Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Very outside chance of Champions League in 16-17. Question is...

Read 15843 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Re: Very outside chance of Champions League in 16-17. Question is...
      Reply #69: Mar 07, 2016 09:51:33 am
      I don't think Coutinho gets near that Barca starting line-up BUT I suspect there will be a few Champions League regular sides who would be interested in the lad, particularly if they know he signed his next contract on the cheap (just consider that Milner earns double his weekly wages). I think that he is only player we might fear leaving, I also have a suspicion that Studge may want to move on but can't see that anyone would pay him what he earns here.

As for finishing top 4 this season, i'm a bot like Fed on this one, I don't think it's the be all and end all but I would like us to be playing European football so a top 6 place is needed for that so it will still be a challenge with the mancs and West Ham currently above us in the table.

Either way i'm happy we've got the right manager in place and am excited about the summer and next season already before this one has even finished.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #70: Mar 07, 2016 10:17:29 am
      Whilst it's still mathematically possible there's always a chance.

Of course other factors come into it but all we can do is keep getting 3 points and see where we are come May.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #71: Mar 07, 2016 12:13:42 pm
      Whilst it's still mathematically possible there's always a chance.

Of course other factors come into it but all we can do is keep getting 3 points and see where we are come May.

It's where I'm at Debbs, if the numbers state it's possible then you continue to achieve that target, still reckon there are twist to happen involving Arsenal,Scum & City allowing us in...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #72: Mar 07, 2016 12:35:04 pm
      If we get past the mancs in Europa & get above them in the league I will be a very happy chappy.

Realistically top 6 will be a decent season considering how average our league form has been.

But top 4 is not that far off, esp. if we win our game in hand.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #73: Mar 07, 2016 12:36:07 pm
      It's where I'm at Debbs, if the numbers state it's possible then you continue to achieve that target, still reckon there are twist to happen involving Arsenal,Scum & City allowing us in...

Absolutely there will be Shabs. 

All the teams above us still have to play each other so there will be points dropped by someone.  Our inconsistency has been an issue this season but apart from Leicester no one else has been consistent either so as with every other season, anybody who now goes on a decent run will have a chance.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #74: Mar 07, 2016 12:59:38 pm
      We have still to play spuds, Southampton, Chavski & stoke, not easy games, but games v teams in and around top 6. Good games to win and move up the table, or even just to stay near the top 4.

Our last 4 league games are all what you would call very winnable. Newcastle, Swansea, Watford & West Brom.  Some of them may have a relegation fight or might be down or safe. could be interesting.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #75: Mar 12, 2016 03:37:53 pm
      City drawing with Norwich gives us another edge, now win our game in hand and we're only 4 or 5 points behind 2 targets. I know people have dismissed this as no chance but things are falling into place right now as long as we do our job (obviously the most difficult).

From 3rd - 8th I don't think I can ever remember it being this close.

Away to Southampton our next game, as all our games will be right now is going to be massive in terms of turning the pressure up further. Win that and I'd honestly say we'll go very close indeed.

Getting more interesting.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #76: Mar 12, 2016 04:07:04 pm
      Think we broke City when we beat them in the league and they can't seem to get over the fact they are out of the title race yet. It will be tough to catch them even now, and we aint the only ones in the chasing pack, but it gives us a focus in a league campaign that looked to be drifting to a mid table finish.

Klopp has been with this team for a while now and he will be getting more time on the training field in between games, so it will be interesting to see what impact he can have on the team.

We just need to look after ourselves really. Any slip ups from above and around us our welcome but if we put together an unbeaten run, then we won't be far off 4th when they count the numbers up at the end of the season regardless.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #77: Mar 13, 2016 01:41:04 pm
      Potentially 4 points off if we win our game in hand. It ain't over! Tough couple of games coming up though in Southampton (A), Spurs (H) and Stoke (H). If we can nick two wins from there, we then have Bournemouth, Newcastle, Swansea, West Brom and Watford.

