Trending Topics

Liverpool being lined up for 700m Middle Eastern takeover.

Read 22887 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Liverpool being lined up for 700m Middle Eastern takeover.
      Reply #46: Apr 19, 2016 08:06:53 pm
      It's a funny one this. This place is full of so much frustration at our mediocrity under FSG (bar one season) and yet so many are appalled at the thought of some rich ownership, big wages, top players etc.

Don't think that applies to everyone.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #47: Apr 19, 2016 08:21:14 pm
      Which one? The frustration or being appalled.

Everything is a process yet it is had to have patience; that's just the way sports and indeed life is.

We are going into next season with our new manager, hopefully and new way of doing transfers and a newly revamped main stand; and a squad that looks like is coming together.

Our future looks much brighter today than many other clubs in the PL; its all about momentum and right now LFC has momentum both on & off the pitch.
      Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #48: Apr 19, 2016 08:43:47 pm
      Everything is a process yet it is had to have patience; that's just the way sports and indeed life is.

We are going into next season with our new manager, hopefully and new way of doing transfers and a newly revamped main stand; and a squad that looks like is coming together.

Our future looks much brighter today than many other clubs in the PL; its all about momentum and right now LFC has momentum both on & off the pitch.

I wouldn't get too carried yet bud, we're 8th in the league and a semi final loss away from another trophy less season and the possibility of no European football next season. Things look bright because we have a very personable manager who is rather easy to believe in but he will have to work in a transfer/wages environment that is far inferior to many of our rivals in England and on the continent.

I think, for me anyway, the main problem is the 'all change again' factor.

New owner, new direction, new manager, new squad, rename Anfield etc etc. Personally I'm not a fan of how city are run, the improvements in infrastructure there are phenomenal no doubt but that can't happen with us but the football side of city doesn't appeal to me. The signing of players who work together more out of financial cost than by gelling and the constant managerial changes.

I'll take the route we're on now for another couple of seasons before we get the arse ripped out of us again.

I absolutely agree, given the horrid time the last owners served up you kinda know where your at with this lot, better the devil you know and all that but I have been very disappointed in FSG up until now. I'm delighted they got the right manager in and chuffed to see the main stand finally go up BUT the performance of the football club has been hugely underwhelming, they have overseen the club's least successful period in about 40 years. There's no hiding from that.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #49: Apr 19, 2016 08:46:20 pm
      To be honest I'm happy with FSG and I see no reason as to change ownership when all aspects of the club are looking healthy and solid..

With the appointment of Klopp & how he has worked with this squad of players points out to the fact that you don't need to throw money at it to win...

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #50: Apr 19, 2016 08:48:27 pm
      I wouldn't get too carried yet bud, we're 8th in the league and a semi final loss away from another trophy less season and the possibility of no European football next season. Things look bright because we have a very personable manager who is rather easy to believe in but he will have to work in a transfer/wages environment that is far inferior to many of our rivals in England and on the continent.

I absolutely agree, given the horrid time the last owners served up you kinda know where your at with this lot, better the devil you know and all that but I have been very disappointed in FSG up until now. I'm delighted they got the right manager in and chuffed to see the main stand finally go up BUT the performance of the football club has been hugely underwhelming, they have overseen the club's least successful period in about 40 years. There's no hiding from that.

It's a glass half full/empty argument Scott, I just choose to keep mine as full as possible and enjoy the process.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #51: Apr 19, 2016 08:52:36 pm
      Which one? The frustration or being appalled.

More the frustration. There have been aspects of their ownership that I have been frustrated with, notably the footballing side of things, specifically our ham fisted efforts in the transfer market (although equal part of the blame must be shared by the manager's we've had) but on an ownership front and in a business/financial sense I think they've been pretty damn solid. Unlike our previous American owners, these guys do know business and are delivering on a major aspect notably stadium expansion. Now that they finally got their world class manager in Jürgen Klopp (a guy I'm sure they would have appointed in 2011 and 2012 if he was available...but wasn't) I have a lot of faith and hope that things are finally going to align. Jürgen seems more than happy with them so I think it's very much a case of systems ready!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,281 posts | 1513 
      Reply #52: Apr 19, 2016 09:21:03 pm
      Well there's a chance that Liverpool are on the mend. They seem to have recaptured their soul and everything is looking positive. They could be a force to contend with in the coming seasons. They seem to have the right manager at the helm, and could go far......

I know, lets unsettle them a bit. lets throw in a an anonymous bid, and see how it festers amongst the hierachy. Lets get them doubting their progression through indecision and hesitancy.
      We can't have the likes of them pissing on our bonfire can we ???

All bollocks, with a view to upsetting the apple cart i'd say.
      Someones running scared of us.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #53: Apr 19, 2016 09:27:57 pm
      Well there's a chance that Liverpool are on the mend. They seem to have recaptured their soul and everything is looking positive. They could be a force to contend with in the coming seasons. They seem to have the right manager at the helm, and could go far......

