Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Stoke?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      1 (0.9%)
      Kolo Toure
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      7 (6.1%)
      Kevin Stewart
      4 (3.5%)
      Joe Allen
      20 (17.5%)
      James Milner
      16 (14%)
      Sheyi Ojo
      6 (5.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      8 (7%)
      Divock Origi
      52 (45.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Apr 14, 2016 05:50:56 pm

Liverpool 4-1 Stoke City: In game and Post Match delight

Read 28154 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Stoke City: In game and Post Match delight
      Reply #437: Apr 10, 2016 11:57:36 pm
      for me Stewart was MOM, well the half I saw at least, shielded the back 4 really well and always in the right position.
      Reminds me in away of Claude Makélélé for Chelsea: In respect of he would never really stand out in a game, just when about his play  doing everything quietly and solidly Stewart in time will be a great player for Liverpool
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #438: Apr 11, 2016 12:04:32 am

He's a Brendan signing mate, he hasn't exactly set the world alight up until now has he, he's definately playing a lot better under Klopp than he ever did under Brendan, perhaps Brendan for whatever reason couldn't influence him in the way Jürgen can, perhaps Brendan couldn't give him the confidence that Jürgen obviously has,
      Look I'm not going to get into a Brendan V Klopp diatribe here all I'm saying is Joe is playing better than he ever has and that's kudos to Jürgen,

Would you agree that for instance Lucas has performed better under Jürgen, or indeed Dejan ?

YNWA

Again, he was excellent at times under Rodgers too. His first two or three months with us were fantastic and in the 13/14 season, again, he played very well. Allen was very unfortunate with injuries under Rodgers too. Whenever he found form it seemed like he would then pick up an injury that would keep him out for a few weeks. Allen didn't play as much for Rodgers because Rodgers usually had players who were better than him. In 13/14, Gerrard was excellent in the sitting role and Henderson was excellent in the box to box role. Both of them hit levels that Allen hasn't yet reached for us. Coutinho was also excellent in the left-sided midfield role and Sterling was incredible at the top of the diamond. When Allen did come in for Sterling/Coutinho though, he played well.

I know we're not debating Klopp and Rodgers.

Yeah, I would agree that Lovren and Lucas have been better under Klopp than Rodgers and I would give Klopp credit for that. What I would also say is that we're in 8th, so their upturns in form can't be making that much of a difference.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #439: Apr 11, 2016 01:33:20 am
      Good performance with 7 changes to the side.

Back 4 solid Moreno's best game and Stewart and Allen impressive.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #440: Apr 11, 2016 01:39:04 am
      Good professional performance that from the lads.

Jürgen again gets the dividend for his selection.

Good to see Sturridge in the fold, I can't believe he has been maligned so much. Unappreciated to the extent people think he's off as he doesn't fit Klopp's 'style'. I thought he worked hard, played some quality stuff and got a goal for his reward.

Then Origi coupled upfront with him, most thought we'd play with just one as a determiner to see who starts on Thursday. The lad is on a bit of a purple patch at the moment and he is doing really well.

Allen was very good again, signed by TPM and came in for much criticism for this, good to see he's able to give a two finger salute to those of us who discredited him.

Good performance and it looked as though we remained in second gear throughout the match. A nice warm-up for Thursday.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #441: Apr 11, 2016 06:09:31 am
      What a fantastic performance!

Origi looks like a superstar in the making. Outstanding.

Gave MOTM to Allen. His best performance for us so far.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #442: Apr 11, 2016 09:13:35 am

He's a Brendan signing mate, he hasn't exactly set the world alight up until now has he, he's definately playing a lot better under Klopp than he ever did under Brendan, perhaps Brendan for whatever reason couldn't influence him in the way Jürgen can, perhaps Brendan couldn't give him the confidence that Jürgen obviously has,
      Look I'm not going to get into a Brendan V Klopp diatribe here all I'm saying is Joe is playing better than he ever has and that's kudos to Jürgen,

Would you agree that for instance Lucas has performed better under Jürgen, or indeed Dejan ?

