Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC's best ever right back?

Markus Babbel
      (5.4%)
      Chris Lawler
      (8.5%)
      Phil Neal
      (42.3%)
      Steve Nicol
      (18.5%)
      Steve Finnan
      (17.7%)
      Rob Jones
      (7.7%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Right Back

Read 10605 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Right Back
      May 29, 2016 06:48:02 pm
      After what I thought would be a straightforward enough debate oj the goal keeper we'll move on to the next position to find the LFC Reds Greatest ever side.

We have had many fantastic right backs over the years at this club and I'm sure this could be a more interesting debate as from probably every era someone will have an argument for their guy to get the nod.

From the older guys on here like Billy, Skip and Saint to name a few right up to the newer supporters everyone could rightly make a case for a RB.

So lets have a debate and like the keeper a poll will go up towards next weekend so you can make you choice.

Don't forget to vote for your goalie if you haven't already done so.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,416 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Right Back
      Reply #1: May 29, 2016 06:55:59 pm
      Salif diao by a country mile . (Phil neal really)
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,539 posts | 725 
      Reply #2: May 29, 2016 07:00:45 pm
      Rob Jones!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3: May 29, 2016 07:03:40 pm
      Chris Lawler.

The quiet gentleman aka The Ghost

Quoted from This Is Anfield.
      http://www.thisisanfield.com/2007/04/forgotten-heroes-chris-lawler/

If my primary school headmaster had seen Chris Lawler’s performances for Liverpool in the sixties and early seventies, he would have died of apoplexy at the sight of a defender running forward during a match and having the audacity to score goals.

I can just see my old headmaster now, with his insistence that the only proper formation was 2-3-5, and that the two full-backs should never cross the half-way line. What he would never have understood was that Chris Lawler ‘“ as one of four defenders ‘“ was a pioneer of the overlapping system of play, that allowed full-backs to push forward ahead of midfield players, effectively defending by attacking.

It was a remarkably successful tactic for both Lawler and for Liverpool, as he racked up an amazing goal-scoring record of 61 goals in 546 games. That’s a respectable scoring rate of one goal for every eight or nine games, which is still a record for any Liverpool defender, and is especially remarkable when we realise that none of those goals came from penalties.

In the 1969-70 season, he was the club’s second highest scorer with ten, and in all European competitions during his Liverpool career he scored eleven times.

Chris was a local lad who came through the ranks of Liverpool’s youth teams. He signed professional forms on his 17th birthday (October 20th) in 1960, but had to wait until March of 1963 before he made his debut against West Bromwich Albion at Anfield. In that entire season, he made only six appearances, initially pairing up in the middle with Captain Ron Yeats. He then made another six appearances the following season, including a three game spell late in the season in place of Yeats, during Liverpool’s run-in to the 1964 championship.

At the start of the 1964-65 season, Ronnie Moran retired and Gerry Byrne switched from right-back to left-back, leaving the right-back’s position vacant; until Lawler took the spot for himself. By the end of that season, he had played in 32 consecutive First Division games, and then played in the FA Cup Final win against Leeds United.
      At the end of the following season, he had gained a League Champions medal, and a runners-up medal in the Cup Winners Cup which was Liverpool’s first ever European final.

His style of play was plain and simple.

There were no tricks or flamboyant moves that would attract attention, just a calm methodical approach to the game that made it look so simple.
      He was once described as ‘sauntering through games with all the apparent urgency of a man out walking his dog.’

But, if anyone thought that he was not completely focused on the job at hand, they soon found out just how dangerous he could be. He had an uncanny knack of calmly taking the ball from a defensive position, playing it forward to start an attack, and then somehow disappearing from view only to reappear in the oppositions’ penalty area and then knocking the ball into the net.

That ability of making blind-side runs forward earned him one of his nicknames as The Ghost.’ If his style of play on the pitch was quiet and unassuming, it was a fair reflection of his quiet and modest personality off the pitch, which led to him also becoming known by the nickname The Silent Knight’.

