Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Ian Ayre to step down

Read 11485 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Re: Ian Ayre to step down
      Reply #23: Mar 14, 2016 08:07:07 pm
      Not sure why anyone thinks this is good news. He gets the piss taken out of him and takes all sorts of abuse, but he's obviously good at his job. It'll be interesting to see who we appoint next. At least FSG will have had almost 2 years to plan for this by the time he actually leaves.

His contract expires at the end of that 18 months and as said above, in his position it's fairly standard.

Is he though? He was at Huddersfield Town and they plunged into administration during his tenure....

Good at sealing the commercial deals perhaps, but I think the clout and credibility of FSG (business wise certainly) always meant they were going to find new sources of revenue since arriving in 2010 (FSG have certainly modernised us and dragged us into the 21st century after the archaic business practices under previous regimes).

On the football side of things, he has proven himself to be nothing other than disastrous. He recommended the sacking of Rafa, backed the appointment of Hodgson (a sackable offence in its own right) and lumbered on from disastrous deal to disastrous deal due to being one of the key components of the transfer committee.

Perhaps he is just merely a yes man in terms of accepting any vision FSG throw at him, but it is surely the chief executives job to challenge the position and offer alternative views to any proposition from above.

Will it be a case of appointing someone with a brilliant innovative mind, or another yes man?

If its the latter, it will merely be a case of 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #24: Mar 14, 2016 08:23:27 pm
      Bit controversial - but I would try and get David Dein the ex Arsenal chief exec in. Did a decent job at Arsenal

I have been reading a book on Wenger recently. Apparently Wenger is very indecisive when it come to transfers. He knows who he wants, but never wants to pay the price to get them(bit like our owners) but Dein would push the deals through and pay the price to get them.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #25: Mar 14, 2016 08:31:30 pm
      All set for Michael Zorc, the sporting director at Borrusia Dortmund?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #26: Mar 14, 2016 08:36:49 pm
      All set for Michael Zorc, the sporting director at Borrusia Dortmund?

I think Watzke is the CEO at Dortmund. Zorc deals with everything football related... which might be the way forward for us by splitting the role.
      Scottbot

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #27: Mar 14, 2016 08:54:15 pm
      I don't really know what to think of Ayre. I've most definitely criticised him in the past but when I think more I realise how little I know about the job he does! Just an opinion but any failure on the player business front and the failure to acquire targeted players are as much to do with the football side (lack of attraction/clear on pitch strategy) and the men above Ayre who decide how much should be offered. I may be wrong but I feel he's just been a facilitator between two sides where their strategic aims have been unclear.

On the commercial front, I'm sure there is lots out there about our dealings since 2010 who have assessed any progress. Can't be bothered searching them out though.

Same here, clearly he has done a stellar job off the pitch with the commercial deals, the sponsorship deals and various revenue streams. I think what has irked fans (and led to him becoming a figure of fun/dislike) was seeing him become the frontman for transfers for a time. So naturally when we failed in the transfer market he tended to kop a lot of the flack when in truth the blame probably should have laid with the owners transfer policy at times.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #28: Mar 14, 2016 09:07:36 pm
      For me he was always a good commercial manager promoted beyond his abilities.

Agree with this.  Whether you agree or not with football clubs having 10 gazillion sponsors and a tool-utility sponsor, a fast food snack sponsor etc - he was good at all that sh*t.

CEO? Not so good IMO.

Sticking his head in the sand and leaving Kenny to deal with Suarez-gate.
      That whole TV programme and suggesting that Joe Allen has number 69 on his shirt - snigger snigger.
      Last straw was probably that ticketing farce a month or so back - his TV interview after it and his plan for a twitter Q&A (thankfully someone at the club saw sense and pulled that).

I'm sure there's probably loads more but Liverpool need to get a strong head in now and hopefully not a nodding dog to the owners, who let's be honest, know as much about football as I know about baseball.  Actually, I know they use a bat and ball in baseball so technically I've probably got the upper hand.

Going to be interesting to see who the owners go for.  I'm expecting a big promotion for a marketing assistant from Sparta Prague who's under 24 and got the potential to be a great CEO. ;)

Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #29: Mar 14, 2016 09:10:00 pm
      Agree with this.  Whether you agree or not with football clubs having 10 gazillion sponsors and a tool-utility sponsor, a fast food snack sponsor etc - he was good at all that sh*t.

CEO? Not so good IMO.

Sticking his head in the sand and leaving Kenny to deal with Suarez-gate.
      That whole TV programme and suggesting that Joe Allen has number 69 on his shirt - snigger snigger.
      Last straw was probably that ticketing farce a month or so back - his TV interview after it and his plan for a twitter Q&A (thankfully someone at the club saw sense and pulled that).

I'm sure there's probably loads more but Liverpool need to get a strong head in now and hopefully not a nodding dog to the owners, who let's be honest, know as much about football as I know about baseball.  Actually, I know they use a bat and ball in baseball so technically I've probably got the upper hand.

Going to be interesting to see who the owners go for.  I'm expecting a big promotion for a marketing assistant from Sparta Prague who's under 24 and got the potential to be a great CEO. ;)

He didn't..... did he?!

