Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Match: Villarreal v Liverpool Thurs 28th April 20:05 KO

Read 16134 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Pre-Match: Villarreal v Liverpool Thurs 28th April 20:05 KO
      Apr 25, 2016 04:00:28 am
      A European semi final up next! ;D

We come in to this one pretty confident but that took a hit on Saturday giving up a 2 goal lead to Newcastle. The drug scandal surrounding Mama doesn't help either and it looks like Kolo will come in for him which is a big blow considering Mama played a huge part in us being here.

Given the injuries and suspensions, our back five seems to be nailed on with Mignolet, Clyne, Moreno, Lovren and Kolo. We know Sturridge will play up top but plenty of competition for the midfield spots. Who will play and where?

Villarreal are winless in their past three matches, losing to Rayo Vallecano and Real Madrid before being held to a 0-0 draw by Real Sociedad overnight. Suggests a favourable game for us but they're a team that will try and sit back and hit us on the counter judging by their game overnight. That usually means we're in for a tough night.
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2016 06:59:28 pm by JD, Reason: Villarreal spelt wrong. »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Pre-Match: Villareal v Liverpool Thurs 27th April 20:05 KO
      Reply #1: Apr 25, 2016 07:17:49 am
      They may like to play on the break but they possess nowhere near the pace and firepower of Dortmund going forward. But they do seem to be quite solid at the back so I wouldn't expect a high scoring match.

Will be interesting who klopp picks for midfield as Milner and Lucas in a midfield 2 would be a disaster against a counter attacking team.
      Maybe in the away leg we meant to get them to come out and play and hence a trio in midfield might be the way forward with Lucas, Allen and Milner tucking in from the wing.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2: Apr 25, 2016 07:55:20 am
      Definitely need the extra man in midfield so Allen, Lucas and Milner for me, be tempted to go for lallana over firminio for this with studge and Phil hopefully causing them problems.  Villarreal seem to be repeating the last couple of seasons by seemingly running out of a bit of steam whilst we appear to be running out of players, will be very different from the Dortmund games, their coach marcelino does get really wound up so the fourth official could come in handy
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3: Apr 25, 2016 07:59:59 am
      Mignolet

Clyne
      Lovren
      Toure
      Moreno

Lucas
      Allen

Milner
      Lallana
      Coutinho

Sturridge

It wouldn't surprise me if he started with Bobby over Studge to maximise the press.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4: Apr 25, 2016 08:07:01 am
      Ward

Wee Joe
      Wee Joe
      Wee Joe
      Wee Joe

Wee Joe
      Wee Joe
      Wee Joe
      Wee Joe

Wee Joe
      Wee Joe

I know what you're think and yes... I think 442 is the way to go here.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Apr 25, 2016 08:19:58 am
      A repeat of the Dortmund away match will suit us nicely,got to trust in Jürgen and our REDS to come home with a win. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #6: Apr 25, 2016 09:18:35 am
      Mignolet

Clyne
      Lovren
      Toure
      Moreno

Lucas
      Allen

Milner
      Lallana
      Coutinho

Sturridge

It wouldn't surprise me if he started with Bobby over Studge to maximise the press.

Don't know where, but I'd be surprised if Firmino doesn't play. Jürgen seems to really trust him and picks him almost regardless of form. I think he'll pick Ward too.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Apr 25, 2016 09:21:28 am
      Don't know where, but I'd be surprised if Firmino doesn't play. Jürgen seems to really trust him and picks him almost regardless of form. I think he'll pick Ward too.

I think Firmino would be a cert to play.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #8: Apr 25, 2016 09:30:08 am
      Ward

Wee Joe
      Wee Joe
      Wee Joe
      Wee Joe

Wee Joe
      Wee Joe
      Wee Joe
      Wee Joe

Wee Joe
      Wee Joe

I know what you're think and yes... I think 442 is the way to go here.

Yes, but you didn't say whether it will be a 4-4-2 diamond or straight old fashioned 4-4-2. Also, bit disappointed that Wee Joe is not in the goal.  :angry-smiley-034:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #9: Apr 25, 2016 10:24:35 am
      They may like to play on the break but they possess nowhere near the pace and firepower of Dortmund going forward. But they do seem to be quite solid at the back so I wouldn't expect a high scoring match.

Yep.  Essential we make any corners we get count...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #10: Apr 25, 2016 11:03:49 am
      Given that Villarreal apparently sit and then counter I wonder if Klopp will oblige with the press. This could play into either hands as Villarreal (by all accounts will prefer this approach from us), and this is our number 1 game-plan. Or will he er on the side of caution and set out the lads as he did in Dortmund with a 'typical' away European performance?