Many of the goals that Chris Lawler scored were memorable for their importance as they were often the key to Liverpool’s success.
      The first European Cup Winners Cup match against Juventus was a 1-0 loss in Turin, but was overturned by goals from Lawler and Strong in the second leg at Anfield.
      That was followed by a pair of goals against Standard Liege. Then, at the quarter final stage against Honved with a 0-0 draw from the first leg in Hungary, Lawler scored one of the two goals at Anfield in the second leg that put Liverpool through to the semi-final against Celtic. Liverpool were back in the European Cup as League Champions from the 1965-66 season, when they were comprehensively beaten by Ajax after a 5-1 loss in the first leg in Amsterdam.

It was Lawler who scored the consolation goal in the very last minute of the match, but the deficit was too much to overcome in the second leg and Liverpool were subsequently knocked out.

There were many domestic games where Lawler’s goals were crucial, including one that Everton supporters would rather forget.

That was in the derby match at Anfield in November of 1970. Shankly’s new squad looked decidedly shaky with new signing John Toshack looking unconvincing as a striker. As the second half began with the score 0-0, Everton suddenly stormed into a 2-0 lead. That would normally be enough but on this day it wasn’t. Heighway pulled one back in the sixty ninth minute, and Toshack showed his value as he equalised in the seventy sixth minute. Then, as if a script had been written for this game, Lawler pushed forward as the match was nearing its end and knocked in the winner with six minutes left. He broke Evertonian hearts once again two years later when Liverpool thumped them with one from Lawler and one from Emlyn Hughes, after two earlier own-goals, to make it a 4-0 rout.

If anything is more amazing than his scoring prowess it’s his fitness and durability, with him missing only three of 336 League matches over seven seasons.

He was always a first choice on Bill Shankly’s team sheet, even when Shankly decided to break up his squad for the 1970-71 season and bring in some new younger players like Heighway, Hall, Lloyd, Clemence, and Evans. Lawler was one of only four senior players from the side to survive the cull and continue with the new squad (the other three were Callaghan, Smith, and Hughes). With this new squad, Lawler picked up a runners-up medal for the 1971 FA Cup Final loss to Arsenal, and then went on to collect more winners medals for League Champions and UEFA Cup winners in 1973, and an FA Cup winners medal in 1974. During that 1972-73 League and UEFA Cup winning season, Chris played in all 66 competitive games that the club were involved in on four fronts.

Not surprisingly he represented England at schoolboy, youth, under 23, and senior levels. What is surprising is that he only received four caps at full international level, including his dream debut in 1971 where he scored a spectacular goal against Malta at Wembley in a 5-0 win.

When Bill Shankly retired in the summer of 1974 it was effectively the end of Chris Lawler’s Liverpool career. Bob Paisley brought in Phil Neal as his replacement, and only selected Lawler for a few games. His final appearance for Liverpool came in September of 1975 against Hibernian in the UEFA cup, after which he moved to Portsmouth the following month (who were under the management of fellow Liverpool retiree Ian St. John). After a couple of seasons on the south coast he moved on to Stockport County, Miami Toros in America, and Bangor City of the Irish League.

One of the most famous stories about Chris Lawler and his quiet nature comes from an incident where Shankly was playing in a five-a-side match and a goal by Shanks was being disputed. Chris was asked to settle the dispute and in his typical short and to-the-point manner simply said, No goal, boss.’ Shankly was livid and started yelling, saying to him,

"Bloody hell Chris!
      "Ye don’t open yer mouth for ten years and now when yer do it’s a bloody lie!"

That and many other stories were told as Chris Lawler became high in demand as an after-dinner speaker. His association with Liverpool continued through the eighties when he was scouting for players and coached the reserve team. In more recent years he has been in semi-retirement coaching young players in the Skelmersdale area.

There’s always going to be debate as to who was Liverpool’s best ever right back.
      For me, as well as for many Reds, it’s an easy choice.

