Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Are we going to become the new Leicester?

Read 7880 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Are we going to become the new Leicester?
      Reply #46: May 14, 2016 06:17:42 pm
      if anything can be learned from Leicester its that tactics talk is all bollox it is all about the players Leicester had terrible possession and pass completion rates but they kept on going game after game with that attitude and better players we could actually do something next season in the League.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #47: May 14, 2016 10:56:36 pm
      So no European matches to contend with, early exit from domestic cups,
      Only, occasionally two games per week. This allowed Leicester to win the prem. Well there's another 12 clubs with similar circumstances who never got close.
      Credit where credits due. They found a formula which suited the players they had, end of last season to avoid relegation, and continued with it this season.
      I think the biggest contributing factor after the players, was the united belief in what they were doing, and never doubting it. Next was the shear hard graft from every squad member involved.

I like to think we are developing a similar attitude under Klopp, but with mostly more talented players we have s different style. When Klopp slots in the two or three missing pieces, I expect us to make the next step up and continue our journey to more silverware and unrivalled success.
      But Leicester we will never be, and nor do we need to be, we will have our own identity and style under Klopp, even unlike Dortmund.
      We are Liverpool F. C. Don't forget.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #48: May 14, 2016 11:12:25 pm
      What was the question again?oh yes are Leicester going to become the new Blackburn rovers , of course they are .
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #49: May 15, 2016 12:53:07 am
      Mate your once again talking out of your chocolate star fish, what exactly can we learn from Leicester f***in city,? OK fair play to them they won the f***in league and deservedly so, but c'mon look at the factors, Chavs being sh*te, Citeh capitulating, Arse once again flattering to deceive, Munts the same, and Spuds bottling it,
      That's the facts, Leicester City, with no European football to contend with, no major injuries, a fully committed squad singing from the same songsheet and playing once sometimes twice a week,

They took full advantage of their opportunity, kept their momentum and got there,
      So go on, tell us all exactly what is their magic formula of which we can learn from??

YNWA
      Got to pick out your last paragraph fella, are you honestly compairing Leicester winning the league
       to that of Forest not only winning the league and winning the European cup and defending it,are you actually saying Leicester's is a better achievement?

You really are talking absolute bollocks if you honestly think that??

Ffs honestly.!!

YNWA

No  - Forest had the better achievement, hence I said it was the biggest achievement SINCE Clough's Forest.

What can we learn?

Well you tell me.

do we have better players than Leicester?

Do we have a better tradition than Leicester?

Do we have a bigger budget than Leicester?

If "Yes" to any of these questions do you think we can learn something from where they have succeeded and we have failed?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #50: May 15, 2016 01:42:00 am
      We can learn from Leicester, we can learn from Barcelona, we can learn from Norwich, we can learn from Villa, we can learn from ourselves.

If you're not looking at other teams and learning from what they do well and what they don't then you don't have a good scouting system in place, and you're naive about your place in world football.

To say 'we are Liverpool, we don't learn from anyone' is just stupid and it's that kind of closed mind mentality that ignorance thrives in and success dies in. You don't think Klopp has every club in the league being looked at closely? You think we aren't taking things from German football and using them in our club now? We learn everyday from everyone including Leicester.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #51: May 15, 2016 04:51:14 am
      No  - Forest had the better achievement, hence I said it was the biggest achievement SINCE Clough's Forest.

What can we learn?

Well you tell me.

If "Yes" to any of these questions do you think we can learn something from where they have succeeded and we have failed?
      We learnt here that one season wonders can happen, given the right circumstances.

Lets not make a big deal out of Leicester's achievement. The only teams that we can learn from are the ones that have consistently maintained success, not one season wonders.

As this topic is initially supposed to be about tactics, then i doubt we can learn anything from their 4-4-2 this season. Yes, it gave them the title, but the players played out of their skin and had adequate rest before every game. Next season is going to be their acid test, which i'm pretty sure is gonna burn their players up.

We can make 1 comparison here. Give Ranieri the tight schedule that we had, and injuries to his key players, then we'll see as to where his 4-4-2 will take him. Give him 2 games almost every week, and then see the magic.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #52: May 15, 2016 08:13:57 am
      I like this thread, a few have clung on to the title and responded to the title to that but the question in here is "can we adopt some of the strategies employed by Leicester and win the league with a different style of play?". The league I suspect has never been won by a team with such low possession statistics, I think Leicester must have averaged in the low 40% for the season, it's unheard of. HB made a reference to our approach under Houllier and he is right to a point, we did sit deep, suck in he opposition and kill hem with balls I to space for Heskey and Owen which utilised the excellent passing of Gerrard, Gary Mac and Danny Murphy on the counter. However, agains the lesser sides we still dominated the ball and had to break down opposition who sat back.

I still think this season is a one off, a blip and that possession will win out BUT if doing a Leicester means defending like they did in he run in, holdin your nerve when winning games 1-0 and being superb at defending at set pieces I'm all for some of that!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #53: May 15, 2016 09:35:37 am

What can we learn?

Well you tell me.

You start off your post saying there's contempt for Leicester, but in all honesty the contempt comes from you, you have made it evident that you dislike this club on many occasions and this just another of your posts designed to rile others and to make yourself feel as if you belong , you don't belong mate not to this family, a true supporter would not hold such contempt for a club they claim to support

I take back the comment 'since Forest' I obviously read that wrong, however, you still reiterate that we Liverpool FC with all our history, all our experiences, all our successes, can learn from a Leicester city side who up until this season had won practically F**k ALL,

The answer to all your inane questions is of course 'yes' we do have better players, we do have better traditions, and we do have a larger budget,

It might have escaped your knowledge however minuscule that seems to be, but...

