Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Audacious bids & near misses

Read 4775 times
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 987 posts | 258 
      Audacious bids & near misses
      Mar 11, 2016 01:47:20 pm
      I was just discussing what kind of bid it would take to swoop in for Aubameyang and Reus in this summers transfer window, the possibility of a swap with Benteke and Balotelli seems quite ambitious and it got me thinking of some of the more audacious bids in football or near misses.

Obviously Arsenals £40,000,001 bid for Suarez comes to mind.

I also remember hearing that Sheffield United could of signed Maradona for £200,000 but opted out.

Any other transfer attempts where you may have questioned what club owners were smoking?

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Audacious bids & near misses
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2016 01:54:33 pm
      I was just discussing what kind of bid it would take to swoop in for Aubameyang and Reus in this summers transfer window, the possibility of a swap with Benteke and Balotelli seems quite ambitious and it got me thinking of some of the more audacious bids in football or near misses.

Obviously Arsenals £40,000,001 bid for Suarez comes to mind.

I also remember hearing that Sheffield United could of signed Maradona for £200,000 but opted out.

Any other transfer attempts where you may have questioned what club owners were smoking?

£35m Andy Carroll would be near the top of my list to be honest, unfortunately it's not in the near miss column.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2016 10:16:17 pm
      £75m for Suarez was highway robbery.

We robbed city getting what we did for Sterling.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #3: Mar 11, 2016 10:20:37 pm
      Loads of near misses Ronaldo, Cazorla, Aguero just to name a few.

Lack of ambition has been a major issue.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2016 10:30:06 pm
      Missing out on Deli Is going to really hurt.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #5: Mar 11, 2016 10:45:37 pm
      Missing out on Deli Is going to really hurt.

Yup spot on FL we may have missed out on a real talent who is also a LFC fan. What a combination!

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Mar 11, 2016 11:05:23 pm
      Michael Laudrup and Nemanja Vidic. Both deals arranged until we tried to alter them. Laudrup we wanted an extra year on the contract, Vidic we wanted to save money by paying less than his buyout.   
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #7: Mar 12, 2016 02:49:45 am
      I thought Simao was a big miss. Imagine him , Kuyt and Torres as our front 3.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Mar 12, 2016 09:27:24 am
      Dani Alves always comes to mind for a miss.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,183 posts | 1631 
      Reply #9: Mar 12, 2016 01:11:12 pm
      Not so much a near miss as such but for about 3 consecutive summers this board was awash with David Villa transfer rumours :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: Mar 12, 2016 01:11:41 pm
      Not so much a near miss as such but for about 3 consecutive summers this board was awash with David Villa transfer rumours :D

And Arda Turan! :laugh:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #11: Mar 12, 2016 01:49:15 pm
      £75m for Suarez was highway robbery.

Indeed FL and Luis would pop up a lot in any honest discussion.

I'd suffer three Andy F***ing Carroll's [who we only "lost" £17.5m on] every time, if he came with one Luis Suarez... anyone who wouldn't is a mealy-mouthed c**t.  ;D

* We robbed Ajax.

* We were robbed by Barca.

* We were robbed by Milan... twice - "Worth the gamble..."  :lmao:

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #12: Mar 12, 2016 02:09:23 pm
      Cantona and Schmichael ...

Graeme Souness has revealed how he passed up the opportunity to sign future Manchester United greats Peter Schmeichel and Eric Cantona during his time in charge of Liverpool.

The Scot, who was Reds manager between 1991 and 1994, was recommended Cantona by Michel Platini but was worried the Frenchman would prove a troublemaker.

And Schmeichel, who went on to become United's greatest goalkeeper, wrote to Liverpool asking for a trial but Souness did not take him up on his request.

The former Rangers, Blackburn and Newcastle manager said he regretted both decisions.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Mar 12, 2016 02:48:26 pm
      Didn't Zidane nearly go to Blackburn but they turned him down in the end?

You could list every footballer under the sun for us, we've been linked to that many. Was disappointed we missed out on Sanchez because he and Antonio Di Natale were a big reason for me tuning in to Serie A and watching Udinese a few seasons back. I love his type of footballer, so much passion and aggression in his play with brilliant ability.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #14: Mar 12, 2016 02:49:24 pm
      No love for Fabian Delph in here?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #15: Mar 13, 2016 07:43:44 pm
      Cantona and Schmichael ...

Graeme Souness has revealed how he passed up the opportunity to sign future Manchester United greats Peter Schmeichel and Eric Cantona during his time in charge of Liverpool.

The Scot, who was Reds manager between 1991 and 1994, was recommended Cantona by Michel Platini but was worried the Frenchman would prove a troublemaker.

And Schmeichel, who went on to become United's greatest goalkeeper, wrote to Liverpool asking for a trial but Souness did not take him up on his request.

The former Rangers, Blackburn and Newcastle manager said he regretted both decisions.

Schmeichel obviously would've been brilliant for us, but there's a good chance that if we had signed Cantona he'd have not been anything special for us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #16: Mar 13, 2016 08:03:15 pm
      So Lee Bowyer, would that have been a good or bad signing?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17: Mar 13, 2016 09:34:02 pm
      Schmeichel obviously would've been brilliant for us, but there's a good chance that if we had signed Cantona he'd have not been anything special for us.

The manc players credit Cantona with being a leader and focusing their application to training and getting results by getting them to do more than was asked of them. I don't think our players at that time were much different talent wise to the mancs, but we could certainly have used a leader to help focus our players on what was important.

Certainly doubt the passing the coin games during matches would have happened with Cantona in the team.   
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #18: Mar 13, 2016 10:20:16 pm
      David Silva forever linked to us whilst at Valencia from what I recall we were very close.

Gareth Barry.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #19: Mar 14, 2016 11:42:07 am
      Certainly doubt the passing the coin games during matches would have happened with Cantona in the team.   

Would he have ended up shagging someone's wife like what is supposed to have happened at Leeds ;)

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Mar 14, 2016 12:22:43 pm
      Would he have ended up shagging someone's wife like what is supposed to have happened at Leeds ;)

Never heard that mate, would explain why he left Leeds so quickly and so cheaply.

Paul Gascoigne. Promised Kenny that he would wait till we had some money to buy him as we had just spent all our money.... on bringing Rushie back I think...he was supposedly desperate to sign for us. Told Ferguson the same thing as well though, then signed for Spurs because they promised his parents a house.

Not sure if he would have been a great signing or a liability to be honest.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #21: Mar 14, 2016 12:25:47 pm
      Never heard that mate, would explain why he left Leeds so quickly and so cheaply.

There was a rumour that Cuntandahalf had a bit of naughty fun with Leslie Ash behind Lee Chapman's back.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #22: Mar 14, 2016 12:32:03 pm
      Didn't Zidane nearly go to Blackburn but they turned him down in the end?

Supposedly King Kenny wanted to sign him but the Blackburn owner turned around and asked him why he'd want to sign Zidane when he's got Tim Sherwood.

Pretty sure I read that the Icelandic Volcano that erupted stopped them from signing Lewandowski a few years ago aswell.

Quick Reply