Other players may have earned more medals and gone on to greater glory, but Chris Lawler will always have a special place in our memories as a player who pushed forward so effectively to score more goals than any other defender in the club’s history.
      In last year’s survey of over 100,000 Liverpool supporters, Chris was chosen as number 51 in the "100 Players Who Shook the Kop.’

A fitting tribute to a great man and a legendary player.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016 02:30:54 pm by eurored »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: May 29, 2016 07:07:54 pm
      Tough one this, or at least tougher than the keeper one but I think it's got to be Phil Neal for me.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5: May 29, 2016 07:21:38 pm
      I think Phil Neal could win this by a landslide because I honestly think this is the position we've lacked the most quality in my football watching lifetime.

I saw a small amount of Phil Neal growing up but not much so it would be unfair of me to choose him based on videos and reputation so I'll go for Rob Jones. A player I thought could have been absolutely tremendous had it not been for such terrible luck with injuries. To be fair his main competition was Steve Finnan and after that a there's a huge gulf to Arbeloa (who I never rated nearly as much as others seemed to).

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #6: May 29, 2016 07:21:54 pm
      Again I have to go by who I've seen.

I think based on how good they were on their best, Marcus Babbel gets the nod over Steve Finnan.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #7: May 29, 2016 07:25:59 pm
      Stevie Nicol.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #8: May 29, 2016 07:26:56 pm
      Finnan for me, Mr Consistent.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #9: May 29, 2016 07:28:14 pm

Was waiting for someone to post this.

My choice as well.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #10: May 29, 2016 07:37:59 pm
      Was waiting for someone to post this.

My choice as well.

Scored a few as well. Not all from RB like, had played everywhere by the time he left us.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #11: May 29, 2016 08:14:09 pm
      Another tough choice,Phil Neal for me,dependable & reliable as was stevie Nicol incredible players & incredible number of appearances between the both of them.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 763 
      Reply #12: May 29, 2016 08:24:03 pm
      I am also going for Chris Lawler, banged in a few goals too. Ten in one season if I remember correctly. No doubt Eurored can correct me if I am wrong. Think us more mature supporters have a slight advantage, in remembering these great players from the past. Still it is all good fun.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #13: May 29, 2016 08:41:50 pm
      Can only go on players I saw so it's a straight fight between Markus Babbel and Steve Finnan for me.

I think at their best they were both so reliable, but Babbel at his best I think had more and there's also the 'what if' factor if he hadn't been struck down by illness. Babbel for me!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14: May 29, 2016 09:25:44 pm
      Can only go on players I saw so it's a straight fight between Markus Babbel and Steve Finnan for me.

I think at their best they were both so reliable, but Babbel at his best I think had more and there's also the 'what if' factor if he hadn't been struck down by illness. Babbel for me!

I was going to mention Marcus Babbel fantastic player. Phil Neal was practically made of kryptonite he was never injured he played 417 games in a row missed three games through injury then played another 127 games.  Chris Lawler was one of those players who set the standards for others to follow an immaculate footballer  and a true legend
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #15: May 29, 2016 09:33:17 pm
      Would have loved to have seen Chris Lawler and Phil Neal play.

Fantastic servants both and great footballers.

But for me, as I said above, the best Right Back in my memory has been Steve Nicol.

Another fantastic footballer and could play a few other positions equally as well.

In the side in the late 80's he was unreal at times.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: May 29, 2016 09:36:10 pm
      Would have loved to have seen Chris Lawler and Phil Neal play.

Fantastic servants both and great footballers.

But for me, as I said above, the best Right Back in my memory has been Steve Nicol.

Another fantastic footballer and could play a few other positions equally as well.