I know, lets unsettle them a bit. lets throw in a an anonymous bid, and see how it festers amongst the hierachy. Lets get them doubting their progression through indecision and hesitancy.
      We can't have the likes of them pissing on our bonfire can we ???

All bollocks, with a view to upsetting the apple cart i'd say.
      Someones running scared of us.

Duuuuude, it must be like so totally the Illuminati.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #54: Apr 19, 2016 09:43:34 pm

This is where I am mate. We have tried the patient approach for 6 years now and we have seen our best players leave and not be replaced with similar quality. We sit 8th in the league in a season when all the top clubs have struggled and yet we laugh at their problems... while they are above us!

I am willing to wait for success only because under FSG I don't think we have any other option, maybe with new (rich) owners we wouldn't have the same wait.

I am certainly not going to moan if we start buying the best players in the world and winning titles, buying average players and struggling has somehow lost it's appeal for me.   

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #55: Apr 19, 2016 09:45:50 pm
      Would he be able to buy himself naming rights to the new stand?
      Is the name of the new "Upper Main Stand" available to the highest bidder?

just saying like..

No smoke without fire....although i've a feeling the smoke is drifting in from down the east lancs way.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #56: Apr 19, 2016 09:54:56 pm
      It's a glass half full/empty argument Scott, I just choose to keep mine as full as possible and enjoy the process.

Maybe it's simply the fact that you are drinking out of a smaller glass mate. I think perhaps the older supporters are more impatient for success because it's what we were brought up on.

Or maybe it's just that we have been waiting longer?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #57: Apr 19, 2016 10:01:30 pm
      Maybe it's simply the fact that you are drinking out of a smaller glass mate. I think perhaps the older supporters are more impatient for success because it's what we were brought up on.

Agreed it just seems like the bench mark now is having multi billionaire owners and then let the best coach, tactician fight it out on a equal footing.

Never a fair race with a Skoda up against a TVR no matter how good the drivers.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #58: Apr 19, 2016 10:09:54 pm

Spot on s@int.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #59: Apr 19, 2016 10:16:59 pm
      Can't see FSG passing up £100m a year in TV rights alone plus what ever the club rakes in;sponership, shirts sale and other bits and picks..... But they do say " A bird in the hand"
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #60: Apr 19, 2016 10:32:24 pm
      Looking at the development of the club very closely in the last few years under FSG without going into the details, I'm led to believe they may not be here for the long haul but keeping the club afloat and yet without seriously trying to win anything as they are only willing to invest that much in the club in the hope that the club comes good. That's my personal opinion and I won't go on a long debate on that. I have say it here 5 years ago and I'm still maintaining my stand that FSG will eventually sell the club to the highest bidder as they are businessmen through and through,  don't think they have any true sentiments attached to the club. Or they could turn out to be Arsenal Mark II, I could be wrong though.

I'm a sentimentalist and as much as I oppose to the club being sold to a hobbyist but the world has moved on since the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s and beyond. The old 1st division has moved on to the Premiere league and so did the old European Cup to the Champions League. Sponsorships, TV rights, sales of merchandise, fan base, winning trophies etc all wrapped into one is the order of the day now. It is all about winning and you need that extra dosh without really straining your pocket at all to achieve that and to sustain that. Sadly, FSG may not fall into that category of owners, whether policy wise and/or financially so. Again, I could be wrong though.

Klopp has already proven what he has achieved at Dortmund, to bring that club that far and that's the best he could do and I believe he has led the club to the summit and he could do no more. But to maintain a long term challenge against Bayern, I'd believe Klopp knows too well that Dortmund do not have that financial muscle to be in the same league as Bayern. One failed season; even that with many injured players that led him to resign from Dortmund doesn't make much sense to me. He needed a new challenge and that was what reported of him saying. Without serious injection of resources, I foresee that Klopp could achieve the same thing here, win us a few cups here and there, winning that odd PL title and going on to the CL, but to go on a long term challenge against City and Chelsea or even Arsenal and MU, we are still lacking far behind financially.

We have fallen behind over the years, the league table in the last 10 years or so doesn't lie and we will be thereabouts in the coming years if there is not serious injection of resources to allow us to play catch up. Therefore, a new investor with serious injection of resources couple with Klopp's ability, this club could offer a long term challenge to any competitor. 
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #61: Apr 19, 2016 10:47:05 pm
      Same old arguments rearing their heads again...

Let's wait till the summer & see how Klopp is backed.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #62: Apr 19, 2016 10:55:10 pm
      A mega bucks TV deal and the fact that The Beano is more reputable mean there's nothing to get me excited here.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #63: Apr 19, 2016 11:21:02 pm
      Agreed it just seems like the bench mark now is having multi billionaire owners and then let the best coach, tactician fight it out on a equal footing.

Never a fair race with a Skoda up against a TVR no matter how good the drivers.

