Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Mahmoud Dahoud - Borussia Monchengladbach

Read 43622 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Mahmoud Dahoud - Borussia Monchengladbach
      Reply #138: Jun 29, 2016 05:36:18 pm
      Maybe we aren't just paying it because we are yet to actually know what is happening with Sakho, Skrtel is off so there is a chance we will have to go and buy another CB and at the same time we are trying to get a another LB.
      I'd like us to get on and sign him but his position isn't the biggest priority as things stand.

I also expect we are waiting to see if we can shift Allen first.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #139: Jun 29, 2016 06:07:02 pm
      I may be wrong mate but I don't think so.

I've done a bit of digging and the first mention of him was a piece from thisisanfield on 11th April, followed by reports in the D. Fail, Express, Indi and Telegraph the day after but not by any LFC reliable journos.  The next report was by Bascombe on 19th May where he says Dahoud has "emerged" as a surprise target as back up if the Zielinski deal falls through.

I think all the "hype" has come from the fans that he "should" be our priority target.

There's been odd tweets recently from Dom King, some AR guys and Melissa Reddy that we're still "monitoring" the situation but that's about it.

I honestly think this has been fan driven interest rather than anything more definite.

Think with TIA and Paul Joyce coming out with a mention of it on the 11th April it's probably from a solid source as Joyce doesn't chat sh*t on the back of somebody else saying it. Seems to get his info from the club.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #140: Jun 29, 2016 06:14:31 pm
      Think with TIA and Paul Joyce coming out with a mention of it on the 11th April it's probably from a solid source as Joyce doesn't chat sh*t on the back of somebody else saying it. Seems to get his info from the club.

Yup...spot on Debs & WAHS.

I think we all hear things and a player get's talked up and then said player becomes our savior..the guy who we "must' get in order to compete or make the window a success and if we don't get the player that we raised to such an important status then all of a sudden it turns into the club f**king up again where in fact the club while perhaps liking the look of a player never considered them a priority to begin with.

If Klopp was so worried about getting him and he was our priority then he would probably be here...with moving Benteke it would be a zero cost so it's not a money thing.

Pretty sure Mane was a top target and I still do not believe that Gotze is dead in the water by any means.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #141: Jun 29, 2016 06:33:13 pm
      So, Monchengladbach are in the playoff round for the Champions league. The matches are Aug. 16 and 23. The payoff for making it into the group stage is pretty huge, isn't it?

But the transfer window is open until Aug. 31, correct?

What if a certain manager of a certain legendary English club, who didn't have to worry about a player being Euro Cup-tied for this season because his team won't be playing there anyway, worked out with his close connections a deal to take the player after those matches and have for the rest of the season and beyond?

Maybe said manager even got a bit of a deal on the transfer fee (the selling club having sorted that the player wants to make the move) in exchange for the substantial consideration being shown in allowing the player to hang around a bit longer.

Plausible, or pure fantasy?

I have no idea about this of course, but the idea of 25 million being too dear a price to purchase the supposed top target doesn't compute.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #142: Jun 29, 2016 06:49:53 pm
      So, Monchengladbach are in the playoff round for the Champions league. The matches are Aug. 16 and 23. The payoff for making it into the group stage is pretty huge, isn't it?

What if a certain manager of a certain legendary English club, who didn't have to worry about a player being Euro Cup-tied for this season because his team won't be playing there anyway, worked out with his close connections a deal to take the player after those matches and have for the rest of the season and beyond?

Maybe said manager even got a bit of a deal on the transfer fee (the selling club having sorted that the player wants to make the move) in exchange for the substantial consideration being shown in allowing the player to hang around a bit longer.

I have no idea about this of course, but the idea of 25 million being too dear a price to purchase the supposed top target doesn't compute.

Nice pick up. Could certainly hold some weight.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #143: Jun 29, 2016 08:42:59 pm

Interesting take. Will be fascinating if Mark Hughes can pull that off and Stoke sign Dahoud  :f_tongueincheek:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #144: Jun 29, 2016 09:33:46 pm
      I'm not sure he is Jurgens top target to partner Can, if he was then we'd have heard something about it much earlier than we did.  We knew he wanted Grujic and got him straight away.  The Zielinski rumours have been around since January, we've submitted our bid, the lad is desperate to come and most journos are saying it'll be done once Poland are out of the Euros.

Dahoud only started being mentioned a couple of months ago, as far as I know, so maybe we enquired but felt he wasn't a top priority for this summer at £25m, hence Jürgen saying we'd wait.