In the side in the late 80's he was unreal at times.

they all had something in common ..they could defend
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 763 
      Reply #17: May 29, 2016 09:41:36 pm
      Obviously a defender's main job is to be a good defender. Anything else must be considered as an extra dimension to his defending skills. If that makes sense.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: May 29, 2016 09:43:43 pm
      We've had quite a few quality players at right back down the years and I've been lucky enough to have seen them play. Rob Jones (for me) could have been a true great but for injuries so...

It's down to Nichol, Neal and (the first LFC right back I ever saw live) Lawler. A toughy but Phil just about shades it in a three way photo finish.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: May 29, 2016 10:17:12 pm
      The top list for me includes Chris Lawler,Phil Neal,Steve Nicol and Rob Jones.Rob could of been one of our greatest if it was not for injuries.Rob was the grandson of Bill Jones(probably the most versatile player to have played for L.F.C.) he played full back as well.For me the best has to be Chris Lawler who with the wisdom of Bill Shankly was light years ahead as a wing back.It was unheard of in the 1960s for a full back to score so many goals and he did not take penalties.Chris Lawler gets my vote.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20: May 29, 2016 10:40:12 pm
      I'm not as old as that old duffer Eurored so I can't remember Chris Lawler playing  but I can see why Skip regards him in such high esteem, Phil Neale Mr reliable himself was outstanding and again a wee bit too early for me as a Red, so it has to be my fellow Scot Stevie Nicol, he was as versatile as they come, and since 'Sir Bob' brought him down from lowly Ayr Utd it proves what a brilliant judge he was,

I think he had to wait a while before he made his debut , might have been a whole season, not sure tho, anyhoo, he was well worth the wait wasn't he, solid, reliable and not to be fu**ed with, and he scored goals , scored a hat-trick against Newcastle in '87/88' season, not many defenders have done that,

Superb player, proper defender too.

YNWA
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: May 29, 2016 10:52:06 pm
      Steve Nicol.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #22: May 29, 2016 11:09:41 pm
      Philipp Degen!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #23: May 29, 2016 11:56:39 pm
      I'm not as old as that old duffer Eurored so I can't remember Chris Lawler playing  but I can see why Skip regards him in such high esteem,

F**k You Too Billy

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #24: May 30, 2016 12:27:53 am
      Scored a few as well. Not all from RB like, had played everywhere by the time he left us.

Neal right-back
      Nicol left-back - even though I liked Davie Burrows there!

Anyone mentioned the fashion icon that was Barry Venison yet!!

Would probably go for Phil Neal although glad to see Lawler mentioned
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #25: May 30, 2016 12:36:51 am
      I'm way too young to have seen most of the players named above play so I will have to go with the ones I've seen myself. Pity Glen Johnson was our right back for pretty much half the time since I started supporting Liverpool.  Though to be fair, he was a pretty decent right back the first few years.

I'll have to go with Finnan too, Mr. Reliable / consistent.

Great fun to read all the stories about our former players!

@ Eurored, quality post, was an interesting read.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #26: May 30, 2016 12:48:35 am
      Between  Lawler, Neal and Nicol for me with Neal just edging it. Neal was not only consistent but a cracking footballer too, who could pick a pass and who had played in almost every every position while at his previous club.

Pick him as right back , then just forget about that position for the rest of the season. Left Liverpool under a bit of a cloud because of Kenny getting the managers job, but doesn't take anything away from him as our best right back.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #27: May 30, 2016 12:49:18 am

I hope that's a joke mate.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #28: May 30, 2016 02:37:52 am
      We have had quite a lot of quality RBs over the years but I would go for Steve Nicol
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #29: May 30, 2016 03:13:46 am

Nope always thought he did well linking up with Barnes and preferred him at the time to Stan Staunton.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #30: May 30, 2016 03:42:51 am
      Steve Nicol could play anywhere, and was brilliant wherever he played, so people picking him now, they are not allowed to pick him again!

