Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Liverpool's greatest ever left back?

Alec Lindsay
      (1.6%)
      Alan Kennedy
      (41.5%)
      Jim Beglin
      (1.6%)
      Gerry Byrne
      (4.9%)
      John Arne Riise
      (26.8%)
      Steve Staunton
      (1.6%)
      Fabio Aurelio
      (4.1%)
      Steve Nicol
      (17.9%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Left Back

Read 7914 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Left Back
      Jun 05, 2016 11:10:39 am
      Great discussion we've had for the first full back so now its over to the other side.

In my opinion we've not been as well blessed on the left side of the defense over the years and again if the old hands have a few from back in the day that would be good to hear.

More recently its been one of our problem positions so maybe not many obvious candidates from this era.

For me there is one outstanding candidate and I think will comfortably top the vote when it happens.

As always folks don't forget to vote for your Keeper and Right Back if you haven't done already.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Left Back
      Reply #1: Jun 05, 2016 11:19:51 am
      Alan Kennedy for me Si.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2: Jun 05, 2016 11:22:27 am

Can hardly remember him but im swayed to saying him as I've never seen us blessed with a great one since his time here.

Alan Kennedy.

Edit. Feels like you've got a stint as a chat room host or soemthing here Si :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #3: Jun 05, 2016 11:22:40 am

That's the one.

Shall we put the poll up now? ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Jun 05, 2016 11:39:26 am
      That's the one.

Shall we put the poll up now? ;D

I did also like Jim Beglin when he first appeared on the scene. 

I remember my Dad saying in his first game "How do Liverpool keep doing this?  They bring a player in that nobody's heard of and they look like they've been playing in the team for years".

We had that knack in those days but then not many realised they'd been in the ressies for years learning the ropes.

Maybe we don't need a poll Si although I'm sure the younger Reds will have their favourites too.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Jun 05, 2016 11:50:43 am
      Alan Kennedy and Alec Lindsay are two players who were faithful servants to the club.
      Some honours there between them.

My vote has to go to Gerry Byrne.
      A local Liverpool lad.

Not only was he a capable left back in those early years ... joinng the club under then Don Welsh  as manager  ...but he is part of Liverpool FC folklore for his part in the events of Saturday May 1st 1965.

It was the Cup Final and Bobby Collins of Leeds collided into him in the 3rd minute.

For the next 117 minutes of the game (it having gone into extra time) Gerry played with the jagged edges of a broken collar bone rubbing together.
      There were no subs allowed then and he stayed on the field in that condition for next two hours the sake of the team and the game.

Shanks was manager and Bob Paisley was physio that day.

We went on to win 2-1 .
      Saint got the winner from a brilliant header in extra time.

In 2009 Gerry deservedly was awarded a belated World Cup Winner's medal with others who were in the squad.
      Originally only the 11 players who were on the pitch in July 66 had then got one.

Gerry passed away last November.

An LFC hero and and true legend.

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2016 01:52:23 pm by eurored »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #6: Jun 05, 2016 12:53:47 pm
      Only just about remember Alan Kennedy. 

Staunton, Riise have probably been the longest serving left backs since then but on the basis of what I've seen Beglin was probably the best, albeit for such a short time.

Won the double though.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Jun 05, 2016 01:01:56 pm
      Beglin Staunton in my life time, special mention to Aurelio who could have been had he not been made of glass.
      Kopite78
      Reply #8: Jun 05, 2016 01:08:45 pm
      Only just about remember Alan Kennedy. 

Staunton, Riise have probably been the longest serving left backs since then but on the basis of what I've seen Beglin was probably the best, albeit for such a short time.

Won the double though.

Similar age to me by those players mate.

Have to say my I have some fond memories of Stig from my early - mid teens.. Wasn't the best left back but loved his left peg onto Robbies head

Aurelio had great technique too, just couldn't get on the pitch enough

I'd probably just go the other way though with Stan Staunton over Beglin
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: Jun 05, 2016 01:14:22 pm
      If I base it on who I've seen play, that leaves me with Riise, Traore, Aurelio, Dossena, Enrique, Moreno and this guy:

Mods lock the thread, we have the winner :laugh:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Jun 05, 2016 01:44:35 pm
      Heard so many things about Alan Kennedy, a true great.

