part of it for sure.  But I'm also looking at the way the league is changing right now---Leicester could win the league, will definitely at least have CL next season.  Spurs solid CL.  West Ham are also very close to top four, on top of that they'll be moving into a new stadium next season and will be getting even more money then. 

Point being, there used to be maybe 4-6 teams competing for the CL spots, now there will be more like 6-8 each season.  So we might qualify one season, but not qualify the next.  I think the days are gone now of some teams being 100% locks each season for CL.  So we need to focus on players who will be here for the years when we DO have Champions League, but who won't bolt if we don't qualify for it the next season.

So Coutinho has stuck with us all these seasons we haven't been in the CL and you want to see if he jumps ship to attract someone who doesn't have the ambition to do so?

It's a freak season - if Mou goes to United, next seasons top four will be City, Arsenal and two of Chelsea, Spurs, United and maybe us. Five and a half contenders max - highly unlikely to be eight.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #64: Mar 06, 2016 11:47:46 pm
      However if Jürgen can keep polishing this turd of a team and get us into the top four then its up to FSG to give him the backing to bring a few key players in.

That's my worry mate. No point getting CL if we can't really compete because we haven't the quality players. All that will do is damage our confidence and affect our league form.

As I said before, I am not sure we are ready for CL. Obviously the money is great and it will help attract the better players, but another early exit and possible damage to our league form is something we can do without.

Love the CL BUT we need at least to be able to compete this time rather than just playing the reserves and hoping we can keep the score down.

As always quality not just quantity IF we get it.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #65: Mar 07, 2016 12:05:31 am
      Back to who wants to play for the shirt  ..... for who we still are ...... our history.
      I know for a F***ing, stonewall, fact I could gather a couple of dozen of my mates [with me, of course] who would be 'committed to the cause' and would definitely play for the Reds without Champions League football.

None of us are better than Coutinho but hey... if all it takes to keep the simple folk happy is for us to show a willingness to play for Liverpool; who gives a F**k whether or not we'll win anything: right? :nod:

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #66: Mar 07, 2016 12:36:06 am

Totally disagree.  Our performance today showed me exactly why we won't finish in the top 4.

Don't do it to yourself!

There was an interview just before the cup final when Coutinho said even if Barcelona make an offer this summer, he wouldn't be leaving as he wants to work with Klopp.

Two things.

a) he's lying
      b) Barcelona won't be interested in Coutinho.  He's good but he's nowhere near good enough to replace anyone in the Barcelona side.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #67: Mar 07, 2016 01:07:04 am

You're right, of course, but I'm already committed to hope now mate. I don't for a moment believe we will but... :lmao:
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #68: Mar 07, 2016 01:23:12 am

;D

Yeah that's what my first thought was too.  Players say things all the time that they don't mean.  I would love to think that Coutinho really wants to stay to work with Klopp but come on, if Barca come in for him, double his wages, offer him the chance to be in a nice climate where he can link up with Suarez again, not to mention his best mate Neymar (oh and that bloke called Messi).... I seriously doubt he's going to stay just because he likes Klopp.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that he wouldn't play at Barca.  Of course he's no where near the level of Iniesta, but he's much better than some of the players on their bench, he's much better than Sergi Roberto, Munir, he's for sure better than Arda Turan etc, and they all get quite a bit of game time.  And how many more seasons does Iniesta have at the top?  two maybe?  they could bring Coutinho in, tell him he'll be taking over for Iniesta in a few seasons, and in the mean time he will still play in 20 games a season, probably more than that considering how many games they're pretty much guaranteed each season between the league, CL, Copa del Rey, Club World Cup etc etc.  He would get a lot of game time.

Quick Reply