YNWA

Lucas has always been a star in my book Billy.
      Never really had a bad game.

Lovren has come on very well.  Recently some very good performances under Klopp's management.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #443: Apr 11, 2016 09:56:18 am
      Good performance with 7 changes to the side.

Back 4 solid Moreno's best game and Stewart and Allen impressive.

Yep the same number that Dortmund made to their lineup I believe.

Looks like both teams will be ready for Thursday!

As for this one I thought Moreno was impressive throughout and has quietly put together a solid month of football for us. Origi, Sturridge and Ojo stand outs up front and Allen and Stewart impressing too.

Conceded a soft goal again from a set piece and I hope we can cut that out on Thursday or it could be a real killer for us. We have to be stronger in that department.

Overall though a very pleasing win, and takes us nicely into Thursday... with reasonably fresh legs too.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #444: Apr 11, 2016 09:59:37 am
      What a result. The result flattered our performance I thought though. Don't get me wrong, I thought we were very good but I don't think we were spectacular; we battered them without getting out of second gear. Stoke are terrible, they are a one man team with Arnautovic and when he is missing they're fu**ed.  Cracking win though with quite a few first teamers out.

Mignolet - He didn't play badly but I don't think he will ever have a perfect game for us. He always does a dodgy kick somewhere in the 90mins or chooses the wrong throw and puts us under immediate pressure but yesterday he didn't have that much to do. Made a couple of stops but nothing I'd have expected from a premier league goalkeeper. One thing annoys me more than anything about Simon though and that's he keeps hold of the ball far too long when we don't need to slow the clock down, very frustrating.

Clyne - Solid and consistent as ever. I personally think Clyne has been our player of the season. He is a black Steve Finnan. Gives 7/8 out of 10 performances every week.

Skrtel - A couple of poor passes & mistakes but nothing too serious. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he is probably a bit rusty and needs some match practice. In general, he played and defended quite well.

Toure - Same as above.

Moreno - Best game for a long while, fantastic goal and a contender for Motm. There is a player in Moreno somewhere but he needs to find the consistency levels that Clyne is at.

Stewart - For me he was motm. Not a perfect game by any means and he gave the ball away too cheaply at times, however he covered a lot of ground, made tackles all over, did well on the ball mostly too. He wasn't the best player on the pitch yesterday but due to his inexperience and lack of first team appearances I thought he did tremendously well against a big physical stoke side.

Allen - Our best player yesterday. Amazes me how poorly he did under Brendan who was his biggest fan and how well he has done under Jürgen who probably doesn't see a future for him here. Maybe Joe feels he has something to prove or maybe hes playing for his spot in the Wales midfield in the summer or maybe he is trying to get a move away or simply maybe Jürgen can get the best out of him. Who knows what it is, but since Jürgen has come in Joe Allen has been a different player. He has been fantastic actually and I'm so happy he got a standing ovation yesterday. Thoroughly deserved for his efforts in recent months. I have every confidence in him starting on Thursday and doing a job for us. Keep it up Joe, fantastic mate.

Milner - Another contender for motm. He was everywhere yesterday, put in a proper shift and shown some quality on the ball too. He will be another important player for us on Thursday.

Ojo - I thought he struggled and I was beginning to lose count how many times he got tackled. A couple of times he threw himself on the floor looking for the foul which was never a free kick in my opinion. However that piece of skill and the cross for our second goal was absolutely brilliant. He showed yet again the talent he has and what he is capable of.

Firmino - One or two nice bits of play but for his standards probably a bit quiet yesterday.

Sturridge - Same as above.

Origi - What a few weeks its been for this young lad. Excellent. The thing I love about Origi is you can tell how badly he wants it. How much he wants to play for Liverpool and how much he wants to play for Jürgen. He would run through brick walls for us. He reminds me a lot like Heskey in where sometimes his work rate and the job he does for the team goes unnoticed but it brings the best out of our other players and it creates space and chances for them. I think Origi has a lot more in his locker than Emile ever did and he will score more goals for starters (and he is starting to add this to his game now) but he is a proper team player. I'd start him on Thursday again. Keep it up young man.

