Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool being lined up for 700m Middle Eastern takeover.

Read 22921 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool being lined up for 700m Middle Eastern takeover.
      Reply #69: Apr 20, 2016 06:31:41 am
      Exactly, mate.

Say we're worth £700m now, imagine how much we'll be worth in a decade with a fully upgraded Anfield and the money pouring in from TV deals and sponsorships.

People saying FSG are businessmen, so they'll sell to the highest bidder, but are overlooking that businessmen don't sell something that is about to boom and multiply in value.

Why would they fund the upgrade (through their money, interest free) and about to get hundreds of millions of pounds through TV deals over the next couple of years and be looking to sell now? Just put two and two together. It's not happening.

By the time they get a return on their money for the stadium, it'll be a couple years down the line (including the naming rights). Add in any success the club has and the value on appreciates more.

They're not selling. 6 years down the line and people are still thinking FSG are looking to make a quick buck when it's been 6 years and their return on £300m has been f**k all compared to what they'd earn if they put their money elsewhere.

Every decision they've made regarding football has been made with a long-term vision. It just adds more weight to them sticking around for a while.

They've even opened an LFC football academy here in Australia with the idea of growing the club here off the back off the success of their tours in the country.

I agree with most of that , not sure where you invest your money mate but almost 20% a year is a pretty good investment imo.

Like you I don't believe now would be the ideal time to sell, but I do think they may be looking for investors, either as percentage owners or maybe just for the naming rights.

Like buying Marco Reus or Messi, it is unlikely to happen but it's nice to discuss the options.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #70: Apr 20, 2016 06:35:50 am
      FSG have been brilliant, they have not been perfect, nobody is.

They invested good money, and there's no proof that they were obstacle in signing good players. I mean, it is a very sound decision to say "we don't spend more on a player if we think he is not worth the money". This is how we should run a struggling club, right?  Also, Benteke and Firmino were not cheap, it's the manager who decided to take players like Carroll or Benteke for such fees, if you don't want the player, you don't take him.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #71: Apr 20, 2016 06:37:03 am
      I agree with most of that , not sure where you invest your money mate but almost 20% a year is a pretty good investment imo.

Like you I don't believe now would be the ideal time to sell, but I do think they may be looking for investors, either as percentage owners or maybe just for the naming rights.

Like buying Marco Reus or Messi, it is unlikely to happen but it's nice to discuss the options.

Sorry, i meant no real return on their initial investment as of yet. My bad.

If they sold, then yes it'd be a nice return. I meant through their investment in the operations of the club.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #72: Apr 20, 2016 06:47:44 am
      Sorry, i meant no real return on their initial investment as of yet. My bad.

If they sold, then yes it'd be a nice return. I meant through their investment in the operations of the club.

I now agree with all your previous post :)
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #73: Apr 20, 2016 06:51:19 am
      money money money money that is all that's drilled into our heads trying to F**k up our mentalities. people believe for some reason that you need arab owners to win the league two years in a row. since when was that ever a thing? we seem to have plenty of money, we can basically buy whoever we want, it's not because we don't have arab owners that we aren't a top team right now. we are battling our way back to being that without money money money money money so it doesn't matter to me
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,690 posts | 3710 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #74: Apr 20, 2016 08:43:16 am
      On one hand, I believe this is all bullshit and on another I think that FSG will try to keep us moving forward and then sell us to the highest bidder. For sure, FSG are controlling the club much better then the other greedy owners.

I will not believe anything before I see concrete news.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #75: Apr 20, 2016 09:18:45 am

Glad we share the same opinion here  mate. Cheers.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #76: Apr 20, 2016 10:07:35 am
      I know mate, it's all pie in the sky anyway. :)

Just gets a little frustrating as time goes by. I still feel a little guilty for persuading my son to support us when he originally was going to follow his mates and support the mancs. He could have had 20 years of celebrating titles rather than 20 years of mainly frustration, plus O/T is a lot easier to get to than Anfield from where I live. Still, could have been worse I suppose, he could have supported Bolton. :)

Its that struggle that defines us as fans, it will make winning things all that much sweeter.  ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #77: Apr 20, 2016 11:02:46 am
      Not sure there's much truth in this but if it transpires to be true (and it comes to pass) there's gonna be a number of fans tearing their hair out... you know; the fans who "Don't want a sugar daddy" or "to buy the league"?  :-\

Will. They. F**k.  >:D :lmao:
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #78: Apr 20, 2016 11:13:24 am
      I don't like the big investors but the problem is that if and when it happens, that someone else comes shopping for an English club, if it not us it will mean another team with those inflated resources that makes it harder for us again.
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #79: Apr 20, 2016 11:19:02 am
      I would welcome a takeover for two reasons.

1) I believe serious investment in the club is required to compete with those at the top on a consistent basis
      2) I do not believe FSG are willing to invest the amount required to bridge that particular gap

I'm sorry but I no longer buy the notion of us not selling out. For one, we already have done to some degree. Secondly, it is simply a matter of football changing. It's no longer the 1980's or even the early 1990's, it's 2016. With serious investment we could have access to the funds to put us up there consistently competing. Without it we become the English version of Dortmund, a club that consistently plays second fiddle to the giants in the league whilst trying to exceed expectations and delivering silverware.