Phil Neal was probably our best, I agree with Saint here, if we had to pick a team of ages to compete, he would be our right back. He simply had everything. Our sub though would be Rob Jones, Gary Neville is only acknowledged now simply because Rob Jones had the worst luck with injuries. Look back at the England squad back then, it was always Rob Jones, never Gary Neville.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: May 30, 2016 04:14:01 am
      Sadly it's a choice between Johnson, Finnan and Arbeloa for me.

We didn't get to see every game in Australia when Markus Babbel was playing and the others are well before my time.

I'm going for Arbeloa. I love Finnan and it's a close call but Arby put on some defensive clinics on for us and that game against Barca at Anfield on Messi was the top of the lot.

And his celebrations were legendary.

Underwhelming choice of options given the names listed by people who saw us at our peak.
      « Last Edit: May 30, 2016 05:11:12 am by crouchinho »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #32: May 30, 2016 05:28:02 am
      From the players I've seen, Finnan and Nicol stand out. IllmGo with Nicol.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 763 
      Reply #33: May 30, 2016 06:45:19 am
      As well as full backs, we had the old fashioned centre half in those days. I know it's a bit off topic, but just thought how formations have changed from the past.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34: May 30, 2016 08:10:08 am
      Nope always thought he did well linking up with Barnes and preferred him at the time to Stan Staunton.

I'll wait till the Left Back thread to rip him apart :)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #35: May 30, 2016 10:18:17 am

He wasn't very good was he.

Staunton around that time was twice the left back.

Steve Nicol for me, just edges Rob Jones who, if it wasn't for injuries would have been my pick, don't remember too much of Neal, although I know him to BE one of the best.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #36: May 30, 2016 10:19:49 am
      they all had something in common ..they could defend

Wouldn't that make a refreshing change these days? Anyway, Phil Neal.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: May 30, 2016 10:45:24 am
      He only played 15 minutes there but for me Stevie Gerrard.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #38: May 30, 2016 11:49:23 am

No worries mate I've always respected my elders   ;)

YNWA
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #39: May 30, 2016 11:54:57 am
      Can't remember much of Lawler so I have to go with mr consistent Phil Neal just got on with the job ,
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #40: May 30, 2016 12:55:52 pm
      Phil Neal...not only could he defend but he was an ace penalty taker..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #41: May 30, 2016 03:35:13 pm
      He wasn't very good was he.

Staunton around that time was twice the left back.

Steve Nicol for me, just edges Rob Jones who, if it wasn't for injuries would have been my pick, don't remember too much of Neal, although I know him to BE one of the best.

Hahaha get to F**k, Stan was sh*te, only time he looked good was when he covered for Sander in goal!

Neal pisses this, plus along with Barney Rubble scored two European Cup Final goals.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #42: May 30, 2016 03:38:43 pm
      Underwhelming choice of options given the names listed by people who saw us at our peak.

Thats how good some of them listed such as Lawler, Neal and Nicol were in those positions.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #43: May 30, 2016 03:41:10 pm
      He only played 15 minutes there but for me Stevie Gerrard.

Played longer in that position than 15 minutes

Once played there in a derby at Anfield under Ged Houllier in 2000/01 season and terrored Idan Tal, including a superb tackle that nearly put Tal in the Lower Centenary!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #44: May 30, 2016 03:54:41 pm
      Phil Neal - one of the reasons being I've taken a photo with him! And he's won more trophies in his career than most clubs ever will in their history.

From the games I've downloaded and watched from the 80s, Steve Nicol also looked quite the player.

During my time as a fan, Steve Finnan was my favourite, although he was hardly a spectacular, world-beater kind of player.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #45: May 30, 2016 04:17:04 pm
      Heggam for me he had a good 20 minute cameo at West Ham once
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,010 posts | 3352 
      Reply #46: May 30, 2016 05:09:19 pm
      What a F***ing ton of talent we've had at right back.

From Chrissy Lawler in the 60s, right through to Nathaniel Clyne now. I'd go as far to say none of them have been special players but every one of them have been solid, dependable, consistently good. Even the stand in full backs seemed to do alright by and large, thinking primarily of Tommy Smith and Carra here.