Although I don't disagree with you, this is all being said in a year when Leicester City are the favorites to win the league within the next couple of months. Kind of makes me question whether we do actually need billionaire owners.

I also find that it takes the joy out of a title. Imagine we'd won when Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho were our front four. All combined they cost what, £45m?

To me that would have been a hell of a lot sweeter than winning a title with a squad that costs whatever Man City's does, which I think they've injected over £1bn at this point.

It's certainly not the end of the world if it happens, and I'm sure those of you within Liverpool probably don't see too much of a difference between American owners and Saudi owners, but I'd much rather prefer modest owners who have at the very least a mutually vested interest in raising the value of the club over owners who just see it as a little play toy.

I've seen it with my own eyes with the NY Yankees when I was growing up. I was a huge fan of them, watched every game, every World Series, and there just isn't anything spectacular or even all that enjoyable when you're always expected to be the winners just because of how much more money you've got than anyone else. Also, kind of ruined the sport for everyone else during that period if I'm being honest.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #64: Apr 19, 2016 11:29:25 pm
      Well they can shake mehandy on the deal .
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #65: Apr 20, 2016 12:25:23 am
      Looking at the development of the club very closely in the last few years under FSG without going into the details, I'm led to believe they may not be here for the long haul but keeping the club afloat and yet without seriously trying to win anything as they are only willing to invest that much in the club in the hope that the club comes good. That's my personal opinion and I won't go on a long debate on that. I have say it here 5 years ago and I'm still maintaining my stand that FSG will eventually sell the club to the highest bidder as they are businessmen through and through,  don't think they have any true sentiments attached to the club. Or they could turn out to be Arsenal Mark II, I could be wrong though.

I'm a sentimentalist and as much as I oppose to the club being sold to a hobbyist but the world has moved on since the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s and beyond. The old 1st division has moved on to the Premiere league and so did the old European Cup to the Champions League. Sponsorships, TV rights, sales of merchandise, fan base, winning trophies etc all wrapped into one is the order of the day now. It is all about winning and you need that extra dosh without really straining your pocket at all to achieve that and to sustain that. Sadly, FSG may not fall into that category of owners, whether policy wise and/or financially so. Again, I could be wrong though.

Klopp has already proven what he has achieved at Dortmund, to bring that club that far and that's the best he could do and I believe he has led the club to the summit and he could do no more. But to maintain a long term challenge against Bayern, I'd believe Klopp knows too well that Dortmund do not have that financial muscle to be in the same league as Bayern. One failed season; even that with many injured players that led him to resign from Dortmund doesn't make much sense to me. He needed a new challenge and that was what reported of him saying. Without serious injection of resources, I foresee that Klopp could achieve the same thing here, win us a few cups here and there, winning that odd PL title and going on to the CL, but to go on a long term challenge against City and Chelsea or even Arsenal and MU, we are still lacking far behind financially.

We have fallen behind over the years, the league table in the last 10 years or so doesn't lie and we will be thereabouts in the coming years if there is not serious injection of resources to allow us to play catch up. Therefore, a new investor with serious injection of resources couple with Klopp's ability, this club could offer a long term challenge to any competitor. 

Good Post
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #66: Apr 20, 2016 12:29:48 am

I can only speak for myself Gary, you know that.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #67: Apr 20, 2016 12:44:02 am
      I can only speak for myself Gary, you know that.

I know mate, it's all pie in the sky anyway. :)

Just gets a little frustrating as time goes by. I still feel a little guilty for persuading my son to support us when he originally was going to follow his mates and support the mancs. He could have had 20 years of celebrating titles rather than 20 years of mainly frustration, plus O/T is a lot easier to get to than Anfield from where I live. Still, could have been worse I suppose, he could have supported Bolton. :)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #68: Apr 20, 2016 04:57:21 am
      A mega bucks TV deal and the fact that The Beano is more reputable mean there's nothing to get me excited here.

Exactly, mate.

Say we're worth £700m now, imagine how much we'll be worth in a decade with a fully upgraded Anfield and the money pouring in from TV deals and sponsorships.

People saying FSG are businessmen, so they'll sell to the highest bidder, but are overlooking that businessmen don't sell something that is about to boom and multiply in value.

Why would they fund the upgrade (through their money, interest free) and about to get hundreds of millions of pounds through TV deals over the next couple of years and be looking to sell now? Just put two and two together. It's not happening.

By the time they get a return on their money for the stadium, it'll be a couple years down the line (including the naming rights). Add in any success the club has and the value on appreciates more.

They're not selling. 6 years down the line and people are still thinking FSG are looking to make a quick buck when it's been 6 years and their return on £300m has been F**k all compared to what they'd earn if they put their money elsewhere.

Every decision they've made regarding football has been made with a long-term vision. It just adds more weight to them sticking around for a while.

They've even opened an LFC football academy here in Australia with the idea of growing the club here off the back off the success of their tours in the country.

Quick Reply