I have to say, Firmino's form has stunk IMO recently and he is frustrating at times as he cedes possession of the ball way too often and in some dangerous places too. However, Jürgen seems to like him, and as somebody else said, it doesn't matter the kind of form he's in he seems to get picked. Personally, I'd keep him on the bench but knowing football he'll be picked Thursday night and will bag a brace, become the hero and make me look like a right pillock.  :D

I'd like to see:

Mignolet

Clyne      Kolo     Lovren    Moreno

Allen   Lucas

Milner      Coutinho    Lallana

Sturridge

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: Apr 25, 2016 11:22:19 am
      I'm actually not sure they will sit and counter. Their players are better ball players than ours, and usually, they are dominate in possession and are the ascending team. Without possession, they will still be higher up the pitch and press us, but in a less aggressive manner than us.

Bakamua is someone we should be very wary of, he is pacey, strong and good on the ball. Castillejo is another, more of a quick winger.  We also can not let Bruno dictate, he likes to play those deep lying through balls. Also, Bailly is an absolutely beast, everything you want in a CB, from pace, strength, height to composure.

I think this will be a more difficult game than Dortmund, we'll definitely have to be at our very best.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #12: Apr 25, 2016 11:25:42 am
      I'm actually not sure they will sit and counter. Their players are better ball players than ours, and usually, they are dominate in possession and are the ascending team. Without possession, they will still be higher up the pitch and press us, but in a less aggressive manner than us.

Bakamua is someone we should be very wary of, he is pacey, strong and good on the ball. Castillejo is another, more of a quick winger.  We also can not let Bruno dictate, he likes to play those deep lying through balls. Also, Bailly is an absolutely beast, everything you want in a CB, from pace, strength, height to composure.

I think this will be a more difficult game than Dortmund, we'll definitely have to be at our very best.

Informative PM.

There goes my ideas out the window!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #13: Apr 25, 2016 11:28:24 am
      Just checked out their recent league form and they have lost 2 and drawn 1 of their last 3 games. So they are hardly flying at the moment.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #14: Apr 25, 2016 11:29:54 am
      Informative PM.

There goes my ideas out the window!

Just took the information from the commentators and what I saw yesterday ;D.

I'm actually quite nervous about this match, and apparently, they have the best defensive in La Liga(I've not checked), and we all know how we struggle vs organized teams.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #15: Apr 25, 2016 11:37:26 am

Not sure I agree with that if you look at their team stats for the season they have had 46% possession which is hardly indicative of a possession based team and they have lowest passing stats for any of the teams in the top half of la liga.
      I imagine they are a Atleti lite team when you look at the number of fouls  they have committed over the season.

42 goals scored and 31 conceded.

So they are tight at both ends  :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16: Apr 25, 2016 11:43:29 am
      Not sure why but I d fancy us to come away with at least a draw, a nice early goal would do wonders, but only 1, going into the break 2-0 up is no good for us!! ;-)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #17: Apr 25, 2016 11:48:03 am
      Not sure I agree with that if you look at their team stats for the season they have had 46% possession which is hardly indicative of a possession based team and they have lowest passing stats for any of the teams in the top half of la liga.
      I imagine they are a Atleti lite team when you look at the number of fouls  they have committed over the season.

Perhaps I heard wrong about the dominat possession based style of football, but from what I saw, they are very efficient in their possession play. I think they do have some very strong ball players, and nearly every one of them seem to be comfortable in possession, so I'm not sure they will be sitting back vs us, but we shall see.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #18: Apr 25, 2016 11:54:13 am
      Perhaps I heard wrong about the dominat possession based style of football, but from what I saw, they are very efficient in their possession play. I think they do have some very strong ball players, and nearly every one of them seem to be comfortable in possession, so I'm not sure they will be sitting back vs us, but we shall see.

Yeah I imagine at home they won't be sitting back like a Leicester team but I think they wont be too unhappy at ceding possession especially if they have looked at some of the goals we have conceded on the break.
      Frimply
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #19: Apr 25, 2016 12:01:49 pm
      Cant wait to watch :) Do not like Mignolet, hope he will be changed soon.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #20: Apr 25, 2016 12:14:35 pm

Just the way I like it ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Apr 25, 2016 12:21:18 pm
      Just the advantage of an away goal ( or two) please.

Ta  very much.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22: Apr 25, 2016 12:37:00 pm

Quick Reply