There's three stand-out choices, Lawler, Neal and Nicol. Lawler was the attacking full back before it became a poncy modern day term that we all love to hear about now. 61 goals for a right back, with every one of them being from open play. Not F***ing bad is it? Phi Neal, Liverpool's most decorated player. Only player to win four European Cups with the club. I think he also holds the record for the most consecutive games for an outfield player for the club. Zico will always be the club's greatest right back. And then Stevie Nicol who continued the tradition of being an attacking right back. Got a hat-trick during his time here. Can't remember if he ended the season as top goalscorer or he was top for most of the year. Something like that. All three, great "attacking full backs" who at the end of the day were defenders first and foremost. How difficult is that to translate to today's game?

Unfortunately though, other than the very end of Steve Nicol's time here, I'm only going off videos and word of mouth to make my judgement for these three.

So in my lifetime, there's still been some quality. Rob Jones, Markus Babbel, Steve Finnan, Alvaro Arbeloa and Nathaniel Clyne. (yes I did purposely miss Glen Johnson out because he was F***ing sh*te)

Clyne, we'll rule him out for now because he's only had one full season with the club. In four or five years time though, he'll be right in the mix for our best Premier League right back. Arbeloa, I F***ing loved. And had he stayed here a little bit longer, he'd have given me more of a difficult decision. Rob Jones, again loved him. Solid and always got stuck it. He was actually decent going forward, despite never scoring.

For me though, the choice is between Babbel and Finnan. Babbel, on a free, was up there with the signings of Gary Mc and Sami Hyypia for value for money. He was only really in the team for 2000/01 before that horrific disease cut his time with us short, but in that time he was ace. First choice right back when we won the treble - playing more than anybody else other than Westerveld. And he has a Derby Day goal to his name.

But I'm gonna plump for Steve Finnan just for his solid, no frills attitude to football. He was in the team longer than Babbel. Was always a favourite of mine when he was here. And what I really liked about him, every year we would sign a new right back and he'd still hold that position as his own.

So for me it's Steve Finnan (although it's really Phil Neal)
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #47: May 30, 2016 06:49:32 pm
      Markus Babbel
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #48: May 30, 2016 10:18:46 pm
      Think I'd sway towards Nicol. Had the defensive abilities of Neal but far more going forward. Plus he was skilled at left back.

I vaguely remember him being named fans player of the year in the Barnes/Beardsley team too!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #49: May 30, 2016 10:28:34 pm
      Think I'd sway towards Nicol. Had the defensive abilities of Neal but far more going forward. Plus he was skilled at left back.

I vaguely remember him being named fans player of the year in the Barnes/Beardsley team too!

I think like a few more, I made the decision slightly easier by saving Steve Nicol for left back as we really haven't had too many great Left backs.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #50: May 30, 2016 10:38:59 pm

Didn't he win one of the main Player of the Year awards as well?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #51: May 30, 2016 11:16:52 pm
      Didn't he win one of the main Player of the Year awards as well?

Might have been what I meant.

I think like a few more, I made the decision slightly easier by saving Steve Nicol for left back as we really haven't had too many great Left backs.

Koncheskys got that sewn up.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #52: May 31, 2016 02:04:23 am
      Phil Neal
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #53: May 31, 2016 08:25:23 pm
      In my lifetime it's probably Steve Finnan, with an honourable mention to Jan Kronkamp  :f_tongueincheek:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #54: May 31, 2016 09:23:37 pm
      When he wasn't injured, Rob Jones moved with such grace, the timing of his tackles were immaculate, and his passing was rarely amiss. He also knew when to boot it into row z as well. The best iv'e seen at Anfield and always looked for him on the team sheet first. Just wasn't often enough.
      If we're looking for long term consistency, and not talent alone, i would go for Chris Lawler.  Another quiet kind of player, who just got on with it, but totally bamboozled opposition wingers and defenders with his powering runs.
      Hey, young Nathaniel's not bad either.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,846 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #55: May 31, 2016 09:27:00 pm
      Chris lawler for me ,the complete player
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #56: May 31, 2016 09:37:24 pm
      A bit more difficult than goalkeeper, this one. Again, can only go since 2000, so it's out of Babbel, Finnan, Arbeloa & Clyne.