From who I've seen play it's not that great to be honest. Would have to go Riise I suppose. In his prime he was very good. Shame he had a shocking last few seasons mind you.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #11: Jun 05, 2016 06:56:06 pm
      Haven't got a great choice from the players I've seen. Has to be Riise for me, but let's be honest Kennedy is winning this all day long :D
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #12: Jun 05, 2016 07:03:56 pm
      Aurelio for me. Twice the player or Riise.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #13: Jun 05, 2016 07:37:36 pm
      Reading the number of players we've had at left back the last 30 years only highlights how much of a problem position it has been.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #14: Jun 05, 2016 08:06:59 pm
      I suppose I should mention Gerry Byrne, but I only ever saw him play once against Wolves (I think) and he played in midfield that day as Emlyn was injured. I think he played in a couple of games that season as he tried and failed to come back from his knee (?) injury.

For me it is between Alan Kennedy, Steve Nicol and Alec Lindsey and as I have already promised Nicol  a place I will stick with him.

Not been quite as blessed with left backs as right, with more good players than great players, but Nicol was without doubt a great player.

Just a quick mention for Avi Cohen (the new Beckenbauer) wasn't quite that good :) but scored both against us then for us in the game in which we won the title against Villa.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Jun 05, 2016 08:08:42 pm
      If I base it on who I've seen play, that leaves me with Riise, Traore, Aurelio, Dossena, Enrique, Moreno and this guy:

Mods lock the thread, we have the winner :laugh:

You're the same age as me. So based on those, Riise by a few miles.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16: Jun 05, 2016 09:31:02 pm
      'Joey's gonna get ya, Joey's gonna get ya' was a song I heard emanating from the Kop via our TV set way back in the mid 70's, Sir Bob bought him from Wrexham where Bob converted him from RB,

this might have been one of the first songs I heard as I took a interest in Liverpool FC, I'm Scottish if you didn't already know, anyhoo, since I only seen him on a wee 22" tv and by the time I myself was visiting Anfield I can't really give him my vote,

also I voted Stevie Nicol (without thinking properly) as my RB so as much as I would have liked to have two Stevie Nicol's on the same pitch, it's a no no,

That old dog Skip does it again by naming another true Anfield hero in Gerry Byrne before my time of course, as was the great Alec Lyndsey, so I'm in a bit of a kerfuffle, well not really because like, How can you not give it to Barney, proper living legend and modest to a tee, the fella is so grounded you could call him Tarmac, Alan Kennedy, two winning goals in two European cup finals, from LB, doesn't get much better does it, you could add 5 league winners medals, the 4 league cup winners medals aswell, 251 appearances for LFC scoring 15 goals( got the last bit from  wiki),

We've had a few good uns after haven't we, Nicol, Stan Staunton, Dave Burrows, J Arne-Riise(how did he score that goal?) , Fab Fabio Aurelio, ....

....Barney romps it for me.

YNWA

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #17: Jun 05, 2016 10:09:50 pm
      Nicol for me.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #18: Jun 05, 2016 11:15:55 pm
      As with the right back position, there's three stand out contenders. Unfortunately though, all three were long before my lifetime.

Gerry Byrne, one of the greatest stories in Liverpool history. The 65 Cup final. Breaks his collar bone in the first couple of minutes and still goes on to play the entire game - that went to extra time an all. Was also part of the 66 World Cup winning squad. Not surprising considering he was in the team that won promotion in 62, won the League in 64, FA Cup in 65 and regained the League in 66.

Alan Kennedy, lets face it if you score two European Cup winning goals you're gonna be held in the highest regard. Especially when one of those goals is against the world's second biggest club (Real Madrid) and the other is a winning penalty against a side in their own back yard (Roma). Quite the turnaround for a fella who was told on his debut by Bob Paisley that they'd shot the wrong Kennedy. Still involved with the club on the media side, which shows his loyalty to Liverpool. Barney will win this by a landslide - at least he should.