Lallana - Looked lively when he came on, plenty of closing down and pressing. Looks sharp.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #445: Apr 11, 2016 10:34:01 am
      Fine result yesterday - the lads did us proud.   8)
      Tadders

• 6,724 posts | 567 
      Reply #446: Apr 11, 2016 03:28:41 pm
      I cannot believe how well Joe Allen has played this season, I seriously cannot remmeber him having a good game under BR, I can't think of a bad one under Jürgen.

I actually even think Migs is playing well.

Good signs
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #447: Apr 11, 2016 04:03:04 pm
      I cannot believe how well Joe Allen has played this season, I seriously cannot remmeber him having a good game under BR, I can't think of a bad one under Jürgen.

I actually even think Migs is playing well.

Good signs

The first month he was here, he was our best performer. Then he got injured.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,914 posts | 4981 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #448: Apr 11, 2016 07:39:25 pm
      Lucas has always been a star in my book Billy.
      Never really had a bad game.

Lovren has come on very well.  Recently some very good performances under Klopp's management.

Agree mate, I think Jürgen being a former CB himself has rubbed off on Dejan, he makes less mistakes and he's much more positive in his decision making, you could argue that there are 2/3 players who under Jürgen have very much improved,  not only in their all round ability but playing in their familiar roles, where they feel more comfortable, are relaxed and confidant, Pirlo, Lallana for instance,
      No more square pegs and round holes, well not as much as TPM did anyhoo?

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,914 posts | 4981 
      Reply #449: Apr 11, 2016 07:46:55 pm
      The first month he was here, he was our best performer. Then he got injured.

I'll be honest Crouchy I can't remember that far back, Barney and I have been discussing this very topic he reckons Joe was as good under Brendan but I can't think of any game where he was as influential,  might just be my memory tho,  there couldn't have been many else we would have been waxing more lyrically, ??

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #450: Apr 11, 2016 07:47:47 pm
      Agree mate, I think Jürgen being a former CB himself has rubbed off on Dejan, he makes less mistakes and he's much more positive in his decision making, you could argue that there are 2/3 players who under Jürgen have very much improved,  not only in their all round ability but playing in their familiar roles, where they feel more comfortable, are relaxed and confidant, Pirlo, Lallana for instance,
      No more square pegs and round holes, well not as much as TPM did anyhoo?

YNWA

TPM ?

Now let me think ...
      No Names    No Names  ..... a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse.

;D
      Sounds like a mouthwash mate.

(I haven't mentioned teeth.
      That was never me)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,914 posts | 4981 
      Reply #451: Apr 11, 2016 07:59:56 pm
      TPM ?

Now let me think ...
      No Names    No Names  ..... a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse.

;D
      Sounds like a mouthwash mate.

(I haven't mentioned teeth.
      That was never me)

Wink wink, say no more,

The Previous Manager, don't blame me , it was bigmick, he started it xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

YNWA
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #452: Apr 11, 2016 08:02:15 pm
      Enjoyed the MOTD highlights. Cracker from Moreno, he's been threatening one of those for a while. The 4th goal was a cross, and surprised Studge didn't get his head on it - a glance and his names down twice :) Good solid win, great to see some of the movement up front. And Christ, it's been a while since we had a real selection dilemma up front. Bring on Dortmund!!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #453: Apr 12, 2016 12:30:08 am
      I'll be honest Crouchy I can't remember that far back, Barney and I have been discussing this very topic he reckons Joe was as good under Brendan but I can't think of any game where he was as influential,  might just be my memory tho,  there couldn't have been many else we would have been waxing more lyrically, ??

YNWA

Can't think of many more to be honest.

Every time I think back, all I can think off is that missed sitter against Everton when Suarez was wide open for a tap in.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #454: Apr 12, 2016 10:47:20 am
      Enjoyed that immensely. Excellent game.

Just one question really. Am I the only one who thinks we play/played better without Henderson?