In regard to FSG, this may have been their plan all along. If buying the club at a bargain was true then it makes sense to capitalize on such an opportunity because you can then sell a club with a great history, a red and very marketable kit in Asia, a good youth system and decent stadium that has just undergone an expansion for profit. I see certain people within FSG loving the club and the sport but the majority will be strictly business people who will be speculating to accumulate.

And what happens if another Premier League club gets taken over, like Man City, and we fall further behind the pack? In certain seasons we might be up there competing but in others we will continue to languish exactly where we are now. When Aguero drove home the ball in that last moment, do you honestly think even the most die hard and nostalgic of Man City fans cared that is was helped by a wealthy owner who invested millions into the club? Not a chance.

I hope this news is true. I doubt it, but I hope it is.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #80: Apr 20, 2016 11:37:37 am
      Although I don't disagree with you, this is all being said in a year when Leicester City are the favorites to win the league within the next couple of months. Kind of makes me question whether we do actually need billionaire owners.

I also find that it takes the joy out of a title. Imagine we'd won when Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho were our front four. All combined they cost what, £45m?

To me that would have been a hell of a lot sweeter than winning a title with a squad that costs whatever Man City's does, which I think they've injected over £1bn at this point.

It's certainly not the end of the world if it happens, and I'm sure those of you within Liverpool probably don't see too much of a difference between American owners and Saudi owners, but I'd much rather prefer modest owners who have at the very least a mutually vested interest in raising the value of the club over owners who just see it as a little play toy.

I've seen it with my own eyes with the NY Yankees when I was growing up. I was a huge fan of them, watched every game, every World Series, and there just isn't anything spectacular or even all that enjoyable when you're always expected to be the winners just because of how much more money you've got than anyone else. Also, kind of ruined the sport for everyone else during that period if I'm being honest.

Bullshit I'm afraid, does that mean the titles I've seen Liverpool win mean F**k all, cos we were one of the richest teams in the league and could buy Barnes and Beardsley ahead of those pesky mancs and cockney teams?

F**k, no!!

You make out arab owners see premier league teams as a toy play thing, take a look at how City's owners have invested their own money to not just doing up the Etihad, but the area around the ground and invested their own money to get the manc tram to now stop around the Etihad. That wasn't available before they arrived.

They ain't that bad to be fair.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #81: Apr 20, 2016 11:41:58 am
      Not sure there's much truth in this but if it transpires to be true (and it comes to pass) there's gonna be a number of fans tearing their hair out... you know; the fans who "Don't want a sugar daddy" or "to buy the league"?  :-\

Will. They. F**k.  >:D :lmao:

Jumped in on this topic earlier mate not because there is some unerring credibility in the subject matter but to highlight the very strong possibility of it actually happening.

JWH&Co have used the club status and it's tarnished reputation in presenting a very viable, marketable product:

Installed a respected manager who is bringing back the optimism associated with the club and can potentially take us back to where we belong.
      Work is well under way in transforming Anfield into an arena worthy of champions.
      There is an air of change on the field of play, some are as good as gone next season but a new spirit is there.

After 5+ years of not using their own money JWH&Co have amazingly arrived at this juncture, if the brand had not been what it is do you suppose for one second they would be sitting on the potential profit provider they own?
      For a successful global company JWH&Co do seem to have missed the boat on this one by not pumping money into the proven lifeblood of the brand - the actual team.

We await next season (again) to see if anyone in Boston has got their head out of their arse and realise what LFC is worth in real terms when properly backed.

Tadders

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #82: Apr 20, 2016 11:43:02 am
      Click bait.

Besides I'd hate this club to become the playground for an Arab multibillionaire.

I would hate this club to become 'winners' on the back of financial doping and turned into a soulless commodity which sucks any joy and achievement out of victory ala Man City and PSG. It's a tacky way to 'success' and would stand against everything this club has been built on. At least FSG put emphasis on sustainability and genuine financial growth.

We'll win it out own way and that way will be on the pitch - the way we've always done it.

Agreed. The soul of the clubs mentioned has been sucked out and destroyed, half empty stadiums and fans who supported their team through thick and then as they struggled now demand players to be bought for 50m for every mis placed pass, absolutley no team spirt or loyalty and managers coming and going every season - not for me.  Its not football its an obscene world. I would rather remain with our soul in tact, which I think FSG (despite their faults) have tried to protect.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #83: Apr 20, 2016 12:06:37 pm
      It would be a crazy move for them to sell now. 

With all the money about to arrive in the PL, the new stand not even finished and the Anfield Rd not even started and Jürgen still to sprinkle his stardust.

Nah, I just can't see it at all.  We'll be worth double that in a few years and they know it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #84: Apr 20, 2016 12:22:21 pm
      If only the journo could see the three pages of posts.