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #30: Mar 14, 2016 09:17:28 pm
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #31: Mar 14, 2016 10:00:44 pm

I just wonder if this is the real reason he's decided to go mate. He was probably told to defend the price rises then when the sh*t hits the fan, he is left holding his dick while FSG come off looking like the good guys.

AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #32: Mar 14, 2016 10:17:22 pm
      The deal will probably fall through at the last second.  :f_tongueincheek:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #33: Mar 14, 2016 10:42:47 pm
      Last of the H&G era, what fooking took so long?..
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34: Mar 14, 2016 11:29:15 pm

CEO? Not so good IMO.

Yeah that's how i see it, too.

Did a lot for the club to bring money in but as soon as he becomes the face of transfers and footballing decisions, it was obvious we needed a change. Made me a bit sick when i first saw that players we wanted to sign met Ian Ayre first, and their representatives negotiated with him before the player even talked to whoever was manager at the time.

Excellent businessman. Terrible football decision maker.

The deal will probably fall through at the last second.  :f_tongueincheek:

Bravo, sir.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #35: Mar 15, 2016 12:10:22 am
      I think Watzke is the CEO at Dortmund. Zorc deals with everything football related... which might be the way forward for us by splitting the role.

DEFINITELY. Great shout. It seems really important that the role is split. It doesn't make sense these days in a world with ever expanding lines of communication and networks available. For a club as internationally popular as Liverpool that will only ever mean a heftier burden of opportunities to exploit. Seems entirely right that one man deals with the commercial aspect while another deals with football matters.

They do it in Formula One nowadays. Look at Mercedes, they have two bosses. Toto Wolff who deals with the media and commercial side of the team and then there is Paddy Lowe who heads up the actual on track racing team. It seems to have served them quite well! That was a sport that used to be characterised by the almost personality like cult one man leadership defined back in the days when the likes of Ron Dennis, Eddie Jordan, Ken Tyrrell and Frank Williams. It's non existent nowadays as the sport opened up various new commercial avenues. I'm no expert but management structures have changed in sport these days or maybe they have just become more Europeanised.

To me it's probably more a British problem that is not just characterised by Chief Executives but by the football managers themsevles. An obsession/expectation that all control with a wide remit must reside with one person. It continues to define and hold back British football managers who expect full control.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #36: Mar 15, 2016 01:09:53 am
      With a bit of luck he will finish up at Manure or Everton.He couldn't possibly F**k those two clubs up as they are already well and truly fu**ed. :laugh:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #37: Mar 15, 2016 01:11:56 am
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #38: Mar 15, 2016 07:07:06 am
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,672 posts | 887 
      Reply #39: Mar 15, 2016 07:39:56 am
      Honest question, what does a ceo do? When it does come down to football side of things, then I can't think of anybody better then the king.

But I suspect the position calls for somebody with a more knowledge of business side of the club. Then it has to be somebody who have experience with football clubs.

Don't want anybody from the US sports culture to become our CEO. My impression is that they focus more on the buisness side rather then sport itself .

Somebody from germany who is fluent in English and is doing a good job can't be bad. To me it seems like they are well organised clubs.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #40: Mar 15, 2016 08:02:22 am
      He voted against Hicks and Gillett his then paymasters in 2010.
      Shouldn't be forgotten.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #41: Mar 15, 2016 08:09:40 am
      Last of the H&G era, what fooking took so long?..

He did a job for the other thieving bas**rds obviously somebody in the JWH&Co set up liked his style.
      After trampling on the footballing aspiration of the club and supporters or being scapegoated for doing so, he must have annoyed somebody in the halls of power and the subtle bullet has been fired along with the usual murmurings of 'sorry to see you go' and other good bullshit.

Not to worry tho' Ian has many other irons in the fire and directorships etc to ensure his departure from LFC is pretty well insignificant.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,516 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #42: Mar 15, 2016 08:15:15 am

This will make some people happy. Personally I think he done a decent job, no where near as bad as some would say.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43: Mar 15, 2016 09:29:51 am
      This will make some people happy. Personally I think he done a decent job, no where near as bad as some would say.

Were you also applauding when he suggested Hodgon as the replacement for Rafa, was that part of the good job he did, how about all the transfers he fu**ed up on, another example of good job?
      He's a middle manager promoted way beyond his abilities and the sooner we get someone competent in the better, just a shame he'll still be around for another 18 months.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #44: Mar 15, 2016 10:37:55 am
      It'll make a quite a few happy mate but the weird thing is: there are a number of people who pour ridicule and scorn on the man at every opportunity yet the same F**k-tards won't say a word against the investors, (who kept Ayre in power). Baffling.  :-\

The truth is; although the dogs in the street know he's pish at anything related to the actual football, he appears to be good at raising funds and that is obviously held in higher esteem (than football) by FSG investors.
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2016 03:10:11 pm by bad boy bubby »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #45: Mar 15, 2016 11:47:07 am
      Good riddance to someone who as a born and bred scouser seemed so out of touch with the fans, just need to look at the 77 debacle where FSG had to step in to cover his arrogant stance.

As he has not been part of the commercial and marketing side for a while, I believe Hogan and a small army head up that side I'm not even sure what his responsibilities are as a CEO.

What ever he has been doing at least he won't be part of the TC and negotiating player transfers something he never seemed to get right.

Quick Reply