Just because I'm flying the flag for thinking he'd be perfect for us doesn't mean Jürgen does too  ;D

I'd agree with that mate, he's a target but not necessarily a top target for Jürgen.

As far as I know we haven't offered anything, we've enquired after him and been told they don't want to sell this summer but they would do if a big enough offer was made.  That offer being around £25m and the only comment from Jürgen is we'll wait till next summer.

I'm sure (hoping) if we have the money later in the window, once our other targets are secured, we'll make an offer.

It's a good point to you raise Debs regarding Klopp waiting, if the current valuation is around £25m then next season it could be £40m, it's said Gladbach will sell if the offer is decent so I'd be inclined to offer around £28m-£30m and I bet they snap our wee hands off, providing of course like you said our priority dealings are done and dusted, and of course if indeed Klopp deffo wants him, however, that young Croat Pjanc looks like a Kloppite type player, might be worth keeping a wee beady eye on him too ?

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      Reply #145: Jun 29, 2016 09:40:31 pm

Hodgson's got F**k all to do with it  :f_whistle:

YNWA

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #146: Jun 30, 2016 09:14:36 am

I had always thought the same mate - I don't know who or what makes a "credible" source [is there a definitive list?] but Joyce, usually, ain't too far off the mark.

However, if, as is now being suggested, that it's the other way 'round and Dahoud is only a backup then why would Jürgen even want to "wait 'til next summer"? I mean; he'll either, have got his primary target Zielinski for half the money (which means he won't need a backup or need to wait) or, he'll have missed out on his primary target (which means, if he's waiting, that he is going into the season with neither primary or backup). The theory doesn't add up really.

Listen; I know it might not be palatable to believe that Jürgen maybe hasn't really got total control but... going on previous form, proceedings this far, really do mirror too closely every other summer window, we've had since 2012, to be coincidence (in my opinion, obviously).

* Free transfer * Inexpensive, young, with potential * A 'backup' who might oust a starter * Tales of missing out on targets * The obligatory signing from Southampton  :laugh: * Discussion/Argument/Debate (without consensus) and excuse after F***ing excuse on why we miss out * Suggestions that we need to sell before buying... on and on.

Those of us who do could almost be forgiven, for doing so, when we look for a common denominator and end up a tad sceptical.  :P

... however, that young Croat Pjanc looks like a Kloppite type player, might be worth keeping a wee beady eye on him too ?

I don't know about that Billy but you know who are definitely 'Kloppite type' players: Mkhitaryan, Gotze, Subotic and Reus... might be worth keeping two beady eyes on them and we shouldn't dismiss the Klopp factor in trying to attract that lot either.  :laugh: 
      « Last Edit: Jun 30, 2016 11:48:34 am by bad boy bubby »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      Reply #147: Jun 30, 2016 09:43:11 am
      I had always thought the same mate - I don't know who or what makes a "credible" source [is there a definitive list?] but Joyce, usually, ain't too far off the mark.

However, if, as is now being suggested, that it's the other way 'round and Dahoud is only a backup then why would Jürgen even want to "wait 'til next summer"? I mean; he'll either, have got his primary target Zielinski for half the money (which means he won't need a back up or wait) or, he'll have missed out on his primary target (which means, if he's waiting, that he is going into the season with neither primary or backup). The theory doesn't add up really.

Listen; I know it might not be palatable to believe that Jürgen maybe hasn't really got total control but... going on previous form, proceedings this far, really do mirror too closely every other summer window, we've had since 2012, to be coincidence (in my opinion, obviously).

* Free transfer * Inexpensive, young, with potential * A 'backup' who might oust a starter * Tales of missing out on targets * The obligatory signing from Southampton  :laugh: * Discussion/Argument/Debate (without consensus) and excuse after f**king excuse on why we miss out * Suggestions that we need to sell before buying... on and on.

