Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Should we target any Leicester players for next season?

Read 4088 times
      GMM
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 31 posts |
      Should we target any Leicester players for next season?
      May 16, 2016 11:56:56 am
      Assuming that we have the ability to attract any Leicester player (except Vardy and Mahrez), should we pursue any of them?

Somehow feels like their players fit best in their own team and would struggle at other top clubs. But what are your opinions on any of their players who could possible fit in well with our club.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Should we target any Leicester players for next season?
      Reply #1: May 16, 2016 12:06:13 pm
      Assuming that we have the ability to attract any Leicester player (except Vardy and Mahrez), should we pursue any of them?

Somehow feels like their players fit best in their own team and would struggle at other top clubs. But what are your opinions on any of their players who could possible fit in well with our club.

We've made the mistake of buying one season wonders too often mate so no I wouldn't want any of them.
      GMM
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 31 posts |
      Reply #2: May 16, 2016 12:10:57 pm
      We've made the mistake of buying one season wonders too often mate so no I wouldn't want any of them.

True... but having an entire team of one season wonders is unheard of...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: May 16, 2016 12:12:54 pm
      Kante is supposed to be top quality... depending on who's available he might be an option. I know we have Can, but I think Lucas may leave and Kante would be a good replacement.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: May 16, 2016 12:24:30 pm
      True... but having an entire team of one season wonders is unheard of...

Their one season wonders this season have been Vardy, Mahrez and Kante, the rest are good solid pros who have been consistent and allowed the other 3 to shine.  Not one of those 3 have ever posted numbers like they have this season in their careers, it's possible they will continue with those numbers but it's just as likely they'll return to their mean.

If any of them leave, they'll go for massive money because of those numbers and if we're planning on spending massive money on players I'd rather it be on players who've averaged those numbers consistently throughout their careers, wherever that may have been.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #5: May 16, 2016 12:26:36 pm

No, Leicester's season was a one off freak title win.

There's a good chance it won't happen again in our lifetime.

Outside of Kante in CM I think we are stronger in every other position and will finish higher in the table than Leicester next season.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: May 16, 2016 12:36:57 pm
      Only Leicester player I would love us to try for is Kante, I feel he would really help take our defense and attack to the next level. Would certainly be a starter without doubt.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #7: May 16, 2016 12:39:51 pm
      Kante is the only one tbh. Mahrez and Vardy had great seasons but that's the first time Mahrez has ever produced those numbers and Vardy has only ever come close to it once and that was in the Championship. They'd cost way too much for them to be viable options.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #8: May 16, 2016 12:42:29 pm
      Leicester would take the piss with any transfer fee, like Southampton did. I don't think we should be held to ransom by another premier league team again.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #9: May 16, 2016 12:42:49 pm
      Kante I feel is not a one season wonder. Less convinced about Mahrez and Vardy. If we can get Kante for £20m (rumoured release clause if I remember correctly), then I'd make the move immediately.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #10: May 16, 2016 12:51:30 pm
      Kante I feel is not a one season wonder. Less convinced about Mahrez and Vardy. If we can get Kante for £20m (rumoured release clause if I remember correctly), then I'd make the move immediately.

He would be the priority summer signing for me tbh. I would class him as a marquee signing. He's like a Makelele on drugs for me, covers sooooooooo much ground and is a good passer too, but most importantly, he knows his role is to defend in which he does exceptionally well.

I am still not convinced fully on Mahrez, and Vardy is turning 30 soon, so no thanks.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11: May 16, 2016 01:13:11 pm
      Kante I would like us to sign and that's it. Mahrez has had a great season but I don't think he deserves his player of the season award. In the last 10 games, I think he only has 1 goal and 0 assists.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #12: May 16, 2016 01:36:48 pm
      Ben Chilwell.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #13: May 16, 2016 02:15:24 pm
      Agreed with all about Kante and like PurpleMonkey I think a top defensive mind midfielder is our most need since Mascherano left. If it's me this position will be top priority of signing.     
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #14: May 16, 2016 02:20:17 pm
      Kante I would like us to sign and that's it. Mahrez has had a great season but I don't think he deserves his player of the season award. In the last 10 games, I think he only has 1 goal and 0 assists.

