Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Ian Ayre to step down

Read 11484 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Ian Ayre to step down
      Mar 14, 2016 06:01:08 pm
      https://twitter.com/pjoyceexpress/status/709438940378435584

On phone in pub so tricky to copy and paste article.

Sure more to follow.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Ian Ayre to step down
      Reply #1: Mar 14, 2016 06:02:27 pm
      +12
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #2: Mar 14, 2016 06:05:23 pm
      THANK FECK!
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #3: Mar 14, 2016 06:07:28 pm
      On official now. Good news.
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #4: Mar 14, 2016 06:08:47 pm
      NESV on a role ! TC next please.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Mar 14, 2016 06:09:23 pm

There's been rumours of this happening for well over 12 months now.  The rumour being he's accepted a job with Standard Chartered but he may well have decided to go on a round the world trip on his harley.

Confirmed: Liverpool chief set for Anfield exit but club insist ticket saga not linked
      IAN AYRE is to step down as Liverpool’s CEO at the end of next season.
      By Paul Joyce
      PUBLISHED: 18:00, Mon, Mar 14, 2016

Ayre informed owners Fenway Sports Group at Christmas of his intention to leave when his current contract expires in May 2017 and they have been unable to persuade him to stay.

Liverpool insist that chronology shows Ayre’s impending departure in 15-months has nothing to do with the recent furore over a proposed hike in ticket prices at Anfield for which he and FSG were heavily criticised.

The club quickly backed down after a protest from supporters and froze prices.

Ayre, 52, will have marked 10-years at Liverpool when he relinquishes his role in the day to day running of the club and today’s announcement comes with the Anfield club beginning the search for a successor.

He said his decision was simply shaped by a realisation it will be the right time for someone with “fresh enthusiasm and vigour” to take over as CEO.

“If becoming Chief Executive of Liverpool Football Club was the greatest honour of my professional life, then deciding to step down at the end of my current contract is by far the most difficult,” said Ayre in a statement.

“Having the privilege to lead this great club comes with huge responsibility and is a challenge, but one which I have relished and I feel proud of my achievements in the role.

“I believe the end of next season is the right time to pass the CEO baton on to a new person, who will take on the challenges and opportunities with a fresh enthusiasm and vigour.

“They will do so supported by what I believe to be the best ownership group in world sport and by a truly excellent team of staff throughout the football club.

“Having been brought up in the shadow of Anfield, I have found it the most profound privilege to serve the club I have supported all my life.

“The driving principle behind every decision I have taken during my time here has been to do the best for the long-term stability and health of this great football club.

“In the remaining 15 months I have as CEO, I will continue to provide FSG, Jürgen, the players and all the brilliant staff at Liverpool ongoing strategic leadership and a smooth transition.”

Ayre, a boyhood Liverpool supporter, joined the club in 2007 as Commercial Director and moved onto the board of directors in 2009.

He was promoted to Managing Director in 2011 and then Chief Executive Office in 2013.

Ayre’s departure will represent a blow to FSG and places enormous emphasis on them headhunting the right replacement.

In a joint statement Principal Owner, John W. Henry, Chairman, Tom Werner and President, Mike Gordon hailed the job Ayre has done in bringing stability to the club.

“Ian advised us of his intention to step down as CEO a few months ago,” they said.

“We asked him on several occasions to take some time to reconsider his decision, but have been unable to convince him to remain as CEO beyond May of 2017.  We will at some point in the near future begin identifying and recruiting a worthy successor to continue to build on the outstanding foundations which have been laid by Ian.

“Under his leadership we have seen Liverpool transform from a club that was on the brink of bankruptcy, to one which today enjoys strong financial and operational health.

“Stability is a commodity often under-valued in sporting organisations, but it has been a fundamental hallmark of Ian’s time in charge. Liverpool will reap the benefits of his outstanding work for many years to come.

“We have always found Ian to be dedicated, honest, passionate and committed to doing the right thing for long-term interests of the football club.  These fit with our own values as owners and we owe him greatly for the personal sacrifices he has made for the club.

