Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Huge season ahead for Liverpool Football Club...

Read 4832 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Huge season ahead for Liverpool Football Club...
      Reply #23: Jun 01, 2016 09:40:23 am
      Top four is the absolute minimum. A cup would be nice. But as 5times say it is probably our best chance of winning the league.

Forget Mourinho or Pep because it will be very difficult for them to hit the ground running. Not only have they just landed at their new clubs, but the euros is on, so they can't have a proper pre season anyway. Once the euros finishes then players take their holidays with their family's so they will both have very little time to prepare. They will sign a bunch of new players each too and it doesn't matter how good of a manager you are, those players will need time to gel. Same applies to Conte.

Although Leicester were brilliant throughout this season, it still has to go down as a fluke. They won't repeat what they did next season, especially with the demand of European football.

I expect Spurs to be strong, they have a top manager in Pochettino. Arsenal will also be there or thereabouts. Neither are a huge threat though. They aren't invincible.

We on the other hand have had a season under Klopp now. Our players know how he wants to play and what he expects from them. We will strengthen in key areas like GK and LB where we really struggled this season. We have no European football which is a dent to our pride for a club of our stature but we won't have to rotate the squad. We might have finished 8th but remember the injury crisis we had mid season? Just after Klopp arrived actually and our players were pulling hammys every other day? How many reserve teams did we put out to keep our first 11 fresh for Europe too? Particularly towards the end of the season.

So our players will be fresh and presumably injury free. We have Ings and Gomez coming back in who I think will be huge squad players for us, both of them are great options to have. Sakho has got off from sniffing glue too which is a huge lift. We will go back to 1 game a week and last time we did that we almost won the f**king thing.

I expect big things from us next season and I am definitely not one of those supporters who says 'next year will be our year'. But I actually think it f**king will be.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: Jun 01, 2016 10:08:35 am
      Luckily for us Jürgen is neither a yes man or a muppet and will do what is best for the club...with the 3rd highest net spend in the league the past 5 years and now somebody by his own admission that has total control we can expect to see some marked differences in the transfer market.
      Personally speaking; I'd love to see our manager given first call (not just last call) so...  If true; that [bit in bold] is great news A-Zed. :nod:

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #25: Jun 01, 2016 10:38:11 am
      I think a lot will depend on how we start the season. Much like the 13/14 season, if we get off to a flyer and are 3 wins from 3 then we can start to build some momentum.

Pre season is going to be huge for us and in many ways it is a shame for the club that our players are away for their countries and will need holidays and breaks when they return home.

The more time Klopp can get with these players on the training ground the more likely it is we can hit the ground running.

To me that means behind the scenes we should be looking to sign players as soon as is possible so that by the time to whistle blows, our squad knows exactly what is needed from them under Jürgen

Not going to lie though, i'm quite enjoying the little break from club football. Theres the Euros, Cricket, Wimbledon and the Olympics to follow in the mean time.

Once all that subsides then I will be bang up for yet another season of highs and lows with this lot.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #26: Jun 01, 2016 12:12:28 pm
      It seems like every season we say, "Next season is a huge season for us," only to fail.

We must believe that it will be our year. This does not mean that it is granted, we need to work hard for it.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #27: Jun 01, 2016 01:23:23 pm
      With respect, I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Forget about the domestic Cups, forget about top four, everything at Liverpool from this moment on should be focused solely on winning the league. Not on finishing in the top four, not winning domestic cups that are nice to have but not terribly important in the grand scheme of things, only coming first.

We have the advantage over the other clubs whose managers are either settling in to new clubs and/or new leagues. We don't have the 'distraction' of Europe next season, our manager has had a year to assess where his squad's shortcomings are, so every bit of our focus can be put on the singular goal of winning the league.

Give Mourinho, Conte and Guardiola a year and it will be exponentially more difficult to achieve this. It's now or never and everyone at the club from the tea lady to the groundsman to the players to the manager to the chairman to, most importantly, the fans, need to focus only on first place. If you're not first, you're nowhere and we will not get a better chance of winning the league than next year.

This for me!!
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #28: Jun 02, 2016 03:23:22 pm
      One of the key things for me last season was players taking turns to let us down. Just when one wises up after a huge individual letup, another drops a new bomb.

New players coming will provide a big wakeup call to complacent players. I have no doubt this will be addressed next season. Because competition for places breeds more competitive training sessions which in turn lifts the standard of play and winning mentality in actual matches. We're headed in the right direction.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #29: Jun 02, 2016 06:37:12 pm
      Personally I couldn't care less which other team had whoever as their managers ,As far as I'm concerned if we can start the new season with a fit injury free squad then we will do well and be in the top three in the premier league. Jürgen and the lads will come good this season .
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #30: Jun 02, 2016 10:26:19 pm
      Do we need one with Can growing into the role?

Can is definitely one for the future but having a Masch like in midfield won't do any harm but only reinforces that position as players get injured along the way. Imagine, before stepping onto the pitch and knowing well ahead that I'll be coming up against a burly DM certainly strikes fear in me and doesn't gives me any comfort either.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #31: Jun 02, 2016 10:33:22 pm
      Is right ....
      and now Masch is going on to Juve !

We let him go for £17 mill to Barca .
      Insane it was.

Yes, we should have gotten more out of that deal but I believe Masch, Alonso and Torres saw and knew exactly what was going on inside the club back then, that is a lack of ambition due to financial reasons and/or other reasons, of course this is not the only reason  and they moved on. Till this day I still believe if we had another 2 more world class players in the starting 11  we could have been serious contenders for titles. Sadly, talking of hindsight.
      « Last Edit: Jun 02, 2016 10:45:14 pm by redkop63 »
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #32: Jun 02, 2016 10:44:46 pm
      Luckily for us Jürgen is neither a yes man or a muppet and will do what is best for the club...with the 3rd highest net spend in the league the past 5 years and now somebody by his own admission that has total control we can expect to see some marked differences in the transfer market.

I have the hunch that the owners may already have the trust in Klopp and will allow him a free hand in getting the players he needed, getting to 2 cup finals and nearly making top 4 is no fluke and clearly indicates Klopp has what is needed to succeed here, it's the lack of quality players that has failed us in the 2 cup finals and also the finishing top 4. I wonl' be surprised that he is given a good budget to bring in 2 or even 3 world class players and that will be most welcome.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6353 
      Reply #33: Jun 03, 2016 04:00:31 am
      In other news, the sky is blue.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Jun 03, 2016 08:35:32 am
      quite honestly we cant do much worse than we have done for the previous 20 years.What we need to do is look at the successful players and learn from them and why they are succesful

Quick Reply