Vardy and Kante had a better season overall.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: May 16, 2016 03:26:25 pm
      Kante is supposed to be top quality... depending on who's available he might be an option. I know we have Can, but I think Lucas may leave and Kante would be a good replacement.

Supposedly being the operative word here s@int, there is no question he has shone brightest in Leicester's slightly better than average squad, and dare I say slightly better than average season, but put him in a side where the demands are much higher then I feel he could be faced with the rabbit in the headlights thingy,

As for a replacement for Lucas, I think Jürgen may already have a solution right here amongst our own ranks, imho there are two possible candidates, Youngsters Joe Gomez or Cameron Brannigan, my preference would be Gomez, he has a maturity beyond his years. Is lightening quick, has a pass even Xabi or Jan would be proud of and can read the game like a seasoned pro, now Jürgen may have him slotting in as a LB or a CB but I think he could thrive in front of a solid back four alongside Emre.

YNWA

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16: May 16, 2016 03:39:58 pm
      Supposedly being the operative word here s@int, there is no question he has shone brightest in Leicester's slightly better than average squad, and dare I say slightly better than average season, but put him in a side where the demands are much higher then I feel he could be faced with the rabbit in the headlights thingy,

As for a replacement for Lucas, I think Jürgen may already have a solution right here amongst our own ranks, imho there are two possible candidates, Youngsters Joe Gomez or Cameron Brannigan, my preference would be Gomez, he has a maturity beyond his years. Is lightening quick, has a pass even Xabi or Jan would be proud of and can read the game like a seasoned pro, now Jürgen may have him slotting in as a LB or a CB but I think he could thrive in front of a solid back four.

YNWA

I don't really watch other sides any more mate, so I'm not the best one to judge other players, but from what little I have seen (and read) of Kante he seems a quality player. I think DM is one of those positions like CB that players get better in as they mature, so while I think Gomez and Brannigan are excellent players with huge potential, I would prefer a more experience DM at the moment (not necessarily Kante).

Can may be the solution as he sometimes looks outstanding but he hasn't yet shown it consistently.

I doubt we would be going for Kante anyway mate as we would have to pay such a big premium after Leicester's exploits this season.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #17: May 16, 2016 03:44:11 pm
      I don't really watch other sides any more mate, so I'm not the best one to judge other players, but from what little I have seen (and read) of Kante he seems a quality player. I think DM is one of those positions like CB that players get better in as they mature, so while I think Gomez and Brannigan are excellent players with huge potential, I would prefer a more experience DM at the moment (not necessarily Kante).

Can may be the solution as he sometimes looks outstanding but he hasn't yet shown it consistently.

I doubt we would be going for Kante anyway mate as we would have to pay such a big premium after Leicester's exploits this season.

Fairy muff mate, tbh I didn't think about the youthfulness of Branners or Gomez and to be fair you have a very good point, I guess Jürgen's is best placed and will find some who fits perfectly .

YNWA
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18: May 16, 2016 05:35:49 pm
      Vardy and Kante had a better season overall.

Hmm not sure Vardy, he went about 8 games without a goal on a few occasions. Don't get me wrong, they have had a phenomenal season but I haven't seen anything better from individual players to what we already have other than Kante. Not including the keepers in this, because although Schmeicel has been better than Migs, I don't think he is top class. But they have really clicked as a team and bring out the best in each other, just Kante looks a class above IMO.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #19: May 16, 2016 06:05:10 pm
      Kante would be the one that stands out for me
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #20: May 16, 2016 06:36:02 pm
      Hmm not sure Vardy, he went about 8 games without a goal on a few occasions. Don't get me wrong, they have had a phenomenal season but I haven't seen anything better from individual players to what we already have other than Kante. Not including the keepers in this, because although Schmeicel has been better than Migs, I don't think he is top class. But they have really clicked as a team and bring out the best in each other, just Kante looks a class above IMO.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kante will be top 3 best DM in Europe for the next 3-4 seasons if he stays fit and plays regularly. He should have cleaned up the individual awards tbh. I would seriously love us to offer him a 100k-140k a week contract and try to turn his head. I really think we'll challenge for the league and CL(If we win the EL final) with him.