IMHO: I would not miss Henderson if he was sold next season. There I said it - I feel so much better for saying it out loud.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #455: Apr 12, 2016 01:47:40 pm
      Agree mate, I think Jürgen being a former CB himself has rubbed off on Dejan
      That's quite possible Billy  - although the opposite side of that same coin is: if you credit him with improving one centre half, you have to (if you're being even-handed, that is) question why he failed with another.

That said: Christians will tell you everything 'good' is down to God and all that's 'bad' is down to man (or the devil) so... there's your 'get out' right there.  :f_tongueincheek:

The player deserves a huge slice of the credit if truth be told.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #456: Apr 12, 2016 03:12:10 pm
      Enjoyed that immensely. Excellent game.

Just one question really. Am I the only one who thinks we play/played better without Henderson?

IMHO: I would not miss Henderson if he was sold next season. There I said it - I feel so much better for saying it out loud.

I simply think that Henderson and Milner are not a great partnership. Both good players but together not quite so good. Maybe if it had been Milner that had to go off we would have seen a big improvement to Henderson's game ?

I don't think we should be too quick to sell good players unless we "know" that their replacements will be better. Personally unless Jordan wants to go I would keep him, but like hopefully the rest of our team next season he will have to fight for his place. If he is not happy with that then he may have to go. Personally I think Jordan will be more than willing to fight...he did last time!     
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #457: Apr 12, 2016 03:35:23 pm
      I simply think that Henderson and Milner are not a great partnership. Both good players but together not quite so good. Maybe if it had been Milner that had to go off we would have seen a big improvement to Henderson's game ?

I don't think we should be too quick to sell good players unless we "know" that their replacements will be better. Personally unless Jordan wants to go I would keep him, but like hopefully the rest of our team next season he will have to fight for his place. If he is not happy with that then he may have to go. Personally I think Jordan will be more than willing to fight...he did last time!     

You may be correct Saint but from what I have seen is Henderson just makes me angry with his one touch passes back or to the side when he has space to run at the front. So many times that I may have a heart attack.  :mad: Also, he tries the Gerrard long range passes which almost never come off.

Also, I was not quite keen on Milner but he has proved me wrong. He as so many goals, assists and is forever running (even though it looks like he may collapse at any time).

Perhaps, Can, Pirlo and Milner is the way to go. Although, it was only Stoke, I think Pirlo and Milner made a good combination. Henderson is squad player only - end of.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #458: Apr 12, 2016 03:44:59 pm
      You may be correct Saint but from what I have seen is Henderson just makes me angry with his one touch passes back or to the side when he has space to run at the front. So many times that I may have a heart attack.  :mad: Also, he tries the Gerrard long range passes which almost never come off.

Also, I was not quite keen on Milner but he has proved me wrong. He as so many goals, assists and is forever running (even though it looks like he may collapse at any time).

Perhaps, Can, Pirlo and Milner is the way to go. Although, it was only Stoke, I think Pirlo and Milner made a good combination. Henderson is squad player only - end of.

Agree with most of this mate. Henderson drives me daft with his one touch return passing. He is supposedly there to take responsibility not to keep giving it back to CB's etc.

The biggest weakness in Henderson's game for me is his lack of courage with the ball.

I suppose a lot depends on who we bring in, maybe it will be someone who suits Henderson more than Milner does. I think he deserves the chance so I wouldn't be too eager to sell, not when we have so many others to sell first anyway :) 
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #459: Apr 12, 2016 03:48:23 pm
      Agree with most of this mate. Henderson drives me daft with his one touch return passing. He is supposedly there to take responsibility not to keep giving it back to CB's etc.

The biggest weakness in Henderson's game for me is his lack of courage with the ball.

I suppose a lot depends on who we bring in, maybe it will be someone who suits Henderson more than Milner does. I think he deserves the chance so I wouldn't be too eager to sell, not when we have so many others to sell first anyway :)

And the sad thing is captains aren't supposed to be scared of the ball

Quick Reply