Clyne obviously hasn't been here long enough to be put up for this award, but as DLS says above, he almost certainly will be in a few years time. Arbeloa was quality, solid and dependable, very much like Finnan who just about has the edge on him for me. Babbel played a pivotal role in the treble winning season of 2000/01.

So, narrowed it down to Steve Finnan & Markus Babbel. I'll probably go for Finnan.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #57: May 31, 2016 10:37:09 pm
      I go with Lawler, he's one of those players that built the backbone of the team of what turned out to be the "red machine" of years to come.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 665 posts | 86 
      Reply #58: May 31, 2016 11:42:11 pm
      So tough between Lawler, Neal and Nicol, some great cases for Lawler and quite rightly so. For me Neal just edges it for being a specialist in that position. Nicol was superb as well and more versatile, did he not once score a hat trick against Newcastle.

Neal wins my vote, where's the buttons?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #59: Jun 01, 2016 09:55:40 am
      Abel Xavier
      MsGerrard
      Reply #60: Jun 01, 2016 10:06:25 pm
      It's just gotta be Mr Phil Neal  ;D

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #61: Jun 01, 2016 10:19:55 pm
      Thanks for all the contributions.

Poll added.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #62: Jun 02, 2016 01:02:23 pm
      It's just gotta be Mr Phil Neal  ;D

For all you oldies? Defo.

;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #63: Jun 02, 2016 03:59:28 pm

Hey !!! Watch it young un  >:D >:D
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #64: Jun 02, 2016 04:55:42 pm
      I've been basing my votes off of players I've seen play, and so based on that it's Steve Finnan for me. Always loved the guy. Feel like in a few years time this could be Clynes spot to have though.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #65: Jun 02, 2016 05:36:56 pm
      I was looking through a list of right backs, and Jason McAteer came up. Surely he was a winger wasn't he? Either way he was a cracking player, always bursting down the wing.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #66: Jun 02, 2016 05:55:11 pm
      I was looking through a list of right backs, and Jason McAteer came up. Surely he was a winger wasn't he? Either way he was a cracking player, always bursting down the wing.

I was never really sure why we bought him. He was a pretty good midfielder at Bolton, but the only way he could get regular games with us seemed to be as a wing-back.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #67: Jun 02, 2016 06:03:05 pm
      I was never really sure why we bought him. He was a pretty good midfielder at Bolton, but the only way he could get regular games with us seemed to be as a wing-back.

He was a player I always liked, he was a real threat down the wing, but I know a lot of people dont rste him as high as me.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #68: Jun 02, 2016 06:12:45 pm
      He was a player I always liked, he was a real threat down the wing, but I know a lot of people dont rste him as high as me.

Was a good player, but for some reason his face didn't seem to fit. Better midfield player imo , but rarely got the chance with us.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #69: Jun 02, 2016 06:19:44 pm
      Was a good player, but for some reason his face didn't seem to fit. Better midfield player imo , but rarely got the chance with us.

I think it was the fact he was Scouse and played for Ireland that appealed to me! Two great characteristics  :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #70: Jun 02, 2016 06:22:06 pm
      I think it was the fact he was Scouse and played for Ireland that appealed to me! Two great characteristics  :)

Probably why his face didn't fit...born troublemaker :)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #71: Jun 02, 2016 08:31:07 pm
      Chris Lawler scored 41 goals for Liverpool and I think Phil Neal only scored 27 including penalties. Lawler was a ghost of a player arriving in the box unnoticed.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #72: Jun 02, 2016 10:15:42 pm
      Chris Lawler scored 41 goals for Liverpool and I think Phil Neal only scored 27 including penalties. Lawler was a ghost of a player arriving in the box unnoticed.