Deal ?
      If the luverely Amanda Stavely is involved then its a runner .
      If she aint ... then it aint .
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #85: Apr 20, 2016 01:00:22 pm
      I don't really understand the reasoning that FSG would be mad to sell due to all the money coming in soon from some t.v deal or whatever it is.

Won't the other teams also be getting millions from the deal too? If so, the playing field is again more or less levelled. Granted a team's name/tradition might make that money go further, but it will still mean a more competitive league all around a teams like Stoke might now be able to sign a Higuain (for example).
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #86: Apr 20, 2016 01:30:36 pm
      I won't believe it till I see Skeik Momoney out the front of Melwood holding up a Liverpool scarf!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #87: Apr 20, 2016 01:39:30 pm
      I don't really understand the reasoning that FSG would be mad to sell due to all the money coming in soon from some t.v deal or whatever it is.

Won't the other teams also be getting millions from the deal too? If so, the playing field is again more or less levelled. Granted a team's name/tradition might make that money go further, but it will still mean a more competitive league all around a teams like Stoke might now be able to sign a Higuain (for example).

Not really, at least not in the short term mate, firstly the top players will still want to play for top clubs, while the remains of FFP will ensure that the balance of power still lies with the clubs earning the most money from all sources. What it will mean is that smaller clubs will be better able to hang on to their best players and no longer have to sell them just to make ends meet.

The earning power of the top clubs will still ensure that the playing field is never flat.

Liverpool remain in 5th place in the English revenue league with £256 million, as all other clubs have grown their revenue in 2013/14, thanks primarily to the new Premier League TV deal. As Warren Buffett once said, “A rising tide lifts all boats.” Liverpool are still a fair way behind their rivals for Champions League qualification with Manchester United’s revenue of £433 million being an amazing £177 million (or almost 70%) higher. Similarly, Liverpool are below Manchester City £347 million, Chelsea £320 million and Arsenal £299 million. That said, Liverpool are in turn much higher than Tottenham’s £181 million.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #88: Apr 20, 2016 01:44:06 pm
      I won't believe it till I see Skeik Momoney out the front of Melwood holding up a Liverpool scarf!

Or wrapped around their heads ;D

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #89: Apr 20, 2016 01:45:52 pm
      Not really, at least not in the short term mate, firstly the top players will still want to play for top clubs, while the remains of FFP will ensure that the balance of power still lies with the clubs earning the most money from all sources. What it will mean is that smaller clubs will be better able to hang on to their best players and no longer have to sell them just to make ends meet.

The earning power of the top clubs will still ensure that the playing field is never flat.

Liverpool remain in 5th place in the English revenue league with £256 million, as all other clubs have grown their revenue in 2013/14, thanks primarily to the new Premier League TV deal. As Warren Buffett once said, “A rising tide lifts all boats.” Liverpool are still a fair way behind their rivals for Champions League qualification with Manchester United’s revenue of £433 million being an amazing £177 million (or almost 70%) higher. Similarly, Liverpool are below Manchester City £347 million, Chelsea £320 million and Arsenal £299 million. That said, Liverpool are in turn much higher than Tottenham’s £181 million.

I stand corrected - thanks for the info
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #90: Apr 20, 2016 02:00:23 pm
      Hellish thought.

Imagine us as a soulless club with no links to the community and buying boring boring bas**rds like Aguero (seriously, never has there been a more boring f**k of a world class player) who have no connection to the club they are playing, such to the extent the money grabbing sh*t can't even speak English despite being here for five years.

Our club would be riddled with these wankers. And there'd be no concerted effort of a link to the Merseyside community as our youth team would be packed full of young players from abroad who would only be here for the money, therefore neglecting the chance for local lads to pursue their dream and play for Liverpool FC.

We'd win a league title, but never could such a decades long pursuit be achieved in a more hollow and emotionless manner.

Just think - we'd be like City. And they're so plastic, we don't even give them the courtesy of being named a rival. We want success with the soul we currently have - never in a million years would I sell that soul for a piece of silverware. If people don't get that, they don't get the city of Liverpool.

Surely real fans would get a greater sense of fulfilment with victory OUR way and not the way of all the financially doped club? Just look at what Dortmund did, or just like Atletico Madrid are doing. It's not beyond possibility you know - we do have the manager.
      « Last Edit: Apr 20, 2016 02:19:48 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #91: Apr 20, 2016 02:06:26 pm
      If only the journo could see the three pages of posts.

Deal ?
      If the luverely Amanda Stavely is involved then its a runner .
      If she aint ... then it aint .

January 28, 2016

Barclays has been hit with a lawsuit for nearly a £1bn from Amanda Staveley, the deal-maker with a host of Middle Eastern connections, over the lender’s emergency £5.8bn fund-raising in 2008.

Ms Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners has sued Barclays in London, according to a court listing dated earlier this week. While it gave no details of the nature of the dispute, the bank confirmed that it turned on its capital call at the height of the financial crisis.

My kinda girl.
      Im getting her to sort out my bank charges ... also at the sign of the dead crow .

http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/01/28/amanda-staveley-sues-barclays-for-almost-1bn/

Told Hicks where to shove it .

Quick Reply