Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Best Liverpool keeper?

Pepe Reina
      (25.2%)
      Bruce Grobbelaar
      (15.9%)
      Ray Clemence
      (56.3%)
      Tommy Lawrence
      (0.7%)
      Elisha Scott
      (2%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Goalkeeper.

Read 12552 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Goalkeeper.
      May 23, 2016 06:12:52 pm
      I've been thinking about this thread for a while as something to pass the time over the summer.

I was thinking that week by week we can have a discussion on who we all feel have been our greatest players position by position and have a poll at the end of the week to select the player.

After 11 weeks we have the LFC Reds greatest ever side.

Might not get off the ground but l thought I'd have a go anyway.

I was thinking if we stick to 4 2 3 1 as that gets a back four, two CM, wide players, a support striker or '10' and a centre forward.

So first off Goalkeepers.

P.S. If a kind mod could add a poll that would be great.
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2016 07:53:51 pm by JD »
      +12
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever LFC Team: Goalkeeper.
      Reply #1: May 23, 2016 06:16:22 pm
      Okay mate, we can make this a series for the weeks ahead.

If you PM me the options you'd like up for the poll I'll add them on for you.

Good idea, by the way.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: May 23, 2016 06:18:58 pm
      Gotta be Clemence for me Si.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: May 23, 2016 06:24:21 pm
      Ray Clemence best by far mate. After him it becomes a lot more difficult, but no doubt who was the best.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #4: May 23, 2016 06:24:48 pm
      Okay mate, we can make this a series for the weeks ahead.

If you PM me the options you'd like up for the poll I'll add them on for you.

Good idea, by the way.

I was thinking that if anyone wants to post about who they feel is their 'greatest' then we can have the poll at the end of the week.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5: May 23, 2016 06:25:39 pm
      I've been thinking about this thread for a while as something to pass the time over the summer.

I was thinking that week by week we can have a discussion on who we all feel have been our greatest players position by position and have a poll at the end of the week to select the player.

After 11 weeks we have the LFC Reds greatest ever side.

Might not get off the ground but l thought I'd have a go anyway.

I was thinking if we stick to 4 2 3 1 as that gets a back four, two CM wide players, a support striker or '10' and a centre forward.

So first off Goalkeepers.

P.S. If a kind mod could add a poll that would be great.

Good idea Si!

Clem will probably win but I wasn't old enough to see him live and for me I only think of 2 and that's Brucie and Reina. For a short time I thought Reina was absolutely unbelievable and if he kept that level he'd win it easily in my opinion but he did drop off a touch.

I remember Brucie from my childhood and the 86 cup final save from Sharp sticks in my mind, searched out a vid and there's a good word in there from Kenny. You couldn't argue with his assessment, I've never seen a keeper with the spring that Grobs had. So I'd just shade it to Reina but not much in it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfoIurDhtOI
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #6: May 23, 2016 06:28:46 pm
      There have been to my mind three or four very good goalkeepers. Clemence was solid over many years and seemed to reserve any f*** ups for when he played for England which was fine by me. Dudek initially was absolutely excellent until the Forlan thing seemingly finished him, while Grobbelaar was always a much better keeper than he was given credit for IMHO. My vote though, for a couple of seasons or so when he was as good as anything else around was Pepe Reina. When he was good, he was really very bloody good indeed.

That said, I don't think goalkeeper is a position where we have excelled over the years. Reina as good as he was wasn't in the Neur/De Gea class of today in my opinion, but he was our best.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #7: May 23, 2016 06:30:01 pm
      Good idea Si!

Clem will probably win but I wasn't old enough to see him live and for me I only think of 2 and that's Brucie and Reina. For a short time I thought Reina was absolutely unbelievable and if he kept that level he'd win it easily in my opinion but he did drop off a touch.

I remember Brucie from my childhood and the 86 cup final save from Sharp sticks in my mind, searched out a vid and there's a good word in there from Kenny. You couldn't argue with his assessment, I've never seen a keeper with the spring that Grobs had. So I'd just shade it to Reina but not much in it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfoIurDhtOI

Agree that Clem I probably the likely choice for the goalie but like you I grew up with Bruce and he was a fantastic keeper.

Pepe was great for a shorter spell and has less honors to his name than the other two as well.