Knowing us, we'll win the first 3 and lose the rest though :D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #78: Mar 13, 2016 02:04:32 pm
      It's not the winning or losing, its the hope that kills you and worryingly for my health I have started to feel the renewed stirrings of hope in my heart.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #79: Mar 13, 2016 02:07:46 pm
      I think Arsenal could give up the top four spot for us. Hectic schedule they have.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #80: Mar 13, 2016 04:07:08 pm
      I think Arsenal could give up the top four spot for us. Hectic schedule they have.

I have a feeling that both Arsenal and Citeh are about to enter freefall, actually they are probably already in it, it's all to play for but we need to get more consistent and for Sturridge to stay injury free AND start scoring some goals for us.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #81: Mar 13, 2016 05:44:25 pm

That's a great point. Also, is there a more spineless team in the league than Arsenal? (Besides us, sometimes :laugh:) That said, Wenger always manages to pull top 4 out of his ass every year, so it'd definitely be a big shock if they drop out.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #82: Mar 13, 2016 06:45:55 pm
      That's a great point. Also, is there a more spineless team in the league than Arsenal? (Besides us, sometimes :laugh:) That said, Wenger always manages to pull top 4 out of his ass every year, so it'd definitely be a big shock if they drop out.

Think both Citeh's and Arsenal's arses have gone. United are woeful - so IF - and its a big IF given our Jekyll & Hyde of a season - we can string some wins together, we could make a push for it.

Will be close, and I think we may fall 2 - 4 points short in the end. Beat the mancs soundly though on Thursday and I think their season will be ruined as well :) :) :)
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #83: Mar 13, 2016 09:51:47 pm
      Think both Citeh's and Arsenal's arses have gone. United are woeful - so IF - and its a big IF given our Jekyll & Hyde of a season - we can string some wins together, we could make a push for it.

Will be close, and I think we may fall 2 - 4 points short in the end. Beat the mancs soundly though on Thursday and I think their season will be ruined as well :) :) :)

thats right mate the question is are we going to push up?? up to you Jürgen, all the best.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #84: Mar 14, 2016 10:18:17 am
      Back door has been left open for us, we need to make it count.

I have a feeling we are going to be unbeaten in our remaining games..
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #85: Mar 14, 2016 07:22:41 pm
      To qualify for the Champion's League obviously a huge task either way, but winning the Europa League would be fantastic in my view. To qualify for the major European club competition  with silverware achieved, would be brilliant.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #86: Mar 14, 2016 10:58:40 pm
      Back door has been left open for us, we need to make it count.

I have a feeling we are going to be unbeaten in our remaining games..

Nothing like going in through the back door eh ?:) !
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #87: Mar 15, 2016 03:02:36 am
      From no hope I all of a sudden feel we have half a chance of top 4.
      On paper our run in is OK particularly if we can win at the weekend. With Arsenal going to Everton and City playing Utd there's the possibility of them lot dropping more points....could be an interesting run in yet
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #88: Mar 15, 2016 08:21:47 am
      Southampton game is massive now, if we can win there, it keeps the momentum going. And we jump above them in the table.

Lomg way to go folks, 3rd to 7th is so close we could finish anywhere.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #89: Mar 15, 2016 01:33:19 pm
      Europa League is the best shot due to our inconsistent form.  But, all it takes is for us to go on a winning run of 6 or 7 games and those around us drop points (already happened this season) and we could find ourselves in 4th spot
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #90: Mar 15, 2016 09:53:58 pm
      We were in similar situation the last time on the verge of winning the title, perhaps lack of concentration or complacency that let us down and we had an easier run in compared to others. Consistency is our worst enemy at the moment. Beating the big boys and drawing and loosing against lesser opponents is something we need to address seriously in the remaining games. I will now ask the lads to give their best shot in the remaining games, top 4 is still possible.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #91: Mar 19, 2016 05:27:06 pm
      Win our two games in hand and we are level fifth .... with one point off fourth place.

Quick Reply