I like ghost players, they can read the game well and somewhat intelligent. We don't have too many after the 1990. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #73: Jun 03, 2016 08:41:38 am
      I like ghost players, they can read the game well and somewhat intelligent. We don't have too many after the 1990. 

I think most fullbacks after 1990 all based their careers on the roadrunner.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #74: Jun 03, 2016 08:54:53 am
      Lots of great shouts above, Lawyer, Neal, Nicol, Jones, Finnan, Babbel, Arbeloa,  the magnificent 7, obviously depending  in which decade that particular player was prolific, the time span is over 50 yrs, quite incredible really, maybe I'm just getting old,

(but not as old as Skip)

I'm assuming our best LB is next, followed by the CB's, Sh*t, that's going to be interesting, I'm pondering already  :f_doh:

YNWA
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #75: Jun 04, 2016 04:01:59 am
      Massive mentions here to Lawler and Neal as many previous posts have alluded to, but they were before my time and it me be wrong to go on about and choose someone on that basis.

The stand outs that come to mind for me since I've started watching start with Stevie Nicol, what a player imo was a hard Scottish defender who could definitely play a bit and so versatile. Didn't he score a hat trick v Newcastle at one time? Remember being at Hillsborough when he scored an absolute peach of a goal from outside the box.

Then there was Rob Jones, what a talent. Could play either side even though he was more natural on the right, Evans moving him over to the left to accommodate McAteer when we starting using wing backs. It was a big shame that such a talent was cut short by injury as he really was a joy to watch for someone such as myself, who likes to view a full back firstly as a defender and secondly what he offers going forward. Would have loved him to get that illusive goal we all craved!

My selection is going to be from the above 2 but special mentions have to go to Marcus Babbel, who was excellent in the treble winning side and could well have been chosen had he been able to play for longer period. Stevie Finnan who was Mr consistant he was like Ronseal (did exactly what it said on the tin). Alvaro Arbeloa who again along the lines of Babbel if he'd stayed longer could well have forced my hand, he was consistently good in a very good team.

I also we believe we've a good un at right back in Nathaniel Clyne, I know people question what he does in the attacking third but in my opinion he'll be a solid regular for years to come.

Some list there over the last 30 years, but planning ahead and thinking who I'm playing at left back (as imo the choice is not as good) I'm giving Rob Jones the number 2 shirt. I will say though if I weren't putting Stevie Nicol in at left back (spoiler alert!!! :o) he'd have just nicked it.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #76: Jun 07, 2016 12:58:07 pm
      Phil Neal . All day. Every day
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #77: Jun 28, 2016 05:30:44 pm
      Finnan's the best I ever got to see. No nonsense defender, anything else is a bonus. Don't get them like that anymore.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,235 posts | 2813 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #78: Jun 29, 2016 01:26:52 pm
      Neal and silent night are the obvious ones, but I went with Rob Jones, I adored him never seen a player getting the better of him, if only he scored a few goals!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #79: Jun 30, 2016 03:36:54 pm
      Neal and silent night are the obvious ones, but I went with Rob Jones, I adored him never seen a player getting the better of him, if only he scored a few goals!!

Some people would be rich :laugh:

Funny the amount of lads I used to know who loved throwing a few quid on Rob Jones scoring a goal every game!
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #80: Jul 02, 2016 03:41:15 pm
      Some people would be rich :laugh:

Funny the amount of lads I used to know who loved throwing a few quid on Rob Jones scoring a goal every game!

Rob Jones - the player who never scored for Liverpool...
      Went for Phil.
      Medellin
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #81: Jul 03, 2016 08:27:15 am
      This is closer than some give credit for,I have to go for Phil Neal tho-just pipping Lawler..just.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #82: Jul 05, 2016 01:26:03 pm
      Phil neal

Quick Reply