Those of us who do could almost be forgiven, for doing so, when we look for a common denominator and end up a tad sceptical.  :P

I don't know about that Billy but you know who are definitely 'Kloppite type' players: Mkhitaryan, Gotze, Subotic and Reus... might be worth keeping two beady eyes on them and we shouldn't dismiss the Klopp factor in trying to attract that lot either.  :laugh: 

Aye, keep them beady eyes on those 4 especially Reus & Subotic, Götze is hardly showing ambitions of reuniting with Jürgen,  and Mikhitaryan looks like he's heading for the toilet, but not ruling out anything, although the names Reus & Subotic do have a tendency to make things move in my trouser department, 😂 😂 😂,

YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #148: Jun 30, 2016 10:03:41 am
      Aye, keep them beady eyes on those 4 especially Reus & Subotic, Götze is hardly showing ambitions of reuniting with Jürgen,  and Mikhitaryan looks like he's heading for the toilet, but not ruling out anything, although the names Reus & Subotic do have a tendency to make things move in my trouser department, 😂 😂 😂,

YNWA

Gotze has already rebuffed our very generous offer.

Subotic we apparently went after in the January window and couldn't put together a deal for a reason I'm unsure of but we definitely approached them and got left with having to bring in a loan instead.

As for Mkhitaryan I'd hardly suggest a player who came out so full of praise for Tuchel after Klopp left, giving it the whole "it suits me so much better to play for him" is on Klopp's favourite list either. Have to be fair to Mkhitaryan in saying the stats back up his statement but still it doesn't do much for the Mkhitaryan is a Kloppite theory.

Reus being the final one on the list so far, first of all him and Aubameyang have a pact that they'll remain at the club together, secondly to buy him you're probably looking at £70m+. Now it's all well and good saying we should break the bank for him and I would absolutely love us to but do you think without CL footy we can not only get him to break the pact, also spend £70m+ and £200k a week wages on a single player?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #149: Jun 30, 2016 10:04:46 am
      Götze is hardly showing ambitions of reuniting with Jürgen,  and Mikhitaryan looks like he's heading for the toilet, but not ruling out
      Joking [the smiley was the give away - thrown in just in case  ;)] aside Billy  - I reckon Mane was signed in place of Gotze anyhow [scouts saw Mane as unfinished business?] and as for Mickthearmenian... I have genuinely forgotten: who did we sign in his place?

Although I can't help returning to the notion that Jürgen would prefer to sign Reus rather than the 'new Reus'.  :laugh:

Truth is; nothing's really new Billy...

* Discussion/Argument/Debate (without consensus) and excuse after F***ing excuse on why we miss out

... other than the dynamic of who is making the excuses and for whom, of course but I still actually enjoy watching the scramble to make sense of silly season  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2016 11:59:20 am by bad boy bubby »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #150: Jun 30, 2016 01:50:19 pm
      Reds face fight - Dahoud told he is staying
      Liverpool face a battle to sign Mahmoud Dahoud from Borussia Mönchengladbach, with the German club determined to resist any offers for the Germany Under-21 midfielder.

Dahoud, who was born in Syria, has been tracked by Jürgen Klopp’s club after an impressive season in which the 20-year-old made 32 Bundesliga appearances in midfield. He has attracted widespread interest around Europe, with Klopp’s former club Borussia Dortmund also interested in signing him.

However, it is understood that despite Liverpool’s willingness to offer up to €30m (£25m), Dahoud has been informed he will not be allowed to leave Gladbach following the sale of fellow midfielder Granit Xhaka to Arsenal. A source close to the player told the Guardian that he is happy to continue his development at Gladbach “for another season”, with his contract due to expire in 2018.

That could mean any potential suitors are able to purchase him for less, although Gladbach are understood to be preparing to offer him a new deal.

Dahoud, who was only 10 months old when his family fled the largely Kurdish town of Amuda on Syria’s northern border with Turkey, was considered as a potential member of Joachim Löw’s Euro 2016 squad and has represented Germany at various youth levels.

-Guardian
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #151: Jun 30, 2016 01:54:01 pm
      This leaves us in a sticky situation. Do we want him that much that we're prepared to wait another season to get him or do we move on to another target and forget all about him?

If we'd have pulled our finger out sooner we'd have gotten him before Arsenal signed Xhaka.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #152: Jun 30, 2016 06:36:54 pm
      If we'd have pulled our finger out sooner we'd have gotten him before Arsenal signed Xhaka.

Wish people would stop saying this. We had other areas that were of greater concern and needed sorting first. Such as a new keeper. Also Xhaka was tied up pretty much at the time when Klopp took over so this wouldn't have even been possible.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #153: Jul 01, 2016 12:35:33 pm
      Wish people would stop saying this. We had other areas that were of greater concern and needed sorting first. Such as a new keeper.
      Interesting take on the 'keeper situation there 7KK7.