The Keeper position may be the easiest for us when it comes to a vote but a good place to start.

MsGerrard
      Reply #8: May 23, 2016 06:40:13 pm
      Gotta be Clem for me too, he was a superb shot stopper.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #9: May 23, 2016 07:21:26 pm
      I have been supporting us since early 90s, and best I've seen is Reina, and he was at his best for 2 seasons only? Can't believe the amount of sh*t we had over the years come to think of it.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #10: May 23, 2016 07:33:52 pm
      Clem for me all day long, if it wasn't for the presence of Shilton he would have been Englands best goalkeeper at the time, second only to Gordon Banks.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #11: May 23, 2016 07:34:38 pm
      Great idea Si, hats off,

I'm another who was too young to witness Clem although I have seen lots and lots of footage, Brucie is who I seen most live and of course Pepe, very difficult to choose but I have to go with Brucie, he shades it by way of trophies, and he was of course a proper f***in fruitcake, who will ever forget his wobbly legs and his reaction after, still has me pmsl everytime I watch it.

YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #12: May 23, 2016 07:41:58 pm
      I'm another who was too young to witness Clem

You sure about that Bill? ;)

As I was born in 79 the best I can remember is Pepe followed by Brucie but as you folk are saying in here and from what my Dad says it seems Clem was the one.

EDIT: Nice one Si and also Res.

Also, nice to have something to not argue about... until we get to RB and CM :D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #13: May 23, 2016 07:44:55 pm
      I only remember David James, Brad Friedel Sander Westerveld, Jersy Dudek, Pepe Reina and Simon Mignolet as regulars. From those, Pepe was the best with Dudek coming close second. I love watching video of Bruce Grobbelaar and I think he was the best. I watched very few clips of Roy Clemence.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14: May 23, 2016 07:47:13 pm
      As much as i loved brucie, it has to be patrice luzi or daniele padelli, sorry meant ray clemence
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15: May 23, 2016 07:54:50 pm
      I wasn't around for Grobbelaar's heyday and can only really say that Reina is the best keeper I have ever seen play for Liverpool in my memory (not much competition from the 90s onwards to be fair!). He was the best signing Rafa ever made and was the basis of a rock solid defence in that season of ours from 10 years ago when we won the FA Cup. Seemed to possess a technical ability that no other keeper seemed to have in the Premier League up until that point. And of course a superb shootout keeper, just the sort you need in the latter stages of a cup competition!

But from what I've read and seen, Clemence strikes me that he really set the standards for the likes of Grobbelaar and Reina later on to reach to...bare hands and all! Seemed like just the sort of character you'd want in the dressing room as well. He's probably the standard bearer.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #16: May 23, 2016 07:55:18 pm
      My memory unfortunately doesn't precede the 21st century, so there's really only 4 regulars for me to choose from. Out of Westerveld, Dudek, Reina & Mignolet, it's obviously Pepe by a landslide personally.

Great thread btw.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #17: May 23, 2016 07:57:11 pm
      As much as i loved brucie, it has to be patrice luzi or daniele padelli, sorry meant ray clemence

What no Pegguy Arphexad or Michael Stensgaard!! Even though before my time I'd have to plump for Clemance here.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #18: May 23, 2016 07:58:45 pm
      I was going to go for Clem as well but Brucie was a bit bonkers so gone for him instead.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #19: May 23, 2016 07:59:52 pm

Paul Jones - super loanee!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: May 23, 2016 08:10:32 pm
      Grobbelaar in my life time.

Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #21: May 23, 2016 08:11:58 pm
      Was going to go for Mike hooper or Steve Oggy  :f_tongueincheek:but Clemo for me,great shot stopper and always commanded his area with such aplomb & dominance.
      Top bloke off the pitch too,his mum used to live in the same road I grew up on & whenever he visited  he always stopped to chat to
      Me and me mates as we where always having a kick about in the road & often sorted out match tickets for us
      Even when he went to Spurs.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: May 23, 2016 08:16:43 pm
      Thinking about it Keepers pre-premier league era probably had it a bit easier, they could pick up a pass back, balls didn't hit the trajectory or speed they do nowadays.

Would be interesting to see the greats at their peak in the modern game and see how they handled it for sure.

Quick Reply