Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Away Goal Rule

Read 1945 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Away Goal Rule
      May 13, 2016 09:00:38 am
      The away goal rule is a subject I find interesting

Is it fair or not, should it be scrapped?

What if you went into extra time (as one pundit said) and you score that away goal? Isn't that an unfair advantage? Obviously in the first leg the other team never got that advantage.

No doubt we've profited from it but I'm sure we've also been on the receiving end of it too.

Personally I don't like it because on some level it is unfair (to me)
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Away Goal Rule
      Reply #1: May 14, 2016 07:21:51 pm

What if you went into extra time (as one pundit said) and you score that away goal? Isn't that an unfair advantage? Obviously in the first leg the other team never got that advantage.

No doubt we've profited from it but I'm sure we've also been on the receiving end of it too.

I agree, using this rule during Extra Time is not fair ... they should scrap it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2: May 14, 2016 07:56:52 pm

It just needs totally jibbing. I just don't see the point in it anymore.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: May 15, 2016 05:44:48 pm
      It needs to be completely scrapped. I doubt anyone would be complaining about it.

It was when AC Milan went through to the Champions League final in 2003. They beat Inter on away goals. Just think about that for a second.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4: May 15, 2016 05:54:24 pm
      What springs to mind is the Europa semi final against Atletico Madrid whan we went out on away goals in extra time. We had 90 mins to score an asset goal at their ground, they had 120 mins to score their away goal! Hardly fair that! That game should have went to penalties, where we still might have went out, but at least it would have been fair. Who knows had we won that game, we would have played Fulham in the final, and could be looking at a fifth Europa trophy on Wednesday.
      Away goals is not a good way to determine the winner. Scrap it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #5: May 15, 2016 07:57:33 pm
      What springs to mind is the Europa semi final against Atletico Madrid whan we went out on away goals in extra time. We had 90 mins to score an asset goal at their ground, they had 120 mins to score their away goal! Hardly fair that! That game should have went to penalties, where we still might have went out, but at least it would have been fair. Who knows had we won that game, we would have played Fulham in the final, and could be looking at a fifth Europa trophy on Wednesday.
      Away goals is not a good way to determine the winner. Scrap it.
      Said it much better than I did

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #6: May 16, 2016 07:07:00 am
      Quote from Rush

In extra time, the home side has an extra 30 minutes with their own fans, on their own pitch, in their own conditions to win a tie. Ditto when it comes to penalties. Is that fair?

The AC Milan-Inter Milan example is an easy one to explain tbh. AC Milan scored in their away game, Inter didn't. Away goals count double, so the team that scored one went through. The home side in the Milan derby has 75% of the stadium capacity for the fans, so it's very much a home game for them.

The away goal rule is used in our sport in pretty much every country in the world in some form. It applies throughout the European group phases, and for every game in La Liga. It works. I would take away goals over penalties every time, as it's decided over 3/3.5 hours of a tie, not 10 minutes.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #7: May 16, 2016 08:33:13 am
      In extra time, the home side has an extra 30 minutes with their own fans, on their own pitch, in their own conditions to win a tie. Ditto when it comes to penalties. Is that fair?
      Good point, no it isn't fair, but I'm not sure it's as severe as an away goal. Away players can do something about the home crowd and conditions, but once an away goal goes in, that's that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #8: May 16, 2016 12:45:01 pm
      It's fair you F***ing pussies! ;)
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #9: May 16, 2016 12:59:09 pm

The AC Milan-Inter Milan example is an easy one to explain tbh. AC Milan scored in their away game, Inter didn't. Away goals count double, so the team that scored one went through. The home side in the Milan derby has 75% of the stadium capacity for the fans, so it's very much a home game for them.

The away goal rule is used in our sport in pretty much every country in the world in some form. It applies throughout the European group phases, and for every game in La Liga. It works. I would take away goals over penalties every time, as it's decided over 3/3.5 hours of a tie, not 10 minutes.

If the game has gone to extra time despite having already played 90 mins in front of your own fans, then being in front of your own fans for 30 mins won't be that much of an advance!
      I have never thought "oh well we'll definitely go through now because we're at home", what I do think is if we concede a goal now we'll likely go out!
      I hate the away goals rule, I can accept going out on pens because that is 50/50
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #10: May 16, 2016 04:58:24 pm
      Quote from Rush
      Good point, no it isn't fair, but I'm not sure it's as severe as an away goal. Away players can do something about the home crowd and conditions, but once an away goal goes in, that's that.

No it isn't. If an away goal goes in, you just stick at it until the ref blows his whistle.

Against Olympiakos we needed 2 in 10 minutes, because of their away goal. We got them in 5.

Against Dortmund, we conceded 3 away goals, and had half an hour to get 3 ourselves. We got them, and the home crowd was a huge factor in getting us over the line both times. While we won on away goals against Barcelona, the only time they've gone out of Europe before the quarter finals in 10 years.

Scoring away goals can be a huge advantage. Conceding away goals makes tasks more difficult, but not impossible. They only count if a tie is level on aggregate at the end, and we have to use some system to decide who progresses. Better over two legs of open play than a 10 minute shootout.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11: May 16, 2016 05:06:25 pm
      Away goals are unfair, they should be scrapped.

Quick Reply