I presume you see Loris a starter and not just backup but even then; I'm not sure tying up a £5m deal would have stalled because we were chasing Dahoud. Surely the club are able to sign more than one player at a time? Anyhows...

Also Xhaka was tied up pretty much at the time when Klopp took over so this wouldn't have even been possible.
      If the Xhaka deal really did put the mockers on a Dahoud transfer then the club would surely have known this early doors so the question follows: was the club's intention, to 'go to £25m', anyway F***ing genuine (and not just lip service)? 

The Blueshite sold crap just like that to their fans for years: they let it be 'known' that they were "trying to sign x, y & z but".

If the Dahoud deal doesn't materialise - one thing is for sure; the news will make the signing of Zielinski more palatable.

Truth is: he [Zielinski] was probably the club's primary target anyhow.  ;)

* The silver lining... if the club were indeed prepared to go to £25m and if the club sign Zielinski for £12.5m then, obviously, there will be an additional £12.5 in the kitty, for other players.  :laugh:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #154: Jul 01, 2016 06:21:47 pm
      I presume you see Loris a starter and not just backup but even then; I'm not sure tying up a £5m deal would have stalled because we were chasing Dahoud. Surely the club are able to sign more than one player at a time?

Whether he is to be a starter or not and irrelevant of whatever the fee was, a new keeper was a high priority as its been probably our weakest position for a good few years now.
      Yeah clubs are obviously able to sort more than one deal at a time but it's hard enough for Ian Ayre to sort one deal at a time, let alone multiple ones.

If the Xhaka deal really did put the mockers on a Dahoud transfer then the club would surely have known this early doors so the question follows: was the club's intention, to 'go to £25m', anyway f**king genuine (and not just lip service)?

When Klopp took over he made it quite clear he wasn't really interested in signing any player until the summer because he wanted to essentially evaluate what he already had, wise decision because it's allowed him to fully see what areas need to be strengthened. We obviously signed Caulker at the time but it was only really because we were getting limited on defenders and he barely even played.
      I don't think we could have gone in early for Dahoud because I don't think he has been a target of ours for all that long and the fans seem to be pushing this deal rather than there being a load of reports about it. Going by the reports, I think it suggests Zielinski has been out primary target and Dahoud as just a bonus if we can pull it off.

It's interesting because a lot of the people that are saying we should have just stumped up the money and signed him straight away are the people, which to be fair is pretty much all of us, have criticised so heavily our signings of Lallana, Lovren etc where we have just stumped up the money and signed them straight away. If he Dahoud played for Saints then there would be all hell breaking loose if we were linked with a £25mill move for him when in actual fact we knew a lot more about the likes of Lallana than we do Dahoud. It's that continental thing again IMO where because he is foreign and rated in another division, he seems like the next best thing.
      Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him or I don't think he would be worth it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #155: Jul 01, 2016 06:37:59 pm
      I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him or I don't think he would be worth it.

I'm not really sure what you are saying TBH. :)

We signed Grujac but for me that doesn't make him our first choice, a lot of transfers are opportunistic. A player becomes available at a reasonable price and if we believe he could do a job for us and he's willing to come, we buy him. 

I believe we still tend to put too much emphasis on sell on values rather than what they add to the team, personally I think we could do with a couple of players who have "been there and done that" rather than too many inexperienced players.     

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #156: Jul 01, 2016 06:51:29 pm
      I'm not really sure what you are saying TBH.

Basically I'm not against signing him at all so I don't want it to seem like that is the case because from what I have seen of him he looks a good player. Just that I don't think he was our primary target or we would have signed him by now or would at least be heavily linked with a move essentially being close, like the Zielinski links. The rest of what I think is just above.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #157: Jul 01, 2016 07:24:30 pm
      Basically I'm not against signing him at all so I don't want it to seem like that is the case because from what I have seen of him he looks a good player. Just that I don't think he was our primary target or we would have signed him by now or would at least be heavily linked with a move essentially being close, like the Zielinski links. The rest of what I think is just above.

Get you now mate. I wasn't quite sure before.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #158: Jul 02, 2016 06:34:17 am
      Dahoud and Zielinski would play different roles within the squad, DM vs AM.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #159: Jul 02, 2016 09:01:56 am
      Just offer them the money we get from benteke then if we need another striker go get Hal Robson Kanu on a free.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #160: Jul 02, 2016 11:04:28 am
      Just offer them the money we get from benteke then if we need another striker go get Hal Robson Kanu on a free.

:lmao: Just a joke, right?

Quick Reply