Third mention is to one of Liverpool's greatest servants - Ronnie Moran. Words can't express how much I love this man and truth be told, every Liverpool fan should. Devoted his entire life to the club he loves. Just having a quick look down the appearance list, Ronnie is the highest ranked for any out and out left back. He retired some 50 years ago, and he's still played more than any out and out left back. Says it all really. That's before what you consider he did on the coaching staff and to this day he still goes to Melwood. F***ing hell I love him.

Honourable mentions to Joey Jones and Steve Nicol. Joey has the greatest banner of any Liverpool player. He was brave enough to take on the entire Barcelona crowd on his todd when they were throwing cushions at the players - even though they were throwing them at their own players. He'd never shirk a tackle, it's exactly the sort of player we could do with now. And Steve Nicol, who I think will get a lot of votes. He was quality on the left, despite being a right back by trade. His versatility would be invaluable, though I think we've had better left backs that were before my time.

From 91, we've had some F***ing dross. I've seen people saying Aurelio as a possibility, he was a F***ing joke. Absolute sh*te. And probably looked slightly better because of the other sh*t we've had recently. Moreno, Dossena, Insua, Konchesky, Vignal, Traore. God it hurts to keep going. Even Warnock and Ziege were average, though I must admit I did like both during their time here. Staunton was way past his best when he came back - thought he did alright for Villa before we got him back though.

When you're seriously considering putting a right back or centre half out there, it shows just how poor we have been in that position. Riise will probably win for those who are judging it Premier League only and he was alright we he first arrived, grew into the role then after a couple of years gradually got worse. I'd be disappointed if Riise is our best left back.

I could throw Arbeloa there. His first Liverpool start and he keeps Messi in his pocket all game at the Nou Camp. I could pick Carra because it's easier to find a centre half to join Sami Hyypia, then it is to decide on a left back so throwing Carra out there makes the centre half decison easier. I know he hated it and I know he struggled at times but he has to be in the team and like I said it's easier to find another centre half.

In the end though I've gone for Stig. I thought he was always a decent hand, a defender first who went forward when he could. And what a F***ing cross he had on him. I think he really benefited from Roy Evans' wingback style. Solid, no frills. Very much like Steve Finnan who I picked for the right.

So my pick is Stig Inge Bjornebye although in reality it could be anybody pre-90 because even the sh*t left backs back then (Ablett, Venison, Burrows) were better than what we've had since.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Jun 06, 2016 12:15:17 am
      The names that shout out to be considered the best left back are for me the following Eddie Spicer,he suffered a broken leg twice and had to retire when he was in his prime.Gerry Byrne who if it was not for him our first F.A. Cup would probably never of arrived at Anfield in 1965.Then we had Alec Lindsay a  half back who Shanks converted to a cultured left full back.Barney Rubble will always figure up there with the best.Another one who deserves to named with the best is Ronnie Moran,he did an excellent job for us and served us loyally for many years.
                                                           My pick has to be Gerry Byrne for that brave performance at Wembley in 1965-R.I.P.Gerry.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #20: Jun 06, 2016 02:27:22 am
      Julian Dicks? Rob Jones, no?

OK then, has to be Steve Staunton for me. I would go for Alan Kennedy but everyone other oldy is jumping on that bandwagon!

Steve Staunton was our lefty Steve Finnan.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #21: Jun 06, 2016 02:38:27 am
      I think Alan Kennedy, Stevie Nicol or Joey Jones would get it in that order.

However in the past 15 years, Aurelio was the best player we had there, just made of glass.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #22: Jun 06, 2016 02:53:00 am
      Alan Kennedy, for the same reason of Phil Neal: because I've met him once! ;D (I was with Cas and Kenny at the time)

Now, seriously, I can only talk about players I've seen in my time as a fan and in that period John Arne Riise was easily my favourite.

Quick Reply