Come to think of it, have you seen a DM as good as Masch since he left us for Barca? The one before that was Makelele. I think Kante will be the next one.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #21: May 16, 2016 07:19:29 pm
      Kante, but can't see him or any of their more important players leaving Leicester during the summer. Ranieri will have been on to them to have a crack at the Champions League.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22: May 16, 2016 07:41:47 pm
      Might see Mahrez leaving if a PSG come knocking but i don't see why any of them will leave. They have the money to keep them around.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #23: May 16, 2016 08:50:01 pm
      Any player leaving Leicester before having a go at CL are selling themselves short. Leicester are a wild card and European teams are used to skilled superstars over hard working team players. Can see them turning some big teams over.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #24: May 16, 2016 10:58:01 pm
      Short answer. No. Not a fan of buying players from a club only because that club exceeded expectations. I would rather evaluate players individually and see how they would fit in here. If it so happens that the club he is at exceeded expectations then so be it, but that should not be a factor at all. In Leicester's case I am not seeing too many players that I would want. I am not saying they are not talented, but we would have to overpay for them and I think there are better players that can be found especially with Klopp's keen eye for talent abroad.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #25: May 17, 2016 12:56:27 am
      no we shouldnt
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #26: May 17, 2016 07:58:27 am
      I cant see any Leicester player playing for us.
      They have won the tittle and that is a big thing but i dont see any of them as a top player.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #27: May 17, 2016 09:14:11 am
      If they have players we think can improve us then of course we should.

No need to 'target' them more than any other club though.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #28: May 17, 2016 10:02:33 am
      We have messed up our transfer policy for decades I haven't a clue what will happen but I don't expect any superstar signings if I could find 4 Dirk kuyt's that would do me I think Jürgen is all about the team no the individual.
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #29: May 17, 2016 10:32:38 am
      if kante has got a 20m release fee we should trigger it today. we need a player like that in the team . we havent had one since macharano
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #30: May 18, 2016 08:31:58 am
      I think the only player we will get from Leicester is Chilwell and that could be closer than we think.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #31: May 20, 2016 12:06:15 pm
      Kante would be a perfect Klopp player imo.
      We could do with somebody who can really tackle and hussle in CM. He's great at both and has good quality on the ball as well.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #32: May 20, 2016 06:39:23 pm
      The only thing we should look at from Leicester is how they fitted in and bought these hidden talents. Other than that I don't see any major Leicester player leaving the club this summer because I don't think they want to.

But secondly it's a cheap trick by any club to suddenly start sniffing around the unexpected champions and would be indicative of a club that has no ideas or any clue with a non existent transfer policy and no idea as to what team WE want. It would be really embarrassing.

That we haven't been linked with any Leicester players apart from Ben Chilwell (who let's face it wasn't a part of that title winning team) shows that we have our own plan as opposed to shamelessly eating off the floor of Leicester. That we are being liked with the likes of chars, Zielinski with Grujic and Matip on board already shows we, or rather Jürgen and his coaching staff, have a plan they are confident in.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #33: May 20, 2016 06:55:03 pm
      The only thing we should look at from Leicester is how they fitted in and bought these hidden talents. Other than that I don't see any major Leicester player leaving the club this summer because I don't think they want to.

But secondly it's a cheap trick by any club to suddenly start sniffing around the unexpected champions and would be indicative of a club that has no ideas or any clue with a non existent transfer policy and no idea as to what team WE want. It would be really embarrassing.

That we haven't been linked with any Leicester players apart from Ben Chilwell (who let's face it wasn't a part of that title winning team) shows that we have our own plan as opposed to shamelessly eating off the floor of Leicester. That we are being liked with the likes of chars, Zielinski with Grujic and Matip on board already shows we, or rather Jürgen and his coaching staff, have a plan they are confident in.

It wouldn't be embarrassing in the slightest. You sign the best players you can. If they fit the team then where you get them from is irrelevant.

It is probably true that ( astonishing as it is to hear myself saying it) Leicester's players probably won't want to come to us for next season cos they have the champs league and we don't.

However its not a certainty and if Kante was available I would be interested.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #34: May 23, 2016 09:44:45 am
      Why not. It's not about the name or what team they played for IMO, it's about if they can play the pressing game that Klopp wants.

Quick Reply