“It is typical of the person he is, once again, Ian is putting the club ahead of his own interest in wanting to announce his decision 15 months before he steps down. This now provides us with plenty of time and space to find a suitable successor.”

“There will continue to be important milestones for Liverpool over the next 15 months, not least the completion of the redevelopment at Anfield stadium, and we are grateful that Ian will continue his leadership through to May 2017.”
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #6: Mar 14, 2016 06:10:21 pm

grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #7: Mar 14, 2016 06:14:25 pm
      I really hope that NESV doesn't get an ex-GM from an american team. Franchise sports are completely different than Club Football, not saying that they will never succeed but why risk it.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Mar 14, 2016 06:18:45 pm
      OK folks. we've got just over a year to find someone else to take the piss out of.

:lmao:
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #9: Mar 14, 2016 06:20:44 pm
      I really hope that NESV doesn't get an ex-GM from an american team. Franchise sports are completely different than Club Football, not saying that they will never succeed but why risk it.

That's the worry in this. Ayre might not be popular but we all might end up regretting this in the long run if the appoint the wrong person. There might also be other reasons behind this. Behind the scenes disputes, perhaps? Who knows.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Mar 14, 2016 06:20:49 pm
      Shame it's not May 2016
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #11: Mar 14, 2016 06:43:43 pm
      Why has he given what's basically 18 months notice?

fairly standard for chief exec's to give long notice period.

Bit controversial - but I would try and get David Dein the ex Arsenal chief exec in. Did a decent job at Arsenal
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: Mar 14, 2016 07:05:30 pm

Bit controversial - but I would try and get David Dein the ex Arsenal chief exec in. Did a decent job at Arsenal

At 72 I think it's unlikely but I agree - he's the standard of Chief Exec every club wants at their club.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #13: Mar 14, 2016 07:07:58 pm
      Not sure why anyone thinks this is good news. He gets the piss taken out of him and takes all sorts of abuse, but he's obviously good at his job. It'll be interesting to see who we appoint next. At least FSG will have had almost 2 years to plan for this by the time he actually leaves.

Why has he given what's basically 18 months notice?

His contract expires at the end of that 18 months and as said above, in his position it's fairly standard.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Mar 14, 2016 07:19:41 pm
      I don't really know what to think of Ayre. I've most definitely criticised him in the past but when I think more I realise how little I know about the job he does! Just an opinion but any failure on the player business front and the failure to acquire targeted players are as much to do with the football side (lack of attraction/clear on pitch strategy) and the men above Ayre who decide how much should be offered. I may be wrong but I feel he's just been a facilitator between two sides where their strategic aims have been unclear.

On the commercial front, I'm sure there is lots out there about our dealings since 2010 who have assessed any progress. Can't be bothered searching them out though.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Mar 14, 2016 07:23:47 pm

Good Call that.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16: Mar 14, 2016 07:27:18 pm
      Yeee Haaa!

Would take the ex Southampton CEO.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #17: Mar 14, 2016 07:28:01 pm

Decent shout that.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #18: Mar 14, 2016 07:30:17 pm
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #19: Mar 14, 2016 07:39:50 pm
      I'll be honest, we don't really know what he did so its pretty hard to say if he was good or bad at his job. The fact that FSG tried to persuade him to stay means he was probably a bit better than the figure of fun we made him out to be. Anyone saying with certainty that this is good or bad news hasn't got a clue.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #20: Mar 14, 2016 07:43:48 pm
      Whilst this appears to be good news.....a couple of cliches come to mind that may be appropriate here:

1) The devil you know is better than the devil you don't
      2) Be careful what you wish for

That being said......adios Senor Feckless
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #21: Mar 14, 2016 07:55:50 pm
      Bye Ian... don't let the door hit you on the way out.

For me he was always a good commercial manager promoted beyond his abilities.

Very surprising time to make the change but maybe he sees the Stadium expansion as "his" legacy.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #22: Mar 14, 2016 08:02:00 pm
      The ultimate 'yes' man departs to be replaced by an equally agreeable employee.

Quick Reply