Did Leicester have the injuries like what we sustained throughout the season,?

Did Leicester play in a gruelling Europa cup competition again throughout the season,?

Did Leicester play in the every round of a domestic cup competition including a final ?

Did Leicester have the same amount of time to work with their manager as did ours ?

Did Leicester play 2, 3  times a week and on one occasion 4 in a fortnight ?

If you answered 'yes' to any of them your more deluded than we thought,

You point out that we have failed, yet we have played in one cup final and have another next week, yet our manager like Leicester's is new, with less than 7 months in charge, for me that is progress, and unlike Ranieri our manager hasn't had a pre-season with his players ,

It seems odd to me but while we true supporters were giving it bifters during our recent wins you on the other hand seem to have gone awol, I think that says it all about you really, your agenda shouts loud and clear exactly what kind of person you are !

The art of Wummery is well and truly alive !

YNWA

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #54: May 15, 2016 09:52:05 am

You start off your post saying there's contempt for Leicester, but in all honesty the contempt comes from you, you have made it evident that you dislike this club on many occasions and this just another of your posts designed to rile others and to make yourself feel as if you belong , you don't belong mate not to this family, a true supporter would not hold such contempt for a club they claim to support

You point out that we have failed, yet we have played in one cup final and have another next week, yet our manager like Leicester's is new, with less than 7 months in charge, for me that is progress, and unlike Ranieri our manager hasn't had a pre-season with his players ,

It seems odd to me but while we true supporters were giving it bifters during our recent wins you on the other hand seem to have gone awol, I think that says it all about you really, your agenda shouts loud and clear exactly what kind of person you are !

The art of Wummery is well and truly alive !

YNWA

Says it all Billy.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #55: May 16, 2016 07:19:18 am
      Quote from eurored
      When also asked to prove your ludicrous statements you are unable to ... you hide.

Comparing us to another club? 
      Subject of an LFCReds thread FFS ?

Completely ridiculous and bizarre in the extreme.

You are talking about someone who says Jan Molby (who has won a league here, and again, and again, and the FA Cup for good measure) is wrong when he says teams should be able to cope with playing twice a week, like his teams did. Just dismisses it out of hand.

Anyway, we've won the league 18 times, so they have a lot of catching up to do, before you can start comparing us to them.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #56: May 16, 2016 02:34:08 pm
      Ah yes, thanks for the reminder - Jan Molby was a great player but when it came to understanding sport science and how to organise a team we should probably look at his managerial statistics, no?

Two periods at Kidderminster Harriers punctuated by a spell at Swansea before moving onto Hull where he managed a win percentage of 11%  (two wins, eight draws, seven losses).
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8551 
      Reply #57: May 16, 2016 02:43:57 pm
      Ah yes, thanks for the reminder - Jan Molby was a great player but when it came to understanding sport science and how to organise a team we should probably look at his managerial statistics, no?

Two periods at Kidderminster Harriers punctuated by a spell at Swansea before moving onto Hull where he managed a win percentage of 11%  (two wins, eight draws, seven losses).

He's still managed in football - what's your statistics then?

Throw sports science about all you want, they're the professionals, you ain't!!

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #58: May 16, 2016 02:51:45 pm
      Nobody saw Leicester coming. While all the top teams were focusing on how to counter each other by nullifying their tactics, Leicester played their own game and stuck to it, an damn it worked. Maybe the lesson is always play to your strengths, it almost worked for Brendan too.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #59: May 16, 2016 03:27:06 pm

Sure but there are plenty of successful professionals who take the opposite view to Molby - I agree with them.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #60: May 16, 2016 03:29:46 pm

Professional bullshitter not count?

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #61: May 16, 2016 03:40:06 pm
      I'd say the key things we can learn from Leicester are:

1. Stop blaming the owners for "not backing the manager" every time we lose a game - finance is important but not essential to winning the league. As now proven.

2. We should be going into every season aiming to win with the resources available - no five year plans or putting things on hold to enact a philosophy.

3. The training regime has to make the best use of our available players with the title in mind - there's absolutely no point in flogging them into the physios room midway through a season.

4. Players should play based on merit and form and not be frozen out which just creates disharmony in the dressing room.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #62: May 16, 2016 03:57:12 pm
      I'd say the key things we can learn from Leicester are:

1. Stop blaming the owners for "not backing the manager" every time we lose a game - finance is important but not essential to winning the league. As now proven.

2. We should be going into every season aiming to win with the resources available - no five year plans or putting things on hold to enact a philosophy.

3. The training regime has to make the best use of our available players with the title in mind - there's absolutely no point in flogging them into the physios room midway through a season.

4. Players should play based on merit and form and not be frozen out which just creates disharmony in the dressing room.

Fair points all four of them but they were all part of Ranieri's last summer planning Leicester to avoid being relegated and not win the title.

Next season for example after a defeat they will start the blaming towards the owners or the manager as being defeated in one or two games will be not something natural as it would have deemed this season. ''As long as we stay well above the relegation zone of the table no one blames no one''. That was the philosophy that won't be there next season to protect the squad. This is the mistake that usually costs one season wonder teams dear, that is start considering themselves a title winning club.

LFC IMO can't be planned on this basis. It's not a pressure free club.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016 06:47:32 am by nikos »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #63: May 16, 2016 09:30:29 pm
      win the title one season, and the pressure is doubled the next season. Do Leicester have the strength in depth to cope with that, as well as all the extra european games, (thats if they get out of the group stages)
      I doubt it. I admire them for what they have achieved, but not sure they'll make the top 4 next season.

Quick Reply